Old 30th August 2007, 18:12   #1
chansoo

How to delete annoying junk?

I purchased an Olive Opus for the purposes of storing some 1,500 mostly classical LPs, and of connecting with streaming audio in an area that is opaque to FM classical music broadcasts. The Opus comes pre-loaded with the Shoutcast playlist of 14.4 thousand stations in 22 categories. Most of those stations are annoying junk; many are truly whacko religious extremism; many more are downright offensive; and several are so lewd I worry about visitors seeing their titles on my Opus screen. These stations are not only troublesome and useless for my purposes, they also clutter my category lists, making it very difficult on each occasion to locate a station that I have entered and really wish to hear.
It is unfortunate that only one or two of the 200+ public stations in the US (available through "Allegro!") are included in Shoutcast's lists.
Please inform me how to selectively delete those Shoutcast stations that I find most offensive or infantile.
chansoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 18:27   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
AOL/Nullsoft runs the SHOUTcast listing, you cannot control what is or is not listed. If you want to try to configure that the Opus list, try contacting the device manafacturer.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:07   #3
chansoo

Already did that some time ago, Sawg. Olive says, contact Shoutcast as we cannot control their playlist. Your suggestion creates a closed loop. What I need is a way out of the loop, and Olive says only Shoutcast (or AOL/Nullcast if you prefer) can provide that. I did, incidentally, try to contact both AOL and Nullcast, but neither provide any contact link on their websites. Any better suggestions?
Old 30th August 2007, 20:44   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Unfortunately, I highly doubt AOL/Nullsoft will remove listings because you find some personally offensive. So, I guess you are out of luck. From the disclaimer on www.shoutcast.com

Quote:
Nullsoft, Inc. and its parent company, AOL LLC, are not responsible for the content of any broadcast. Nullsoft, Inc. believes in the First Amendment to the US Constitution and will not review or censure any broadcast. Those who listen to any broadcast listed or served herein assume all risk of being offended or suffering any other form of damage.

Old 30th August 2007, 21:51   #5
chansoo

I hope you understand that it is not the content I wish to have excised, it is its presence -- mucking up my Olive, making it difficult to access the classical music and jazz that I wish to hear. I never open those sleezy Shoutcast sites. Would you, for example, open a site that announces itself as "I Fucked Nancy Pelosi"? (I am not making this up; it exists in my Shoutcast menu.) Or, how about "Hellfire Sin Devil Brimstone"? And having bought the expensive Olive for classical, I am not really into dialing up rap other hostile junk, nor sounds that are not music but simply deafening crashing unremitting noise. Of the 14.4 thousand Shoutcast stations on my Olive, 14.3999 are of this ilk. There is obviously a market for this junk, but I am not listening. And my problem is not that they are so sleezy, but that they are contaminating my menues and making it difficult to reach the stations that I do laboriously enter into those menues. Why should it be necessary for everyone to have to sing to the level of the lowest common denominator? Come to think of it, that probably IS what this country is all about.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:44   #6
jerimiah40
Major Dude

So, basically what you're saying is that you want AOL/Nullsoft to entirely remove these stations, because you've decided that you don't want to see them. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Either that, or you aren't understanding that the listing that you see is the one which contains all stations which have made themselves public, and there is no way to remove it without telling the station "Sorry, you can't display your station on this list because ONE SINGLE PERSON has decided that they don't want to see it"
jerimiah40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 06:14   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

can't you just bookmark the ones that you like?

the listing is a listing of everything.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 12:01   #8
chansoo

No, Jerimiah, that is NOT "basically what I am saying". You got it wrong: I did NOT expect "AOL/Nullsoft to entirely remove those stations", as you and Sawg have misinterpreted. The last line of my original query is: "Please inform me how to selectively delete those Shoutcast stations that I find most offensive or infantile". I thought that was quite clear, but apparently I need to restate it. I was asking if anyone out there could advise as to how I might selectively remove the junk. Does it seem reasonable to you, Jerimiah, that buying an expensive component requires my system to cluttered with 14,400 links that I will never use? Your second para is WAY off mark. Shoutcast's list does NOT contain "all stations which have made themselves public". As my original query states, the list does not include the roughly 250 high quality public stations that are readily available through both "iTunes" and "Allegro!", both of which can be Googled. All I wish to do is remove the offensive clutter so as to make those lists readily accessible. And, nowhere does my query suggest that any station should be excluded from Shoutcast's list because "ONE SINGLE PERSON has decided they don't want to see it". I guess you read it that way because you wanted to get your whacks in, but it is a silly interpretation. If Shoutcast wishes to peddle a trash collection, so be it. I am merely seeking some way to avoid being its victim. For you, Jerimiah, that is apparently too much to ask.
TO ROCKER: Thanks for suggestion, but Olive's system has no means of bookmarking. One must plow through the entire Shoutcast list in a selected category in order to access a desired link. And, as I explained to Jerimiah, Shoutcast may be a listing of everything trashy, but it is far from a list of everything available. It does not contain any of the worldwide links that I use regularly on my computer through iTunes. My reason for buying Olive is that its reception quality is far superior to that of my computer. Since Olive promotes its product as an ideal medium for classical music, I had no clue that it would load its Opus with something so remote from good music as Shoutcast.
So, once again, does anyone out there have the technical expertise to advise how I might clear out thousands of truly shoddy Shoutcast links? And please, no more dunderhead nonesense like Jerimiah's.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:16   #9
Sawg
Forum King

You cannot "selectively delete those Shoutcast stations that I find most offensive or infantile".

It is one single database, one single page. It is the same for everyone. You don't have control over what is listed for you.

Old 31st August 2007, 17:28   #10
chansoo

Any chance of deleting the whole database?
Old 31st August 2007, 17:36   #11
Sawg
Forum King

Once again, same database for all people. Same opage. Same streams.

if you want to remove the listing all together from your device that is something the hardware manufacturer would have to assist toy with.

Old 31st August 2007, 17:38   #12
chansoo

OK, back to start. Thanks.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support