Old 22nd June 2011, 17:18   #3081
ujay
Forum King

Got to agree with RoH here.

Manufacturers ratings are rarely genuine anyway, particularly speaker manufacturers.

They should be at least 3 or 4 times the rated output of the amp if you want to turn the wick right up.

And that's ignoring things like impedance matching, which can blow the amp's output stages.

UJ
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:35   #3082
rockouthippie
Banned

That's sort of "old school". Modern amplifiers are "op-amps" oblivious of the impedance of the speakers. It is pretty simple for them to have thermal protection. You can dead short my 1994 amp. A red light will come on. It will stop before transistors melt.

It won't stop before speakers smoke

The problem with impedance matching was prevalent in 70's amplifiers that used Class C transistor or tube stages in the output, using an output transformer. An impedance mismatch would cause the output transformer to overheat, causing failure.

This concern is obsolete.

You could damn near arc-weld with a modern amp and not smoke it.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 23rd June 2011 at 08:36.
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:40   #3083
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

drugs

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:33   #3084
rockouthippie
Banned

Just a little beer and Jim Beam on a warm night.... What's your excuse?
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:54   #3085
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
That's sort of "old school" ... This concern is obsolete ...
Probably true, but then, you haven't seen my HiFi

UJ
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:14   #3086
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
cup o noodles were 3 for $1

i bought thirty, i think i have enough bachelor chow for a lifetime now.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 24th June 2011, 04:26   #3087
rockouthippie
Banned

That stuff has about as much nutrition as eating a handful of salted sawdust. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
Probably true, but then, you haven't seen my HiFi

UJ
HiFi.... LOL... I have a 1950 Zenith "Hi-Fi". Actually, the sound is pleasant. It would be a decade before they invented stereo.... It does have an external speaker jack. You would want to make sure the speaker you hooked up was 16 ohms or it's raw 8 watts of power would melt stuff

I think mine sounds better than this one:

These were spendy as hell "in the day". Actually, it is still an excellent radio. I have replaced all the power caps. 60 year old paper power supply caps are a really good way to burn your house down.... no kiddin' Everything else is pretty much stock. The old mica caps they used for electronic functions are probably still good for another 61 years.

Russia was making tubes well into the 90's, so at a buck a whack, I have a complete set of new tubes for it. Will outlive me.....
Old 24th June 2011, 04:59   #3088
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
That stuff has about as much nutrition as eating a handful of salted sawdust. Yum!
that's literally part of why it's bachelor chow, instead of just marketing BS

there are only two requirements to be bachelor chow:
1. still tastes good after eating it for the better part of a week's meal. CHECK! plus if you want you can always go to the flat box chow mein varieties, or the bag, or large bowl with oil seasoning.
2. easy enough to cook no matter how inebriated or just plain lacking of cooking skills you may be. CHECK! also slightly better quality if it cooks in less than 10, or even 5 minutes.

you'll also note nutrition has nothing at all what so ever to do with either of those.

Old 24th June 2011, 05:04   #3089
rockouthippie
Banned

I am "batching" it too lately. One savior is a microwave "poach egg" cooker I got at Fry's. Eggs uncooked are good for 3 weeks. 1 week if you hard boil em. I went to Costco and got 9 lbs of pork rib.... slow cooked it in "Sweet baby Rays"...now packed in freezer.... $1.90/lb.

Chef Boyardee Ravioli. Nalley Chili. Progresso clam chowder. All less than a buck a can..by the case.. Sirloins frozen... $5 a pound. Whole pork loins are pretty cheap too. It is damn hard to beat nukable breakfast sausage for quick munchies too.

Make bacon at 300 degrees for 4 hours. Prop the bacon with a cookie rack or like that. It comes out lean, it doesn't crinkle and is really edible for a week... cold... out of fridge.. A couple hard boiled eggs, toast and bacon like that is my usual breakfast.

It is a bitch to cook for 1. A guy has gotta eat though. Beer is only marginally nutritious

Bread sucks, but sourdough keeps better. It's hard to cook for one on "the cheap". You gotta do better than top ramen though. I would really look at real pasta. Cheap... keeps a year...good food. Cans of Hunts sauce are less than a buck too. That's a couple meals a can.

Take care homey.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:41   #3090
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
cup o noodles were 3 for $1

i bought thirty, i think i have enough bachelor chow for a lifetime now.
You can make the real thing in 10 mins. and just as cheap.
Only thing you save on is washing up, the one true test of bachelor living

UJ
Old 24th June 2011, 08:50   #3091
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
I would really look at real pasta.
honestly, as much as it may sound the opposite, when i do cook i actually enjoy doing a good job about it and typically actually end up with something tasting pretty good (rule of thumb, a bad cook is one who isn't constantly tasting everything he cooks) as far as pasta...

i've actually wanted to do real pasta already in all honesty looked at a couple pasta makers.... too rich for my blood...

also:

beans, garden variety brown kind.
rice, white (i like minute brand).
maybe some tomato paste.

another bachelor chow staple, add hotlinks or other spicy sausage for a change as needed.

[edit] oh and for all intents and purposes, assume i was replying to both, i did see your post ujay [/edit]

Old 24th June 2011, 09:13   #3092
rockouthippie
Banned

Yummy is drop dumplings. A large egg. 6 tablespoons flour. You gotta really stir the hell out of it and make the gluten shine. Ya spoon it off with your thumb into simmering beef or chicken stock making little moon shaped dumplings. It is killer.

Just like grandma made and a free meal after you ate the chicken. Well.. almost free... the stock will cost you bones. a couple bay leaves, an onion, a few allspice and a little salt.

I really prefer the broth with this clear. The boiled chicken remains are sandwich material.

Sometimes I get a whole cooked chicken from the store. It's a lot of food for $5. They make good soup when you've had your fill.

One thing Oregon does have going for it is excellent chicken. Really excellent chicken. Foster Farms How anyone can choke down KFC is beyond me. Nasty dead southern bird meat that it is.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:44   #3093
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Yummy is drop dumplings. A large egg. 6 tablespoons flour. You gotta really stir the hell out of it and make the gluten shine. Ya spoon it off with your thumb into simmering beef or chicken stock making little moon shaped dumplings. It is killer.
yeah we do this fairly often too except with beef stew, keep the lid on it as needed to cook the dumplings.

Quote:
One thing Oregon does have going for it is excellent chicken. Really excellent chicken. Foster Farms How anyone can choke down KFC is beyond me. Nasty dead southern bird meat that it is.
QFFT, i've never looked at really any other brand of chicken the same after discovering foster farms, then again... KFC is kinda unique, i gotta admit we don't have it often but.... they do the breading really well almost more texture than taste though.

i used to love mc donalds chicken nuggets too till i tried foster farms, it kinda spoils you for the rest honestly.

Old 24th June 2011, 16:52   #3094
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Three new pieces of ammo:

From left:

.318 Rimless Nitro Express (Copper/Nickle capped)
.375 Nitro Express Magnum (Jacketed Soft Point)
.500/450 Nitro Express Magnum (The round Theodore Roosevelt used on his African hunts)

Old 25th June 2011, 14:35   #3095
fc*uk

Quote:
i've actually wanted to do real pasta already in all honesty looked at a couple pasta makers.... too rich for my blood...
Impreia pasta machine: $50. About the cheapest you will find.

You really need a hand crank one too. Those electric ones generally just turn too fast and are harder to correct when you misfeed something. From dough to pasta takes me about a half hour. It's quick once you get it down.

The best dish I make my own pasta for is jambalaya. I add about a half a tablespoon of cayenne pepper to the dough. Makes the dish relentless in terms of heat.
Old 25th June 2011, 14:45   #3096
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
any idea which places to try? we've shopped around and found ones for about a $100 or so for the manual ones at some cooking store.

Old 25th June 2011, 15:02   #3097
fc*uk

Well, brick store likely close to you would be Williams-Sonoma, but they will overcharge you and sell it at $75. Amazon will sell it at about $55, but then you need to pay shipping on it.

Sur la Table is popular on the west cost, but they seem to be selling them for $75 as well.

I also checked Chef's ... they have free shipping over $49 but think the pasta maker is valued at $100, like you suggested.

Dunno what shipping looks like for you ... if it runs you over $20 from amazon, obviously you are better off buying it for $75 at a real store.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:50   #3098
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah i'll look at amazon then, i don't know what the place was called but it was one of the places that you find in malls that's like all kitchen stuff, $100 seemed way overpriced for a manual one, honestly gonna have to do way better than that for it to ever happen.

Old 26th June 2011, 21:48   #3099
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Fresh pasta is wonderful. Perhaps beyond wonderful. I am sure you will get your $50 in fine eats. I have a very old one. I'll tell ya... there isn't anything better than fresh manicotti, ravioli or home made spaghetti.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:45   #3100
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

11.314 gallons of gasoline, 0.5 gallons milk, 8 GB USB flash drive, 0.75 liters gin.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:33   #3101
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Newest member of my family:

Old 3rd July 2011, 01:35   #3102
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

refurbished: $69.99
same card new $129.99 fuck that.
creative is such a ripoff if you pay full prices these days, i couldn't live with onboard sound without putting a bullet through something any longer though.

works perfectly fine, zero of the issues anyone else seems to have had, sounds gorgeous and i swear it peaks less often too.

not to mention i wound up with a 90 day replacement warranty opposed to the standard 30 days to take it back to frys if it shits on you.

Old 3rd July 2011, 12:52   #3103
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm not keen on Frys. They burned me a couple times with repacks. An undeclared repack would be bad enough but parts were missing. That's been a couple times too many. It's not like it isn't a drive to Wilsonville if something is wrong.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:04   #3104
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah the returns definitely are a bit dodgy with fry's, this was a refurbished thing at least so at least you know the faulty parts were replaced, a bit like OEM hardware, except with the install disk.

fry's is only about 30 minutes from where i live now too.

Old 4th July 2011, 11:06   #3105
samantha89

Uh, and I got a Gigabyte AM Socket 2 used motherboard to replace the one that died a few days ago

Ah well, better configurations will come soon I hope.
Old 4th July 2011, 19:39   #3106
fc*uk

Yellow dr marten mie 1461's.

How could I resist; they are bloody yellow!!!
Old 4th July 2011, 20:31   #3107
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
drugs

Oh, I got Ralph Lauren Jeans (Black) boot cut, for only $35. I had a WOW pass and coupons for Macys.
Yaaaay!
Old 9th July 2011, 23:02   #3108
fc*uk

Any jean for $35 is a steal these days, never mind the fact that they were RL!

I bought a 12 pack o miller lite. I hate miller lite. But when it is this hawt, it's my best friend*

*Back in MI until Thursday/Friday ... then off to Toronto again.

I also need to stop living off my iPhone. Postig here sucks with it.... :/
Old 9th July 2011, 23:11   #3109
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Sorry for that. I'm half Sicilian and I Hate fresh pasta. I love Barilla and Di Cecco. Dry pasta is used in the best restaurants and my house.
Old 9th July 2011, 23:16   #3110
fc*uk

Really? I honesty can't tell the difference between fresh and dry. Barilla is good though. Di Cecco is not available around here :/

I'll have to see if I can find it in Toronto...
Old 10th July 2011, 01:23   #3111
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Hooker

I know I've posted it before but this one was a bargain.
Old 11th July 2011, 01:40   #3112
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post

Oh, I got Ralph Lauren Jeans (Black) boot cut, for only $35. I had a WOW pass and coupons for Macys.
Yaaaay!
You know, I recently purchased a nice pair of khaki-gray cargos from the Express that were on end-of-the-season clearance with extra 40% off from the ticketed price; ~$70 pair of pants for under ~$25...Same thing with this nice black blazer-like jacket, only paying around ~$30 for something over ~$80...

I'm always buying clothes from Target and Aeropostale because it's proportionate to my level of affordability, and they're nice clothes, but Express clothes are very nice but damned expensive, so it's really nice when I'm able to score this cheap...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 11th July 2011, 13:59   #3113
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
You know, I recently purchased a nice pair of khaki-gray cargos from the Express that were on end-of-the-season clearance with extra 40% off from the ticketed price; ~$70 pair of pants for under ~$25...Same thing with this nice black blazer-like jacket, only paying around ~$30 for something over ~$80...

I'm always buying clothes from Target and Aeropostale because it's proportionate to my level of affordability, and they're nice clothes, but Express clothes are very nice but damned expensive, so it's really nice when I'm able to score this cheap...
you know way too much about clothes to be anything but a closeted gay.

Old 11th July 2011, 17:38   #3114
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
you know way too much about clothes to be anything but a closeted gay.
No, I just want people to believe I can wear things larger than what a Target paycheck can afford...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 12th July 2011, 01:19   #3115
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

doesn't target carry the "you could try over by the curtain rods if nothing here fits" size as well?

Old 21st July 2011, 00:56   #3116
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Jack Kevorkian's original blueprints

Can only use it once but HEY! WTF! I'm all for it to claim my piece of American history no matter how trivialized it is.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:07   #3117
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ You're not feeling "funny" are you? Cuz it gets better...Just saying.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:20   #3118
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Sorry Widdy, sending a PM
Old 21st July 2011, 01:23   #3119
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Don't you fucking frighten me.
And besides ...there is still that Stripper in Vegas, who wants to see you again.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:25   #3120
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Google chrome hates winamp forums
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions