Old 20th March 2010, 22:58   #2601
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
Yes it's really bamboo and for the first test of it they proved a great quality. I've been skating on ramps years ago and today it's a fitness thing for me. When i go out, then it's for 10 to 20 Kilometers and if you look at my old pair of Roces aggressive skates then you know what worn out skate shoes mean, hehe. I will be able to give feedback about the strength in a year or so
Old 21st March 2010, 11:57   #2602
fc*uk

11.25 inch iron skillet. Dunno how I have lived without an iron skillet for this long...

Old 21st March 2010, 12:57   #2603
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Way nice Skillet! I only have a bunch of Lodge and Wagner Cast Iron..Plain but great for cooking.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:59   #2604
fc*uk

I really do like their cookware, though I don't know how reliable that statement is as I only have the 5.5 qt dutch over, 6 qt stockpot, and 11.25 inch skillet. I also like the fact that all of their stuff is warrantied for life, I've killed lots of cookware in my time
Old 21st March 2010, 15:23   #2605
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ You're not alone there!
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:02   #2606
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Is that actually bamboo? I'd be worried about the strength of it.
You know, they actually make entire houses of bamboo, so I think some rollerblades will be well within quality control...

Anyway...

Maisto scale plane of an RQ-1 Predator

Logitech Keyboard, mainly because it has USB support, and I'll be using it for my PS3

Aeropostale Benton cologne

And I've finally upgraded to an HDTV with an Element Electronics TV; 22 inch class, LCD, supports up to 1080p...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:43   #2607
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Well, most houses are made out of pine studs and framing, but I sure wouldn't trust pine for the rollerblades. My concern was regarding the relative size of the wood compared to the strain it was going to be given. It must be strong or else they wouldn't be doing very well in terms of sales, but it surprises me that it's that strong.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:38   #2608
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
And I've finally upgraded to an HDTV with an Element Electronics TV; 22 inch class, LCD, supports up to 1080p...
Sadly my 22" LCD monitor is used as an HDTV as well. >_<

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:21   #2609
djcalzar

I brought Spit Like This' Album We Won't Hurt You (But We Won't Go Away) Sort of punk camp metal. Brilliant music.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:12   #2610
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
but it surprises me that it's that strong.
Bamboo is very strong and also grows very fast, almost like a weed. I have some in the yard, and you're not cutting older stalks back with hand tools to be sure. It's not too friendly to your chainsaw blade either. It's also hard to kill. You can just about make a U out of the stuff bending it before it breaks.

It's something you should consider if you think about planting any.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:55   #2611
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
24 Kilometers last Sunday afternoon - not one scratch so far. But i have a little bleb on my right heel
Old 24th March 2010, 07:57   #2612
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
+ = Enclosed DVD rack

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 25th March 2010, 03:23   #2613
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Mucinex-D
Generic Zyrtec
NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit
$20 copay for doctor visit

Old 25th March 2010, 03:28   #2614
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Mucinex-D
Generic Zyrtec
NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit
$20 copay for doctor visit

edit...

wtf? it didn't show my post, then when I tried again, it showed both attempts...

Old 25th March 2010, 11:18   #2615
rockouthippie
Banned

You should clear your browser cache and cookies.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:27   #2616
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

cept in a 1.75L version :3

Needs more moo-cows.
Old 30th March 2010, 02:21   #2617
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
LED, fuck! It's one consonant, but it makes all the difference...

6ft HDMI cable; Bought it on Amazon for $3.02 with free shipping ;D Gaming on the PS3 with my 1080p 22in LED TV is exponentially better now...

Also bought a 120 lumen LED flashlight (Bright as fuck) and a flask (St. Patrick's Day seasonal flask) on clearance at Target, and the first issue to my renewed subscription to Maxim came in earlier last week

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 1st April 2010, 04:35   #2618
rockouthippie
Banned

I bought this big fat Heat sink. It's a Scythe Katana and I had to take my Dremel cutter out and cut a hole in the computer case to get it to fit. It's fun to make sparks and scare the dog I also bought a 500 rpm case fan that only makes 7dbm of noise. Less in the case.

With the heat sink sticking 2" out of the case in the free air neither the case or CPU fan runs at more than 500 rpm even with an X3800 X2 at 100% CPU from encoding HDTV all the time.

The noise was making me grumpy. The noise level is a very pleasant 13 db/m which beats the hell out of 42 before the upgrade.

It's refinement of a PC mentioned here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=311776

I added a 1 TB drive and 1.5 TB total seems to be more than enough for a home fileserver, Winamp and TV box. I put some drive rails in front of the case fan. Now the fan blows right through the drives and at the video card. I don't need much fan. It could also theoretically hold 6 drives instead of 2, but then I start to tempt my heat and noise problem again.

See you kids would want to overclock, where I want quiet! OK, just checking it out. 2GHz overclocked to 2.4 Ghz stable. I could only get 2.1 on a not hot day with the regular fan. Manchester core Althon X2 3800. Double clocked video card Radeon 4650 went pretty quick to 60C. That's ok. It'll last years that way. CPU fan at 3000 rpm. CPU temp 58C. That's pretty toasty. Case temp.... not with one little case fan for very long. 46C.

Not surprising, it's probably sucking twice the power configured like that. Acid test approved. It will get noisy before it blows up.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 1st April 2010 at 06:42.
Old 1st April 2010, 07:15   #2619
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
See you kids would want to overclock, where I want quiet!
Water cool it and have both.

My i7 rig sits at 4ghz 24/7 and it's nice and quiet.

Build log is here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=814735
Old 1st April 2010, 09:52   #2620
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Woah! It's *See Attached*

"Not for nothing!"

Atmo..I looked at that whole building linky. I'm frigging impressed! You also work neat. Aside from being cool, it's cool looking.
@Ted...Same here Zyrtec and Mucinex-D

Last edited by Widdykats; 15th March 2011 at 18:01.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:04   #2621
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Water cool it and have both.

My i7 rig sits at 4ghz 24/7 and it's nice and quiet...
...and expensive

edit: reading through the build log, awesome rig!
Old 1st April 2010, 15:58   #2622
rockouthippie
Banned

That looks like a really well done machine, but even with water cooling it looks like you added enough case fans to beat the band.

I'd be wanting some 120hz monitors and some of those Nvidia 3d glasses. Alas, my computer budget this week includes a box of DVD+R's and $36 in fans.

I am kind of a late adopter. I did buy a rather underpowered laptop a month ago or so. It's funny, my friend always buys the latest thing, but because our buying things is out of sync, about half the time I have a faster computer spending half the money.

I'm due for replacement of my socket 939 Athlons, except for this box, which is mainly a PVR and works fine for that.

Jason replaced an earlier one of those with a core quad i5 a year ago. Things only get faster and cheaper. A year from now I'll be faster at half the price spending $1500, he'll get faster again spending $3000 in a year or two. Leap frog.

This new 45nm processor technology seems to have hit the wall, finding it's practical ends at 3Ghz and no really great ideas to go further. Memory and hard disks are finding a new generation of improvement right now though.

I'm sort of a casual gamer. I like the Wii. Except for gaming, I haven't found a reason to upgrade anything. This recently acquired 1.2 Ghz X2 laptop I bought works just fine for general computing, just like this Frankenstein with some some 4 year old parts (and a few new) does it's job.

The thing I think is neat about the machine you built there is that it shows care in workmanship, which is something it's hard to buy off the shelf. Your machine would be a complete waste to sit under a TV set and play movies. It needs some radical video games!

I will be taking notes, and waiting a year or so to buy it half price I am waiting for DDR3 to get cheaper, processors to come down a little. Hard drives are getting into a faster generation. Considering it, I think I want to wait a little and get in on some of the improvements. If I had waited a little on the box above, it would have an AM2 socket, which would have given me better processor choices.

I can only afford to build new machines every few years, so I try to make it count. Hell, I still have a Barton (Barton 2500 - 1.4 Ghz, 4GB ram... 2 drives 200GB and 160GB EIDE) based gaming machine I built years ago. It's all dolled up. LED fans. Fan covers with alien faces. In it's day, it was a screamer. Still works fine. Now to be shamed by a laptop. Well not quite. It still wins with graphics. It don't remember what the 100 watt, 1 pound graphics card is. Fast at the time. It's funny how a 25 lb 400 watt behemoth from 1994 compares to an underpowered 15 watt, 5 lb 2010 laptop. It's the last gaming machine I built.

Now that I played a couple games in 3d, my next machine is going to need to be capable of it. Just waiting for that to come in at a budget. A few years of hiatus from playing video games finds a little more interest when it's in 3d. Neat stuff.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 1st April 2010 at 18:38.
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:53   #2623
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

The only way I could find 150 hours to do a project like that, would be to stay off the internet 150 hours.
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:40   #2624
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ Atmo - Excellent job on the case. It looks quite nice and is filled with some impressive components. Aside of all the time invested, about how much money would you say it all added up to?

One of these days I'd like to mod my case. It's an excellent "blank slate", but I never got around to dressing it up. For reference I use a Cooler Master CM Stacker 810, but without the included power supply that you see here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119145

It's silent enough that I can't tell it's on at all even from only 3 feet away, unless the fan on the video card really starts to speed up, which very rarely happens. The CPU cooler I use is the Noctua from this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=304937
It allows aggressive overclocking with minimal temperature change.

Old 8th April 2010, 00:43   #2625
exileone

$2 chips

Old 8th April 2010, 04:16   #2626
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P$ycHo™ View Post
Sent you a friendrequest.
Dude, you kick so much ass in BC2 it's not even funny. I felt like a total dumbass when I fought alongside you in your squad the other day.

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:50   #2627
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Heh. I guess I'm just whoring the game too much.
Old 9th April 2010, 02:22   #2628
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Got my own bottle of Sean's Irish Cream Liqueur at Liquor Barn so I won't be bumming off my dad's bottle

I already bought the pouch a while back (Making it a first aid kit), but the shoulder bag and mag pouch I bought recently at the Dixie Surplus; Gonna use it to carry my camera and binoculars for Thunder Over Louisville

Also bought the Negima season 2 box set on Rightstuf.com

Old 9th April 2010, 18:35   #2629
rockouthippie
Banned

I bought an RT-N12 Asus router. They don't tell you everything about 802.11n routers. If you want any of the portion of the promised 300 megabits, you have to run without 802.11 b/g compatibility.

Here's my acid test with 2 computers each 45 feet from the router with 2 and 3 interior walls in the way respectively. This is about the speed I got copying files from one windows file share to another.

802.11g about 4 megabits (This is about twice as fast as the Trendnet router w/5db antenna this replaced)
802.11g/802.11n compatibility... n connected. about 10 megabits.
802.11n only - about 22 megabits.

You can't really use this as a repeater, except to repeat another RT-N12 unless you wanted to run open WEP.

It's almost practical to copy large files using 802.11n (4-5 minutes/GB), but slowing that down with b/g compatibility mode.... skip it..... I *think you'd drag the whole system down to b or g performance by connecting a b or g device, so my compatibility mode test of 10 megabits would probably drag down to 4 if you linked old b/g wlan cards.

I sorta feel like I just didn't get the whole story on 802.11n. I'd have to call this a recommended $40. It's a decent router. If you aren't willing to obsolete all your 802.11g equipment, I wouldn't bother though.

My excuse was that I have owned this Trendnet router, which is a piece of crap, for a few years and it finally irritated me enough to replace it. The card in my TV/home server computer was also a crappy Trendnet. I replaced that with an Asus 802.11n pci-e card, which freed a PCI slot which I wanted for an extra hard drive controller card.

I'm not wow'ed, but now that I've discovered the things they didn't want to tell you, it's ok.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 9th April 2010 at 19:11.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:14   #2630
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'm glad you let me know about that; I was considering stepping up to n. However, all but two of my devices are b/g (Renee's Asus and my work hp laptop can do n, printers and other laptops/portables are b or g). I guess until I abandon the non-n stuff, it won't be worth it if what you say holds true for other models of routers too. For now I'm using a netgear g router (about 2 or more years old) that I have to power-cycle about once a week. I probably should have bought a Linksys. People tell me you don't have to power cycle them nearly as often. Thanks for the review and information.

Old 10th April 2010, 20:24   #2631
rockouthippie
Banned

I only have a Wii and a PSP that use 802.11g, and switching the router to "auto" only takes a few seconds. It does WAY slow down.

Another choice would be to use the old router to do 802.11g. Plug it in to the new router and get a DHCP address for it.

I hesitate to do that because I am already grabbing the 40mhz around channel 1. If you didn't know the non-overlapping channels for 802.11g (20 Mhz) are 1,6 and 11. The non-overlapping channels for 802.11n (40mhz) are 1 and 11.

I am probably overlapping channel 6. That means I'd have to use channel 11. With a dozen other neighbor routers around my house did I want to be a bad neighbor and use the entire spectrum space? My nearest neighbor, whose linksys router brightly shows up on channel 11 probably wouldn't like it. If I wasn't in a sea of routers!

About reliability on your router. My trendnet would need a reboot weekly. Sometimes I think that was a needed refresh for the connection to the fios. One problem I've noticed with people that are having router problems is that they stuck the router someplace where it would get too hot. Routers and modems are pretty much toasters, so they need fresh air.

Here's a tidbit for your wireless lexicon. Use channel 1 if you can because your microwave oven won't interfere as much (or at all in my case). Channel 11 is the worse. I read this some place and tested it finding it to be true.

People I know that have bought the linksys routers have been happy with them. I'll come back and gripe about this router if ...... so far so good....

Last edited by rockouthippie; 10th April 2010 at 20:48.
Old 11th April 2010, 21:53   #2632
psyfive
Forum King

My last purchase: A T-shirt and some socks.

My last BIG purchase: HP TouchSmart tm2 laptop/tablet. The fingerprint login thing took a while to get used to but it's nifty not typing my 17 character password each time I fire up my laptop. The touch screen has 2 input points, so that's kind of nifty. I figured when I bought it that I would get back into drawing and such... It has since reminded me that I suck at drawing. It's ok though, almost all my co-workers think I have an iPad and I've gotten tired of correcting them.
Old 12th April 2010, 01:59   #2633
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The only thing that I wish I had in a laptop that I don't have is a touch/pressure-sensitive tablet screen (and a stylus). It must be quite nice. I haven't found any that can do both that and play 1080p yet, so I guess I'll have to wait. I love playing around on those things.

Old 12th April 2010, 03:46   #2634
psyfive
Forum King

yeah, it's not a touch sensitive screen but it is a touch screen and it does have a stylus.
Old 12th April 2010, 09:48   #2635
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyfive View Post
My last purchase: A T-shirt and some socks.

My last BIG purchase: HP TouchSmart tm2 laptop/tablet. The fingerprint login thing took a while to get used to but it's nifty not typing my 17 character password each time I fire up my laptop. The touch screen has 2 input points, so that's kind of nifty. I figured when I bought it that I would get back into drawing and such... It has since reminded me that I suck at drawing. It's ok though, almost all my co-workers think I have an iPad and I've gotten tired of correcting them.
Woah! That's cool!
Old 13th April 2010, 00:24   #2636
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You should post pictures

Old 13th April 2010, 01:06   #2637
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

I bought 2x 2 liter's of diet pepsi, a couple packs of smokes and $20 at the pump

Needs more moo-cows.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:09   #2638
psyfive
Forum King

Quote:
You should post pictures
Did you mean me? here you go:

I'm at work right now and the only camera I have is the crappy one on my phone and the webcam on my tablet. The usb dongle sticking out of the side is my 3g internet adapter.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:32   #2639
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Screw the iPad :P
Old 14th April 2010, 13:46   #2640
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Well, I don't really know IPad...
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions