Old 2nd March 2005, 21:22   #1
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
US, Iraq Face Off On Nukes

I smell Iraq all over again.

Explaining Tehran's decision to bar the United Nations from some sensitive sites, a senior Iranian envoy told a 35-nation meeting Wednesday that his country fears leaked information the inspectors gather could help those planning a possible military strike.

At the same meeting — of the board of the International Atomic Energy Agency — the United States, which has not ruled out such an attack, urged U.N. Security Council action against Tehran, saying it is "cynically" pursuing nuclear arms.

Jackie Sanders, chief U.S. delegate to the International Atomic Energy Agency board of governors, also urged North Korea to commit to a "verifiable and irreversible end" to its nuclear program and to return to six-party talks.

North Korea "needs to make a strategic choice to step off the dangerous path it has set for itself," Sanders said as the board sought agreement on a statement urging the Pyongyang to return to negotiations and to end nuclear threats.

IAEA head Mohamed ElBaradei refused to characterize Sanders' comments on Iran, which were in response to an IAEA update on Tehran's nuclear record after more than two years of examination by the agency.

But he said the "ball is very much in Iran's court to come clean" by cooperating to clear lingering suspicions about possible nuclear weapons ambitions.

Iran's refusal to grant IAEA inspectors renewed access to the Parchin military site after an initial severely restricted visit last month was one of the issues raised by the agency's review.

The United States alleges that Iran may be testing high-explosive components for nuclear weapons by using an inert core of depleted uranium at Parchin as a dry run for a bomb that would use fissile material.

Iran asserts that its military is not involved in nuclear activities, and the IAEA has no firm evidence to the contrary. The agency also has not been able to support U.S. assertions that nearly 20 years of covert nuclear programs discovered more than two years ago were aimed at making nuclear weapons — not generating electricity, as Tehran claims.

Iranian chief delegate Sirous Nasseri noted that his country was not obligated to allow any access to sites like Parchin, which are not part of the agency's purview.

Worries about "confidentiality of information" gathered on such visits "are more intense in view of potential threats of military strikes against ... facilities visited by (the) agency," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in677540.shtml

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 21:59   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

nice typo
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:51   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Lets see. They are an anti western, theocratic, backwards regime who are actively persuing nuclear technology with the intention to procure weapons.

And they expect us to sit by?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:33   #4
Mattress
Forum King

so they won't let the inspectors in with the excuse that the inspectors could possibly be spys that would use the information in a strike on the facilities.

So how about we offer them these two options. Let the inspectors in or the entire site will be bombed to hell.

If the fear an attack because of inspectors, let the other option be a guaranteed attack.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 20:51   #5
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Well bombing is spectacular to see on tv

And, Iran lies next to Iraq, so an invasion would be quite easy now. Seems to me this is a perfect opportunity.
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 21:51   #6
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

If you look over Shi'ite history, this type of decision falls under the "typical shi'ite response" category.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 07:16   #7
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Why not just go in there with a small batalion and say, "we are going to inspect this now, interfer and be invaded by the rest of our armies," type of thing?

[edit]my diplomacy rocks, i should be cheif kernel of diplomatic relations[/edit]

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 18:19   #8
Mattress
Forum King

it's not like Iran doesn't have an army.

even my idea of bombing the facilities would be stupid unless we were truly willing to bomb them and start a serious conflict with Iran. I'm sure pretty much any hostile action will result in Iraq being invaded by Iran. I don't think we really want that to happen. Especially not right now.
Old 5th March 2005, 08:21   #9
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I think if we want to be the world police we are going to need to hire more police officers (raise taxes) and increase the benefits of armed duty. People just aren't patriotic like back in the WWII days. I'm still considering it whilest I am still able but I will probably do national guard reservist when I'm older.

I'm Back?
Old 6th March 2005, 04:38   #10
Mattress
Forum King

I'd prefer if we weren't the world police, lets make cars that run on ethanol and let the rest of the world just kill itself.
Old 6th March 2005, 08:13   #11
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMmm. Corn Juice.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 09:36   #12
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
it's not like Iran doesn't have an army.

even my idea of bombing the facilities would be stupid unless we were truly willing to bomb them and start a serious conflict with Iran. I'm sure pretty much any hostile action will result in Iraq being invaded by Iran. I don't think we really want that to happen. Especially not right now.
It's happened once, we could take 'em on again

It'd be like "You neva' gonna take us down!" and we'll be "baddah-boosh, ka-ping" Pt. II

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 07:37   #13
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

em...I would like to complain about the proliferation of unneccessary and totally unneeded Nuclear weapons by any nation. I include both Britain and America in that retoric who have blatantly flaunted International and United Nations directives and agreements for years.
And France, who blatantly murdered innocent people on the Rainbow Warrior...
And ....well theres a lot of stuff we should be putting right as a democracy before we even attempt to correct any other country...

Personally - it's all a crock Shi'ite anyway, the sooner folk cop on to the fact that we have one fecking planet and live like that the better if you ask me...Nations? who wants em? who needs ems?

One people, One love? the impossible dream - I suppose

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 21:34   #14
Mattress
Forum King

so it's better for the US and Britian to work on disarming before attempting to prevent Iran from getting a nuke?

So while we get rid of our nukes they have time to build one of their own and then what will the situation be? I'm sure they'll be like, "Oh you got rid of yours? I guess we'll get rid of ours then."
Old 8th March 2005, 00:50   #15
ActivWiz

Look we can turn the whole middle east into a parking lot as long as we get to buy gas at $.50 cents per barrel ;-) Jokes aside though, throughout history stronger nations have imposed their will on weaker nations. There is nothing new with what is going on right now in the middle east. On a personal note, while I wish for a peaceful world, I am very well aware that the Bush doctrine does have a place in modern society...
ActivWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 05:10   #16
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

We can glass the entire planet with our nuclear stockpile. I think those other countries should very well keep that in mind. We also have our bunker busters and daisy cutters that can hit with laser accuracy.

I'm Back?
Old 8th March 2005, 10:24   #17
Wolfgang
Forum King

That makes you the greatest people on Earth. I love you.

And ActivWiz, what the fuck? Just because America is the mightiest and hence the greatest and bestest doesn't mean it gives it the right to impose its might and greatness and bestness on the rest of the world. In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the world would be pretty glad if America kept its arrogant might and greatness and bestness to itself and stopped interfering with other people's business.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 12:40   #18
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
We can glass the entire planet with our nuclear stockpile. I think those other countries should very well keep that in mind. We also have our bunker busters and daisy cutters that can hit with laser accuracy.
And you wonder why people are more afraid of you than of Iran?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 13:08   #19
ActivWiz

America is at its peak as an empire and is doign that which every empire does at its peak. When Spain was the world's greatest empire it did same, when Great Britain was the world's greatest empire it did the same, when Rome was the worlds greatest empire and so on and so forth.

Point is, who cares what other people think when you can have your way based on the size of the stick you carry. For the long term it is not the best approach, but by then we would all be dead anyway ;-(

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang
That makes you the greatest people on Earth. I love you.

And ActivWiz, what the fuck? Just because America is the mightiest and hence the greatest and bestest doesn't mean it gives it the right to impose its might and greatness and bestness on the rest of the world. In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the world would be pretty glad if America kept its arrogant might and greatness and bestness to itself and stopped interfering with other people's business.
Old 8th March 2005, 13:59   #20
zootm
Forum King

In the modern world, empires can be criticised, and their actions are less immutable, though. There was an interesting article (and later book and TV series, I think) about regarding the US as an empire, it makes some good points. I can't find the bastard thing, though.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 15:42   #21
ActivWiz

Critize away, minority have their say, majority have their way

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
In the modern world, empires can be criticised, and their actions are less immutable, though. There was an interesting article (and later book and TV series, I think) about regarding the US as an empire, it makes some good points. I can't find the bastard thing, though.
Old 8th March 2005, 16:07   #22
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Baghdad Burning

The writings of a young Lady who lives in the nightmare - very informative and she's not prone to blatant accusations. Interesting read from how she has seen what has happened in her country. I visit there every few days but with problems of electric supply and other stuff she does get a bit irregular with posts. Been on quite a lot lately though..

As I say interesting to get an honest and truthfull account for a change. Yeah in parts she get's a bit upset and angry but thats understandable I think...
Read it and judge for your self.

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 02:54   #23
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ActivWiz
Critize away, minority have their say, majority have their way
...except in America, or the world in general. But in most cases, is that a bad thing?

Old 9th March 2005, 21:37   #24
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
And you wonder why people are more afraid of you than of Iran?
Difference is that Iran has a government that openly endorces terrorism, and if they had a functional nuke right now, they'd probably drop it on a civilized country for the hell of it...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 22:02   #25
zootm
Forum King

That assertion seems frivolous and nonsensical, MidnightViper88. I seriously doubt they'd "probably" do that at all.

Old 9th March 2005, 22:25   #26
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I dont think they would either.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 23:25   #27
ActivWiz

Lol especially in America. The true test of freedom is being able to go to a public place and denounce your government. Last I checked, anyone in America can still do that. Can't say the same for the rest of the world. Over there it's more like, majority have their way, minority are held at bay...

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
...except in America, or the world in general. But in most cases, is that a bad thing?
Old 9th March 2005, 23:27   #28
ActivWiz

Iran has a government better suited for medieval times than the present day and age, however, they do not endorse terrorism, that my friend is propaganda. In fact, there is no nation on the face of the earth at this time which endorses terrorism.

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Difference is that Iran has a government that openly endorces terrorism, and if they had a functional nuke right now, they'd probably drop it on a civilized country for the hell of it...
Old 10th March 2005, 03:47   #29
Mattress
Forum King

high leaders in Iran's theocracy have made statements in the past pretty much saying that if they got a nuke, they would use it on Israel.
Old 10th March 2005, 12:30   #30
Wolfgang
Forum King

Quote:
The true test of freedom is being able to go to a public place and denounce your government. Last I checked, anyone in America can still do that.
Haha. The first word that came to my mind was brainwashing.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 13:50   #31
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Can't say the same for the rest of the world. Over there it's more like, majority have their way, minority are held at bay...
Are you referring to the entirety of the rest of the world? Because that's certainly not true.

Old 10th March 2005, 17:35   #32
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Pakistan admits rogue scientist aided Iran
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 05:04   #33
Mattress
Forum King

rogue scientist sounds like some messed up D&D character class, like some sort of crazy badass alchemist or something
Old 11th March 2005, 11:45   #34
zootm
Forum King

He sold them a +5 Mace of Mass Destruction.

Should probably be treating this a bit more seriously, but wasn't there a number of "rogue scientists" aiding Iraq in the 80s? I have a book somewhere with that information, but I have no idea where it's bloody gone.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News