Old 7th June 2004, 09:26   #1
Bahram A.

5.03 main problems

Winamp has millions of unnecessary options, settings and add-ons (many of them relate to appearance and fun) but suffers from some obvious troubles, For example:

1- The player has not enough performance for playing mpeg-1 on old machines (i.e. pentium class); compare it with Xing Mpeg Player.

-note: Don't ask me meaningless questions about my system properties: I have a pentium MMX 233MHz and 64MB RAM; Xing and Media Player work well even with worse machines, therefore, winamp's core decoder is not optimized.

2- It can not play an mpeg video when the file has a .dat extension! Who wants Winamp's 100 plugins when it can not play VCD tracks?!

3- Some AVI clips can be played on Media-Player but not in Winamp!

version: 5.03 full
skin: classic

------------------------------------------
A short message toward: DJ Egg (moderator)

Don't close my thread when you have no reply!
I didn't sent a blank text attachment, It was due to webmaster bugs;
Here is another copy of that attachment, It is in DOS-text format (The former was in UNIX-text format).
I am speaking about the topic "mmedia-rating" that has been closed hastily.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mmedia-rating.txt (2.5 KB, 328 views)
Bahram A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 12:30   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

/moved from Bug Reports to Bitchlist, ummm... Winamp Discussion

Please don't make demands.

One more lame bug report from you
and I'll be editing your access masks.

1) Your old system is not supported.
Why should anyone optimize software for 7 year-old outdated systems anyway?

2) Add DAT to the DirectShow decoder config extension list
or use Powerplayer2 plugin, which supports VOB, DAT, svcd, dvd.

3) I'm yet to find an AVI that can't be played in Winamp.
Provide a link to a sample file.

And yes, you did send a blank txt file.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 12:43   #3
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Re: 5.03 main problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahram A.
Winamp has millions of unnecessary options, settings and add-ons (many of them relate to appearance and fun) but suffers from some obvious troubles, For example:

1- The player has not enough performance for playing mpeg-1 on old machines (i.e. pentium class); compare it with Xing Mpeg Player.

-note: Don't ask me meaningless questions about my system properties: I have a pentium MMX 233MHz and 64MB RAM; Xing and Media Player work well even with worse machines, therefore, winamp's core decoder is not optimized.

2- It can not play an mpeg video when the file has a .dat extension! Who wants Winamp's 100 plugins when it can not play VCD tracks?!

3- Some AVI clips can be played on Media-Player but not in Winamp!

version: 5.03 full
skin: classic

A short message toward: DJ Egg (moderator)

Don't close my thread when you have no reply!
I didn't sent a blank text attachment, It was due to webmaster bugs;
Here is another copy of that attachment, It is in DOS-text format (The former was in UNIX-text format).
I am speaking about the topic "mmedia-rating" that has been closed hastily.
- Reply to 1/2/3 : face it, your machine is severely outdated. So only use what works on it. Plus if Xing or MediaPlayer work so fine for you, why would you insist on wanting to use winamp since it's so bloated and unoptimized.

- Reply to the "note" in question 1 : We will ask whatever useless questions we want. We ask that of most users and they don't make a fuss about it as it often allows us to provide better tech support.

- Reply to the "Note to DJEgg" : don't tell DJEgg or any other mod for that matter what to reply/close/do. You only have a few posts, meaning you obviously don't know how things work, we do. Stop bossing us around and play fair, otherwise, you'll end up banned.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 19:10   #4
amano
Major Dude

AFAIK Winamp has no separate built in video decoder. It uses DirectShow codecs that are installed on your system (or not, check if and which codecs are installed). in_dshow is just an interface to access these codecs!!!

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 19:22   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by amano
AFAIK Winamp has no separate built in video decoder. It uses DirectShow codecs that are installed on your system (or not, check if and which codecs are installed). in_dshow is just an interface to access these codecs!!!
Standing ovation.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:12   #6
Bahram A.

I sent some notes in order to helping the program becoming better; Don't wage a war!

I imagine the forum has a friendly space, am I wrong?

If I was a moderator, I would ask a member to give more explanations or send his attachment again instead of closing his thread immediately.

Isn't here a place for bring up and discussing problems? If someone prove that I am wrong in a given case, I never deny to accept.

Threaten to ban me? do! You are a great hero! because you was unable to tolerate other members but was able to kill them!

Now, I continue to defending my comments:

1- I use Winamp because it skips bad contents of a movie very well. Please look at the attached text file: I showed the faults and virtues of some players there.

2- Do you prefer the player to play automatically dat files or by an advanced user manipolation?!

3- I converted an Mpeg to AVI by Adobe Premiere 6.0; That was the clip which could be played in media player but not in Winamp; Can I send an AVI clip which has about 10MB per second data via my modem?

4- Who says that my computer is outdated? If a software is not optimized well, there may be other ones better; The main point is to find its developers to ask for an improvement before leave it forever.

5- If one is old in Winamp, other may be too older in Multi-Media! (though, I am not).

Last edited by Bahram A.; 7th June 2004 at 21:36.
Old 7th June 2004, 21:29   #7
mark e
Major Dude

Nice welcoming by Egg
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:39   #8
WHEREamI
Major Dude

2- yes. Joe Average User doesn't play .dat files.

3- 10MB per second... that's probably the problem. sounds like RAW avi, which just about any player has a hard time rendering due to the shear memory bandwidth required.

Remember, Winamp isn't really a video player (well, it is, but not originally, and it wasn't exactly designed for it). in_dshow is pretty much a hack to allow it.

4- EVERYBODY says your computer is outdated.. except for you, aparently.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:46   #9
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i can get winamp 5 to work on a 133mhz system just fine. it doesn't play video or anything. i just have winamp for the audio on that. i also have winamp 5 on my 400mhz dell. it works fine with video and audio. i had to find a better codec for avi files so it would play more smoothly in winamp.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:50   #10
amano
Major Dude

1) - Concerning the performance: There is no way for Winamp to improve it. Winamp uses codecs that are installed on your systems. These will cause the high cpu usage. Winamp won't add much to that (at least in classic skins mode).

2) .dat is no common extension for media files IMHO. There is no urgent need to add it to the in_dshow.dll default. But since you can do that manually, everything seems all right to me, isn't it?

3)Maybe you could do the same procedure to a small .mpg file.

4)Well, you don't fit into the minimum requirements, take it as a fact. Winamp isn't designed to be used with your current setup (although performing very well from my personal experience). The performance problem is not a Winamp bug, but a design problem, as Winamp relies on the usage of dshow codes, as I stated already above.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 22:53   #11
toejam07

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahram A.:
Threaten to ban me? do! You are a great hero! because you was unable to tolerate other members but was able to kill them!
DJ Egg has gone on a killing spree?!?

I know what you meant; I was only kidding. Seriously, DJ Egg is a revered member of these forums (there's probably even a church devoted to him out there somewhere ) not because he "kills" those he is "unable to tolerate," but because he has helped many of the people who have posted here. I'm not trying to suck up; I'm just telling you the facts: If DJ Egg can't help you solve your problem, then I doubt anybody can. He killed your thread for obvious reasons, which don't need reiteration since he posted them himself here.

Also, if you're having performance issues (which seems to be your major complaint), you might want to check out Like the Wind: Tips and Tweaks for Your Winamp 5 from the always excellent Winamp Unlimited.

The Winamp Forums are a friendly place if, just like anywhere else in life, you make them so.
Old 7th June 2004, 23:16   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahram A.
4- Who says that my computer is outdated? If a software is not optimized well, there may be other ones better; The main point is to find its developers to ask for an improvement before leave it forever.
i've got a P2 266 @ 310 and mine is outdated. i'm open about this fact. to get the speed i only use classic (so it's the same as 2.x) and i don't have any issues other than would be expected from a system that can't quite play dvds smoothly.

as amano pointed out (and i'm sure it was mentioned in a thread elsewhere) the video support is determined by the installed system codecs so if the codecs you have are cpu intensive then so will be winamp. that's just how it is and the code is optimised since it's been in winamp for around 2 years (if i remember right) and knowing the guys who code winamp they would not create something like that which is not optimised.

the only comment on the thread lockage i'll make is that if it was locked then it was for a valid reason and i go by that

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 23:58   #13
shins

as much as I love winamp, you're right bahram, it isn't optimized for video. You're better off going with seperate programs. winamp for audio, bsplayer for video, etc. All in one programs tend to be lackluster.
shins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 02:13   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Don't you start

@Bahram A.

Yes, these forums are friendly.
But, if you post a lame report in the Bugs forum, it gets whacked.
That's the way it's always been, and it isn't going to change.
This fact is clearly specified in the sticky threads.

Re: DAT files
Many many programs use the DAT extension as data or database files.
Winamp itself uses DAT files to store the library database.
We do not think it a good idea to support DAT video by default, especially seeing that probably only 1% of DAT files are actually videos.
If you want DAT video playback support, you now know how.

And again, I'm sorry, but hardly any developers are optimizing multimedia software for old p-class systems anymore, and I don't see why they should.

That is why we ask for system specs, because if you are underspec'ed and are experiencing performance issues, then alas, there is not much we can do about it :/

See if the "Like the Wind" tips posted by toejam07 are of any help.

btw, I didn't say I was going to ban you, I said I would "edit your access masks" so you won't be able to post in the Bug Reports forum any more.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 06:39   #15
UltraZelda64

A Pentium 233 MMX with 64MB RAM? My old, slow, outdated paperweight had similar specs (only it was a PII MMX with 64 megs). Face it: Anything before a PIII is clearly outdated, and you need to watch out what programs you run on those. As computers are getting more powerful, the demands on processing power and memory in programs increases. Therefore, you need to either update your system (ie. junk it and replace) or settle with what you have and watch out what programs you run (and how many).
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 06:58   #16
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraZelda64
you need to either update your system (ie. junk it and replace) or settle with what you have and watch out what programs you run (and how many).
very true (i'm on the later since the first option isn't possible at the moment )

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 10:23   #17
Bahram A.

Thanks to all...

-Thanks to all...

-I require all the friends don't use many interjections or slang words: My language isn't English, I don't live among English-speaking people and I can not understand expressions beyond my oxford pocket dictionary! I try to use correct words and sentences, so hope you answer me as formal as possible, Thanks.

-WHEREamI (Major Dude):

Thank you for your information.

-deeder7001 (Major Dude):

Yes, In fact, Winamp is an excellent player for mp3; Its CPU usage is on the lowest value when playing mp3. Thanks.

-amano (Major Dude):

1) If you say that:
"Winamp uses codecs that are installed on your systems",
Then I guess that the difference of performance between Winamp and MediaPlayer is why that Winamp skips bad media pretty well but MediaPlayer can't (Winamp makes more process on data).

2)In all VCDs, Mpeg tracks has a .dat extention; Who is blameworthy?

3) 0.1 second takes 1MB, 10 times greater than one allowed in winamp forum!

4) If you are sure, I am sorry!

-toejam07 (Junior Member):

That wasn't "DJ Egg", but was "Twilightseer" (Moderator) who said:
"...otherwise, you'll end up banned"
(see his/her reply).

Can you please tell more about your sponsored links? What can I find there?

-DrO (Moderator):

Thank you for your reply.

-shins (Member):

Can you please speak more about "bsplayer" and "lackluster"? Thanks.

-DJ Egg (Moderator):

Thank you for your reply; In addition, I can tell you similar things I already written to "amano" and "toejam07".

-UltraZelda64 (Senior Member):

Even if your system is fast (PIII or above), minimum load on CPU when playing multi-media is preferred.

-DrO (Moderator):

Thank you for your reply; In addition, I can tell you similar things I already written to "amano".
Old 8th June 2004, 20:15   #18
toejam07

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahram A.:
That wasn't "DJ Egg", but was "Twilightseer" (Moderator) who said:
"...otherwise, you'll end up banned"
(see his/her reply).
Oh, well then I apologize for my mistake. He did have a point though...

Now to answer your question. First of all, my links are not in any way sponsored. I have no afilliation with either of the links that I posted other than being an frequent reader of Winamp Unlimited.

Like the Wind is a listing of various simple adjustments you can make with Winamp to help it run faster, especially on older systems such as yours.

Winamp Unlimited is the website that hosts the Like the Wind page. It is maintained by frequent Winamp news writer Eric Caoili, known as inthegray here in the forums. Updated every day or two, it provides news of things happening here in the forums, such as the development of new skins and plug-ins, as well as other Winamp-related news. It is rather useful if you do not want to visit and read the forums yourself, but still want to learn about the latest developments here.

For helping you to make Winamp run faster on your computer, only go to Like the Wind. Winamp Unlimited is not really useful to you at this time. I was merely mentioning where I got the Like the Wind page from. If you ever decide to become more involved with the Winamp community, however, I highly recommend Winamp Unlimited for keeping up with Winamp news.

And with all of this shameless endorsement, I am not surprised you thought those links were sponsored...

I hope all of this was clear enough for you. I realize you are not a native speaker of English, so I tried to keep this post as slang-free as possible. If you need further clarification, feel free to Private Message me here on the forums. (Simply click the "pm" button beneath my post.) I, however, only know English, so I cannot help you in your native language. If you have any other problems in the future and would rather write about them in your native language, you can do so in the International Connection, but that part of the Winamp Forums is less visited and it may take longer for your question to be answered there.
Old 9th June 2004, 08:03   #19
Bahram A.

Dear toejam07:

I apologize too; I must wrote "your introduced links".

I am going to visit that site, Thanks.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion