Old 28th December 2015, 14:15   #1
www.winamp.me

All Versions

Hi!
Do not ask me why, bud a have collected almost all versions of winamp...
I made a website to share them
it's really not necessary but why not...

check www.winamp.me

What do you think?
www.winamp.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 20:00   #2
Hanschke

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755&page=10 is missing.
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 20:54   #3
djpete
Major Dude

nicely done.
Some good history about Winamp too. excellent.
I'll add this to our links at Winamp Enthusiasts group

(PS You need to add a page title to the index page so it shows up as say Winamp All Versions instead of currently, No Title)

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 21:36   #4
www.winamp.me

Hi!

DJPETE-->Thanks for your advice!
I will add the page title now.

HANSCKE--> it's about the 5.666 version?
I have not yet put all the versions of Winamp 5 on the site...but soon
Maybe for de week-end.
Old 30th December 2015, 09:48   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i like it, but i think it needs all the versions and full changelogs, esp for recent releases.

also, include prominent links to the official latest DL urls. let people know that most of what you have there is not the latest, and not recommended / supported.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 10:57   #6
www.winamp.me

I will consider your comments and make all necessary changes
Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 11:16   #7
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

I'd be careful distributing older copies of Winamp and esp Shoutcast software.

I've heard on the grapevine that Radionomy are trying to stop people distributing OLD downloads of Shoutcast v1.9.8 etc... I had to remove the download from my site after a friendly warning!

I'd imagine they'll probably do the same with sites distributing Old copies of Winamp too...

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 11:23   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

i don't see why or how they can? isn't shoutcast open source?

if an appropriate warning is on the page, i don't see the harm in it. having old versions can be very helpful in troubleshooting, e.g. a feature stopped working but used to work in such and such an old ver, that kind of thing. when necessary, i use an old ver of mp3tag b/c newer ones mishandle the POPM field.

--
Old 30th December 2015, 12:01   #9
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I don't see why or how they can? isn't shoutcast open source?
Because they now own the rights to the software I guess.

I could be wrong but I don't think SC is open source nowadays anyway.

Big corporations will send cease & desist or even DMCA notices against a website if they need to.

YOU can't argue against a big corporation... No matter how hard you try!

People should know that after the way AOL treated Winamp/Shoutcast over the years.

Old 30th December 2015, 12:06   #10
Tohno_Neil

winmp,the lack of creativity
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 14:10   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

i am surprised that shoutcast isn't open source, i assume then the dsp isn't either. i know there were some small bits of open source in winamp, but the docs never got published that i saw, (like for RG i think). i don't know why i thought SC was OS, but oh well.

however, open source or not, i think its very bad form to put things out for DL, and then threaten legal action if someone re-posts them. i understand they may want total control, but that doesn't entitle them to it. it isn't a $ copyright issue either, like stealing songs is. if someone puts something out into the public square, esp for free, it essentially becomes public property; there's no point in trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube.

i think the site is a public service, and frankly it isn't hard to imagine hosting these files at some location, (like a personal dropbox, russia, etc) that doesn't care what lawyers say. at that point what? we're going to go after a site that merely LINKS to the hosted files? ridiculous to even bother with. that kind of thinking is what sunk winamp to begin with. no need to fully employ lawyers, lets use resources where it matters, like on devs for instance.

--
Old 30th December 2015, 15:05   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Read each item's Terms of Usage. In the US, software is a product owned by those who create it. Most US owners grant others the right to use the software (whether it's provided free or not) while not accepting liability for any damages that may occur from such usage. Some states in the US grant their residents the right to sue for damages anyway. The right to use does not automatically convey any full or partial ownership of the software.

In the US, the legal owners of the software can rescind the right to use to any or all as they choose. They also have the right to control how their product is distributed. They can sue anyone who violates their rights.

It's all about money, making profit (if any) for the owners and reducing cost for the owners (like the cost of support for old versions). In the US it's not about "trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube", it's about what legal and what's not.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 15:18   #13
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

If you do a search for Shoutcast v1.9.8 on Google it comes up with 2,280+ pages of results...

I'd imagine its even more for all the various versions of Winamp.

So exactly how they intend to stop anyone from downloading and using it is completely beyond me. I know Radionomy want to force everyone on to v2 but that isn't ever going to happen. Still a lot of stations out there broadcasting on 1.9.8

It's like the old versions of SAM Broadcaster there's far too many copies out there in the wild on file sharing sites etc... for them to be able to control who has it.

Old 30th December 2015, 15:21   #14
www.winamp.me

What kind of warning can i put on the website about property/support?
Old 30th December 2015, 15:28   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybaldy72uk View Post
So exactly how they intend to stop anyone from downloading and using it is completely beyond me.
The owners who can afford it, randomly pick out and sue violators. They do it every day (sometimes you hear about cases and sometimes you don't). Sure, they can't sue everyone, but they will continue to do it as long as they make more than it costs them. Do you want to take the chance of being among those who are sued? Of course, if you live and can make a living outside of the areas of jurisdiction then you don't have to be concerned.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 30th December 2015, 15:33   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.winamp.me View Post
What kind of warning can i put on the website about property/support?
Contact the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union). They should be able to provide free legal advice or direct you to where you can get some.

Usually all you need do is get permission from the owners to distribute their product or be able to prove 'a good faith effort' that you tried to contact them. Distribution rights are usually granted if you don't charge anything beyond your distribution costs. Many owners appreciate distribution channels that extend exposure to their product(s), that doesn't cost them anything and doesn't seriously limit what profit they can make from their own distribution efforts.

Old 30th December 2015, 19:20   #17
www.winamp.me

Thank you for your advice guys
Old 31st December 2015, 10:44   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.winamp.me View Post
Thank you for your advice guys
you don't need to contact the ACLU (gimmie a break!) and / or worry about anything. all you have to do is act in good faith and with common sense. your website is simply speech. no one can stop you from that. nothing you say at the website is verboten.

as far as hosting the actual files, feel free to do so for now. if at some point, Radionomy, Vivendi, or whoever should contact you, all you need to do is stop hosting the actual files, and instead host LINKS to them at places they have no jurisdiction over, (like Russia or dropbox or a torrent hash or whatever as i said above. i'm sure most are already available elsewhere right now).

i really don't see how that could be a problem, considering these very forums do EXACTLY the same thing!

having said all that, i do think its a matter of good faith to provide the following:

1. prominent links to the current software that is officially supported. (meaning, links to winamp's official release[s] outside of whatever you host/mirror yourself)
2. prominent warnings that make it clear that any and all older versions are NOT supported and are here for historical and troubleshooting purposes only, and for use at your own risk.
3. some kind of indication that your site is not affiliated in any official way with winamp.

you could also have an "about" page explaining all this, and if it were me, i have my official links and mirrors up top of the page, big, by themselves, and then the warning underneath and the old versions listed in those boxes under that. make it so clear stevie wonder could see it.

--
Old 31st December 2015, 15:53   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

There is no need to worry when nothing irreparable has occurred, but it is wise to be prudent about possible issues that may come up. When it comes to the US justice system, "good faith" and "common sense" can mean many diverse things.

When doing anything in the public arena, it can't hurt to get experienced legal advice concerning whatever it is that is being done, imo.

Old 22nd February 2016, 01:51   #20
rwgdjcfp

Thank you for your efforts!
rwgdjcfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 09:22   #21
Josh Davidson

Wonderfull Works Done.

You have done wonderfully, we like the website design of your website. Great work
Josh Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
all versions