Old 11th October 2015, 23:08   #1
ariszlo

Messed-up skins at winampskins.info

A lot of skins are messed up at winampskins.info:
  1. They contain bitmaps with duplicate filenames in different case such as main.bmp and Main.bmp.
  2. The name of the skin is different from the filename of the wsz archive.
  3. The same messed up skin is also available with the same name as the filename of the wsz archive.

Here is an example:
  1. WWW.Seska.com amp by Neil Harvey ("Date added: May 14, 2015") contains bitmaps from Creative v1.2 by Christ Vrouwe.
  2. The filename of the skin archive is Creative_v1.2.wsz
  3. The same messed up skin is also available as Creative v1 2 ("Date added: Aug 23, 2006").

And this is not a rare exception. All of the following recently added skins have left-over bitmaps from other skins and are duplicates of skins with other names:
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 18:59   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Sounds like a site to avoid. I recommend garetjax's 1001Skins (http://www.1001skins.com/Pages/gallery). He is making some improvements at the moment, so the site is not fully functional.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 15:31   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oh yes, winampskins.info, I remember...

Fortunately I have wszview.exe, so I previewed the downloaded Classic Skins before doing copy & paste. Many of them didn't come into my Winamps on my PC & notebook, because they looked differently from the downloaded screenshots. Also I found many doubles with 2 or more filenames. And I had downloaded Classic Skins with 0 KB. In Germany we have the phrase: "Ich möchte nicht die Katze im Sack kaufen", I don't know, if there is a similar phrase in English. Otherwise I got some Classic Skins only from winampskins.info and from no other website.

But mostly I was more on the other websites: deviantART, customize.org, Winamp Heritage, 1001Skins and Skin Consortium...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 14:18   #4
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

It was necessary to translate the short story "to let the cat out of the bag": A deceitful vendor wanted to sell a very expensive animal, but in the bag there was only a very cheap animal. Before paying for the "very expensive animal", at first the buyer wanted to check the content in the bag. He discovered the deception, and the sale did not happen.

Before choosing a Classic Skin, I check the skin. Sometimes I saw, that Player, Equalizer and Playlist were parts of 2 or 3 other Classic Skins. It seems, that some "wild mixes" had been done.

Of course also the filename-extension could be renamed from .wsz to .zip, also the .zip-folder could be extracted, then the .bmp-files could be viewed directly.

The last time I forgot to mention some other websites: Winaero, allwinampskins, Index Of Skins and skinz.org, although especially for the latest one many days will be needed...

Old 20th October 2015, 07:41   #5
ariszlo

I agree with both of you that the other sites are much better. My personal favorite is Customize.org with its customizable power browse options like browsing classic skins sorted by date or modern skins sorted by popularity.

But I regularly visit many other sites, too, mostly DeviantArt, 1001Skins and WinCustomize.
Old 20th October 2015, 07:55   #6
ariszlo

Yes, WszView is a useful utility. As for "die Katze im Sack kaufen," it is the same in most European languages, except in English where it is Don't buy a pig in a poke.
Old 20th October 2015, 14:38   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oh, I didn't know WinCustomize yet, although maybe I heard already about it...

Also I didn't know the English Version for "die Katze im Sack kaufen" until now. Of course "es muss in der packung genau das drin sein, was auch aussen auf der packung draufsteht (wie es beschrieben wird)", and in 2013 the Almond Spekulatius didn't have enough almonds anymore, only a few, and the name on the pack was not correct anymore. Until 2012 it had more almonds, really very much, so that the name was correct yet. Since 2014 the supermarket Aldi doesn't offer this XMAS Food anymore. I know, it is now an odd comparison, but somehow I have remembered it...

Old 20th October 2015, 18:54   #8
ariszlo

It is a similar annoyance: you do not get what you expect.

Keeping two skins that I cannot find elsewhere, I am saying good bye to winampskins.info. The two skins are Daisy Duke 2 by Mrs Bladez and X11Amp by Petr Xakep of XPC Design Studio. (Xakep is a nick imitating the Russian spelling of hacker with Roman letters.)

Last edited by ariszlo; 20th October 2015 at 20:09.
Old 21st October 2015, 14:49   #9
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Also GBJ_-_The_Hand.wsz and a few more .wsz-files can be found only on winampskins.info and not on the other mentioned websites, although I prefer more the other websites, not this one.

Old 21st October 2015, 19:01   #10
ariszlo

Yes, The Hand is an impressing skin with fancy colors but it is available both at the Nullsoft archive and dpedu.io. Not at the other sites mentioned earlier in this topic, though.
Old 9th January 2016, 19:29   #11
Bashmack

Messed up skins at winampskins info

Tryed to describe the problem in the picture i added.

want extra info text, maybe in small under the title name of the product
Bashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

Tags
mess, winampskins.info