Old 16th October 2007, 11:24   #1
stlucifer

missing tags & cover arts

I've installed winamp 5.5 and i've found that, when importing my mp3s to winamp, it skips some tags. Sometimes the years, sometimes the track title and so on. Sometimes i've also found the "lyrics3" tag enabled, even if no lyrics has never been embedded at all.
This applies to media library's "watched folders" as like as manually imported files.

My entire collection (20+k files) is on a remote drive, mapped as Z: on my pc, and every file has been tagged through MusicBrainz Picard (version 0.90 alpha 14).

Needless to say that no other tagger/player (itunes, mediamonkey, id3-tag it, ecc.) suffer this problem, every tag is displayed correctly elsewhere.

My other question is about cover arts. Does winamp use as a coverart every image in the same mp3's folder or does it also read embedded images?

thanks.
stlucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 12:47   #2
MoodIndigoNL

Well, I somewhat have the same problems.

I added a downloaded CD to my playlist. On load it gave the ID3v1-tag visible (the correct filled tag). On play it loaded the ID3v2 and Metadata-tag (filled with "wrong" data, such as "unknown artist" and "unknown title").
On play it displayed "Unknown artist - Unknown title".

When I used the "Auto-tag"-button, the metadata was filled with the right info (such as artist and title), but it didn't save that data to a tag.
The ID3v1-tag contained the same *unedited* info (slightly different from the data by the "auto-tag"-function), the ID3v2-tag still contained the "unknown artist/title"-data.
On play it still displayed "Unknown artist - Unknown title".

Then, when I copied the correct ID3v1-tag to ID3v2, the data isn't saved. It is as though the metadata-tag is "superior" and overwrites the data in the ID3v2-tag. Automatically I checked the file for any write-protections, but there are none.

Is this a problem in WinAmp itself/the programming in Metadata/ID3-tags, or mine?
MoodIndigoNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 12:37   #3
stlucifer

c'mon. nobody knows? there isn't any tech-moderator who can answer?
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:45   #4
spacefish

I also use Picard 0.9.0 alpha 14 on Windows Vista (x32). After fiddling around with in_mp3.dll, it appears that 5.5 isn't actually reading v2 tags but "reading" v1 tags and reporting them as v2. I say "reading" because I don't actually write v1 tags when I tag my files. Afterthought: Maybe 5.5 is auto-tagging when it shouldn't be. I never want it to auto-tag (mostly because GraceNote et. al. are crap -- why the heck didn't you guys hook up with MusicBrainz?). Is there a way to disable this function?

What's more, the playlist shows the tracks correctly as if reading from the (correct) v2 tag but reports them incorrectly to other applications, such as last.fm. For example, I have a file tagged <artist> Jarabe de Palo - <track> No te duermas (Que no hemos acabado), and it displays that way in the playlist, but the v2 tag info reports Jarabe de Palo - No te Duermas to last.fm.

If I uncheck all the v1 options in in_mp3.dll, NONE of my tags display on any of my files (at least the ones I've looked at so far), the v2 tab on View File Info... is blank and the Include box is unchecked. Checking the v1 options in in_mp3.dll, makes tag info appear on the v2 tab and checks the Include box, the v1 tab is still blank and checking the Include box does not cause anything to display.

All my tags display properly in other programs such as ID3-TagIT and Windows Explorer.

Re: cover art - I have Picard set to tag my files with cover art when available. Does Winamp not read that frame or is this related to the above? Is there any way to mass download the covers for all my albums/files? I have tons and selecting them individually is tedious.
spacefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:32   #5
stlucifer

so, we should blame the library that can't read id3 layers in a suitable way. or we should blame winamp for using that library? that's an hard decision ...
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:07   #6
ninjamupp

Yeah, I've had the same experience as Spacefish with the ID3v1. Thankfully I've removed most of the v1-tags so it does read the v2 infromation -- but it's still really annoying when I encounter some where I forgot. There's a good reason why I turned reading ID3v1 off.
ninjamupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:57   #7
stlucifer

the point is that neither spacefish or me had id3v1 tags in our mp3s ... so why does it mess v2 informations to us?
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:14   #8
spacefish

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjamupp
Yeah, I've had the same experience as Spacefish with the ID3v1. Thankfully I've removed most of the v1-tags so it does read the v2 infromation -- but it's still really annoying when I encounter some where I forgot. There's a good reason why I turned reading ID3v1 off.
It does NOT read the v2 info on my files though. It's filling in v2 info but not from my tags. I think it might be getting it from auto-tag info but I don't know how. When I open the files in ID3-TagIT NO v1 tags are present so I know there aren't any on my files. The stuff Winamp is reporting is just plain wrong.
Old 24th October 2007, 08:59   #9
spacefish

No ideas on this one? I've tried reinstalling 5.5 and 5.35 but the latter fails to load now so I'm stuck using 5.5 with bad data. Technically, I could "retag" via Winamp (the tags are there, Winamp just doesn't read them correctly) so the stuff reports correctly but that's neither optimal nor desirable. And the fact that in_mp3.dll only reports (bad) v2 tags with v1 enabled, leads me to believe that there's a problem with this build. About the only thing I can think of to do now is to switch media players and that makes me very, very sad.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:02   #10
fergusmacdonald

I'm having the same problem with Winamp 5.5, it's not reading the ID3V2 tags. When i select a track that is tagged in ID3V2 it shows the tag information on the Basic Info screen, the ID3V1 tag, but not the ID3V2 screen.

It also removes the 'Genre' field (which is how i noticed the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated...now i really wish i hadn't deleted the version 3 install file!
fergusmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 09:50   #11
stlucifer

it's a shame that there isn't a single moderator who answer to technical questions :s
i think i'm gonna switch to another player ...
Old 27th October 2007, 17:48   #12
fergusmacdonald

Do you know of something as good as Winamp? I have 18K+ songs and can dump them all in the playlist in 10 seconds in Winamp...and it rarely crashes.
Old 27th October 2007, 18:09   #13
spacefish

I had high hopes for Songbird but unfortunately the latest build crashes on my machine. I've always loved Winamp's window shade mode -- very small! -- and I just can't find that in other players. Needless to say, if this isn't addressed and fixed, I'm going to be one seriously disappointed user.
Old 27th October 2007, 18:27   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp doesn't automatically modify any tags whatsoever, ever!

The only way it'll update any tags is if:
1) you use the Auto-Tag feature (either via the Send To menus, or by clicking on the AutTag button in the Alt+3 Editor and then clicking OK
2) You manually edit the tags via Alt+3 (File Info) or Ctrl+E (ML > Edit selected items)

If the Lyrics3 tab is showing in File Info (Alt+3) then this means that there's a Lyrics3 tag in the actual file. Winamp didn't put it there, because it can't. It only reads Lyrics3, not writes.

Maybe your other programs don't read the Lyrics3 tags because they don't support Lyrics3? In the same way that Winamp / in_mp3 currently doesn't support the reading (or writing) of APEv2 tags in MP3 files.

This is the order of precedence, as depicted by the MP3 specification (not by Winamp).

ID3v2 tag takes precedence over any others

Lyrics3 tag takes precedence over ID3v1

Other than that, I've no idea what your exact problem is, not without at least examining a sample file.

See the sticky FAQ thread for details, ie. the one that says you'll be ignored if you don't provide all the required info:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

What are your settings in:

Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Input > in_mp3 > config > Titles/Tags tab?

Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Local Media > Watch Folders > Configure?

Where is your "List of Plugins" log?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins

Are you using some 3rd-party mp3 input plugin?

(eg. one of in_mp3pro, in_mad, in_!mpg123)

If yes, then that'll be the cause of your problem. Use Nullsoft in_mp3 only!

Re: cover art
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=278538#notes
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 18:29   #15
fergusmacdonald

How can i supply a sample file?
Old 27th October 2007, 18:57   #16
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by fergusmacdonald
This way...
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Upload that file to one of stashbox.org, mediafire.com or sendspace.com, and post the link here (don't worry if it says 'url submitted by user' in your post, mods/admin can still see the url).

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 18:58   #17
spacefish

Winamp is not changing my tags, it is reporting tags that aren't there. I noted above that when I uncheck all ID3v1 options in in_mp3.dll, NO ID3v2 tags display. When I check v1 options, the v2 tags appear *but they are not my tags* as reported by ID3Tag-IT and Windows Explorer.

I will post the required information sometime later. Right now, dinner is ready.
Old 27th October 2007, 19:12   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Oops. That'd be a big bad bug. Nice one, lol.

Yup, when unchecking "Read ID3v1" in in_mp3 config, you should still be seeing the info in the Basic Info and ID3v2 tags in the Alt+3 Editor. But in 5.5, it's all blank.

We'll get that fixed for 5.51

Alas, I still can't reproduce any of your other issues though.
Waiting to see a "List of Plugins" and sample mp3 file...
Old 27th October 2007, 19:17   #19
fergusmacdonald

File uploaded - tagged with ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags, only the ID3V1 tag is showing in Winamp, and with the Genre field blank.

Sample file uploaded here:
http://stashbox.org/46686/The%20Verv...20Symphony.mp3

When i uncheck the read ID3V1 in the configure menu for in_mp3.dll, it shows no tag information at all, and doesn't read the ID3V2 tag.
Old 27th October 2007, 19:28   #20
DrO

Quote:
When i uncheck the read ID3V1 in the configure menu for in_mp3.dll, it shows no tag information at all, and doesn't read the ID3V2 tag.
as stated in Egg's post, we've got this fixed for 5.51 now (was using the wrong config option to control both options somehow).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 19:33   #21
fergusmacdonald

That was just a sub-point to the main post to provide additional details but thanks for clarifying.
Old 27th October 2007, 19:50   #22
DrO

there's no valid genre in the id3v1 tag of that file. it reports as being a value of 255 which is outside of the 148 mappings that winamp knows about.

i'm also seeing it not working with reading the id3v2 tag. all i can say is that the internal parser is reporting no valid id3v2 tag and hence why we're seeing nothing on this. this isn't my area of knowledge so will pass it onto someone else in the dev team to look into it

-daz
Old 27th October 2007, 19:53   #23
fergusmacdonald

Great, thanks for your help. The tag was written with TagScanner and again with MP3tag V2.39.
Old 27th October 2007, 20:00   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I suggest that you never use one of TagScanner or MP3Tag again
(though I'd assume that MP3Tag is ok, but I've never heard of TagScanner before).

Or maybe you also need to make sure that the editor is actually writing ID3v2 tags, and not just ID3v1 and APEv2 tags (check in the editor's config). Personally, I'd just choose ID3v1 and ID3v2, since not too many apps/players (software or hardware) support APE tags for MP3.

Re: sample file

There's an ID3v2 tag at the beginning, with loads of NUL data in.
The only populated fields in the ID3v2 tag are:
TYER 1997
TRCK 01
All other ID3v2 fields are empty, but the ID3v2 tag itself is corrupt.

There's an APEv2 tag at the end, just before the ID3v1 tag,
but as I said in my previous post, Winamp / in_mp3 doesn't currently support APE tags (reading or writing), though we plan to implement support for APEv2 tag reading eventually....

The APEv2 tag has the genre as "Bandy"

Bandy is not a valid ID3v1 Genre (as DrO said above).

So everything with that file looks ok in Winamp, as far as I can tell.

Fix the ID3v2 tag with Winamp, and all should be ok.
Old 27th October 2007, 20:04   #25
fergusmacdonald

Any tips what tagger to use, i have over 18K songs that will need to be re-tagged, Winamp's not the best for that.

Thanks for your help.
Old 27th October 2007, 20:50   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I tagged all my 30k+ files with Winamp (using either the Ctrl+E 'Edit Selected Items' masstagger utility in the ML, and/or the Alt+3 File Info Editor), and that was well before we even had the Auto-Tagger feature/option.

I hear that The Godfather is meant to be good...

Anyone else?
Old 27th October 2007, 20:52   #27
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Nope. No other suggestions on my part. I tagged all mine with Winamp, using the same method Egg described above. No corruption in any of my tags using Winamp.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 08:09   #28
spacefish

Alright, here's a file I just ripped using EAC, VBR encoded with LAME (-V 1 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d). Then I tagged it using MusicBrainz Picard version 0.9.0alpha14. Tags settings:

- Clear existing tags before writing new ones.
- Write ID3v2 version 2.3 tags
- UTF-16 text encoding
- Remove ID3 tags from FLAC files
- Remove APEv2 tags from MP3 files

The artist is Django Reinhardt and the track tag should read Welcome (2ème partie) (as reported by ID3Tag-IT and Windows Explorer) but in Winamp it reads Welcome - (2e Partie). In version 5.35, I never had a problem with Winamp reporting incorrect tags. This is a new issue as of 5.5.

Winamp 5.5 run from a standard user account on Windows Vista (x32)
3rd party plugins: Audioscrobbler 2.0.47.0, Dynamic Library v1.01, Skins in Submenu v1.9, Sig File Songnames, Tagger v1.1b, Playlist Separator v2.1.9
Old 28th October 2007, 09:46   #29
fergusmacdonald

TagScanner is the best program i've found for batch processing MP3 tagging. I can't imagine how much time you spent tagging 30K files with Winamp!

Tried The Godfather, Picard, and a bunch of others, and TagScanner definitely seems to be the best.

I think my problems have come from getting files which have corrupted tags, and not removing them first. When i remove the tag with TagScanner, then add a new tag, the problem is solved.

Thanks to everyone who has helped.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:12   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@spacefish

What file? Where?
Old 28th October 2007, 11:01   #31
spacefish

Hmm... okay, didn't notice the attachment limit and got no error message when I posted.

Uploaded to here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/65744687...artie_.7z.html
Old 28th October 2007, 11:10   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You don't like to read previous posts, do you?

Rapidshare sucks.
The download limit has already been reached, therefore I can't get the file.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Quote:
This way...
Quote:
Upload that file to one of stashbox.org, mediafire.com or sendspace.com, and post the link here (don't worry if it says 'url submitted by user' in your post, mods/admin can still see the url).
Old 28th October 2007, 11:25   #33
spacefish

Quote:
You don't like to read previous posts, do you?
No more than you do.

Quote:
Rapidshare sucks.
The download limit has already been reached, therefore I can't get the file.
Odd, considering I just uploaded it. I don't usually use upload services but host on my own server, however I haven't had a chance to set up WinSCP3 on this machine yet so I used the service I was most familiar with. I've never had an issue with RapidShare.

Try this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ee4i7z
Old 28th October 2007, 11:27   #34
DrO

http://stashbox.org/46843/316%5B1%5D..._me_partie_.7z (for anyone else wanting to check it out)

-daz
Old 28th October 2007, 11:51   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The file has two id3v2 tags. One is unicode (utf-16), the other is ansi.

Winamp is seeing the 2nd id3v2 tag, whereas Windows and other apps are seeing the first one.

The TIT2 field in the first ID3v2 tag is "Welcome (2ème partie)"
The TIT2 field in the 2nd ID3v2 tag is "Welcome (2e partie)"

I'll pass this one on to Benski

But yeah, something's bugged out there with one of your tag editors, and maybe with Winamp / in_mp3 too :-D
Old 28th October 2007, 14:00   #36
spacefish

Thanks, DJ Egg. As I said, I've never had this problem with earlier versions of Winamp and I've been using Picard to tag my files for awhile now.
Old 28th October 2007, 14:36   #37
stlucifer

glad someone replied finally ^_^

in my case, no plugins is installed, and the options are as they come with the default installation.
Musicbrainz picard should clear any tag before writing id3v2 tags, so i'm quite sure that there isn't any lyrics3 tag present (also checked with other taggers who support lyrycs3 tags).

i'll check winamp 5.51 asap and i'll let you know. if the problem persist i'll post a sample file.
Old 28th October 2007, 16:20   #38
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, well that's the problem. Whatever tag editor you're using ISN'T clearing the original ID3v2 tag, it's writing a 2nd one.

The ID3v2 specs say that any subsequent/repeated ID3v2 tags should override any previous ones. So although Windows Explorer/WMP and other players/editors might show the first ID3v2 tag, we're actually doing it right by reading the 2nd one.

Quote:
Originally posted by spacefish
Then I tagged it using MusicBrainz Picard version 0.9.0alpha14. Tags settings:

- Clear existing tags before writing new ones.
Nope, it's not clearing out existing tags.
Report the bug to MusicBrainz.

Though I guess you should expect things like this to happen when using alpha software.
Old 28th October 2007, 16:23   #39
mumpel

As speaking of Auto-Tagging and stuff, I recently stumbled about some things in Winamp 5.5:

1. Is there any possibility to save the album art within ID3-Tags? My Winamp places a jpg-file within the directory. What's that "Artwork type: cover" drop down meant for in File Info/Artwork?

2. Why can't I change the album art with "Edit selected items Ctrl-E"?

3. One can't delete a certain ID3-tag field with the "Edit File Info"-feature. Eg. I had a couple of files where the comment field was used to store crap in it. So I tried to delete that with the "Edit file info", checked the Comment field and wrote nothing. But Winamp didn't delete that entries but did nothing. When I write space to that field, it was deleted. But than I can't use "Is not empty" within Smart Views. Tricky...

Any opinions?
mumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 16:33   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1. No, not yet
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=278538#notes
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....id=278538#art2

2. Because you can't :-D

3. Hmmm. Can't reproduce that here.