• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

BUG: Small bug in ML

so this is a small bug, and probably has to do with race conditions or something like that.

using win7 / latest winamp w/patches.

make a smartview and view it as albumartist/albumart with the art as icons.

have a wav file (b/c it has no tags, or an mp3 ur certain has no tags) in the smartview, along with some normal, properly tagged mp3s.

you will see a blank albumart placeholder in the upper left of the art pane. it represents the wav file. in the tracks pane, you will see the wav file as a mostly blank row except for title and filepath.

now select the art-pane album-art-icon, and you will see NOTHING in the tracks pane. 0 items.

so, its some minor bug of some sort afaict, which based on previous bugs and discussions we've had I'm assuming is based on race conditions.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

Probably a design decision. Artwork is not saved in the media library records. Artwork is pulled from the file, folder, or Winamp artwork caches as needed. Since the placeholder image is used for any folder of song files without a recognized external image file or embedded image in the files, it is probably not associated with the records of such files. In other words, if you click on a placeholder image Winamp has no way to know which file is wanted (better to show no file than all those that fit that circumstance?).

How does the wav file or un-tagged mp3 get in the view? What is the smartview supposed to be listing?
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• MrSinatra
      Forum King
      • Dec 2004

it is not a design decision. winamp shows a placeholder for something no matter what. what makes no sense, is that when you click on the placeholder no tracks would show. that would not be deliberate, or make sense if it were. the tagless tracks show if no placeholder is selected.

you can test it yourself, just stick a wav or tagless file into any given smartview you have.

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
      Probably a design decision. Artwork is not saved in the media library records. Artwork is pulled from the file, folder, or Winamp artwork caches as needed.
      it has nothing to do with artwork or caches.

Since the placeholder image is used for any folder of song files without a recognized external image file or embedded image in the files, it is probably not associated with the records of such files. In other words, if you click on a placeholder image Winamp has no way to know which file is wanted (better to show no file than all those that fit that circumstance?).
      that's not how winamp works. this is something I have explained to you in various ways many times. winamp does not create multiple placeholders based on multiple artworks.

What is Winamp? Why is Winamp? How is Winamp? All these burning questions and issues discussed within.

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

the way winamp works is that it DOES show ALL files that "fit the circumstance" which namely is the album name tag used. its just that in this circumstance, for some reason, it isn't. nothing to do with artwork. (if you had three greatest hits albums each with its own art, winamp would just use one artwork, and create one placeholder, but show all 3 albums tracks, as discussed in the links)

I think the reason for this bug is that this is an odd / unique case of being tagless and the race conditions don't account for it. just my best guess.
      --

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

also, in order to see this bug, the smartview must have some other normally tagged files in it. the bug does not appear if the tagless files are the ONLY files in the smartview, (afaict).
        --

Comment

• Aminifu
          Forum King
          • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
          winamp does not create multiple placeholders based on multiple artworks.
          I did not say that it does, don't know how you got that from what I said in post #2 above.

The circumstance I was talking about is where there is no artwork associated with the file(s).

Anyway, whatever the reason, that's an interesting glitch you've found. I only use embedded art and only see the placeholder if I temporarily add a file without an embedded image to the media library.

Comment

• MrSinatra
            Forum King
            • Dec 2004

b/c u suggested that its designed to show only one placeholder and no results when there would be multiple results, but whatever, the point is winamp does not work that way. contrary to what you said, winamp DOES show all results that fit the circumstance, just not in this niche tagless case, ergo the bug.

I am perplexed by your question, how can you not know how to get a file into a smartview? just scan it into the ML via whatever method of scanning into the ML u prefer, and use an existing view or create one that would show it.
            --

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

The circumstance I was talking about is where there is no artwork associated with the file(s).
              like I said, artwork has nothing to do with it. the bug is a result of being tagless. if the tagless files were in a dir with folder art, the folder art would show, but the bug and behavior would be EXACTLY the same.
              --

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

I am perplexed by your question, how can you not know how to get a file into a smartview? just scan it into the ML via whatever method of scanning into the ML u prefer, and use an existing view or create one that would show it.
                Sorry, took me a minute to figure it out. I don't put wavs or tagless files in my media library and have turned off all guessing when reading metadata.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                  Forum King
                  • Dec 2004

Sorry, took me a minute to figure it out. I don't put wavs or tagless files in my media library and have turned off all guessing when reading metadata.
                  so I take it you are able to recreate the bug? (my guessing is also turned off)
                  --

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

b/c u suggested that its designed to show only one placeholder and no results when there would be multiple results,
                    What I meant was that the same placeholder image is used when Winamp does not know what else to display (no recognizable external art or embedded art).

In my case, when I click on the placeholder (llama) it does list the file without embedded artwork I added to test this.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

then there must be something wrong with your file, insofar as replicating this bug. try it with a wav file.
                      --

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

Don't think there is anything wrong with the file. Even with guessing turned off, the name of the file is put in the %title% tag (all the other tags are blank). When I get some time, I'll make a wav and try it.

I had noticed in the past that unexpected things happen if tagless or improperly tagged files are added to the media library, so I stopped doing that. I only use formats that support tags in my library and vet all my files before adding them to avoid trouble. I use Winamp to play wavs and such, just don't add them to my library.

But as I said, that's an interesting glitch (bug). Hopefully something will be done about it.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                          Forum King
                          • Dec 2004

Don't think there is anything wrong with the file. Even with guessing turned off, the name of the file is put in the %title% tag (all the other tags are blank). When I get some time, I'll make a wav and try it.
                          the file is wrong in the sense that it is likely not what I am specifying. what format are you using? (I tested with mp3 and wav) it must have NO tags at all, of any kind. wav is that way naturally. a mp3 would suffice as well, if you go into alt+3 and uncheck v1 and v2 and anything else. I have not tested what happens if v1 or v2 is present but entirely blank.

do u mean to say the name of the file is put into the title column in winamp? (that's proper) or is also in the files tag? (improper)

I had noticed in the past that unexpected things happen if tagless or improperly tagged files are added to the media library, so I stopped doing that. I only use formats that support tags in my library and vet all my files before adding them to avoid trouble. I use Winamp to play wavs and such, just don't add them to my library.

But as I said, that's an interesting glitch (bug). Hopefully something will be done about it.
                          its worth fixing if only for wav. but it makes no sense that you can not reproduce it, unless your scenario is fundamentally different somehow, and it would be good to know what that difference is, just in case its something unexpected.
                          --

Comment

• Aminifu
                            Forum King
                            • Aug 2011

Ok, I was able to reproduce the bug.

I had used an mp3. It had a populated title tag and the rest were blank. After removing all tags, the only things showing in the library is encoding info like length and bitrate.

The file is listed with other tagged files. You say if it was listed by itself or with other similar files, then clicking on the placeholder would list it. I'll try that tomorrow.

How do you find stuff like this.

Comment

• Victhor
                              Late skinner & Moderator
                              • May 2003

I told Winamp devs about this bug last year, wasn't in time to include a fix in the final build though.

The files affected are the ones with no artist field filled. I even made a set of screenshots to make my point clear in case I wasn't (I'm bringing it back from those mails):

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	4463182Click image for larger version

Name:	SS 02.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4463183Click image for larger version

Name:	SS 03.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB