Old 8th August 2006, 08:01   #1
MALditoNica

Using a FM Tuner for streaming multiple stations

Like 4 years ago I came here to find out how to stream 2 FM stations using 1 computer. The answer was: 2 soundcards, 2 radio tuners connected to the line-in jack of the 2 soundcards, 2 instances of winamp, with 2 shoucasts servers. Using 2 different ports.

That went well .. for years actually. Then, computer went down, and I had to do everything again. But now, for some reason, hardware conflicts have me thinking of a better solution to the issue.

Why not use a pci fm tuner, instead of the 2 soundcards and the 2 external fm tuners? And since the pci card does the tuning digitally, maybe it can tune more than one station at a time. However, how will I choose the dsp source for the streaming?
As you can see, I have quite a few questions ..
MALditoNica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 13:04   #2
john@ROCKNTV1

Location: i have broken not a single rule and you deleted my sig craigF.. OK MY TURN CRAIGF and smelter thank for bumping bulks flame post
Re: Using a FM Tuner for streaming multiple stations

Quote:
Originally posted by MALditoNica
Like 4 years ago I came here to find out how to stream 2 FM stations using 1 computer. The answer was: 2 soundcards, 2 radio tuners connected to the line-in jack of the 2 soundcards, 2 instances of winamp, with 2 shoucasts servers. Using 2 different ports.

That went well .. for years actually. Then, computer went down, and I had to do everything again. But now, for some reason, hardware conflicts have me thinking of a better solution to the issue.

Why not use a pci fm tuner, instead of the 2 soundcards and the 2 external fm tuners? And since the pci card does the tuning digitally, maybe it can tune more than one station at a time. However, how will I choose the dsp source for the streaming?
As you can see, I have quite a few questions ..

i would stay with the external tuners....as interference
and other dc/ac rf can be kept to a minimum.

line in plus aux = 2 inpt

i never liked digi tuners as they cant be adjusted for signal fluctuations like an anolog tuner can be...
hope this helps....
john
john@ROCKNTV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 20:33   #3
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
You should also be aware that streaming in itself requires payment of royalty fees for any copyrighted tracks played. In rebroadcasting a FM feed you are also placing yourself liable for additional copyright violations since radio stations broadcast both music, locally created programming and commercials - all of which are copyrighted in their own way and can create a very serious legal situaion. If you worry about it is up to you but it's wise to know that rebroadcasting any radio station can put you in a potentially serious legal situation. Be careful.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Don't click this link!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions