Old 28th April 2000, 17:12   #1
icculus

Send a message via ICQ to icculus
I was wondering how I go about entering authentication information for the proxy. There is a field in the main setup screen for a proxy ort. But, there is no obvious area to enter user/password information. I have tried several guesses for syntax such as mike assword@proxy ort, but that and all other methods I tried only got me errors in resolving the proxy. Winamp does recognize that authentication is needed because when I just enter proxy ort into the appropriate field and attempt to open a URL, I get an error that says something like "authentication required"...

Any secret here? I have done a scouring of the faq, ask steeves questions, and product documentation for this information, but have had no luck. I guess the tech staff is really busy too because I asked them this same ? about 2 months ago (i think) w/ no response... Anyone know how to solve my proxy problem?

Thanks...
Mike Joseph
mike@iteamhq.com

icculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2000, 22:17   #2
Pete_George

I am having the same problem. Maybe if there's some way for it to use a browsers (Netscape, IE, Opera, etc...) authentication ? Does anyone have any ideas or maybe a plugin of some type ? I hate having to use media player !

Thanks,
Pete George
pete_george@yahoo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by icculus:
I was wondering how I go about entering authentication information for the proxy. There is a field in the main setup screen for a proxy ort. But, there is no obvious area to enter user/password information. I have tried several guesses for syntax such as mike assword@proxy ort, but that and all other methods I tried only got me errors in resolving the proxy.

the rest is chopped to conserve space......

Thanks...
Mike Joseph
mike@iteamhq.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 2nd May 2000, 21:01   #3
hands

i have the same problem...

whatz up?
Old 2nd May 2000, 21:26   #4
tonyc

Same problem. Do any Nullsoft folks monitor this forum? Can anyone answer this question?
Old 3rd May 2000, 17:03   #5
jb

Maybe if enough of us bitch someone who has actually had success with the proxy feature will post a help message.
Old 3rd May 2000, 18:29   #6
icculus

@ least I'm not alone

BTW... all those smileys that appeared in my original post = (e.g., userass, siteort, etc)
Old 3rd May 2000, 20:08   #7
tonyc

Okay, in keeping with the "if enough of us bitch" theory, I'm officially bitching.
Old 4th May 2000, 15:18   #8
tonyc

^
Old 5th May 2000, 17:08   #9
tonyc

^ again
Old 8th May 2000, 03:48   #10
beavis

I'm having the same problem. Anyone gotten proxy authentication to work??? Thanks.
Old 8th May 2000, 03:56   #11
Tom

If I am not mistaken, there is no way to do what all of you are tring with Winamp. I suggest you use the bitch theory that jb came up with, go try the Justin forum and the Wishlist forum.

Tom
http://players.shoutclub.net
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2000, 10:47   #12
griffinn

WinAmp can only talk with HTTP proxies that don't require proxy authorization. You will need some kind of convoluted mechanism to sneak the proxy authorization header into WinAmp's HTTP request before it gets sent to the HTTP proxy server.

There's a utility called "Stone" (not that aged virus) that can insert the proxy authorization header for you. The way it works is, it runs as an HTTP proxy on your own PC, and then when your Winamp connects to this local proxy, it forwards the request to the real HTTP proxy, slipping in the proxy authorization header on the way.

Download it from:
http://www.gcd.org/sengoku/

After you unzip the contents you'll have a stone.exe file. You then execute the program with a command that looks like this:

stone 180.19.7.231:8080/proxy 8011 "Proxy-Authorization: Basic eWFkYTp5YWRh"

Explanations on the command line arguments:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> 180.19.7.231:8080/proxy - act as a HTTP proxy and forward all requests to 180.19.7.231:8080 (that't the proxy at my office; remember to customize to your own settings)
<LI> 8011 - listen on the localhost port 8011.
<LI> "Proxy-Authorization: Basic eWFkYTp5YWRh" - insert this HTTP header before forwarding the request. The enclosing quotes are significant. The gibberish at the end is username assword, base64-encoded.
</UL>
You will need to download a base64 encoder to encode your own "username assword" and use the encoded string in your Proxy-Authorization header.

Then you have to tell WinAmp to connect to the local proxy instead of the real HTTP proxy. Change the proxy setting in your WinAmp config to "127.0.0.1:8011" (if you have not changed the listening port in my example above).
Old 15th May 2000, 10:50   #13
griffinn

Ahh!!! The smilies ruined my previous post.

Note that all instances of username(smilie)assword is intended as usernameassword
Old 16th May 2000, 22:03   #14
icculus

You da man
Old 16th May 2000, 22:15   #15
JohnBlaze

Hey I'm having similiar problems getting around my firewall. I d/l'd Stone and got a java base64 converter that put my ID and PW into a nice lil text file. I am still having problems with my proxie though. While you explained it really well. I am still a tad confused on how it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>After you unzip the contents you'll have a stone.exe file. You then execute the program with a command that looks like this:

stone 180.19.7.231:8080/proxy 8011 "Proxy-Authorization: Basic eWFkYTp5YWRh"

Explanations on the command line arguments:

180.19.7.231:8080/proxy - act as a HTTP proxy and forward all requests to 180.19.7.231:8080 (that't the proxy at my office; remember to customize to your own settings)

8011 - listen on the localhost port 8011.

"Proxy-Authorization: Basic eWFkYTp5YWRh" - insert this HTTP header before forwarding the request. The enclosing quotes are significant. The gibberish at the end is username assword, base64-encoded.

You will need to download a base64 encoder to encode your own "username assword" and use the encoded string in your Proxy-Authorization header.
Then you have to tell WinAmp to connect to the local proxy instead of the real HTTP proxy. Change the proxy setting in your WinAmp config to "127.0.0.1:8011" (if you have not changed the listening port in my example above).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I have to figure out the IP of my proxy and use that in my command line for stone?

Where do I obtain the Proxy IP? I am sure that question has an easy answer.

And then I understand to point Winamp at my proxy which is sending the header to the proxy. There must be an easier way to do this.

Another question I have is I went and grabbed an 'encoder' that is all in java code. How do I compile this code so that it runs the program?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by griffinn:
Ahh!!! The smilies ruined my previous post.

Note that all instances of username(smilie)assword is intended as username assword
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 16th May 2000, 22:42   #16
Regor

I will point out that Xmms supports this feature.

You can access things with http passwords with the standard form:

http://usernameassword@host.domain.com/file.mp3

This works great with Xmms under *nix operating systems but Winamp does not appear to have this feature. I would be nice if it did.

Old 16th May 2000, 22:52   #17
JohnBlazey

You are right it WOULD be nice if Win did that. But it doesn't. Still trying to figure out the IP of my proxy server here at work. I've got stone up and running, getting this error:

May 16 14:41:27 start (2.1) [-356439]
May 16 14:41:31 Unknown address err=11004: 148.172.231.39
May 16 14:41:31 stone 9: 148.172.231.39:8080/proxy &lt;- 8011
May 16 14:42:50 Unknown address err=11004: 148.172.231.39
May 16 14:42:51 TCP 19: can't connect err=10061: to 148.172.231.39:8080/proxy
May 16 14:43:21 Unknown address err=11004: 148.172.231.39
May 16 14:43:21 TCP 18: can't connect err=10061: to 148.172.231.39:8080/proxy

My other problem is the Base64 translation. I don't have a big calculator here to find it out and I have no idea to figure out Base64 of my PW.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Regor:
I will point out that Xmms supports this feature.

You can access things with http passwords with the standard form:

http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]assword@host.domain.com/file.mp3]http://username assword@host.domain.com/file.mp3

This works great with Xmms under *nix operating systems but Winamp does not appear to have this feature. I would be nice if it did.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

JB
Old 16th May 2000, 22:57   #18
JohnBlazey

OK I figured I'm using the wrong addy for my Proxy server. So I ran winipcfg and came up with my Default gateway. I figure thats most likely the proxy server out of the lot.

I ran stone again and it looks like I might be right, the problem with Base64 still remains though. I'm clueless on that. I've got code for a Java based Base64 proggrie and the documentation in it is decent but I'm clueless when it comes to programming.

I'm such a newb.
Old 17th May 2000, 03:00   #19
Fred

John,

I don't know anything about stone but I may be able to help you out with the proxy setting. Try this:

Under IE4:
Click on View, Internet Options, Connection tab.
Your proxy setting and port should appear in the proxy section of the screen

Under IE5:
Click on Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN Settings button
Again, your proxy address and port should be showing.

If the proxy server is listed by name instead of IP address then try substituting the name where you are expected to put the IP for stone. If that does not work, or you just want to use the IP address instead, then start a DOS prompt and type "PING proxyname" (without the quotes of course). PING should respond with the IP address that belongs to your proxyname. Just for clarification, if your proxy settings show that your proxy is called "company.proxy.net" then "PING company.proxy.net".

Your gateway address is probably not the same as your proxy address. They are usually two entirely different critters unless you are dealing with a small network.

Good luck,
Fred

p.s. I like the smiles
Old 17th May 2000, 06:20   #20
griffinn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnBlazey:
I ran stone again and it looks like I might be right, the problem with Base64 still remains though. I'm clueless on that. I've got code for a Java based Base64 proggrie and the documentation in it is decent but I'm clueless when it comes to programming.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a good base64 utility package written by Sean O'Malley:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/3056/

After you've downloaded and unzipped the base64 package, you should have a ENCODE64.EXE file. Now you should create a text file with only one line that says:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>usernameassword[/code]

Substitute with your own proxy username and password, of course. And remember: Do not add a carriage-return after the line, or else the resulting
base64-encoded string won't work!

Now run:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>ENCODE64 the_file.txt[/code]

This should create a file "the_file.64" containing the base64-encoded representation of your userassword string. Your proxy auth header would then be:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>Proxy-Authorization: Basic (base64_encoded_string)[/code]
Old 17th May 2000, 07:51   #21
jb supporter

Haven't been involved with proxy changes but have an unanswered tech support question. I am replying her to support your suggestion for more people to bitch. I also suggest for all to discontinue using Winamp until there are prompt responses to questions. Since AOL bought Winamp and subsequently added coding to track people's usage (such as Real Player did with the Juke Box) they will definitely be aware that people are no longer using Winamp and therefore no longer providing the free information that AOL values so much. They should pay us for the info anyway. Also contact nullsoft and let them know that Winamp won't be used until issues have been settled, including the added coding(s).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb:
Maybe if enough of us bitch someone who has actually had success with the proxy feature will post a help message.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 17th May 2000, 17:33   #22
mdbsoftware

Thanks to JohnBlaze for pointing me here from Steve's Forum.

Regarding the proposed solution involving "Stone" and pasword encoding, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! If my employer caught me spending that much time doing THAT to THEIR computer so I can listen to internet radio, they would probably fire me!

Consider this my contribution to the bitch count. Maybe someday AOL/Nullsoft will get around to addressing this problem. 'Till then . . . back to Windows Media Player
mdbsoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2000, 21:57   #23
joe

More bitching
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 04:40   #24
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mdbsoftware:

Regarding the proposed solution involving "Stone" and pasword encoding, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! If my employer caught me spending that much time doing THAT to THEIR computer so I can listen to internet radio, they would probably fire me!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a quicker solution, which carries even more risk of getting yourself fired, is to slap a packet sniffer on to your LAN and steal the Proxy-Authentication header from HTTP traffic while your co-workers surf the web. If this is morally objectionable, you can confine your sniffer to spy on your own PC while you're using IE or Netscape.

Of course, I'm assuming you already have a packet sniffer handy somewhere so it's less work than setting up Stone...

Hey, if any Winamp people are watching this discussion, please appreciate the loyalty some of us have for Winamp, considering we'd go to such absurd length just to make it work through an authenticating proxy. While we nerds are sitting here all day hacking our way through, the less impatient are turning to Windows Media Player.
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 05:14   #25
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by griffinn:
Of course, I'm assuming you already have a packet sniffer handy somewhere so it's less work than setting up Stone...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was I thinking?! I meant to say that snatching the header with a sniffer saves finding an actual base64 encoder to encode your own password. You still need to set up Stone when you run Winamp.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> BTW, let me add a couple of points here just for interest:
<LI> Stone works equally well with RealPlayer.
<LI> If you run Stone with the command host ort/proxy "header" this would allow EVERYBODY to connect to your proxy and use YOUR proxy auth header. To restrict Stone to connect with just localhost (127.0.0.1), add the IP address to the end, so the command looks like host ort/proxy "header" 127.0.0.1
</UL>
Old 18th May 2000, 06:50   #26
Oblivion

griffinn you are THE man.

I admit that the solution is not one of the most appealing, but with your guidelines, I finally managed to do it
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 11:09   #27
Cody
dot com bomb
Beta Team

Us? We dont even know what time it is. You option has been submitted. And you dont need to fill our forums with crap just to get us to look at them.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tonyc:
Same problem. Do any Nullsoft folks monitor this forum? Can anyone answer this question?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 17:50   #28
JohnBlaze

Griff. I will try that tomorrow. I did not setup shoutcast at home today and, in case I did get confronted on why I am using it, I want to point at the IP and say 'I'm just trying to connect to my own PC at home' which I am hoping they would be a little more understanding of. Maybe just a slap on the wrist.

I don't see why they would object to me setting up a proxy off of my own PC though.
Old 18th May 2000, 17:54   #29
mdbsoftware

Cody,

Thanks for the reply! We appreciate the fact that you are busy.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cody:
Us? We dont even know what time it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for submitting our option! How long is the list? What are the priorities? Is this something that will be acted upon or sit on the list?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cody:
You option has been submitted<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears that the squeaky wheel gets greased since the original post was on 4/28 and after 25 posts and 20 days we get a response!
And you dont need to fill our forums with crap just to get us to look at them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an added incentive for AOL/NullSoft, if you fix this, you can get your statistics from me (now you can't since I can't get through the firewall).

btw: I am a loyal WinAmp user, use it all the time for my local mp3's , just can't use it for internet radio etc.

mdbsoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 19:32   #30
JohnBlaze

OK!

I can get out and listen to things on the web now! Woot!

It could possibly be worse guys. I'm not sure how but it could be. I too loyally follow winamp wherever it may take me. Poo poo on the people that disagree with the creators selling it to get really filthy rich off of. And now they are assured some longevity for their product.

Kudos to the Winamp creators.

Next question for you guys though. Setting up a SHOUTCAST server through a firewall. I know this one has been done. But that is the roadblock I am hitting now. I'll be working on it tonite.
Old 22nd May 2000, 16:52   #31
JohnBlaze

Keep this topic alive!
Old 23rd May 2000, 01:45   #32
gorilla800lbs

griffin, thanks a lot for a tip!! stone just works!!
Old 31st May 2000, 05:47   #33
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Here's to offer a little more info that might help, since this proxy authentication issue keeps popping up in the Tech Forum...

If you can't bother to find out how to base64-encode your usernameassword string, and would get arrested for running a packet sniffer, you can try to coerce your IE / Netscape into telling you your Proxy-Authentication header by running the HTTP ProxySpy:
http://home.comset.net/povarov/proxy.html

This utility acts as a man-in-the-middle between your browser and the real proxy, and can log all the HTTP negotiation that's going on, including the proxy auth header the browser makes after it asks you for your proxy username and password. Just set up this ProxySpy app, then use your browser to surf a couple of pages. Then scour through the ProxySpy log and you'll find a "Proxy-Authentication" header. Copy that whole line and use it with the "stone" utility mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 6th October 2000, 00:03   #34
Aidan

I downloaded the Stone prog but it is in some .lzh compression format. I downloaded the lha213 compression utility, but for some damn reason can't get the stone file decompressed. Would someone please email me the prog or point me to a site that has it in zip, arj, cab, or any other compression other than .LZH!!!
Here's to offer a little more info that might help, since this proxy authentication issue keeps popping up in the Tech Forum...

If you can't bother to find out how to base64-encode your username assword string, and would get arrested for running a packet sniffer, you can try to coerce your IE / Netscape into telling you your Proxy-Authentication header by running the HTTP ProxySpy:
http://home.comset.net/povarov/proxy.html

This utility acts as a man-in-the-middle between your browser and the real proxy, and can log all the HTTP negotiation that's going on, including the proxy auth header the browser makes after it asks you for your proxy username and password. Just set up this ProxySpy app, then use your browser to surf a couple of pages. Then scour through the ProxySpy log and you'll find a "Proxy-Authentication" header. Copy that whole line and use it with the "stone" utility mentioned earlier in this thread.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2000, 19:19   #35
Aidan

I have enjoyed Winamp for quite awhile now, but not being able to connect through my proxy is getting annoying. Why hasn't Winamp put in a clear setting for username, password, and the proxy. RealJuke has a great place to manualy input the needed information for a proxy. Why doesn't Winamp have something simular? I would use those other media players, but I don't want to. Winamp is the one I enjoy using.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2000, 04:44   #36
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Deja-vu syndrome !

Winamp Prefs -&gt; SetUp -&gt; HTTP Proxy box
Username:Password@Server:Port

PowerArchiver supports LZH compression.

Over & Out !
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2000, 22:52   #37
Finkle

Here is a handy Web-Based BASE64 Encoder:
http://www.wc.cc.va.us/dtod/base64/default.asp

Old 10th November 2000, 15:34   #38
Shagggz

username assword@999.999.999.999:9999
Old 10th November 2000, 16:04   #39
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
note for later:

check the disable smiles in this post box in the UBB message box
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2000, 16:32   #40
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phisherman:
note for later:

check the disable smiles in this post box in the UBB message box
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[edit: icculus did write the helping phriendly book. you are supposed to be the almighty ICCULUS! ]
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support