Old 18th September 2014, 12:28   #1
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

VLC plugin for AVS?

Hi i was wondering if anyone could build a working, or beta module for vlc. and i will test and debug the plugin for you as i dont use winamp anymore as it doesn't play some video files (MKV, 1080p) and is old.

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 12:42   #2
DrO

you're probably asking in the wrong place for such a request. maybe J_Darnley's potential AVS-like library might be a suitable candidate for what you're wanting to have), but expecting someone to offer to provide a VLC plug-in on the Winamp forums is pretty much unlikely to get much of a response i think.

as for Winamp being old, VLC is old as well but each to their own
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 19:58   #3
TomyLobo
Major Dude

At least VLC wasn't discontinued 9 months ago.
We'll see how this radionomy deal works out.

The problem I have with AVS is that it crashes all the time for no good reason.
Since I don't do much with it anymore, I never really bothered looking into it though.

If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic.
TomyLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 20:03   #4
DrO

sold is not the same thing as discontinued! and as i've had to point out numerous times now, there's been year+ gaps between Winamp desktop updates so we're well under the maximum interval which has been seen.

as for AVS crashing, it all depends on the OS, the version of AVS being used (2.81 is better on XP compared to 2.82 on Vista+) but all will generally crash as that's what AVS does and was why Milkdrop was chosen as the default vis plug-in over 7 years ago now (and it tends to be the old apes which are the main cause from what i've found when trying to resolve some of the stability issues).
Old 20th September 2014, 20:08   #5
TomyLobo
Major Dude

The last mail I got from Nullsoft/AOL said that it was discontinued and I haven't received a contrary statement yet.

Yes, I live under a rock and if someone slips a notice under my rock, I can reasonably expect a counter-notice if things change, don't you think?

Back when I was still actively using AVS, it was not crashing. That's a new phenomenon, introduced in one of the 2.81 versions, iirc.

If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic.
TomyLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 20:18   #6
DrO

a reciprocating email couldn't be sent out as the email list was not available post-sale and you can't send something like that without knowing who to send it to. also if Winamp had gone, this forum would definitely not be here. there also would not be news sticky threads in the main sections of the forum (and on the temporary winamp.com site). so it's not like there isn't information to the contrary of what happened.

AVS has always crashed (it just varied by how much) but as i say, it depends a lot on the OS as to what will or will not work better compared to what has gone before or after. either way, AVS will not be vis plug-in shipped directly with the 6.x release next year as it's too unstable (even when flipping between 2.81b/d and 2.82 to find what works best individually). also the inability to provide a stable plug-in despite numerous attempts at people to fix it means it's not getting any 'official' love.
Old 26th September 2014, 22:48   #7
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTFURY View Post
Hi i was wondering if anyone could build a working, or beta module for vlc
Yeah, how about you do it?
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 05:15   #8
the SASS Man

Quote:
Hi i was wondering if anyone could build a [AVS] module for vlc....
I don't now about most Winamp users, but I would never use a visualization plugin for VLC in the first place. I only use VLC for playing partial and/or corrupt video files, and for launching video files silently from within other applications. At present, I'm not aware of ANY pure audio formats that can't be played in Winamp either natively, or with an easily downloaded plugin. In fact, with the latest Codec packs, nearly every type of Video file can be played by Winamp, too...but who'd use a visualization along with those? On dual or triple screens, maybe.

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 03:34   #9
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

I'm not much of a coder myself i only basic html/css skills but google searching finds this:
https://wiki.videolan.org/Hacker_Gui...rite_a_Module/

Source:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=295512

Old 29th September 2014, 20:58   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I'm confused about the need for this project.
You say you don't use wa anymore because of some video issues. Who uses AVS with video files in the first place? And because wa is old? no matter how old the latest version is, AVS is much, much older.

Just using winamp is a much simpler solution.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 02:46   #11
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
I'm confused about the need for this project.
You say you don't use wa anymore because of some video issues. Who uses AVS with video files in the first place? And because wa is old? no matter how old the latest version is, AVS is much, much older.

Just using winamp is a much simpler solution.
it maybe the simpler solution for you, but i am slowly moving away from windows and vlc is just fine for me as it can a variety of things that winamp can't - e.g. mkv, webm, flv.
i'm just hopefully pointing avs in the right direction as latest avs doesn't even work with the latest version winamp does it?

switching to linux is something i will do be doing in future as windows 7/8/8.1/10 is absolute rubbish compared to debian or linux mint, and try comparing to this kali linux is a joke, as it even has built-in programming tools

Old 4th November 2014, 11:06   #12
DrO

AVS works as well as it can do in the current Winamp version which is the same as its been going back over the years as its as intermittent as its ever been to who it is ok for or not.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:06   #13
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
I'm not much of a coder myself
Quote:
windows 7/8/8.1/10 is absolute rubbish compared to debian or linux mint, and try comparing to this kali linux is a joke, as it even has built-in programming tools
keep talking, we're so impressed
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS

Tags
avs, vlc, vlc-plugin