Old 14th September 2008, 03:36   #121
Jkey
Forum King

I knew,
and i also know that with future changes things are
only going to get worst before they get better.

But They WILL get better

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 05:22   #122
lowrider007

Quote:
Originally posted by Jkey
But They WILL get better
god I hope your right, SHOUTcast is an integral part of my life and has been for years, the ability to load up what I consider to be one of the best mp3 software players (wimamp) on the market and have built into that player the the ability to search through thousands of high quality radio stations instantly with ease and simplicity is a luxury that I don't want to lose.

Please guys don't mess this up, I realise the people pulling the strings want a fresh now look but try your best to integrate some of the old functionality into it, or at least keep open the exploit that ujay posted so that the hardcore fans can keep using the old style format of shoutcast from within winamp, that way you have the best of both worlds.

cheers.
lowrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 16:53   #123
polter

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Download and unzip the files (attached) - scr.html and sctv.html

Put them somewhere on your drive, ... /Winamp/Shoutcast/ would be good.

Close Winamp.
Open the ml_online.ini file in NotePad and edit the relevent ElementURLn= lines to point to the local sources.

e.g. ElementURLn=file:///C:/Program%20Files/Winamp/Shoutcast/scr.html

Save and re-open winamp.

UJ
Just registered to say THANK YOU, ujay!

As for the new "design"... I have to agree with the majority of the users posting here. I've been using Winamp since about version 1.90, and I gotta say the new SHOUTcast Radio visual appearance in Winamp (I don't care about the website, never did) was one of the worst "new features" ever introduced, with possible exception of some of those in now (in)famous Winamp 3. The new "design" (or, rather, the apparent lack of it) is characterized by complete and utter lack of any semblance of functionality, bringing back the memories of poorly designed websites made in MS Frontpage once so prevalent in certain parts of the Internet -- flashy, annoying and just plain useless. Fixed resolution and font sizes, no bitrates in the listing, 10 stations limit are just plain ridiculous in the age of wide screens and fast bandwidth. This is a major step back, limiting the functionality and bringing no benefits. Oh, and it just looks ugly.

/*
This is first time I've registered on a free software forum and complained -- I know the product comes for "free" (modulo ads), so far it's been pretty good and as a dev myself perhaps I should show some sympathy for the guys working on it. Well -- guess I would if it was apparent any real "work" was indeed involved -- what I've seen so far rather seems like a creative destruction, but with less creativity and more destruction. I mean, usability testing has been around for a while now... And if the idea was to use this "beta" (if it's beta, why impose it as the default/only UI in non-beta Winamp?) roll-out as one, why react to the user feedback as if it was unwanted intrusion from "those always-complaining buggers too blind to see the perfectness in our fancy product" without even providing a workaround (took another user to do just that)?
*/

UPDATE: Noticed http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=297383 posted at about the same time as my reply -- well, hopefully we'll see it fixed soon -- thanks for reaction, SC_faisal!

Please, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Last edited by polter; 14th September 2008 at 17:11.
polter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 17:15   #124
xhilaration

Send a message via Skype™ to xhilaration
that is SWEET LOOKING. Easy to navigate around NOW, this layout makes the old one look well SAD lol

AWSOME WORK ! I LOVE ITTTTTTTT [insert grouphug here]

xhilaration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 22:29   #125
rascal000

changes to shoutcast

The changes are not welcomed by me at all. Others have posted that before we had been able to search and then have all the stations on one page that you could scroll down. Now you have to click next wait for the page to load. Another missing element is the "sort by..." there was no need for a change. I would like to have the option for the shoutcast within winamp to revert back to the way it was.
rascal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 23:36   #126
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by xhilaration
that is SWEET LOOKING. Easy to navigate around NOW, this layout makes the old one look well SAD lol

AWSOME WORK ! I LOVE ITTTTTTTT [insert grouphug here]
Quoted because she has the most constructive criticism out of everyone.

Oh wait, she liked it.

Hrumph.

Maybe y'all ought to get over it. I've been using shoutcast since circa 1999, its nice to see a change and a more updated feel.

fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 00:49   #127
CJPR

You seem to be part of the minority. Looks to me like the majority disagree with the forum 'in crowd'.

Change and feel is good but not at the expense of functionality. Some simple tweaks to the new look and feel is what people want.
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 03:14   #128
jaromanda
Forum King

I don't see the big deal

if you don't like it, there's a link back to the old version anyway

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 03:56   #129
Jkey
Forum King

CJPR is amongst the small minority who choose
to ignore updates given by the dev team,that promise
the option to revert back to the old style list.

This minority also believe just because some users
actually like the new interface,they must have something wrong with them.
I like it i never understood what all fuss was about
ive had no problems at all with the functionality.

Old 15th September 2008, 04:10   #130
Jkey
Forum King

Just found this thread in the bitchlist forum
it started as a bitch against the changes but i liked
how it was concluded.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....32#post2405632

Old 15th September 2008, 06:23   #131
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Since the thread is here when will the new SC tools be coming out?

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 09:59   #132
CJPR

I have not ignored the updates given in this thread JKey. Nor do I see anywhere in my posts where I said that anyone must have something wrong with them for liking the new interface. In fact I like it myself apart from the problems with how many stations are listed and the fact that you cannot sort the lists into bit rates.

Have you tried to sort by bit rate, it does not work at all. Now how is that not a problem with functionality ? Not everyone has the same habits as you when using Winamp.
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 14:19   #133
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MegaRock
Since the thread is here when will the new SC tools be coming out?
Coming Soon

Old 15th September 2008, 14:20   #134
pl3xus

Sorry but I hate the new design of the Shoutcast radio station listing. I even hate it so much that i registered here, just to post this. It's a brave act, to destroy everything the users loved.

-1st I have to go from page to page.

-2nd I can't sort the stations by Listeners and so on.

-3rd I can't see which file format the station got.

-4th Even for the bitrate i have to klick on every single station!

-5th Worst thing of all, I can't even drag and drop or enequeu the stations, wich means when I tune in, it fucks up my whole playlist. I can't have more than one station in my playlist. Or am I too stupid?

Maybe I'll search a different player.

Thanks. -.-"
pl3xus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 14:24   #135
Jkey
Forum King

-5rd < i can drag multiple stations no problem
just tryed it.

Old 15th September 2008, 14:26   #136
pl3xus

Quote:
-5rd < i can drag multiple stations no problem
just tryed it.
rly? When I drag it I got only the URL of the stations web-page, which makes no sense at all.

Sorry if I'm wrong.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:26   #137
Nick@ss

Quote:
Originally posted by pl3xus

Thanks. -.-"
Jeez this place is crazy,

1rd, You have the option to go back to the origional list.

2rd, it is beta,

3th, it is free (not that it excuses it from being disliked)

at least give them a chance to sort it before being uber hacked off!!
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 14:32   #138
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
rly? When I drag it I got only the URL of the stations web-page, which makes no sense at all.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

I stand corrected sorry.

Right click on the tune in button !!
you will find your functionality there.

Old 15th September 2008, 14:34   #139
pl3xus

I know that It's free. And I guess they got more single pages, that more advertisment can be displayed. But thats okay, no problem there.

Yeah, It's beta, but normally you don't have to use Beta versions, you can if you want. I can go back? So, how? Hope not, by using http://classic.shoutcast.com/ all the time.

Greetz.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:36   #140
pl3xus

Quote:
I stand corrected sorry.

You're right, sorry. I thought I tried that, and it didn't work. Shame on me!
Old 15th September 2008, 15:39   #141
zepper

Quote:
Originally posted by SC_faisal
Hi - regarding the listing of SHOUTcast within Winamp. The new listing is very clean and gives better results. Unfortunately you can not get back to the old list version within Winamp.

Thanks for the feedback!
f.
Sure you can, just install the Icecast Stream Directory plugin and get over a thousand stations nice and clean on one scroll window. I only use Shoutcast now through Winamp for a few must have stations that for some strange reason want to keep changing their address.

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/ml%5Ficecastlist/
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 16:03   #142
Jkey
Forum King

bit naughty for me to post but,oddsock also does..
http://www.oddsock.org/tools/ml_sclist
a shoutcast list for the media library.

But however a fix is coming so its pointless

Old 15th September 2008, 16:16   #143
zepper

Quote:
bit naughty for me to post but,oddsock also does..
http://www.oddsock.org/tools/ml_sclist
a shoutcast list for the media library.

But however a fix is coming so its pointless
Whatever fix they make the Shoutcast plugin is still better because it doesn't require javascript be turned on to make it work.
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 17:04   #144
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
@ jkey - have you seen this post, maybe needs looking at.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 17:46   #145
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
-5th Worst thing of all, I can't even drag and drop or enequeu the stations, wich means when I tune in, it fucks up my whole playlist. I can't have more than one station in my playlist. Or am I too stupid?

Thanks. -.-" [/B]
Hi - The SHOUTcast site has never supported this so this is not new. Also: this behavior is not controllable by the site, but is rather controlled by your default media player. We just surface the pls files. Your Media player does with it as it does...

thanks.
f.
SC_faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 18:02   #146
ujay
Forum King

@ pl3xus

The only things the Playlist editor will accept are files, playlists, streams etc.

I suspect what you are managing to drag is the link to the station website. Possibly Winamp sees this as a stream, until you try and play it.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 18:46   #147
Maverick.lm

Just adding my vote to the "prefer the old winamp Media Library shoutcast radio/tv formats". Can't wait for the actual fix. An embedded fixed-width "webpage" layout is bad design in a stand alone app. Leave webpages where they belong, on the web.

I'll admit the new look for the WEBPAGE is much nicer than the old one (ignoring the limit of 10 station limit and the stupidity of the "more" link to show format/bitrate). My suggestion for the webpage would be to move the right/third ("stations by genre") column into the left column or below the first 2 columns, and expand the actual stations listing to the full 2/3 width, thus providing plenty of space for station names, genre and both bitrate and format, eliminating the need for the "more" link.

Last thing I'll say.. If this was meant to actually be a beta, it should have been an Opt-in beta. An existing non-beta product should not be converted into a beta without the consent of the user. If you had done that you'd have much fewer unhappy people. BTW just because Google seems to think beta means "everyone should use it and damn the consequences", doesn't mean they're right. Not everyone wants to be your guinea pig.
Maverick.lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 19:44   #148
maxshadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick.lm

Last thing I'll say.. If this was meant to actually be a beta, it should have been an Opt-in beta. An existing non-beta product should not be converted into a beta without the consent of the user. If you had done that you'd have much fewer unhappy people. BTW just because Google seems to think beta means "everyone should use it and damn the consequences", doesn't mean they're right. Not everyone wants to be your guinea pig.
Yeah!
I thought Winamp was pretty much a done deal.
Why all of a sudden are parts of it in beta and why FORCED on us?
I only joined this site to get a great thing back to normal.
AOL does this all the time but I thought their hands were out of Winamps pockets.

I beta tested for AOL a lot in the past and they really don't listen, they just do what they want and look at them now...they're giving away its software for free.

I'm really scared AOL wont allow a revert or even an option to go back to a more user friendly version.
maxshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 19:59   #149
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by maxshadow

I'm really scared AOL wont allow a revert or even an option to go back to a more user friendly version.
No need to be scared. The powers that be are very aware of the issues and we are working as fast as we can to provide a link to revert back to the old version of the directory within Winamp, thereby making the new BETA an Opt-in like the web site is.

The fix will be complete by the middle of the week if not sooner.

Cheers!
f.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:44   #150
lowrider007

Quote:
No need to be scared. The powers that be are very aware of the issues and we are working as fast as we can to provide a link to revert back to the old version of the directory within Winamp, thereby making the new BETA an Opt-in like the web site is.

Cheers!
f.

Thanks allot guys, must be a bit of a bummer reading critique about your work but please know that any improvements that go into changing SHOUTcast for the better based on peoples feed back is much appreciated.
lowrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 22:33   #151
bjjocsdradio

Send a message via AIM to bjjocsdradio
I wonder how feedback will be once the broadcaster tools are available. It'll be nice to talk about something other then how the YP looks.
bjjocsdradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 03:51   #152
LamasAss

I love Winamp, but I really don't like the new ShoutCast, I'm sorry to say. (I refer to SC in Winamp not the website)

I did like the old ShoutCast quite a bit. Ugly and effective.

Sure the new one is prettier (very debatably) and has supposedly better search options (I wouldn't know or care because I've never had to use the search)

Paged results is the worst "improvement". Please give me a full sortable listing again. Please!

I realize it's a work in progress, but could you PLEASE put the old ShoutCast back into the Winamp Media Library until the new version is ready (which it's not, no offense).

I don't mean to be negative but it does seem that the direction ShoutCast development is taking (on the front-end, user experience side) is going backwards. The evidence is listed in the many complaints on this thread.

I understand you are working on a fix. It seems to me it should be a fairly simple one: revert to the old ShoutCast.

Thanks. (And I do still love Winamp)

P.S. - I'm not going to buy you a pint, instead I'll just look at all these ads so put your beer on AOL's tab.
LamasAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 13:50   #153
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by lowrider007
Thanks allot guys, must be a bit of a bummer reading critique about your work but please know that any improvements that go into changing SHOUTcast for the better based on peoples feed back is much appreciated.
Thanks... if we dont hear from people and get their feedback - how will we know if we're doing things right or wrong? So yea, feedback is great - good and bad!!!

cheers
f.
Old 16th September 2008, 13:59   #154
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by bjjocsdradio
I wonder how feedback will be once the broadcaster tools are available. It'll be nice to talk about something other then how the YP looks.
The first broadcaster tool was released into beta by our kick-ass member of the dev team Neil a month ago and we've been making additions and changes to it with DIRECT feedback from broadcasters. Since all of the members of the dev team are also broadcasters - I have good confidence that we will only make the broadcaster tools better WITH everyone's feedback!

Stay tuned for announcements of beta versions of the new tools coming up soon.

f.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:06   #155
Jkey
Forum King

I would like to add that sc_trans 2.0 beta
went smoothly,all bugs that were found by users
were sorted out and within a month a fixed
version was published.

If this is a taste of the way things will work
its looking real good for the future of SHOUTcast.

Old 18th September 2008, 02:45   #156
maxshadow

Quote:

Cheers!
f.
Any news yet?
maxshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 06:10   #157
Nick@ss

Im sure when there is some news this thread will be updated
Old 18th September 2008, 06:12   #158
Jkey
Forum King

yes the dev team are really busy at the moment
so just relax

Old 18th September 2008, 15:08   #159
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
yes the dev team are really busy at the moment
so just relax
Yep - currently scheduled for Monday guys... We have to follow a process now and the days of pushing stuff to production ourselves are gone. :-)

f.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:15   #160
Nick@ss

Quote:
Yep - currently scheduled for Monday guys... We have to follow a process now and the days of pushing stuff to production ourselves are gone. :-)

f.
Yep, i can see it now, feet up on the desk, waiting for the different departments to do their bit
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Site Design