Old 2nd January 2001, 04:49   #1
bubkaii

Send a message via AIM to bubkaii
Here is a link on the Winamp developement team intranet that shows that Winamp 3 WAS going to be done by X-Max 2000.

http://www.winamp.com/community/team...ml?who=brennan
bubkaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2001, 06:16   #2
Kevin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Don't worry about it... what ya gonna do--sue em?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2001, 06:47   #3
lordicarus

Send a message via ICQ to lordicarus
I think everyone needs to just shut up about delays in winamp3 I once complained too...but then reallized "I'm not going to go and code an MP3 player...especially one for the rest of the world to use...especially for free so I shouldnt bitch."

So unless you have the skill to program something better in that ammount of time, shut up.

Another place getting lots of needless criticism is http://www.quakerally.com

Quake3Rally has been in development for like 3 years and it still isn't done. People who bitch just anger the developers because they have to sift through all the nonsense for the few people who are actually making meaningful posts.

In the meantime go check out this nice holiday dancer :-)
http://www.winamp.com/customize/deta...ponentId=36143
lordicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2001, 09:33   #4
a-arse
Banned

Quote:
- Yes, ML stands for 'media library'.
Woohoo
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 01:45   #5
carlito_au

Send a message via ICQ to carlito_au Send a message via AIM to carlito_au Send a message via Yahoo to carlito_au
Quote:
Originally posted in Brennan's .plan
- Where is Winamp 3? Fuck if I know. At this point we've been stalled so
much I'm back in "it's done when it's done" mode. On the other hand, this
time has been invaluable for me to mature the interfaces.

- Winamp 3's public beta is being pushed back for a multitude of reasons.
One is to wait for some licensing to be completed. Another is to let us
have time to communicate with AOL and Netscape's various departments to
coordinate the launch, and yet another is to allow Justin time to finalize
Winamp 2.666, so you 2.x diehards will have one last superduper version to
hang onto until Winamp 3 wins your hearts.

So since we've got a bit more time to kill , we're going to spend it
packing Winamp 3 with yet more wads of gooey goodness, including the
scripting language which was originally scheduled for 3.1.
In fact I'm going to try to fit all the 3.1 features into 3.0 now, if only
to embarrass the Sonique guys as much as possible. I suppose I should
start in on a 3.14 feature list now just to be safe.
the embarrising bit:

Quote:

So anyway, my current best guess for a private/public beta is now
mid-November, with a "launch" (read: party in December. Don't worry,
you'll have it in plenty of time for Christmas.
carlito_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 01:51   #6
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
Winamp 3 is very highly anticapted to many...so its not uncommon for people to "bitch" about these things. It will come friends, and hopefully the wait will bring a great outcome.

YES
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 02:07   #7
lunarboy1
Forum King

I think that the complete rewrite of Winamp could be good and bad. the good... completely positively next generation sonique bashing software. the bad... they might have the same little bug problems that plagued the winamp 2.x to deal with again. In this way it could be a step back for Winamp.. All in all I'm gonna get winamp 3 no matter what and I trust them that they know what their doin.
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 03:18   #8
HardRane

Send a message via ICQ to HardRane
patience is a virtue...

The Longer it takes the less bugs it will have and the better it will be
HardRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 03:27   #9
carlito_au

Send a message via ICQ to carlito_au Send a message via AIM to carlito_au Send a message via Yahoo to carlito_au
i think there should be a public beta for power users like me. i don't mind if my computer is screwed up cause i can fix it.... i just wanna try out the new winamp - for better or worse
Old 3rd January 2001, 06:06   #10
Buff_stormy2000

Send a message via ICQ to Buff_stormy2000 Send a message via AIM to Buff_stormy2000 Send a message via Yahoo to Buff_stormy2000
Winamp [3] proof

HERE HERE
I don't mind a public beta
Buff_stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 07:49   #11
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Boys and girls,

Stop your hollaring. We hear you. I swear we do. It's coming along, but something tells me you guys are going to be disappointed with the release of Winamp3. At this rate, nothing will ever live up to the hype you guys are adding to it.

It is all new technology and therefore will have some bugs. Things will not work as well as they should and may even annoy you, however, that's the thing, we're gonna keep working on it until we think it's perfect.

There's much planned that will never meet the 3.0 release cause there's just not enough people working on the project. I have faith that when it's really done and ready, you'll definately love it. but for now, i can't make any promises.

Just sit back and relax. we'll let you know when it's out, trust me.

bed time, gotta flight in the morning

-steve

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 08:08   #12

Send a message via ICQ to M² Send a message via AIM to M²
Ok, how about a vague timetable? Will it be out before the end of Q1 '01? If not, what quarter will it be done in?
M² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 15:58   #13
Matt
Banned

Of course people will be disappointed. There may be bugs, people will moan and go back to the previous version 2.xx.

Be happy with winamp 2. It's fine, there's stuff i'd like to see added but i'll make do with plugins. In fact Winamp is fine for me. All I want is something to play mp3 files. Which is what it does fine.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 21:04   #14
PhrostByte

Ok, I don't understand why they don't just release it however it is now and update it as they add features. If a bug appears, release a new version. I don't see what the big deal is with all this keeping us waiting and stuff, just release the damn thing and we'll submit bug reports and shit to make it better.
PhrostByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 05:42   #15
Silveryn

Yup, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people out there no matter what it's like. It's been so long in coming now that the hype has overtaken the reality and Nullsoft hasn't even really been responsible for most of the hype. I agree with Matt, all i want it to do is play mp3's and if it has a few extra bells and whistles then great. Maybe it's just me but i don't really understand it when people want Winamp to play videos, stream this and that format or display cd covers etc etc. It's an mp3 player and thats what it should remain. Maybe one day Nullsoft will do the whole multimedia player thing like Windows media player 7, but that should be a seperate project.
However PhrostByte does have a point regarding all the hush hush about it, if anything it's adding to peoples frustration.
Silveryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 16:29   #16
Nexxus

Send a message via ICQ to Nexxus
Alright, I don't know how long you guys have been around, but I was here in `98 when the great Winamp 2.0 experience the exact same thing: beta leaks, moving release dates, and way too much hype. Winamp 2 didn't live up to the hype, not at first anyway, but it was still damn cool. Just wait, life will be good, and 3x will own.

Mark [Nexxus]
Nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 17:15   #17
Kaboon

Send a message via ICQ to Kaboon
Quote:
Originally posted by Brennan in his .plan
03-Jan-2001 8:45 PM

Anyway, hopefully this month we'll be sneaking out an alpha-test to our
most devoted fans. Stay tuned. The alphas will fly fast and furious once
we get rolling.
The whole .Plan

It will be here soon. (I hope.)
Kaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 00:33   #18
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

Quote:
Originally posted by PhrostByte
Ok, I don't understand why they don't just release it however it is now and update it as they add features. If a bug appears, release a new version. I don't see what the big deal is with all this keeping us waiting and stuff, just release the damn thing and we'll submit bug reports and shit to make it better.
because they want to get as many bugs out as they can before they are flooded with bug reports.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 01:15   #19
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
long...

This kinda of reminds me when I was into this game in its alpha phase on a message board. People kept askingn when they will release a beta version to the public so they can "test" it out. The developer said no cause the game is still way too full of bugs and is far from finished.(the devs respond to this forum I was at heh). At first, the dev set one time table but they didnt meet that date cause they felt the game was not ready yet but still...people kept whining and ranting. Eventually they had a closed beta test that was sent to selected people by the publisher and next thing you know it, beta leaks started to occur, info been released, etc...Of course many of the loyal gamers did not expose themselves to the leaked beta and such.

Me being a loyal Ager, I kept posting and informing the forums about when the game will be released and that its not a SET date(I was just a regular forummer). I got lucky and an official of the developers sent me a beta program. I played it and had fun, though it expired like two months later heh.

It finally was released after a lot of setbacks and twinking bugs and I bought it. It was a hell of a lot better then the beta I recieved and the anticaption was worth it.
The point is, just wait and it will hopefully be a great version of winamp. If it does not meet your expectations then oh well, hopefully you got winamp for its music playing ability and not just for updating.
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 02:13   #20
carlito_au

yet another post on Winamp 3: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=38101
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions