Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 13th July 2015, 17:05   #1
sankt

The day of reckoning for adobe flash moves closer

Facebook’s new chief security officer, Alex Stamos, has stated publicly that he wants to see Adobe end Flash once and for all.

Stamos' call for the end of Flash likely has to do with a great deal of new Flash-related revelations. Following the highly-publicized Hacking Team hack, which saw a major surveillance company’s files completely leaked online, a slew of new vulnerabilities have been disclosed relating to Adobe’s Flash player.

http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...e-flash-2015-7

And people still think flash is safe ? Wow, really . . . . .

It should die off, like active x did.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 14:01   #2
DJ-Garybaldy

Firefox sort of killed flash with it's latest update anyway., Firefox now automatically blocks flash.

I'd imagine this is going to force a lot of stations to change the player on their website.

RIP Flash you were annoying at times...

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:27   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am not at home, and I experience the same problems in Firefox also today. I think, in Google Chrome I will get the same blocking and warning.

Already some days ago someone else told me about these problems, after the latest meeting was finished. He mentioned also the report on BSI, a security institution in Potsdam near Berlin. I have searched now for "bsi adobe flash player"...
https://www.google.de/search?q=bsi+a...qXGsrgywP7q5Bo

I should tell my friend in "What are You listening to right now?", why I cannot play his video-mix. But also I myself have many music in YouTube, SoundCloud, Mixcloud etc., and I think, currently the music cannot be played.

I am glad to have my Winamps at home on my PC & notebook. I can use them also in offline mode...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:06   #4
DrO

it still gives you the means to allow the flash to be used (and the blocking is no more different than has been present in the last few versions of Firefox where you often get prompted if you want to allow it or not).

and until HTML5 can replicate the main Flash functionality without the restrictions / implementation differences (lack of AAC playback is still one area that Flash wins over HTML5 audio / video playback), Flash is still going to be a around for a while to come, however much people want it to go away.

as such, yes it's not great there are issues in Flash (or it still exists if you're in that camp - I couldn't care either way), but there's issues in the browsers and OS that it runs on as well and what's in the press today is just seemingly over-hype for something that's been the common view point for years (e.g. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=380456).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:21   #5
sankt

How a Russian hacker made $45,000 selling a 0-day Flash exploit to Hacking Team

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015...-hacking-team/

It's nothing but a big conspiracy to discredit Adobe - nothing to see - move along. But most of all, continue to install Flash, we need to exploit more computers please

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 14th July 2015, 16:49   #6
gaekwad2
Foorum King

As long as our "freedom loving" governments keep funding thugs like Hacking Team there's not much hope.

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Don't worry, God won't let you suffocate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 15:56   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

It's a long standing practice to 'use a crook to catch a crook' and what Capitalist doesn't sell to both sides whenever possible.

As for Firefox, it's management policies keep driving people to use other browsers. For the past few years, Firefox is either behind the curve, or ahead of it, in providing what most people want in a web browser, imo.

I agree with DrO, "Flash is still going to be a around for a while to come, however much people want it to go away.".

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 16:56   #8
gaekwad2
Foorum King

More like using any crook you can get hold of to achieve an illusory sense of control.

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Don't worry, God won't let you suffocate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 06:32   #9
sankt

The current W3Techs Web Technology survey places Flash usage on websites at only 10.6 percent globally. It dropped 3 percentage points in just 1 year for global use as well.

http://w3techs.com/technologies/deta...-flash/all/all

Old 28th July 2015, 15:43   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I don't know yet very much about the "Successor for the Adobe Flash Player", I simply didn't make experiences. But at least I am glad, that I can visit again the music websites.

I remember, in 2012 I have raged, because again the profile layout of a music website had been changed, and someone said, it would be because HTML should be used instead of the Adobe Flash Player in this music website. I was very angry. But I think, the website owners just want to make the music websites more compatible with the mobile devices, with Android and iOS, so that new Apps can be developed and used.

Of course I want to know, how the successor will look and work in the future, also for the mobile devices, not only for the home computer.

I am still missing the old beautiful profile layouts in the music websites. I am trying to compensate this loss a little bit, at least privately...

Old 28th July 2015, 16:12   #11
sankt

To fully embrace all platforms - HTML 5 based solutions must be used. Especially with the growing market for Apple devices, and their disdain for Flash.

Old 28th July 2015, 18:34   #12
DrO

though as not all HTML5 solutions are created equal, it's not going to do it as is imho (especially when some solutions generate multiple connection requests for streaming despite being instructed not to do so - I so love HTML5 audio playback on Android using Chrome...).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 07:07   #13
sankt

Cisco: Flash exploits are soaring

Cisco is reporting that successful exploits of Flash vulnerabilities are soaring, partly because they are rapidly being incorporated in kits that take advantage of the flaws as well as because enterprises aren't patching fast enough, which leaves them open to attack.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/297...e-soaring.html

But wait, there's more ... they expect the frequency and severity of the exploit attacks against Adobe Flash to continue to get worse.

Yep - you gotta love Flash ... NOT.

Old 14th October 2015, 06:24   #14
sankt

Flash takes on the government by storm, yet again. Go Flash Go!

New Flash flaw lets you beat White House and NATO security.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10...flash_zeroday/

Old 15th October 2015, 15:23   #15
DJ-Garybaldy

IMPORTANT!

A critical vulnerability (CVE-2015-7645) has been identified in Adobe Flash Player 19.0.0.207 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. Successful exploitation could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/pro...apsa15-05.html

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/1...uninstall-now/

Old 16th October 2015, 15:29   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Since Flash is under constant attack for manipulation, it is updated every month or sooner. The current version is 19.0.0.226. It will probably be compromised soon (if it hasn't been already), but there will be a new version next month (or sooner).

If Flash is needed by the sites you use, then it should be setup to automatically update itself.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 00:03   #17
hedron

It's about time. Flash player is something that should never have been. It was just a poor work around to get in browser graphics.
hedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 00:13   #18
sankt

Adobe is finally ready to say goodbye to Flash. In an announcement last night, Adobe said that it will now "encourage content creators to build with new web standards," such as HTML5, rather than Flash. It's also beginning to deprecate the Flash name by renaming its animation app to Animate CC, away from Flash Professional CC.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...ash/ar-AAfTImb

Old 2nd December 2015, 00:27   #19
sankt

The SS Adobe Flash on her final voyage . . . .

Old 2nd December 2015, 14:27   #20
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I should ask, how would the changes effect to YouTube, SoundCloud, Mixcloud etc., where they have many good music. How will it look in the future and will I realize the changes?

BTW, I am sitting at the computer in the meeting-point, and the music-video with the Jingle Cats in YouTube is hanging right now...

Old 2nd December 2015, 19:08   #21
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I don't know about the other websites but YT hasn't been using flash for some time now. Try uninstalling it and see if you could notice the difference. (Except for annoying updates and 'free' McAfee installs)

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:34   #22
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

This is not a computer at home now. I am sitting in the computer-room of the meeting point, at a computer with Linux. In the thread "What are you listening to right now?" I see only the message, that the Adobe Flash Player would have to be updated: „Dieses Plugin ist verwundbar und sollte aktualisiert werden. - Adobe Flash aktivieren - Auf Updates prüfen…“

I don't know, if both Linux Computers have Adobe Flash or not. But at least mostly I can play YouTube Videos, although the internet connection is very slow,

At home I am very lonely since 24th December 2014, and I don't want to talk about, why. But at least I am still able to work on my photos etc. and to listen with Winamp...

Old 6th January 2016, 05:21   #23
sankt

Exploit broker places $100k bounty on bypassing Flash Player's latest defenses

A little over two weeks have passed since Adobe strengthened Flash Player with new security defenses, and there's already interest in the commercial exploit market for ways around them.

Zerodium, a company that buys unpatched and unreported exploits from third-party researchers, announced on Twitter that it is offering $100,000 for exploits that bypass Flash Player's latest "heap isolation" protection. This memory defense mechanism makes exploiting certain types of security flaws much harder. These account for a large portion of the Flash Player flaws exploited by hackers in recent years to infect computers with malware.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/301...-defenses.html

Yep, Flash just keeps getting better and better - for those that continue to use it.

* NOT *

Old 11th February 2016, 16:20   #24
sankt

Adobe Flash gets a huge smack down . . .

Google helping to kick Adobe Flash to the curb

In a recent post to the Google+ AdWords page, Google said that it has been pushing its partners to use HTML5 instead of Flash. It’s a much more efficient and modern alternative. “To enhance the browsing experience for more people on more devices, the Google Display Network and DoubleClick Digital Marketing are now going 100% HTML5,” Google said.

The changes will begin on June 30th, when users will no longer be able to upload display ads built in Flash to AdWords and DoubleClick. Then, on January 2, 2017, Google will officially flip the off switch on Flash ads inside of the Google Display Network.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02...h-to-the-curb/

It wont be long before the other major advertising players like Yahoo and Bing will follow suit. Major entities continue dumping Adobe Flash like a bad habit, and soon, very soon Adobe Flash will be a thing of the past

Old 12th February 2016, 15:21   #25
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Currently I am sitting at a computer with Windows and not with Linux. I have a YouTube-Video running in a second tab, and it still works, although I don't know, if Adobe Flash is on the computer or not. For "What are you listening to right now?" I have decided to post also the video-link, which has to be https, not only the video itself, which was displayed successfully in the past. Now I cannot play it directly in the posting itself anymore. In 2015 I had problems with some posted photos or with the posting of new photos. At least I have an explanation now, why I don't find the posted photos in "Blood Red Moon" anymore.

Edit:
I have just tested my playlist "All my Tracks" on SoundCloud, and although it looks differently from Linux, it works, too. Also the music on Bandcamp works, where I am checking a new album by Vytis.

Old 13th February 2016, 00:11   #26
sankt

Many major sites are now using HTML 5 as the default method for multimedia playerback. If you do not have Adobe Flash installed - then you are using the default HTML 5 multimedia player.

Old 17th February 2016, 14:59   #27
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have continued the tests on MyOwnMusic, Vimeo, Tumblr, PureVolume, ReverbNation. On the first one and the last one I got the music running.

I want to leave my single post also here...
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=27243

Maybe I really use the default HTML 5 multimedia player...

Old 17th February 2016, 16:26   #28
sankt

The changes are rapidly coming and companies realize that Flash is not what it used to be. Flash is a compromise waiting to happen.

Old 17th February 2016, 19:22   #29
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I'm curious to see if HTML5 has that much less security flaws once it becomes more mainstream.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 18th February 2016, 00:42   #30
sankt

For HTML 5 video and audio players - there is nothing to download. It relies on codecs already incorporated into the web browser itself.

Old 19th March 2016, 03:30   #31
sankt

More Adobe Flash vulnerabilities found in hacker competition, imagine that!

Out of the 21 total vulnerabilities, six were in browsers and six were in the OS kernels. The rest were in Flash Player or OS components and processes.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...el-issues.html

Old 30th March 2016, 14:07   #32
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

At least SHOUTcast Radio on its main website seems to run also without the latest version of Adobe Flash, while my Tumblr Profile still does not work. The test in Firefox was necessary now.

Hopefully we will get also the other music websites running soon, those music websites, which don't work yet.

Old 8th April 2016, 04:06   #33
sankt

Flash is now being used to deliver ransomware attacks.

Adobe issues emergency update to Flash after ransomware attacks

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ad...-idUSKCN0X502K

Old 8th April 2016, 07:13   #34
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Flash is now being used to deliver ransomware attacks.

Adobe issues emergency update to Flash after ransomware attacks

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ad...-idUSKCN0X502K
I read that yesterday it's scary to think malware exists in so many ways now. I've disabled all aspects of flash on this browser & computer (Actually did that about 4 months ago)

I don't want my PC being at risk.

OK So I can't view videos on a few sites but that's no biggie. Don't watch a lot of them anyway.

Flash sucked at the best of times anyway.

Old 8th April 2016, 15:18   #35
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have continued the tests on 22 TRACKS, Mixcloud, My Cloud Player, Mixlr...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07744&page=682

And this week they have warned also in the TV-News. This ransomware really seems to be very dangerous. The victims are pressed to pay money, but they have no warranty, that their computers will be unlocked after paying it. They got recommended not to pay, they should contact the police instead...

Old 11th April 2016, 07:39   #36
sankt

Microsoft will disable Flash ads by default in new versions of its Edge browser.

The Redmond software peddler said the upcoming Anniversary Update to Windows 10 will introduce a switched-on setting that disables some Flash content, requiring users to specifically activate Adobe's plugin. If you have the Windows Insider preview build 14316, then you already have the feature.

"One of our top priorities in building Edge has been that the web should be a dependably safe, performant, and reliable place for our customers," Microsoft said in announcing the feature.

"To that end, we're introducing a change to give users more control over the power and resources consumed by Flash."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04...flash_in_edge/

Now Microsoft is kicking Adobe Flash to the curb!

Old 11th April 2016, 17:53   #37
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I feel a lot of websites lacking in stepping away from flash.
A lot of embedded video players are still based on flash. these forums for one (try using the [youtube] tag) . But then, these forums are ancient...

Old 12th April 2016, 04:07   #38
sankt

If Adobe tells folks to start using something else other than Flash because they are shifting priorities - I would pretty much take Adobe at their word and use something else.

Old 12th April 2016, 15:12   #39
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I have visited Dailymotion, hearthis.at and Jamendo, and I have stayed on Jamendo. I was again in "What are you listening to right now?", and it is very strange, that today I can see the posted YouTube-Videos in the thread. Then I should check out also, if I can see the posted photos in "Kittehs for widdy"...

Edit:
I can see again my posted photos from Photobucket, and I just have posted another one successfully...

Old 17th June 2016, 03:11   #40
sankt

Adobe warns: Cyberespionage group targeting critical Flash bug

http://www.infoworld.com/article/308...flash-bug.html

Gee, imagine that . . . . . .

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions