Old 6th November 2009, 19:30   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Gays Will Get Hate Crimes Protections

CBS/AP) Physical attacks on people based on their sexual orientation will join the list of federal hate crimes in a major expansion of the civil rights-era law Congress approved Thursday and sent to President Barack Obama.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5410852.shtml

Hate crime laws are stupid. Does it seem reasonable that if you get killed because you were getting mugged that it's somehow more acceptable?

Maybe somebody hated you. Maybe someone wanted your wallet. Dead is dead. Are some motives more acceptable than others?

HINT: If you are a skin head and want to beat up a gay guy, make sure you rob him

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th November 2009 at 20:14.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 22:23   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

What now?

Oh yeah, you're just automatically copypasting any anti-Obama thing you can find, right?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 22:50   #3
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Can someone explain to me the point of "hate crimes legislation"?

Why do we need it when we already have laws for dealing with assault & battery as well as murder?

Can I have a hate crime law put in place for me? If someone beats me up because I'm a heterosexual white male, it should be a federal crime too.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 23:13   #4
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Hate crimes aren't all physical.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:20   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

When one is targeted solely on who they are(black, gay, female, hispanic, etc.) this is indeed a hate crime.
I just saw Milk on HBO. Dan White killed two people, and he was, for all accounts, homophobic. He received only five years in jail. He did commit suicide after being out of jail for only two years or so. Seems "God does not come down with a stick." *One point of view*
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:32   #6
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

And once you make it okay to hate, beat and kill one segment of the population none of us are safe. First it's cool and okay to discriminate and even beat a man because he's gay. Tomorrow maybe we can pick on and harass jews, blacks or Hindus. Who's next to be led to the official whipping post? Irish immigrants, Mexicans, poor white trash crank addicts? everyone deserves equal protection under the law. It's a sign of civilization and a mature society.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:36   #7
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by gameplaya15143
Can someone explain to me the point of "hate crimes legislation"?

Why do we need it when we already have laws for dealing with assault & battery as well as murder?

Can I have a hate crime law put in place for me? If someone beats me up because I'm a heterosexual white male, it should be a federal crime too.
Dude, it's about the crime being BECAUSE you're a heterosexual white male or Gay or Afghan or whatever. Meaning if you were not a specific type demographic the assault and crime wouldn't have happened at all.

And yes, if you're set upon by a gang of Hispanics shouting kill whitey while stomping you, yes, they could be charged with additional penalties for it being a hate crime.

Old 7th November 2009, 00:41   #8
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Thank you,
Old 7th November 2009, 16:43   #9
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I pretty much think it's not OK to beat up anyone.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 21:30   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

Whites get prosecuted for hate crimes more and in a higher percentage of incidents than blacks under nearly the same circumstances. Fundamental unfairness surrounds these laws.

An incident here a couple of years ago happened when 4 black minors attacked a white woman on our light rail train. The assailants were minors. The white woman got a lirtle beat up but was not seriously injured. She was robbed.

These kids had varying degrees of responsibility for the assault and robbery, but because the state was able to label this a "hate crime" all of the kids were tried as adults and were required to face Measure 11 minimum sentencing of 72 months in prison. They could have been federally prosecuted too.

What this hate crime law did is prevent a judge from determining involvement by each individual in the crime and determining whether some of them could have been handled by juvenile authorities, deserved less than 72 months etc.

Some Republicans have labeled hate crime laws as "thought crime". I agree.

Quote:
And once you make it okay to hate, beat and kill one segment of the population none of us are safe.
You should certainly get the hate crime laws extended to geeks that drive a Prius.

Quote:
And yes, if you're set upon by a gang of Hispanics shouting kill whitey while stomping you, yes, they could be charged with additional penalties for it being a hate crime.
I have been jumped by a bunch of Mexicans. I also know of a Mexican guy that was killed by a Mexican gang and left dead in a lake. I deserve more protection that the guy they dumped in the lake?

Another problem with hate crime laws is that it could be used to stifle religious speech. Not that I think some preachers I've heard shouldn't shut up.

Hate crime laws give special distinction to some citizens, can't and aren't evenly applied, border on establishing "thought crime", and could interfere with free speech.

Bad deal.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 7th November 2009 at 21:53.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:57   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Hate crime is a stupid name for it since all violent crime is essentially a "hate crime".

I even think Limbaugh's and Beck's mouths are guilty of hate crimes since they lend to this type of behavior.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:01   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Would you like to compare that to Louis Ferrikam, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Maher.... I could go on.... ?

Liberal hate or conservative hate? I think your thinking on this is completely subjective.

It must have been Limbaugh that got the Mexicans to jump me for my smokes
Old 8th November 2009, 00:50   #13
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Maher and Olbermann never spew or incite hate like those people who are paid to do so.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:55   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

You think liberal hatemongers aren't paid? What about Dan Rather, who commited fraud to discredit George Bush? Do Wright, Ferrikam, Jackson or Sharptain have a fucking DAY JOB?

What about that little pipsqueak Bill Maher? Or Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Hillary... ballbusters... Or "entertainers" finding oppression because of their own hedonism and blaming it on bigotry.

Which Hitler did you want?

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/adolph-obama.jpg[/img]
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/bush_hitler.jpg[/img]

Liberals have become so radical that even the original activists have divorced themselves from the organisations they helped found. From Bernard Nathanson (NARAL) and Patrick Moore (Greenpeace) to Candy Lightner (MADD) you'll find former activists now considering the organizations they founded full of whack jobs and/or people that have made these causes an industry. Even "Hanoi Jane" thinks she was fucked up.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th November 2009 at 02:47.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:27   #15
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

I always wonder why it takes a nation like the USA so long to come up with laws we already had serveral years.

are we this fast with such laws or ...........

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 09:22   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

No, Neik. We are, on some issues, backward.
and I repeat "When one is targeted solely on who they are(black, gay, female, hispanic, etc.) this is indeed a hate crime."
Matt Shepherd Just one reason to pass hate crime laws.
Sadly, there isn't enough time to give them all.

Last edited by Widdykats; 8th November 2009 at 09:37.
Old 8th November 2009, 09:41   #17
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

America only places first in Olympics. Other than that we fail at everything ie. health care.
Old 8th November 2009, 15:05   #18
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

We used to make the best guitars, too.

Old 8th November 2009, 17:12   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

and TV sets, cars, clothes, textiles, computers....

Quote:
I always wonder why it takes a nation like the USA so long to come up with laws we already had serveral years.
Most of us don't think a lot of your laws are a good idea.

Quote:
America only places first in Olympics. Other than that we fail at everything ie. health care.
We are also #1 at throwing people in prison. 5% of the worlds population and 25% of it's prisoners. More prisoners than any other country in the world.

And we are also #1 in lawyers. We have more lawyers than any other country in the world.

About health care:

Consumer: We can't afford our health care!
Government: That will be $1.2 Trillion more please! Oh, and about your mom... did you go to your death panel...err we meant "end of life planning" .... meeting?

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th November 2009 at 18:09.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News