Old 24th November 2012, 14:35   #3521
fc*uk

Seems like it has been forever since I posted in this thread. Probably has been seeing as how buying power is down...

Anyway, when you go, you go big:

torch coral
frogspawn coral
brain worm platygyra coral
favite brain coral
150 grams of granular ferric oxide
phosban 150 reactor
hydor pico evolution mini pump
marine epoxy
Dr. Martens M.I.E. 3989's

Geez... sounds like I am building something bad...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 16:30   #3522
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Uh..er...ummmmmmm uh......nice?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 16:39   #3523
fc*uk

translation:

I finally ridded my 75 gallon aquarium of cyanobacteria and need to find a better long term fix.

The corals are for teh pritteh.

The epoxy tis to attach the corals to the live rock.

I also needed shoes
Old 25th November 2012, 11:28   #3524
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*whew* I was nervous you were going "woo -woo"™
I got my inked
She's my hero! I have unusual standards.
Old 25th November 2012, 13:32   #3525
fc*uk

isn't that, ummm... that one woman?

good movies; can't do the swedish ones though.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:07   #3526
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
Time to log off of Winamp for a few days. Jones, Ted, and Widdy showed up in a dream I had last night. . .
No, that was real, but at least the extremely forgiving Las Vegas Police Dept. let us go and the STD tests all came up negative. (I kid, I kid)

/ducks

@ fc*uk and European tour people - please post pics. I need something interesting to look at, as my work schedule doesn't really allow me to do anything interesting outside of work. During the school year I have to live vicariously through others because of that. It's nice to know that things are well for all of you. Yes, pics of Europe and a fish tank would actually be pretty interesting if you ask me.

Last thing bought - an aftermarket backup camera for my wife's car (or SUV or crossover or Rav4 or whatever the hell that thing is called). I hope that I don't ruin the car while installing it. She doesn't know about it yet, so please don't tell her.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 22:35   #3527
fc*uk

I have been thinking about doing that. Unfortunately, every time I think about it, the lil fekker acts up again.

I need that phosban reactor, nao!
Old 28th November 2012, 21:28   #3528
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I would love to visit a person with a decent fish tank, set up a tripod and camera, and record an hour of the little fuckers just peacefully swimming around. It would be a nice video to put on with some relaxing music.

I also have a plan for another similar video to make. I wanted to do this last summer but forgot. The same idea, but with the campfire and no music, just the sounds of the fire. It would be nice to have on the computer monitor at work beside me while doing paperwork. Probably best as a video wallpaper set to repeat.

Old 29th November 2012, 12:33   #3529
rockouthippie
Banned

I installed 2 of these as a RAID 0 array:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=retinttv-20

It goes about 225 Megabytes a second (ala Parkdale). That means it reads about half as fast as and writes twice as fast as an Intel 330/530 SSD. Compare to a 2010 Western Digital OEM grade drive 500GB. 54 MB/sec.

It puts a spring in the machines step. If I was Rockefeller, I'd put two more drives in the array.

Western Digital says that 1.5% of the hard drives that are not DOA will fail in the warranty period. So my risk is now 3% that one of the drives will fail and .75% that both drives will fail in 5 years. I have found SMART fault detection to be very reliable. The only Western Digital drive that I didn't throw away working was one I dropped on the concrete from 3 feet. I had one DOA once.

People say this is risky. I say it's a hell of a good bang for the buck upgrade. This is GOOD. It makes the machine just sweet. Especially if you are doing any kind of video editing or rendering. Games load blink. Things install blink.

This didn't really work very well 5 years ago... that was 5 years ago...

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th November 2012 at 14:21.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:19   #3530
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
isn't that, ummm... that one woman?

good movies; can't do the swedish ones though.
That is Rooney Mara! She is in The American Version Of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(in English)
And she was in The Social Network...
I love my shirt! Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 29th November 2012, 14:39   #3531
rockouthippie
Banned

It's kinda weird when you try to make movies with characters that are supposed to be now, but the guy who wrote the movie is 61 and it just kinda hangs there outside of space time. And the guy who directed the movie is 50. And it portrays a reality they don't really understand very well. Rooney Mara's composite character "weird chick" is just out of place.

And Daniel Craig is always Daniel Craig.... insert wood block with British accent here....

It was kind of just contrived. Is there such a thing as a formula art film/mystery? If there is, this is it. The cinematography was good, but it almost always is these days. Rooney Mara was really the only good thing about this film.

Worth a buck at Redbox if they don't have Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.

I guess.

In with the morning mail. Two pretty nice mock turtleneck cotton sweaters and a Hurley thermal shirt. I wanted something a little nice without being too weird for Christmas. It looks like $15-$20 will buy buy you a real nice cotton turtleneck. The good ones seem to be from Egypt. I got a red one, to match my eyes. Amazon... get's me in all kinds of trouble.

It's raining sideways outside again... I need a coat.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Topcoat...ef=pd_sbs_a_18

Just ordered.
Old 30th November 2012, 16:04   #3532
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I found her Lisbeth Salander to be very effective. I LOVED her revenge scene. ZZZZZTTTTTTTT.
Old 30th November 2012, 22:44   #3533
rockouthippie
Banned

BB needs antlers and a walk. I think we'll go up to Petco.
Old 1st December 2012, 00:20   #3534
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

What does this tell you about normal retailers?:

Price: $569.00 Sale: $99.99 You Save: $469.01 (82%)
Aside of most retailers trying to ass-rape you with price, it's a pretty sharp looking coat. I like it. I wear a wool-cashmere blend black topcoat to work everyday. It's likely 10 years old and still looks new now. I have added good leather gloves, great for driving a frozen steering wheel, and form-fitting enough to operate small dashboard buttons. The staff and students always compliment it the look. A topcoat/overcoat really puts a look of class, prestige, and respect on a person, far more so than just the shirt and tie underneath. It's a very worthwhile investment.

I also have to say, the coldest of Iowa and South Dakota winters were not too cold for the one I'm describing, at least when worn outside at -20F for 20 minutes or less. I have an insanely warm parka (not too classy-looking - scroll if you look at link) if I'm going to be out longer and colder. The topcoat isn't too hot for temps up to around +45F, so that's a pretty wide range for such a good looking coat.

Old 1st December 2012, 10:02   #3535
rockouthippie
Banned

Another one I've been looking at is this Dickies Eisenhower coat:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=retinttv-20

Looked like something sturdy and machine washable to bang around in.

Wool is good stuff. I have 3 wool coats, 2 are in really good shape. They're a few years old. My favorite looks like Linuses blanket. It's at least 15. It's getting pretty bad.

In the long run, if you can grab this stuff at outlet stores or online, good clothes are worth the money. I'm sure I could pop $40 at Target and get crap I'd need to replace next year.

You probably dress some for being a teacher. I sure spent a lot of years in a tie. Linen shirts are gold. Yeah... they're $75-$90. But they last 5 years as daily drivers and look sharp. And it is just really comfortable. And unfortunately, you almost never find those in an outlet store.

For a casual shirt something like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Nautica-Sleeve...s=linen+shirts

I'm not Rockefeller. If I see one of these it will probably be one I gave for Christmas.

Really I buy nice clothes because it's thriftier than buying crap.

I buy Dickie slacks at Walmart for $20. Those are a pretty nice pant for the money and they get don't get ratty looking like jeans. You'd think you'd look like a service station attendant, but this twill is pretty light. It just looks like slacks. Wears better than jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Mens-T...dickies+slacks

Just like these, except at Walmart they're like around $22.
Old 1st December 2012, 18:30   #3536
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I wear long sleeve button down shirts, ties, dress pants (not khakis), belts, dressy socks, dress shoes, and hair gel 5-6 days a week. It gets old having to deal with all that at 6 in the morning all the time. I look forward to retirement where I can put on some basic khakis and a casual shirt and be done with it.

