Old 21st February 2014, 19:54   #1
portorican

Goodbye Shoutcast (Hello SHOUTcast :) )

Starting yesterday shoutcast stations are not working properly,most of them won't play.
Now the streamed radio stations are from radionomi,with poor sound and low bitrates,awful.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:48   #2
DrO

please provide examples (i.e. links you're using) of what are not playing properly and how you're determining they are not playing properly i.e. timeouts, unable to access, etc.

as for your other comment, it's the same stations in the Directory as before (as much as it can be consistent with the stations in the Directory which change all of the time), unless you're referring to the site? if so, then that is clearly noted in a number of places now that it is a temporary site and it's functionality is reduced compared to a more complete site which will be implemented (or would you prefer nothing being available until it is all done?)
Old 21st February 2014, 21:26   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just noticed that .977 stations don't work anymore, I've bookmarked them, they are not listed in SHOUTcast directory either, though, maybe there are some technical issues, so it's just too early to report it.

I think best would be to wait and see if things are working again in a couple of days.
Old 21st February 2014, 21:30   #4
DrO

.977 haven't been listed in the Directory for a long time (at least not to my knowledge). again, if there are links people are using, then will need to know what they are (as we don't even know if we've got everything re-mapped as it should be).
Old 21st February 2014, 21:35   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

As for the directory I must pass, I cannot say, if it was listed a few weeks ago already or not, but my bookmarks were working. But it's also possible, that .977 itself has some issues.

I just noticed, that one of the bookmarks seems to use icecast:

http://icecast2.977music.com/80s

So yeah feel free to blame me, whenever I listen to it I don't check the url, I just play the stream via bookmark, hehe.
Old 21st February 2014, 21:42   #6
DrO

just tried the link and it doesn't work for me (redirects to their main site after a while). so is possible that maybe it's down or they've purposefully changed things.

here has working links (as they stopped being listed back in September 2012 due to changing their broadcasting platform from what i remember).
Old 21st February 2014, 21:46   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

These links are working just great, just updated my bookmarks, thanks.
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:36   #8
Mulldog

Hello, I've been using Winamp for hundreds of years and I'm really happy it's going to continue. This is my first ever post as I'm a little stuck and not very tech savvy. I am having some difficulty switching stations through my bookmarks and I keep getting an ABORT message? Are my links up to date and how can search and bookmark 80's radio stations in the future? There is an image attached but I'm not sure you can see it in my post? Best wishes.
Old 23rd February 2014, 04:16   #9
JohanStrauss

I've been using winamp since the beginning. Sad to see it is dead. Shoutcast radio does noting...I was getting errors saying Internet Explorer can't play anything (who uses IE anyway?), says unavailable or can't be found. Shoutcast TV? Access denied. Winamp Music...can't be found. AOL radio...can't be found. Winamp charts...can't be found. Song of the day sucks. Ourstage radio...meh. I guess I can live with that. Do I have a choice? Tour tracker, can't be found. 7 digital music...can't be found. Metrolyrics is useless. exfm looks like a 12-year-old's playlist. As useless as songfreaks.

What happened?
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:46   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@JohanStrauss

It sounds like you are using an old version of Winamp.
The latest version is 5.666

Winamp Charts was removed in 5.64
The SHOUTcast TV view was removed a year or so ago due to lack of interest/viewers.
Tour Tracker was shuttered along with the entire AOL Music department back in April 2013.
AOL Radio moved to slacker.com > http://aolradio.slacker.com/#stationlist
However, Winamp is no longer owned by AOL. It was acquired by Radionomy a month or so ago,
which is why there's no longer any AOL-owned services in Winamp any more.

Please see the other thread you posted in for more info
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=375405
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:16   #11
MarkRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
As for the directory I must pass, I cannot say, if it was listed a few weeks ago already or not, but my bookmarks were working. But it's also possible, that .977 itself has some issues.

I just noticed, that one of the bookmarks seems to use icecast:

http://icecast2.977music.com/80s

So yeah feel free to blame me, whenever I listen to it I don't check the url, I just play the stream via bookmark, hehe.
Might try this one for their 80s music. Still works for me. One I've been using for years: http://www.977music.com/977hi.pls
Old 16th March 2014, 13:55   #12
myminpins

Best '80s and '90s music station in my opinion

I've listened to KICKRADIO.nl for many years and found it through Shoutcast. Now that that doesn't work any more, I just have an icon on my desktop and click it to put the radio station in winamp and off I go.

I don't really find it that much of a nuisance and it's the only radio station I ever found that played '80s and '90s music with NO commercials. There's the occasional station identification thingy but NO commercials. I haven't listened to a local radio station in years since I found this station. It is my only radio station now.

Links:

http://www.kickradio.nl/dnn/default.aspx
http://www.liveonlineradio.net/norway/kick-radio.htm
http://www.internet-radio.com/station/kickradio/

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Winamp Pro 5.666 Build 3516

Last edited by myminpins; 16th March 2014 at 13:58. Reason: Forgot the links
Old 16th March 2014, 14:32   #13
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by myminpins View Post
I've listened to KICKRADIO.nl for many years and found it through Shoutcast. Now that that doesn't work any more, I just have an icon on my desktop and click it to put the radio station in winamp and off I go......
FYI: Shoutcast in Winamp does work, although not exactly as before. KICKRADIO is listed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoutcast in Winamp.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	51066  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
Old 16th March 2014, 15:09   #14
myminpins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
FYI: Shoutcast in Winamp does work, although not exactly as before. KICKRADIO is listed.
I have manually added it but strangely, that KICKRADIO link isn't as good as another one I have LOL

Old 16th March 2014, 20:14   #15
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by myminpins View Post
strangely, that KICKRADIO link isn't as good as another one I have
please can you clarify what you mean by that comment.
Old 16th March 2014, 20:33   #16
myminpins

When I use Shoutcast to find KICKRADIO, it comes up as http://206.190.136.141:5435/Live and plays a bit intermittently, stuttering at times.

The link I got from their website comes up as http://46.23.64.98:9000 and plays seamlessly.

Both play the same song so are the same but the second one plays much better and more consistently so I use that one.

I have no idea why they are two separate addresses and both play the same songs but one plays better than the other.

Old 16th March 2014, 20:49   #17
DrO

from what i can see, they've got 4 different servers in different locations for the stream (one in one listing and 3 in another due to a mis-match of DNAS being used).

as different ones can work better for you vs what works for others e.g. the /Live stream worked perfectly fine when i tried it (same as all of the other 3 they provide). so it could be something with a slow / hindered connection between you and the stream server.

at least you've got an option to pick a different server to get one that works better for you.
Old 16th March 2014, 20:51   #18
myminpins

Ah, okay, thanks, Dr. O. That makes sense. It used to come up with a few different streams when I used Shoutcast but it's only one now.

I have had issues with some streams sometimes and it's probably my location in the world or something or other. All that matters is that I have one that works perfectly for me And now I know why

Old 19th March 2014, 11:18   #19
MarkRH

Thanks for that Kickradio link. This is the URL I ended up getting via that third link:

http://www.brd.kickradio.nl:9000/ which pings to the IP address 46.23.64.98.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:20   #20
DrO

if the station uses a DNS based listing, always try to use that instead of the direct IP address (as that will make life for you and the stations a lot simpler as IP addresses of the streams can and often do change).
Old 19th March 2014, 12:49   #21
myminpins

How do you do that as opposed to just putting in the IP addy?

Old 19th March 2014, 13:08   #22
DrO

it's down to the station doing things to allow it. for SHOUTcast listings it needs 'destip' being set to a valid DNS string and it being recognised. otherwise i've seen them provide manually created playlists where it's been set.

but sadly too many stations either don't know about that option (depending on how they're setup and what they use to manage the stream(s) ) or they won't do it (since it usually means updating the server software and restarting the server [which they hate doing] ). all of which is not good for listeners as a DNS item is far better to use and with SHOUTcast listings, we're the ones who get the blame despite providing the means to support it for a good few years now (as SHOUTcast was inherently IP based until i got my hands on the YP code to make changes needed).
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion