Old 9th March 2005, 18:16   #1
Schmeet
Major Dude

Would you feel sympathtic?

This is an article from the local paper for my county. This boy is in the year below me at my school. Basically, would you feel sympathtic for him or do you say he got what he deserved.

Quote:
10:30 - 09 March 2005
Craig Sales will lose his leg after a teenage prank turned to tragedy. The 14-year-old was riding a moped with two pals hanging off the back when he crashed and crushed his leg.

Now he says he'd do anything to turn the clock back.

And he's warning other youngsters to keep out of trouble to spare themselves the agony he and his family are going through.

The St Benedict's pupil has spent the past five weeks in the Battledown Ward at Cheltenham General Hospital.

He has had seven different operations, but doctors say they cannot save his leg.

Craig's world was turned upside down on February 1.

He was larking about with two friends on the moped in St Mark's.

As he turned the corner in Shelley Road the handlebars locked. It skidded and hit the kerb.

Craig was catapulted into a hedge and landed on a concrete floor.

Doctors have told the teenager from Village Road, Hester's Way, that his left leg will be amputated.

Speaking from his hospital bed, Craig said: "I wouldn't wish what's happened to me on anyone else. It's caused me and my family a lot of stress and pain.

"The doctors have told me I'll be able to lead a normal life but I won't be able to play sports.

"I really regret what happened. People should realise how dangerous riding mopeds is.

"If they want to do it they should learn when they're old enough and can do it in a safe environment.

"Having an accident like mine is the last thing you want to happen to you.

"I just want to get on with my life now and get back to school. When I leave I want to be a bricklayer."

In the next week he will visit Bristol Children's Hospital to have a four- hour operation.

When Craig leaves he will be given a wheelchair and crutches.

A prosthetic limb will also be made for him.

Craig has been supported throughout his ordeal by mum Michelle, 39, brother Mark, 22 and sister Lauren, nine.

Dad Andy, 45, a mechanic, has been keeping a vigil by Craig's bed since the accident.

He said: "This has been a very stressful time for the family but we've come through it.

"The hardest part is still to come when Craig has the operation in Bristol.

"We will be there for him through the whole thing.

"The accident is a warning to other kids not to mess about on mopeds.

"Craig was lucky he didn't die but people should realise that maybe they wont be so fortunate.

"He has learned his lesson but it was a very expensive price to pay."

Craig's mum Michelle, who works as a *******ist, wants to thank staff at the Battledown Ward for their support.

She said: "The staff at the hospital have been wonderful and helped us through a very difficult time.

"The Battledown ward is such an important part of the hospital.

"I feel sorry for parents in the future who will have to take their children to Gloucester when the inpatient ward moves.

"Having the ward on our doorstep has been brilliant. I can't believe that such a valuable service is going to be lost.

"It would have been a nightmare for us to have to travel to Gloucester to see Craig.

"Every doctor and nurse in there is fabulous at Battledown and we have a lot to be grateful for."
What the paper didn't mention was that this was a 150cc motorbike that he had stolen. Clearly the bike was too powerful for him in the first place. I don't know whether i should feel sympathtic for him or not. He is pretty bad behaved at school and pisses everyone off, but losing a limb - that's pretty extreme.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 18:19   #2
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Quote:
What the paper didn't mention was that this was a 150cc motorbike that he had stolen.
My response is obvious: how I wish Darwin's original theory were really true at times.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 18:20   #3
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

He's lucky that he didn't lose his life, or worse off, as in paralyzed. Or that he didn't injure/kill another person while riding the motorbike.

So, to be honest, there's not much sympathy coming from my direction, only a hope that he turns his life around. He got lucky this time on the path he had chosen for his life.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 18:32   #4
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Stolen bike, 3 people on it, most likely speeding, ... no sympathy.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 18:35   #5
Wolfgang
Forum King

No sympathy from me either. Moron.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 19:06   #6
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

He had my sympathy until I read he stole it. He got what he deserved.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 19:10   #7
protegechris
Forum Queen

I want a moped protege is about as powerful as one though, so I guess I'm cool.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 19:16   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i do feel some sympathy for the guy. he's using the situation as a story to other youngsters his age to get them to stop doing what he was doing.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 20:30   #9
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Ok what he did was wrong, but he definitely did not deserve to loose his leg...

No sympathy, but I do feel a bit sorry for him.
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 21:47   #10
EazMan

well, he did steal it but he still didn't deserve to loose his leg.
EazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 21:51   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Yes he did. He took someone elses property, used it recklessly and is now suffering as a result.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 22:43   #12
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Dumbass...Kinda reminds me of couple years ago, when someone stole my dad's Sundiro Mantis (A 50cc motor scooter)...It got recovered, but I don't know if the theif was ever found (He left the scooter at a house in our same neighborhood where he stole that house's car)...

Whether or not he deserves to lose his leg, I can't say, but he still stole someone's property and broke his leg while doing so...Carelessness and idiocity all wrapped up in one gleaming package...

Hope he had fun while it lasted...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 23:07   #13
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

Now he won't be able to join the Moped Army!
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 23:51   #14
ActivWiz

How do you justify a lifetime of discomfort due to a few minutes of foolishness? Of course he got a raw deal.
ActivWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 00:59   #15
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

A few minutes of foolishness? I wonder how family and victims of date rape, murder et al feel....Raw deal? I think a lifetime of discomfort is a small price for being stupid.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:01   #16
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
--it'll keep him out of more trouble at least...
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:11   #17
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

I feel sorry for the human race because he didn't die.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 05:55   #18
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

At least he is alive thumbs up for that still though now he has a huge moral turn around coming I think. Or an afirmation of his false sense of imortality and further jerkasholeagins. Hard to predict.

My friend has a moped that she is very fond of. I'm going to send this to her so she may take a safety course since she has no liscence whatsoever.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 07:32   #19
mark
Forum King

Re: Would you feel sympathtic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
"I just want to get on with my life now and get back to school. When I leave I want to be a bricklayer."
Such high hopes for the future...
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 09:26   #20
Jay
Moderator Alumni

yea I caught that as well, who in their right mind dreams of growing up and becoming a brick layer? must be a family business or something.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 09:59   #21
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I am totally mixed on this one. My mind is fighting itself. Here goes.

I do feel really bad for him.....

You all mean to tell me that you have never done anything stupid and reckless in your life? You have never done anything bad or that you shouldnt have?

As a kid growing up I did some pretty stupid stuff. Looking back I should never have done them and knowing what I do now would change alot of things. The difference is that I never got caught or injured.

Yes for your actions there are conciquences, but to lose a leg for life is pretty extreme.

-----------------------------------

Knowing that he stold the moped and has serious behaviour issues a thought came to mind. "Where were the parents" I know that parents can not be there all the time and it is impossible to completely control a child but in what way were the parents there to help him out before all this happend? This could have all been prevented if they had taken steps before to get him the mental help he needs.

It looks as though his family has come together out of this tradgey. It may be the best thing that ever happend to all of them. Hopefully this will be the turning point the boy needed in his life. He may have ended up being a career criminal and now this will change his whole outlook.
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 12:14   #22
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
"The doctors have told me I'll be able to lead a normal life but I won't be able to play sports.
What a load of rubbish - cause the kid can play sports. You should see the guy in that Survivor program where a group of people are split into two tribes and each face a serious of challenges until they end up with one winning a million or something? Was a guy on there who had prosthetic and no one knew until he showed them! He was more agile than some of the folk with there normal standard issue legs! (Heh teh funneh - Never mind lol)

downer that he's lost his leg but at least I'll give him his due he's trying to use it positively. Not much in the way of sympathy though - should have learned to ride bike better....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 20:28   #23
Starfire
Dominus Deus Best Friend and Play Toy
(Senior Member)

Send a message via AIM to Starfire Send a message via Yahoo to Starfire
Indeed

Quote:
Originally posted by missyob
I am totally mixed on this one. My mind is fighting itself. Here goes.

I do feel really bad for him.....

You all mean to tell me that you have never done anything stupid and reckless in your life? You have never done anything bad or that you shouldnt have?

As a kid growing up I did some pretty stupid stuff. Looking back I should never have done them and knowing what I do now would change alot of things. The difference is that I never got caught or injured.

Yes for your actions there are conciquences, but to lose a leg for life is pretty extreme.

-----------------------------------

Knowing that he stold the moped and has serious behaviour issues a thought came to mind. "Where were the parents" I know that parents can not be there all the time and it is impossible to completely control a child but in what way were the parents there to help him out before all this happend? This could have all been prevented if they had taken steps before to get him the mental help he needs.

It looks as though his family has come together out of this tradgey. It may be the best thing that ever happend to all of them. Hopefully this will be the turning point the boy needed in his life. He may have ended up being a career criminal and now this will change his whole outlook.

Agreed

If your world doesn't allow you to dream,move to one where you can.
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 20:45   #24
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

if you do a stupid thing you must face the concequenses

he's lucky he's still alive, about 22 years ago a fiend of mine stole his brothers motorbike on a sunday when his parents had gone to church, he took his girlfriend for a ride.

his dad said to his mom in church when they heared the bike drive by "damn that son of mine is going to get it as soon as he comes home, making this much noise during church"
his dad never got the opportunity to tell him that , they crashed with the bike.Their bodies were found about an hour after church ended.
his girlfriend ended up in the water with the bike on top of her, her face was gone.

so this kid should count his blessings.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 23:13   #25
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
He should count his bricks before blessings, though...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 02:48   #26
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Prosthetics are lighter and offer more bounce so they can be an advantage but it depends on where the leg is amputated to get the proper leverage and fit and stuff.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions