Old 14th July 2017, 19:26   #1
kbuyukcelen

Ideal Buffer Size

Hello,

I'm broadcasting with heaacv2+ with 48kbits. I want 45 seconds of buffer.
What is the best configuration is for me?
kbuyukcelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 21:34   #2
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to djSpinnerCee Send a message via AIM to djSpinnerCee
i assume you're asking how you should configure dnas buffer size and type? it is more of a tool to allow the source to stay caught up and not underrun, especially when the source is not local to the dnas.

so, 45secs @ 48kbps looks like about a 270k bytes buffer

the dnas buffering will have little impact on what a listener can/will buffer, because that is a function of the client, just so you know.

in a way, the dnas buffer is the uppermost limit on what a client can get at top speed, but i'm not sure if the dnas is buffering the sends to the listener.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 14:50   #3
kbuyukcelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSpinnerCee View Post
i assume you're asking how you should configure dnas buffer size and type? it is more of a tool to allow the source to stay caught up and not underrun, especially when the source is not local to the dnas.

so, 45secs @ 48kbps looks like about a 270k bytes buffer

the dnas buffering will have little impact on what a listener can/will buffer, because that is a function of the client, just so you know.

in a way, the dnas buffer is the uppermost limit on what a client can get at top speed, but i'm not sure if the dnas is buffering the sends to the listener.
Hello, thank you. My old shoutcast hosting was coming 45 seconds behind. Now I set my own server but it comes 5seconds behind. In case of any wifi issue or something, the stream stops. Thats because of I want.

so will I set the buffer to 270000?

thank you.
Old 16th July 2017, 14:52   #4
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to djSpinnerCee Send a message via AIM to djSpinnerCee
you can change it, but it may not have a noticeable impact on the listener buffering. players will buffer whatever they buffer, regardless of how much the dnas is buffering the source (this is what the dnas settings will influence). the dnas settings allow you to tailor the buffer to prevent, for example, a remote source from underrunning and the dnas dropping the connection causing the source to reconnect.

one thing the dnas buffer cfg may influence is the initial burst that the dnas will send on listener connect. in that case, the most it could possibly send at full network speed should be the dnas buffer.

each player buffers bytes, how many bytes determines the listen delay, that's why a 128kbps stream has generally less delay than a 48kbps stream in the same player.

audio player apps may determine the bitrate and adjust their buffer accordingly, but a web player will likely use the browser's buffer which is not likely to be optimized for media streams.

so, if adjusting the dnas buffer has no impact on listener delay, change it back.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 20:45   #5
kbuyukcelen

Thank you really much, I'll give a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSpinnerCee View Post
you can change it, but it may not have a noticeable impact on the listener buffering. players will buffer whatever they buffer, regardless of how much the dnas is buffering the source (this is what the dnas settings will influence). the dnas settings allow you to tailor the buffer to prevent, for example, a remote source from underrunning and the dnas dropping the connection causing the source to reconnect.

one thing the dnas buffer cfg may influence is the initial burst that the dnas will send on listener connect. in that case, the most it could possibly send at full network speed should be the dnas buffer.

each player buffers bytes, how many bytes determines the listen delay, that's why a 128kbps stream has generally less delay than a 48kbps stream in the same player.

audio player apps may determine the bitrate and adjust their buffer accordingly, but a web player will likely use the browser's buffer which is not likely to be optimized for media streams.

so, if adjusting the dnas buffer has no impact on listener delay, change it back.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support

Tags
buffer, configuration