It's a great feeling to finally wear beater clothes when I get a day off. I complain, but at least men's dress clothing isn't too uncomfortable. The women's clothing that my wife has to wear every day looks very uncomfortable. She immediately ditches that stuff when she gets home and puts on warm-ups or running shorts to exercise.

If you don't change sizes (I haven't in around 2 decades), buying good shit costs a lot less in the long-run. I try to keep shirts under $50 and pants under $75. Every once in a while I discover something good at Gabriel's or Goodwill because someone my size died leaving good dress clothes behind. Otherwise, here's a good place to shop if you are willing to pay extra for domestic goods.

Old 2nd December 2012, 01:09   #3537
rockouthippie
Banned

Especially for dress shirts, I think you might want to pop the extra coin for linen. They're better looking, and last twice as long (or more), and they are really comfortable. It's amazing what the lack of polyester will do for a guy. It even makes your skin better. It doesn't stick to you if you get a little sweaty. That especially cool under your collar if you are wearing a tie.

I think they quit making Bill Blass silk ties. Bummer.

As far as the Made in America thing goes.... I don't think a guy could dress himself... you can get a belt or this or that... but the idea you could really get dressed using only US products is over... You could wear a pair of Red Wings and Carhardt coveralls. Some Carhardt stuff is still US made. My Caterpillar hat was made in China.
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:02   #3538
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

A lot of companies claim "Made in USA" but are actually made in outlying islands/territories where minimum wage and other labor laws often don't apply. Or the clothes are tailored domestically from imported fabrics.

Old 2nd December 2012, 03:49   #3539
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Last thing I bought??? A new engine...

Engine blew up in the middle of the outback, a couple hundred kilometres away from the nearest dirt track, which is quite a few hundred miles away from anything resembling civilisation. Cost of donor vehicle + getting my truck out of where it is = bye bye savings

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:19   #3540
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Oil ran out? Cooling system failure? I almost never hear about engines themselves failing these days. It's usually something other than the core engine itself, or what I listed in the first two questions which will cause an engine to die.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Is there any kind of insurance that you have that would cover some of your costs?

What vehicle was it?

Old 2nd December 2012, 05:44   #3541
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Land Rover Defender, usually bulletproof in every way. Diesel engine, blew a piston ring in the outback, oil vapour was getting past and engine went into runaway. So now no more engine. Just getting it and my belongings to somewhere I can work on it will cost more than the donor car I'm using to swap the engine from. Insurance doesn't cover incidents like this.

Old 2nd December 2012, 16:40   #3542
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Is that the Ambulance?
Also see
http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/art...hers.html?_r=0 It's something you would appreciate as a photographer
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:42   #3543
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
imported fabrics.
There is a small textile industry left in the US. J.P. Stevens was the last big one. The FTC says you have to say.

You're talking about Guam, American Samoa... ? They are US citizens in a US possession. Differences in their citizenship: They are self governing without federal interference. They don't pay federal income taxes. No one can vote for a US government candidate while in a US possession. They have no representation in Congress. But they really don't need any. They aren't generally governed by federal law.

Hop on a plane... they as much as citizen as you and me. Stay at home and $10,000 a year will get you by pretty comfortable. And they make it. They do alright. It isn't the third world. Pacific Islanders are pretty happy campers as far as I've seen. Those Guamanians sure put out some football players.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 2nd December 2012 at 19:47.
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:22   #3544
mysterious_w
Forum King

A 6 pack of Tyskie.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:31   #3545
rockouthippie
Banned

^That's a really good Pils. I haven't seen any in a while.
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:44   #3546
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Ratebeer (14 on scale of 100) and Beeradvocate ("average" and "poor" ratings) don't seem to like it, but sometimes a beer is still good to me when the ratings are low. For example, I don't mind Straub, but it's rated low. I have yet to try Tyskie.

Old 3rd December 2012, 23:52   #3547
rockouthippie
Banned

What do they give Paulaner Salvator? You've probably had that that one. It's not as hoppy. I thought it was pretty decent.

http://www.fortgeorgebrewery.com/bee...rs/vortex-ipa/

What the world needed was one more IPA? That's my usual thinking. But this one is the da shit! It's gooood! Made in Oregon. Hope you can find some. Call your Safeway. They should be able to set you up. It's tap beer down at the pub.

It doesn't force itself by being too pungent. It's got a really nice nose, and unlike most IPA's, it doesn't leave you in a pucker. The pick of some expatriate Brit dart players I know. They like it better than Ballard Biter, and I think I agree. I think Ballard Biter is the standard by which you judge an IPA. A few are better, most don't cut it.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:00   #3548
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Is that the Ambulance?
Also see
http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/art...hers.html?_r=0 It's something you would appreciate as a photographer
No, the ambulance was a project back in Ireland. I've been living out of the back of my 4WD for the past few years now.... it's not just my vehicle, it's also my home - everything I possess is in the outback. Have to decide whether to try to fix it, or pack what I need into a rucksack and abandon the rest.

Old 4th December 2012, 00:07   #3549
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Have to decide whether to try to fix it,
What else is wrong with it? If it's in serviceable shape otherwise, it would be worth a motor. Can't you get somebody to yard you out? Around here... somebody would do it for a 12 pack and gas....

Find the right pub around here... I got gas money. I got beer money... I need help.. When I had my Powerwagon with a winch, I always got kind of a kick out of going out on a rescue mission.

Always worked pretty good for me

And make sure it's safe to tow without pulling the drive shaft. It probably isn't. Remember to chalk it so you know which way to put it back in.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:30   #3550
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Yeah, an engine swap is the least of my worries, can do it with my eyes closed. Problem is twofold - 1) unless it's a Toyota or a Holden, car parts prices here are a joke. A secondhand motor here for my truck is more expensive than a new motor and all the trimmings back home. 2) To get a car brought back from the outback into civilisation round these parts quite often costs more than the car is worth. To give an example, a 200km tow to Alice Springs along the Stuart Highway costs in and around $1000. That's on highway blacktop. Get stuck on the old stock routes, or worse still, off road completely, and you're putting someone elses kids through college for the cost of getting it back.

Old 4th December 2012, 00:49   #3551
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The Australian Outback is some pretty remote shit. I lived in the middle-of-nowhere in South Dakota here in the US, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of just out out-there the Outback is. Being only 200km is actually short when thinking about the Outback, not that I've ever been there.

What would it cost to fab up an engine and tranny mount system for a Toy or Holden drivetrain? Is it possible to ship supplies (lifter, tools, etc.) to your stranded site and do the job there? That would be quite impressive, but the fabbing I suggest wouldn't work so well in that situation I'm guessing.

@RoH - Salvator - delicious doppelbock, although almost every doppelbock/doublebock I have ever tried has been great; it's my favorite style of brewing.

I've never tried the brewery's beer you linked to, but it has me curious now.

Old 4th December 2012, 00:54   #3552
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

That's actually what I'm in the process of doing, or at least looking into. Going to buy a POS Range Rover that had a decent engine dropped into it in 2005, drive it up there with a portable welder and a shitload of scaffold tube. Rig up an a-frame and swop engines there.

Old 4th December 2012, 22:30   #3553
rockouthippie
Banned

Hmm.. outback huh? Here you could just buy a cherry picker for a couple hundred. 200km tow? I've done something like that for gas money and a bottle of Jack.

If I was gonna use a tow company... I start with ... look I haven't got $1000. I got three-fitee.... cash... I don't care when.. I don't care how... They'res a couple hundred in that job. Somebody would do it on their day off. You could snivel some People really do hate to tell you no. If you're earnest and don't act like you're trying to chisel them....

Remote Oregon probably isn't that much different from remote Australia. A little barter goes a long way. Plead poverty. People understand that.

If they are like me, they think "Some money is better than no money".

I'd see if someone would trade me some elbow grease for my photos if I were you. You're really good. The boss might go for a tow for nice office art. I probably would. And he'd have a story of how he saved a starving artist from the outback. That's not too bad either.

You probably got it handled, but always remember... People hate to tell you no...

Think about it. Somebody comes up to you and asks for something? You always want to say yes. You've usually got to have a pretty good reason not to. If you run into something that's "no skin off your nose", you'll almost always go for it.

I've got enough "will work for beer" friends and I'm one of them... Took my chainsaw over to a neighbors house yesterday and made firewood out of a fallen tree... For half the wood.... and a couple beers... $400 if you call the tree people.

Now I've got a cord of hardwood and a couple beers for 3 hours work..... I abused!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 4th December 2012 at 23:43.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:45   #3554
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

$400 (over the table) would be low for most communities, it's getting really expensive for tree service because of the insurance and equipment costs. A single boom lift truck towing a chipper could cost you up to 6 figures.

"cash"... That does help when bartering and pleading.

I suppose it's all in who you know and what they're willing to do.

I really like the idea of the onsite swap though - it would make a great photodocumentary too.

Old 5th December 2012, 03:40   #3555
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Oregon is 400 miles from one side to the other - there are homesteads out here that are further apart than that I don't think anyone, including myself, appreciates the remoteness of Australia until they experience it for themselves.

The days of poormouthing it and claiming poverty out here are long gone, the economy is sky high and there is too much money to be made. I've tried. The local landrover groups out here have been good - I have the offer of a workshop and all the tools I could need, if I can get my vehicle to Melbourne, which will still cost a few grand. Australia is big. Very big. And very empty.

Old 5th December 2012, 05:34   #3556
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

I know a great cliff you can push that Landrover off of...
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 05:43   #3557
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Oregon is 400 miles from one side to the other - there are homesteads out here that are further apart than that
They're 50 miles here, if you can find them. There are 3.8 million people in Oregon. 2.8 million of them live within 20 miles of Portland. On most of the southern coast it's pretty easy to get 100 miles from nowhere. Almost everyone is within 150 miles of the Coast. Due east of Portland until you hit Boise is a big empty. East of there.... It's a really big empty. Nothing much of anything until you get to Minnesota.

It's pretty easy to get a couple hundred miles from nowhere. Not the outback, but it'll do for getting stuck. I'm sure I could find a place 200km away to get stuck which would be as bad as where your truck is. And you know, that's the place your truck always dies. I think the bastards have a "middle of nowhere" detector. It could have crapped out at the last town.... but Noooooo!.... I've walked out 50 miles before in life threatening weather. It sucks.

Good luck... wish I was there... I'd yard ya out...

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th December 2012 at 06:57.
Old 5th December 2012, 07:56   #3558
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShy View Post
I know a great cliff you can push that Landrover off of...
Does it come with a free tow to the cliff???

Old 5th December 2012, 08:18   #3559
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
2 tickets to see the Hobbit on opening night.

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 11:31   #3560
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
@ fc*uk and European tour people - please post pics. I need something interesting to look at, as my work schedule doesn't really allow me to do anything interesting outside of work. During the school year I have to live vicariously through others because of that. It's nice to know that things are well for all of you. Yes, pics of Europe and a fish tank would actually be pretty interesting if you ask me.
http://hughhh.com/hosted/europe

140-ish photos and a few videos. Most of them are even in order!

Last bought? A shit tonne of batteries for cameras.

If anyone can tell me how to make the HTML Slide Show Powertoy for XP work on Windows 7 (or another free tool to do the same job) I'll happily make a proper slideshow for the photos.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions