Old 26th November 2014, 17:19   #681
DrO

the 'fixed' version has only been around for just shy of 8 years now so am a bit surprised you'd not come across it even recently if searching in relation to the issue.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 09:43   #682
JarieSuicune

It's been almost a year since the first post... Still looking forward to the new release, but hoping, it isn't much longer?
JarieSuicune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 11:09   #683
MartinBLCK

Does current version work in windows 10? (5.66)
anyone knows?

btw:

DrO and others in dev team: thank you for your product which I still love
MartinBLCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 11:52   #684
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarieSuicune View Post
It's been almost a year since the first post... Still looking forward to the new release, but hoping, it isn't much longer?
@JarieSuicine: Dude read the posts in this forum!
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 06:41   #685
hannagrrl

@Raj_09: Dude, this thread is almost 20 pages long... ain't nobody got time for that!
hannagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 11:58   #686
Raj_09

@hannagrrl @JarieSuicine I refer you to the post #649 on page 17 by GorillaCat which summed it up.

In the meantime, enjoy Winamp 5.666
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 12:54   #687
DrO

lets see if any one pays attention to the note that has been put in the first post...
Old 1st December 2014, 14:49   #688
Supra107

Well, you better make it more visible like this.
Supra107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 15:12   #689
DrO

just like others had done and was also ignored...

the plain fact is more people don't read things and don't care and just want instant answers and don't want to put in the time (a few seconds typically) to find it out themselves.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:05   #690
TheGreatFalro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBLCK View Post
Does current version work in windows 10? (5.66)
anyone knows?

btw:

DrO and others in dev team: thank you for your product which I still love
Winamp 5.666 does indeed work on Windows 10. No problems yet!
TheGreatFalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:40   #691
LfmC

Winamp is, for all intents and purposes, dead. And has been for a very long time now. The new generation uses iTunes and WMP, which although not as good in some aspects, gets the job done.
The golden years of (then revolutionary) mp3 players and CD rippers are long gone; Nobody pays for a program which they can get for free. So the viability of making and supporting a program like this is very difficult.

I would like to see Winamp return to it's former glory, but a lot has changed in the last 15 years, and the old business model will not work anymore; Nobody tolerates slow, sluggish or buggy software today. Nobody wants untested plugins which might or might not work/crash. Latest versions of winamp work fine, but if a new version is in the making, repeating the fiasco known as Winamp 3 in today's software climate would be suicide. Today's generation of users want it working, simple, bug-free and they want it for free. Not saying I agree with them, but that's what gets you users. Everything else is a niche market.

If Nullsoft (or whoever owns winamp now) can make this happen, I'll be the first in line to get it. I love Winamp and use it from the start, but I have my doubts...

Just my 2c
LfmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:02   #692
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hello LfmC

Thank you for your input & feedback.

I'm pretty sure we've already mentioned here that the next release will be still based on Winamp 2.x/5.x
and that we'll be doing away with Pro and making Winamp freeware again :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:03   #693
DrO

calling a piece of software "dead" is somewhat subjective as i've got 2 instances running so it's far from dead to me

it's been stated repeatedly that what comes out as 6.x will be based on 5.x and so for it's underlying core will not be doing a Winamp3 and re-inventing the wheel (though 5.x has a lot of Winamp3 in it as part of the newer style plug-in services and obviously the modern skin support).

yes there will be changes, like most of the plug-in interfaces have been altered to help speed up start-up times and ensure common things are provided directly instead of needing the plug-ins to query Winamp for that information. but it doesn't prevent older style plug-ins from working (as long as they don't assume things).

as for untested plug-ins, most issues come from 3rd party plug-ins and primarily old ones which are not updated to be compatible with "recent" Windows and Winamp releases. and when i say "recent" i mean anything in the last 8 years.

and yes Winamp needs to be more stable, and a lot of work was done between 5.64 and 5.666 to do just that, but more has been done in the countless hours i've put in so far going over the source code in trying to make sure the code is in a better state and so in general should be more stable and less likely to cause issues like memory leaks (as has been an issue over the years).

as for sluggish, that's a bit subjective though there's been some areas that have annoyed me for years which i'm hoping will appear as a noticeable improvement. for example, i've gone from ~1s to load the classic base skin down to ~100-200ms (depending on when Winamp is loaded, what else is going on with the machine) but it's typically sub-150ms to load now which is faster than the ~170ms it takes my fb2k install to load.

there's also some obvious memory usage improvements which have and still need to be made e.g. i've got changes that reduce the main playlist editor's memory usage by upto ~45% which for large playlists generally works out as a few MB which isn't too bad a saving (though actual usage all depends on plug-ins, skins in use and other factors).

but there's a slew of other things which can be done, most of which is just being a bit smarter and only keeping things in memory when needed, otherwise after a time a lot of things should be unloaded from memory (like the db if not needed after closing a view), or not loaded at all until needed (which also helps with loading speeds and data corruption issues people have always reported).

so i understand people's concerns, but for the desktop client, it's probably best viewed that when 6.x comes out, it'll be more evolutionary than revolutionary, but that's not to say there shouldn't be some nice changes (once designed and implemented).

[edit]
i typed to much
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:21   #694
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LfmC View Post
Winamp is, for all intents and purposes, dead. And has been for a very long time now. The new generation uses iTunes and WMP, which although not as good in some aspects, gets the job done.
Mostly preference, "gets the job done" is kind of stating, "why get your dream car? just get a used kia, it gets the job done"

Quote:
The golden years of (then revolutionary) mp3 players and CD rippers are long gone; Nobody pays for a program which they can get for free. So the viability of making and supporting a program like this is very difficult.

I would like to see Winamp return to it's former glory, but a lot has changed in the last 15 years, and the old business model will not work anymore;
I believe I remember reading that Winamp was actually profitable or able to maintain itself before AOL decided to cut it. I really don't know what this "old" business model is that your speaking about, selling software? Still seems to be a pretty strong industry.

Quote:
Nobody tolerates slow, sluggish or buggy software today. Nobody wants untested plugins which might or might not work/crash.
Android marketplace says otherwise.

Quote:
Latest versions of winamp work fine, but if a new version is in the making, repeating the fiasco known as Winamp 3 in today's software climate would be suicide.
imo, the issue with Winamp3 wasn't because it was buggy and slow. It was because it was released as an alpha and everyone flocked to it expecting a finished product. I always saw winamp3 as having a lot of potential, but because of the backlash from people who for some reason thought it was supposed to work as good as a finished product, they canned it. Shame too.

Quote:
Today's generation of users want it working, simple, bug-free and they want it for free. Not saying I agree with them, but that's what gets you users. Everything else is a niche market.
I thought everyone always preferred free bug-free working software? Of course, everyone probably also prefers working a dream job that pays well and offers 6 month vacation a year too.

Quote:
If Nullsoft (or whoever owns winamp now) can make this happen, I'll be the first in line to get it. I love Winamp and use it from the start, but I have my doubts...

Just my 2c
Good to know they have your full support!
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 03:03   #695
Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i typed too much
Always impressed with DrO's comprehensive replies. In between coding.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:51   #696
Supra107

I think MMD3 should be resurrected and added as one of the default skins
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:59   #697
DrO

i'd say no on doing that (it's just not right with the general style of UIs that are preferred) and as i've said elsewhere, it'd be a better project for someone wanting to pick-up modern skinning to work on making it properly 5.x compatible.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:28   #698
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra107 View Post
I think MMD3 should be resurrected and added as one of the default skins
Translated into a more logical wish.. I think Sven Kistner (aka Bartibartman) should be hired to design the new default skin (if there is gonna be a new one). He or The Skins Factory (I think are the same..). At least for the visual aspect, for the coding part Martin would be cool (if he's willing to abandon Linux for some time ).
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:36   #699
Supra107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Translated into a more logical wish.. I think Sven Kistner (aka Bartibartman) should be hired to design the new default skin (if there is gonna be a new one). He or The Skins Factory (I think are the same..). At least for the visual aspect, for the coding part Martin would be cool (if he's willing to abandon Linux for some time ).
Actually, that's a really darn good idea!
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:38   #700
DrO

you're assuming that if there is a new default skin that it would be based on the modern skin engine which is not necessarily a safe assumption to make, though it also could be (as it's just not known at this point).

plus i'm not sure asking someone who's had little to do with Winamp for over a decade (*) to come back as a purely paid person (as i'd assume that would be the only way for your request to be viable) and make something for a player i assume they've not actively used in a long time. personally i'd rather see some input from active community people but that's not my choice to make and wholely depends on what might happen or not with a possible new default skin.

and before anyone freaks out, modern skin support is not going away, but maybe we might even end up with a non-skinned mode i.e. OS native. or we might just have a different skin engine completely in addition to what is already present (along with any tweaks those engines have or will hopefully see).

(*) it'd be like asking Justin (and any one else from the early days) to do things again when even he's clearly stated he doesn't use it much anymore and never went beyond one of the 5.08 releases. hence why although nostalgically it'd be nice having people from the 2.x days doing things again, it's just generally not something that is practical or something those people are interested in doing.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:56   #701
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I wasn't going for the nostalgia, just the professional aspect. It shouldn't be a requirement for a "new" designer to be actively related to the soft, that would cut out 99% of the professionals out there. A strong briefing and a good Case Study should be enough for any designer to come up with a good design / proposal. I think that's how TSF work with any contracted job.
Obviously, someone who actively used Winamp last years / decade wouldn't need any briefing, ideally.
And, in any case, the community feedback is (should be) a must to build that brief / case study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...or we might just have a different skin engine completely in addition to what is already present (along with any tweaks those engines have or will hopefully see).
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:05   #702
DrO

the main issue is there aren't many people who know enough about modern skinning (or can remember what to do) that exist now. so even someone who's made some of the classic skins isn't necessarily the right person if they need to re-learn things (which obviously involves more time and thus money to do things).

hence why at least for me, going the native OS route is a way to tick off that commonly requested thing but also provide enough of a different UI without having to go through all of the hassle that creating an actual skin involves (plus i'm pretty certain it'd help cut memory usage - as Big Bento tends to add somewhere around 30-40MB for me compared to a classic skin).

and designing is the comparatively the easy part compared to either needing to make changes to the skin engine, plug-ins, etc in-order to be able to achieve what the designer wants things to be.

for me, it makes more sense for things to be driven by those who actively use Winamp but then again new blood is often a good thing, but any sort of change in the default UI (even when you make it clear that people can change it if they don't like it but they won't listen to that however much you say - as was shown with the 5.0 and 5.5 releases). but i'm not the boss so we'll just have to wait and see what comes.

and i'm sure i'd mentioned about a possible new skin engine of some sort months back. though doing anything like that would take months (or longer) depending on what its aims are. though i can say that there is no such thing at the moment, just classic and a buggy old modern skin engine.
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:24   #703
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
I think Winamp has enough skins, so users can choose whatever they want...
Of course, would be nice if Winamp6 present new default skin, but that would take to long time and there is no guarantee that people like it...
Simple example... I always use Winamp Modern Skin (default). I personally don't like SUI interface (so Bento (which is nice) has no chance).
Sometimes I just use old Winamp2 default skin... Winamp is always hidden and just play the music... i dont need to see the window by most of the time.

So, important is to make Winamp popular again - that means work on it stability, speed, sound quality or performance - rather then its visual look.

We can not forget, that today people use mobile devices... So, if Winamp exists on main mobile platforms and fullly synchronize with desktops - that would be something (I dont belive in Spotify services).
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:18   #704
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Visual aspect is important enough for people to complain if it's bad or to completely ignore it if it's good and does what it's supposed to do. That's the bitchy truth IMHO ..

I generally agree with most of your post, but I'm not sure if it would take too much time.. Do you say it would take more than DrO's part??
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:34   #705
DrO

well the UI is important for a lot of people and often what people initially base things upon, so it's something that has to be thought about, though like you mention, it doesn't matter much if other things don't work. but it's not something you can just ignore. and sadly it's something that's expected (be it good or bad) when you bump to a new main number for a product to provide a new UI in some form.

as for the comment about mobile platforms, that's where things are seemingly going (though with Win10 bringing some focus back to the desktop, it gives some place for classic desktop programs like Winamp to persist still). but like mentioned, there needs to be more integration / usage of some of the cloud fad that's been going on as well as doing more in relation to streaming (seeing as we're part of a streaming group so it makes more sense to go that way for new features - but there's still a lot that can be done with local file management).

it's a bit like was tried under AOL but more towards maybe aggregation of media across devices and platforms via what is out there rather than trying to bring something else to the party. though i doubt if anything happens on those lines for it to mirror much of what was attempted previously as part of the 5.7 betas as a lot has changed since the basis of all of that was started back in late 2010/early 2011.

anyhoo, there's a lot of useful things that could be done, is just time and getting the ideas and implementations right to start with. for example i quite liked the idea of how spotiamp client included a mini-DNAS server in it and with things like Chromecast able to play such streams, rather than going through the hassle to create a upnp/dlna implementation, we just output things to the local network as a SHOUTcast stream and then other devices should be able to play it without too much issue and you've then got a simple media server for the home. (and yes having a proper upnp/dlna implementation would be better so you can pick and choose specific files instead of just playing a blind stream), but we've got the means to do it and its in keeping with the streaming requests that keep cropping up.
Old 4th December 2014, 01:56   #706
Anvil

I'm so happy Winamp is coming back. I paid for Pro so long ago, but I always felt it was worth the money. Good to hear from DJ Egg again! Keep up the work bros! Looking forward to what's coming...
Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 10:04   #707
davor.geci

I agree with DrO, but I also have to admit that saying "box sells the product" and users at the first glance within the first few seconds to fall in love or hate the product. Of course it must be stability, speed, reliability, but also a large factor in the decision bring the first few seconds that give a wow effect, and it is visual.
davor.geci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 23:26   #708
MurcanDownunder

Since the date has already been pushed from December 2014 to some time in 2015, even though I really want to, I won't ask for the the release date of the new Winamp.
I will ask though, has there been enough progress on the version to start teasing us with features of the new Winamp?
MurcanDownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 01:38   #709
Anvil

Quote:
has there been enough progress on the version to start teasing us with features of the new Winamp? -MurcanDownunder
I hope so. The one feature I was looking forward to has been to have the ratings saved to the ID tags (I checked the wishlist, so i'm cool with that). What about Album Art? I don't know much about code or metadata (just what I pick up from here and there), but can the album art be saved to the metadata tags so that it's associated with the music file, no matter what media player (preferably Winamp ) is used?
Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 03:13   #710
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Anvil,

Saving ratings is already in the current Winamp version. Look in the General Preferences - Medial Library - Options tab's Advanced Library Preferences.

Embedding albumart can be accomplished now with thinktink's plug-in (http://bogproghome.host-ed.me/downlo...beddedart.html). An embedding albumart feature will be included in the next Winamp release (then this plug-in will not be needed). The plug-in is discussed here (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357457).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 05:14   #711
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Metadata is a fancy word for XML or uniformly written text marked up to be human and machine readable. So there are alot of possibilities with metadata; though I would want the application itself working well before updates to trivial things. Yes, they are important but at present we have no officially released client and no official recognition as to the features, platforms, functions, etc.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 07:35   #712
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
... we have no officially released client and no official recognition as to the features, platforms, functions, etc.
True, but we have the comments of DrO (the developer working on the desktop client) in various threads. Some of the things he has mentioned may not make the first new release, but he has given some strong indications as to what he is trying to accomplish.

It's ok to state a preference, but something can't be trivial and important at the same time. I guess you're not a fan of the tags Anvil mentioned.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 7th December 2014, 20:50   #713
andyrwebman

Looking forward to seeing the new, working winamp. I have an old version and, whilst shoutcast radio loads within the window, it doesn't format properly or work like it should.

Any way that this could be fixed before the release of the new one?

I assume there's some URL which Winamp was polling for its shoutcast data, which still exists but is now in a different format - maybe it was screen scraping the main shoutcast page itself? Not sure. But maybe it's also possible to create a separate URL compatible with the old data format for the old versions of Winamp and sent out a .reg file to update where Winamp is looking?

Finally, I've seen the new Shoutcast site, and I'm a little sad to see it jumping on the flat design bandwagon. It used to look swish and professional, now the cold, depressing blue makes it look like something from 1996. I hope to see something more inspired in the future - the concept of "nearly flat design" (i.e. graphics which are very subtly shaded) seems to me to be a winner,
andyrwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 23:39   #714
DrO

andyrwebman: it's not to do with the SC data but purely how it's a forced version of shoutcast.com into Winamp instead of being a full implementation. i don't think much is going to be done to change that until we have a new desktop client (whether it's based on a web-view or a native view is yet to be seen). as such i know the in-Winamp experience is sub-par but there's bigger fish to fry at the moment which means such Winamp issues are lower priority until full dev-focus is applied to Winamp next year, sorry.

--------------------

the posts relating to mockingbird's request have been moved to their own thread here.
Old 12th December 2014, 23:07   #715
ManBearPig

Cant Wait :-D

Been using Winamp since 1998 or so. keep up the good work Devs. Love you long time G.I.
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 15:13   #716
KarlRhodesUK

Options > Double Size

I don't know about anyone else but I love this feature and it's always set so my winamp bar is docked to the top of my high res screen and I can still read the text.

What I'd really love, is if the playlist could also double size when the option is set. I have this bar docked to the right of the winamp bar and both docked to the top of my screen.

Thanks.
KarlRhodesUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 22:46   #717
bloodfiredeath

I hope that the new winamp fixes these problems that they fix that bug about how it plays the wrong songs and shows the wrong album covers while using lastfm scrobbler. They should fix the missing album artwork where we can download the pictures from searching the internet. I also hope that they are able to keep a cd ripper program just like how they have it now. I don't care what some say or think, but there are some of us out there who still collect cds and still isten to them in our cars and home stereos and there are still people who listen to vinyl and collect it. Not all of us care some crappy itunes and their garbage mp3s. I would rather have a physical copy of my music I like.I don't even own an ipod.
bloodfiredeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 03:32   #718
kzitsch

Downloading Winamp pro

I had purchased my copy of Winamp Pro on August 13th, 2013. Recently I had to reformat my hard drive because of a virus that got in and I neglected to back my copy of winamp up. I had purchased winamp version 5.65, and I have a valid order number. I have tried contacting customer support and they gave me a link that does not open to the webpage. The winamp online store does not seem to be avaiable to get to. I would like to just redownload my program that is properly registered. I have tried access with my browser (IE9) and firefox which I also downloaded and tried. I would appreciate any help I can get. I prefer Winamp over windows media, it is a much more useful program as it converts files from one medium to another which are available out there online. I will be glad to proivide my order number and so forth If I can get help. I would just like a link to redownload the program.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
kzitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 03:44   #719
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi kzitsh,

If you still have your registration info (name & number) download the current version from here (http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/). Install and open the general preferences (Ctrl + P) window, select Winamp Pro (top item on the left) and enter your registration info.

Old 22nd December 2014, 01:54   #720
Gamergeek1981

When will winamp return

Its been a while since winamp and shoutcast went under new management with shoutcast relaunching months later and now it's winamp's turn
Gamergeek1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion