Old 26th April 2004, 02:53   #41
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
That's not a license, that's a copyright notification. Try again.
read the enire post.

a copyright, which is given at the instant of creation, means that the AUTHOR (sven, not you) has EXCLUSIVE (again, not you) rights to prepare derivative works and to display the work publicly (create and distribute modifications) of the origional work.

This work is protected also becuase it is classified under "computer artwork,."

Licence or not, face it, you lose.

Last edited by dlinkwit27; 26th April 2004 at 03:14.
Old 26th April 2004, 02:55   #42
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I have had quite enough of this bullshit. You are a thief, and no e-mail to Sven Kistner is going to change that.

I have contacted Nullsoft admin, and I advise you to cease your activities and remove the links before they do. If they have to remove the links, you might find yourself banned from these forums.
Old 26th April 2004, 03:13   #43
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
yea for wally!
Old 26th April 2004, 04:24   #44
Adil
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Adil Send a message via AIM to Adil Send a message via Yahoo to Adil
eye_onus, what the logic and the law asks of you is to keep your tweaked versions for yourself (and your friends).
Dont post them online without permission from the original artist. It's as simple as that.

Your email to sven is pretty lame. You're not a judge to tell him when he'll lose the rights over his work.

Get yourself some common sense, if there were more people like you in the skinning communities then it would be a big mess.

Last edited by Adil; 26th April 2004 at 04:47.
Old 26th April 2004, 04:53   #45
sanosuke
Major Dude

Also theres this portion in the winamp installer license Agreement.
Quote:
Basic Product. Subject to Licensee's compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Nullsoft, Inc. ("Nullsoft") grants Licensee a free-of-charge, personal, non-exclusive, and non-transferable license to install and use the Basic Product. Nullsoft also grants Licensee permission to create Skins for the Product by modifying the winamp.modern.wal or other included Skin file, in accordance with the Documentation. Licensee may distribute the Skins it creates, but it must rename the file it distributes and may not use the Winamp name or any Winamp file name in the name of the Skin file it distributes.
This seems to protect the modern skin, does it protect other skins found at winamp.com?

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 26th April 2004, 14:30   #46
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

onus, you cannot say that lack of responce means anything. There is no legal grounds whatsoever for you to even try to base that on. That would be like me e-mailing the webmaster of winamp.com and the head of AOL and saying if he doesn't not deny my request within 48 hours, I take it as I have just bought aol/tw and nullsoft. That is utter and complete bullshit.

You clearly have no legal knowledge of licening, copyrights, contracts, or of anything for that matter, and are reaching for ways to try to make yourself official.

I hope sven presses charges against you for damages.
Old 26th April 2004, 20:33   #47
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Look, the gist of it is that many authors get really pissed when someone posts their work on a website without their permission. That said, don't freak out. Just ask the author for permission first. Most authors will say yes, or take the work you've done and make it an official release. It's just common courtesy.

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
Old 26th April 2004, 20:43   #48
gissepee

yeah but eye_onus has tried to contact this guy several times. It's seems you guys keep missing the point.

What is he supposed to do in that situation? MMD3 is by far the best skin ive seen. You would think Nullsoft would have a vested interest in trying to keep it updated.
Old 26th April 2004, 20:52   #49
gissepee

Quote:
Originally posted by eye_onus
Oh, and for you two with the Playlist problem, I think it may be a hardware problem- I don't have either of the problems you mentioned- I could be wrong, of course, but I would see if it's a Winamp problem- if not, I'll see if I can fix it. BTW, is it the mini-PL in the horizontal winshade (the one that drops down when you push the button with three lines) or the PL window (the one you open in the other two modes through the thinger)? That would help me find the problem faster. (And if it is the PL window, I don't know what to do- I didn't change any of Sven's code in that area, since I didn't have any problems with it and no-one else thought there was anything wrong, either.)

Eye/Onus

Sorry for the delay in replying, I come the forums about once a week, sometimes twice if I'm bored.
the playlist works fine in winshade mode but not in it's expanded mode.

I havent had any issues with any other skins, so i can't imagine it being a hardware issue.
Old 26th April 2004, 21:31   #50
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gissepee
yeah but eye_onus has tried to contact this guy several times. It's seems you guys keep missing the point.

What is he supposed to do in that situation? MMD3 is by far the best skin ive seen. You would think Nullsoft would have a vested interest in trying to keep it updated.
That point is and has been clear. He's supposed to wait and /or keep trying alternate ways to contact him. Only Sven can give out the rights to this. Just being offline/unavailable for awhile doesn't make it suddenly ok to modify and redistribute his work without his permission and even knowledge. In the meantime, he could keep working out the remaining problems with it, and have a kick-ass version ready to go when he finally does get permission (and I'd like to believe he will, if Sven sees that he's a reasonable guy).

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 27th April 2004, 20:48   #51
UNIQHORN911

re playlist problem
it occurs in the main play list window from the thinger
however
i've now downloaded the original mmd3 skin and it does not have the problem so it must be related to your mods
Old 27th April 2004, 20:51   #52
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

It appears we have scared him off. Good riddance. Mods, have you taken the links down yet?
Old 27th April 2004, 21:54   #53
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yes, if I've missed any please feel free to let me know where.

Wanna know the really funny thing, when the early alphas of the gen_ff.dll plug in came out,way before it was even known as WA5, it came packaged with MMD3 to test the plug in with, 'tis funny that it seems to be the only skin that dosn't work correctly now and yet it was the one the engine was tested with, life is queer.
Old 28th April 2004, 00:56   #54
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
In the meantime, he could keep working out the remaining problems with it, and have a kick-ass version ready to go when he finally does get permission (and I'd like to believe he will, if Sven sees that he's a reasonable guy).
ha! i'd say that's a big if, especially after that email he sent Sven. Unfortunate, really...

o well, this saga of the modern skins forum seems to be over.
Old 28th April 2004, 01:13   #55
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Yes, if I've missed any please feel free to let me know where.

Wanna know the really funny thing, when the early alphas of the gen_ff.dll plug in came out,way before it was even known as WA5, it came packaged with MMD3 to test the plug in with, 'tis funny that it seems to be the only skin that dosn't work correctly now and yet it was the one the engine was tested with, life is queer.
It's like raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain! On your wedding day!
A free riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide! When your already late.

Good adviiiiiiiiiice! That you just didn't take!
and who would of thought, it figure?

Old 28th April 2004, 05:11   #56
eye_onus

MMD3-for-5.03 (Now with Copyright Permission)

RE: Playlist: I'll give it a look.
RE: Copyright: See the thread 'MMD3-for-5.03 (Now with Copyright Permission)'

Eye/Onus

To download MMD3-for-5.03 go here:
http://www.geocities.com/eye_onus/loadpage.html

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko klama le bende pe denpa bu

Last edited by eye_onus; 28th April 2004 at 05:51.
Old 28th April 2004, 08:40   #57
Adil
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Adil Send a message via AIM to Adil Send a message via Yahoo to Adil
Re: MMD3-for-5.03 (Now with Copyright Permission)

Quote:
Originally posted by eye_onus
RE: Playlist: I'll give it a look.
RE: Copyright: See the thread 'MMD3-for-5.03 (Now with Copyright Permission)'

Eye/Onus

To download MMD3-for-5.03 go here:
http://www.geocities.com/eye_onus/#edited by me#
Adding that stupid txt file doesnt make your public distribution of someone else's work more legal.

Instead of some licencing bs you dont even understand, you should have written that your mods are not approved by the original author and that you're just doing this to help, not to rip.

That's all people need to know.
Old 28th April 2004, 13:07   #58
UNIQHORN911

mods/mr Jones see new links above and one on your scrubbed thread
Old 28th April 2004, 13:15   #59
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Ok, I shall ask this once and once only.

Does this guy have permission to modify and distribute this skin?, his other thread would seem to indicate that permission was indeed granted from metrix to do so.

The only answer required is yes or no.

However, I will point out two pertinent facts here, I'm not sure you can go adding the gnu public license to somethign that isn't yours to begin with.

Secondly, the skin has problems in Winamp 5.04
Old 28th April 2004, 13:56   #60
UNIQHORN911

unless nullsoft recieves something personally from sven i reckeckon the answer must be NO, whatever eye_onus CLAIMS to have recieved from someone CLAIMING to be associated with the original author. is someone allowed to waive copyright on someone elses behalf now, if so I waive all rights to the windows trademark on behalf of microsoft ... any takers
Old 28th April 2004, 21:29   #61
eye_onus

Sven's MMD3 skin copyrights (the last word from me on this subject)

I'm through listening to idiots on this matter. This is the last thing you will hear from me regarding this subject.

================================

Adil: Adding that stupid txt file doesnt make your public distribution of someone else's work more legal.

Instead of some licencing bs you dont even understand, you should have written that your mods are not approved by the original author and that you're just doing this to help, not to rip.

That's all people need to know.
-------------------------------
Adding that 'stupid txt file' makes it completely legal, since that 'stupid txt file' specifically states that I have permission to modify and distribute Sven's MMD3 skin.

Mr Jones: Ok, I shall ask this once and once only.

Does this guy have permission to modify and distribute this skin?, his other thread would seem to indicate that permission was indeed granted from metrix to do so.

The only answer required is yes or no.

However, I will point out two pertinent facts here, I'm not sure you can go adding the gnu public license to somethign that isn't yours to begin with.

Secondly, the skin has problems in Winamp 5.04
----------------------------------
The answer is yes. E-mail Sven yourself if you need proof- or you can write them at:
Metrix Internet Design GmbH
Augartenstr. 1
76137 Karlsruhe
Or you can call them at:
Tel: +49 (0) 721 59722-0

I am allowed to add the GPL because it only applies to my work, MMD3 is not under the GPL, MMD3-for-5.03 is. If Sven wants his work under the GPL, he has to do so himself- I'm ensuring that no one has to go through the same trouble I did if someone decides to edit my work- since the GPL grants said hypothetical person the right to without having to ask me.

I didn't even know there was a 5.04, that may be the reason those two were having problems w/ the playlist- thanks.

UNIQHORN911: ...is someone allowed to waive copyright on someone elses behalf now....
----------------------------------
From the letter:
Anyway Sven doesn’t want the discussion to escalate and as has already been witnessed by many others in the forum he actually is not fussy with his Winamp projects. So hereby you receive the permission to post your changed version of MMD3 on your private site and announce it in the forum.

Yes, but only if the copyright holder knows of and agrees with such permission being given.

Bizzeh: ...that is what you are doing, you releasing MMD3 (which i think is overrated anyway) under your name as "all new for winamp5".
--------------------------------
To quote myself from an earlier post on this same thread:
Quote:
I have NEVER suggested, implied, or considered that MMD3 belonged to anyone other than Sven Kistner, nor will I ever. I claim credit for the minor EDITING work I have done to it to fix W5 incompatibilities, and that is ALL.

Loveless: Back when this began to bother you, you could easily have tried to contact sven and done nothing for a month while you waited on a reply.
--------------------
From the letter:
I forwarded your first mail from 17th of April

"More I'd like to say, but I doubt you'll read this far. Get over yourself and grow the fuck up."

Go ahead and say whatever you want. I'm all ears.

Mr Jones: I will guarantee that it won't be published here unless the original author updates the original with it

--------------------------------
That much was obvious from the start.

"And as this is now turning into a flame festival, and it's technically a crosspost with the original thread, this one is terminated."

I created the thread in hopes of stopping the flame war that has been carrying on in this thread from affecting my work on Sven's skin. When I ask the forum people what they'd like on MMD3, I want to come back and read posts about what people want me to add to MMD3, not posts calling me an idiot, asshole, whatever. That's what this thread is for.

I will be making periodic updates on what I've done to fix MMD3-for-5.03, including fixing what's wrong with it in 5.04 and adding the features I espoused earlier. The first thing is to find out how to fix the PL problems I was told about, then I'll see about adding features.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 28th April 2004, 22:49   #62
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
how do you have access to 5.04?
Old 28th April 2004, 23:57   #63
eye_onus

I don't. Unfortunetly, Mr Jones told me that the skin has problems on a version that is not able to be accessed yet.
Old 28th April 2004, 23:58   #64
eye_onus

As far as the PL-bug goes- as long as you only use one or the other of the Playlists- only the mini-PL or only the window-PL, the bug doesn't appear. Also, the bug doesn't affect the window-PL in shade mode.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 29th April 2004, 00:11   #65
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

eye_onus: how about you do this, so everyone gets the best of both worlds, release a patch for mmd3? since then, your not distributing someone elses work as your own. and you can just update your patch if and when is needed. only beta testers have access to 5.04 right now. so you will have to wait till its released to fix whatever it is your fixing.

ps. why bother? mmd3 is a bloated over rated unusable skin.. most of the stuff in it had already been done before. it was just all in 1 skin.. its a square with bevels and glass.. and colour themes.. how does this make it "the best skin ever made for winamp".. why does everyone keep compairing other skins to it.. i wish everyone would just let it fucking drop
Old 29th April 2004, 02:59   #66
WHEREamI
Major Dude

eye_onus: Sven gave you license ONLY to modify and distribute your modified version... he DID NOT give you license or right to grant any sort of license to others
THEREFORE: you do not have right to license MMD3 to others under the GPL, nor any other license. You may only modify and distribute. remove the GPL, add Sven's copyright and your copyright on your modifications, any you're fine. If you want to GPL your modifications, you may distribute only a PATCH that is your original work, ie, not the complete skin, under the GPL.
Old 29th April 2004, 10:48   #67
JeBu

hmm so does anyone else have fat font with shuffle, repeat and cfade? really that old MMD3 looked a bit ebtter
Old 29th April 2004, 11:20   #68
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
eye_onus: Sven gave you license ONLY to modify and distribute your modified version... he DID NOT give you license or right to grant any sort of license to others
THEREFORE: you do not have right to license MMD3 to others under the GPL, nor any other license. You may only modify and distribute. remove the GPL, add Sven's copyright and your copyright on your modifications, any you're fine. If you want to GPL your modifications, you may distribute only a PATCH that is your original work, ie, not the complete skin, under the GPL.
Quoted for extra emphasis.

I was away for a while.
Old 29th April 2004, 14:30   #69
gissepee

In regards to the suggestion that the playlist bug may be due to running 5.04, i have no access to it as i am pretty sure it has not been released yet. Nice try.

Also, i have installed this skin on several computers at my workplace as well as my home PC and i have yet to get it to work properly. All have encountered the same playlist bug.

It seems like all this debate is a waste as we are talking about a very buggy skin. Then again this is why it is a sensitive subject. While the intentions were good, it could harm the reputation of the original authors work to circulate an inferior copy.
Old 29th April 2004, 15:12   #70
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
Quoted for extra emphasis.
Also quoted for ....

/shakes fist in air
DAMN YOU NON-NESTED QUOTES!

Old 30th April 2004, 21:20   #71
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
you do not have right to license MMD3 to others under the GPL, nor any other license. You may only modify and distribute.
Damn right.
Old 30th April 2004, 22:14   #72
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
Quote:
Originally posted by NyNe
no offense meant to either wally or krynis, but skins, and pretty much all of winamp (given the SDKs) are all open source. so eye_onus may open and edit them as he pleases.

i dont believe he had any intent to submit the skin to winamp.com, nor do i believe he had any intent to steal the skin and take credit for it. as fas as i am concerned, if Sven came back and told eye_onus to stop, i am sure he would, without question.

but its not your skin to tell him to stop

and weather or not you like, or approve of the skin wasnt taken into consideration because we werent aiming to please you in doing this. it seems like there are other users on the forum who actually appreciate and like the updates made to the skin

as for eye_onus updating skins once or twice and then dropping them, i dont think that will be the case with this skin. the more winamp updates the modern skin engine the more eye_onus will find things to do with this skin, and the more updates there will be

at the very least if you decide to remove his posts or mine from the forum just because he is editing a skin, we can still put links to the download page (and the site when i make it) in our signatures, and around the forums, in the very least just to say we are displaying a website to the forum (well... when posted in the appropriate place anyways)

so honestly i dont think that you're being very mature about this, even though i understand your idea to protect other peoples hard work, we arent STEALING it, Sven will still be given credit, and as soon as we can come in contact with him we will immidiately ask where he stands with us updating his skin, and if he would like to use the update we made for his own future updates or if he would like to use the ideas we used to create his own update of a similar nature.

the main idea is, you complaining about eye_onus editing a skin and posting here about it is just childish, and anyone who agrees with you is also childish. eye_onus just wanted to make the skin capable of doing all the cool new things WA5 allows skins to do since the last WA3 update.

sorry to bore you
going to school now
-eric
Do me a favor and kindly point out whare i said i didint want this to happin i just want it to happin legally when i made my last post i didint even think bad of eye_onus however my opinion may have changed does not reflect my opion of him updating this skin if he can do so legally then i apploud him but the mannor in which he has handled this is far more childish then anything you state of those of us who spoke out against it and before you call people childish i beg you learn some vag idea what your talking about as it seems your have not a clue this is not a flame but facts i personally dont like MMD3 there are far better skins now but others do like it so if its updated legally Good for them but it doesint change the fact that he never should have continued to distribute through this site oh and you see that little copy write on the VERY bottom of the site that states that this site belongs to Nullsoft(god bless) and eye_onus agreed to set terms when he signed up for this forum and going against what a mod says and posting links to said skin on this forum goes against those rules and NullSoft staff are perfectly within there right to kick his ass right off this retro Llamma loving community orgy argue that.

if you indeed do get the ok to actually publish your update good for you and the community eye_onus.
Old 1st May 2004, 21:11   #73
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
just for refrence eye_onus and i wouldnt bother arguing with you moderating people if we hadnt looked up the legalities on the situation - your efforts to stop the project arent really getting anyone any more than a good laugh

unless you feel like getting in contact with Sven and having him contact us directly (not through you or this forum since its easy to fabricate things on your own forum) then you have no legal right to do anything against us

you do have the right to ask us not to post things on your forum, and to remove what we post, its your forum, but we have the right not to listen basically under the 'freedom of speech' deal
Old 1st May 2004, 21:25   #74
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
just for refrence eye_onus and i wouldnt bother arguing with you moderating people if we hadnt looked up the legalities on the situation - your efforts to stop the project arent really getting anyone any more than a good laugh
more like you wouldn't be arguing if you HAD looked at the legalities, or maybe if you actually understood them. read the entire GPL and the FAQs with it on gnu.org (and yes, i have read it). and then read some copyright caselaw.

and, i, for one, am not laughing.
Old 1st May 2004, 21:46   #75
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
Quote:
is a deviant since Sep 23, 2001, 11:53 PM
last visited 38w 3d 9h 40s ago
seeing this information only leads me to believe that Sven could possibly be dead... for real... he hasnt gone to deviant art in 38 weeks, he doesnt reply to e-mails or any form of communication we throw his way

so my question is - how would we get permission from a dead person? and if we cant then how would we go about legally modifying and distributing the skin

since hes dead then no one really holds the legal rights to the skin... so who would be sueing us?

i am however certain that nullsoft can not take legal action against us considering nullsoft doesnt own anything we're modifying

if they REALLY wanna stop us they will have to make winamp (as a program) not accept the skin as a usable skin

i highly doubt any such actions will be taken

as for the idea of making a 'patch' you have to honestly think - how many users would really know how to install a patch to a skin? and if they did why wouldnt they modify the skin themselves? the point of this project is to provide the skin to the users without hassle

if you REALLY wanna bitch im sure eye/onus could get the NSIS and force it to find the mmd3 skin file and edit the contents of it just for you - if you think that would be a little more pleasing?
Old 1st May 2004, 21:55   #76
Loveless

I'm gonna quote some stuff, and then tell you the truth. I'm quoting this stuff because it applies to the forums as well as to the skin database itself. Trust me.

quoted from this.

Quote:
quote 1
Who says AOL can keep me from publishing my skin? What happend to freedom of speech?

I say so. Well, not really, but there are two main reasons.

1) Winamp.com is the property of Nullsoft and consequently AOL. Therefore, Winamp.com is technically private property, where the owner can do whatever they want. That means if they don't want your skin, they don't have to take it. They simply do out of the kindness of their hearts.
2) They don't want to get sued. You don't want to get sued. A great many Winamp skins incorporate the property of other people (team logos, corporate logos, copyrighted images, or even that cool GUI you saw over at GUIstuff). By using many of these images, you are technically violating federal and international copyright law. Now, while many of the authors/owners of these properties don't give a whit what you do on your piddly little Winamp skin, some of them do. Winamp.com utilises a fairly lenient policy on this stuff, in that they assume that whatever images you use, you have the right to use, and remove skins only if the author complains. If the owner does complain, the skin is removed, and if the author so wishes no further skins containing his property are supposed to be published. Everybody's happy, and your ass doesn't go into hock.
Quote:
quote 2
But you have lots of copyrighted images on the site, why don't you remove those?

Have you looked at the internet lately?, the whole thing is full of copyright infringements, here at Nullsoft we operate a fairly lenient policy, we can't be expected to police the copyright world. We publish, and if there are complaints, we remove, as we did with the sports skins.
Quote:
quote 3
That promised elaboration on skin rips.

100% straight rips - removed with no qualms.

The second kind of rip is the rip in which someone has modified some tiny aspect of an existing skin (Text colour, background colour, etc.) and submitted it. These changes are fine, and likely look nice, but we do not accept these skins either. They're not your work, and even if you give the author credit, it's not quite fair to him/her. Closely related are those rips where someone has found a skin (or skins) they liked, and used it as a base for their own project. (Matra II is a good example of this if you remember it - it used 3 different skins by other authors, and melded them together.) These are usually not published either.

Regardless of how clear-cut a rip is, keep this in mind:

Applying a colour filter is not tangibly improving it. Skinning additional components or fixing co-ordinate bugs would be, and even in bug fix cases, you still may not get published.
Now, here's the deal. If you had

1) contacted Sven
2) waited until you got the email Onus posted
3) then started working on the skin
4) then posted the fixed skin, along with the email from Sven and a promise that you weren't going to publish the skin, you'd have done things about as perfectly as you could've. Likely you would have been warned about the dangers of messing with another person's skin, but you probably would've been left alone and allowed to post a link here. You probably would not have been allowed to publish it a wa.com. (see quotes 2 and 3 above.)

Even if you had started out as you did, but then acknowledged your willingness to wait and get Sven's permission, you'd have probably been allowed to move foward. But you didn't. Your attitude of superiority and indignation prevailed, and you even had the gall to take that tack with the skin's original author. You're just updating a skin, and by all accounts, you're doing it badly. You seem to have introduced as many bugs as you intended to fix. Now the situation has devolved to the state it has, and under the stipulations quoted above, the mods have pretty much free license to deal with you as they wish.

No you can't go about posting links and whatnot at forums.winamp.com under some pretense of free speech, because speech here is not free. It is typically unregulated, but you by no means have the right to say whatever you want because this site and its forums belong to someone who has delegated upon others (the mods) the responsibility of regulating what goes on here.

In short, you were pompous, arrogant and unapologetic, and in return you've pretty much earned a flamebath and the animosity of the moderators involved.

Furthermore, I've no idea where you've gotten some of your ideas about copyright and skinning, but Winamp neither assumes nor infers any rights of the skin. Each skin operates solely upon whatever copyright notice it contains in itself. What Winamp does have is a set of skin copyright policies irrespective of the skin's individual policy. Most of these, such as refusing rips, modifications or duplicates are simple streamlining measures, to make the reviewers lives easier. Thus, even if a skinner specifically states that anyone may use his skin in whatever fashion they wish, it is unlikely that that policy will be upheld by the skin reviewers.

In short (again) you're fighting a useless, rehashed, losing battle. There is absolutely no advantage to the moderators in allowing your "project" to progress publicly here, and there is no advantage to you to continue arguing in the same fashion that you have been so far. The only possible way you have to improve your situation here is to somehow prove your concept has some unique merit - something I'm convinced you are unable to do, ever were such merit present.

WOT NO FANNY PACKS? (. .)
----------------------w-O-w-----------
Old 1st May 2004, 22:00   #77
Loveless

Quote:
seeing this information only leads me to believe that Sven could possibly be dead... for real... he hasnt gone to deviant art in 38 weeks, he doesnt reply to e-mails or any form of communication we throw his way
Actually, it probably just means he's finally hit it a little bit big, and has bigger, paying, fish to fry. The point is that what you think really doesn't have an effect upon the situation. It's what you're required to do that does. And once again, some personality that differed from the average 15-year-old would've helped.

WOT NO FANNY PACKS? (. .)
----------------------w-O-w-----------
Old 2nd May 2004, 18:07   #78
NyNe

now if i were 15 i might understand where you're coming from - but im older, so quit your bitching about me being imature - im entitled to think that i want and i didnt say it was going to effect the current situation

btw another thing i notice, only on deviantart does Sven's name appear saying he created the skin - on his very own site the skin isnt there... im not saying he didnt make it, but why had he never put it anywhere other than deviantart and the winamp site (cuz he had to put his name in)

some of the things sven does confuse me
Old 2nd May 2004, 18:19   #79
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Just a reminder, the steps WHEREamI posted and I quoted are still required to bring this skin into full compliance with copyright law and, more important to this discussion, winamp.com policy. Yes, you are correct when you state that the Nullsoft staff and winamp.com volunteers have absolutely no control outside of the winamp.com domain. But that isn't the issue, we've allowed this thread and your account to exist because we believed that, eventually, the copyright issues with the skin would be totally resolved and everybody could go back to doing what it is they normally do. Is it a problem to make those changes?

I was away for a while.
Old 3rd May 2004, 00:25   #80
VAG
Major Dude

Too much talk for a skin made in 2002 and it's "father" don't really cares about it.
ModernSkin Sven made is 10x better than MMD3 IMHO.

I wonder sometimes, where all the inspiration of those boards went?
Why people don't make their own designs and try to be improoved there WITH THEIR IDEAS, but they try to improove a skin that is already 2 years old?

Come on everybody grow up and look forward to the future and go out to be inspired or read a book.

MMD3 has 12.000.000 people (only from WA site) that have it, and this is more than the population of Greece to my eyes, that says ALOT!!!
You can't imroove the almost "perfect skin" for year 2002, maybe better improove Winamp itself to be compatible with this skin than the skin with the player.

Think about it.

I'll leave you THINK now, and then go make something YOURS and don't try to earn "popularity" doing other's people jobs.

That's all i had to say watching this thread growing day by day.....

LaterZzz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins