Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 9th September 2015, 17:51   #1
Ph43l

[Winamp 5.6.6.6 Build 3516] Random Application hangs on Enqueue, Open or Play/Pause

Hello Folks,

i am not able to get behind this problem i have right now with my Winamp installation and i hope that i can get some help on here.
Been using Winamp since 2005 or so when I started digging computers n stuff and never felt the need to switch to anything else. For me it always was the first choice in music playback and I never had ANY problems with the player.
(Thanks to the Developers for this piece of Software accompanying me through my whole life (

It all began 2 months ago when I tried to enqueue files as usual and the application froze on me - more than 50 times summarized! (can´t screenshot event log as i formatted Q_Q)
I googled my fingers bleedy and couldn´t find an answer to my problem – but I found similar threads on different forums.
It then started to happen also when I tried to maximize Winamp from the Taskbar notification area, it´s where I keep it since 2005 and where I keep all my software that i really use heavily.

I tried uninstalling, cleanups of registry and all Winamp-related folders, different versions and so on - Nothing helped me.
I´m an audiophile and I need music regardless of what i´m doing, it really got me angry because for a decade i´ve been using it and I never had any annoying problems – ever!

Sometimes it happened on an enqueue, sometimes it happened on an maximize – now, after I reinstalled my OS from scratch (just because of Winamp (yeah it buggered me that much and i love Winamp)) the problem reoccurred after using it for 3 weeks flawlessly.
It happened 2 times today when I tried to pause a song with my keyboard Play/Pause hotkey. (new scenario for me, never happened before that way)
That´s when I decided to register and make a thread here because I really want this issue resolved as I need Winamp like I need music – or water.

It happens as follows:

Sometimes when I try to enqueue, play/pause or open Winamp from the Notification Area the application just kinda freezes, the application window opens like in the screenshot but the EQ-Visualization is not moving even when a song is playing.
Play/Pause also don´t work when this happens, the music goes on but I can´t use Winamp anymore – i´m forced to kill it via the TaskManager.
After i killed it it´s gone for some hours or days until it happens again - i cannot explain this.

I attached some screenshots and the Winamp Info Tool Log and I hope someone can give me some hints on where the error could origin.
I use it with kinda minimal settings, default UI, no Visuals etc. – just For Audio.
My Library contains 4077 Items, consuming over 174GB of hard-drive space.
The Library is split into a main Lossy-Format View containing MP3s, and 12 Libraries split to FLAC (6) and MP3 (6) so I have my physical albums in Lossy and Lossless formats available.
Video features etc. are all disabled as I just need pure audio playback and nothing fancy.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully someone can help me out as it drives me nuts!
Btw. I didn´t change anything on my hardware configuration.

If you need more info or if I should test something please tell me, i´d be happy to supply you with more information on this matter.

Cheers, Raph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winhanglog.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	51967   Click image for larger version

Name:	winhang1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	51968  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_09-09-2015.zip (6.1 KB, 69 views)
Ph43l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 18:31   #2
Delicieuxz

Hey, I'll just offer what worked to fix my problem ( http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=382380 ). Do a clean install:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#clean

And use the patched installer that is downloadable from here:
http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/
Delicieuxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 18:32   #3
hedron

I can't say with 100% certainty, but it sounds sort of like a hard drive access issue. You might want to check the SMART info to see if it's failing. Maybe try loading your files from a different hard drive.
hedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 16:12   #4
Ph43l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
Do a clean install
thanks for your reply, i already did multiple clean installs of different versions and only recovered my media library - all other settings i discarded from the backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedron View Post
I can't say with 100% certainty, but it sounds sort of like a hard drive access issue.
kudos to you too, i checked the HDD's and they´re all in good standing!

today the music just stopped mid playing and winamp crashed as described above - this is getting very very strange.
could the media library have something to do with this?
Old 10th September 2015, 18:26   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi

Does it still happen if you remove these 3rd-party plugins?

SA Stereo Tool - dsp_stereo_tool.dll
Skype Mood - gen_skypemood.dll
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 18:56   #6
Ph43l

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Hi

Does it still happen if you remove these 3rd-party plugins?

SA Stereo Tool - dsp_stereo_tool.dll
Skype Mood - gen_skypemood.dll
hey egg thanks for your reply!

i´m currently trying out using winamp without 24bit/dither, if the problem reoccurs i will try disabling that skype addon.
using SA since a few years too and it never made any problems - will also disable if the aforementioned options fail!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support