Old 10th February 2013, 17:38   #3641
rockouthippie
Banned

Maybe it's moms who find a disassembled toaster taken apart to see how it worked.

As far as flashing Android devices. I've made a Kindle run Ubuntu, but have no idea of why that would ever be useful. I've made it run Cyanogenmod 10 (Android 4.1) and it works fine... but ... the Kindle OS is super simple. It's Android underneath, but you could hand one to your grandma and after getting the hang of a touch pad, grannie could use it. The UI is gifted. Less is more.

I like dd-wrt on a router. I have a Raspberry Pi which is interesting for linux experiments. My brother is trying to make a robot out of one... Basically just a sled that will carry an ipad. RPI's run debian, so it's pretty flexible.

But the Galaxy is already running a pretty unadulterated Android. What else is there?

The copyright office has determined that jailbreaking your tablet is now a crime:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2024754.html

but your phone isn't.... go figure. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Usually you break a phone to switch carriers. You would break a Kindle because you wanted to use Google's Android store... and an ipad ... why did you break your ipad?

In keeping with bigger government we now pay people to tell us what to do especially when it didn't make any difference to anyone.

The pisser here is that a Kindle Fire is a boat anchor without giving Amazon your credit card number. The store requires a credit card even for free apps. This is a reason you might want to break your Fire and run Cyanogenmod which is now illegal. It's likely even illegal to talk about it.

So... if you want the best tablet out there next to an ipad... buy a Kindle Fire... But you better always want to give up your credit card number to be able to get even free apps. Even Apple isn't that aggressive.

I'm really impressed with Amazon's tablets. I'm not too keen on the "phone home" aspects though.

How did my Kindle Fire come out? I'm running the normal Kindle OS and added Google Play. This copyright office decision makes a compelling reason NOT TO buy a Kindle in favor of something more generic. Amazon's tablet store is WAY cleaner and less full of shit apps than Google Play, but you might want something occasionally from Google Play and the larger amount of cloud storage for music on Google is better for people with a large music collection.

And the copyright office came up with a really compelling reason that we all buy tablets that don't have proprietary firmware we have to overcome.
Old 10th February 2013, 22:06   #3642
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Whoever came up with the law that you can't root/jailbreak tablets can kiss my fuzzy white ass. My device my fucking decision.

There is no sig.
Old 11th February 2013, 04:51   #3643
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Shouldn't there be a way such a law can be challenged? It's your property.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 11th February 2013, 23:31   #3644
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
I did it just because. And I like playing around with different ROMS until I find one I really like. And I tether things sometimes(laptop). Stock ROM usually won't let you tether.
My stock rom on my Galaxy S2 is allowing me to tether, but I have yet to ever use it or need to use it.

If I were to root mine it would be for UI customization. I have a few grievances with some of the most tiniest of details (the notifications bar).

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 13th February 2013, 06:35   #3645
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I also forgot I don't like the bloatware on the phone. UI doesn't bug me so much.

There is no sig.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:41   #3646
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I don't think we'll root our new Android phones when they arrive, primarily because I can't be fucked; secondarily because Sharon's happy with her un-rooted Android 7" tablet. The only thing that I would want to root for is to enable DCC over IRC, but the potential convenience of having that facility on the phones is just not worth the hassle.

The last thing I bought was this pair of 2010 Nikе Zoom Hyperdunk Zomgwtf shoes from an op shop (thrift shop) for $30. They're in great condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00118.png
Views:	119
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	50227  

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
Old 13th February 2013, 18:05   #3647
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
I also forgot I don't like the bloatware on the phone. UI doesn't bug me so much.
Yeah I can agree to the bloatware but it doesn't seem to be running or sending me notifications ever except for when it updates. So I tend to forget it's there.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 13th February 2013, 23:14   #3648
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I don't like having to update the stuff.

There is no sig.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:01   #3649
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Whoever came up with the law that you can't root/jailbreak tablets can kiss my fuzzy white ass. My device my fucking decision
Except that discussing circumventing copyright protection is also a crime, so I think the webs that discuss the procedure are a goner.
Old 19th February 2013, 22:36   #3650
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Meh. I've never really followed the law of the internet.

Last thing I bought was a wireset for the car. I accidentally broke one when I was checking the spark plugs. Needed to be replaced anyways.

There is no sig.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:08   #3651
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Seems the guy that sold me the wire set didn't know what the hell he was doing. So far I have NOT been charged. As in I basically have free stuff from Autozone. That's how it looks so far at least. No complaints.

There is no sig.
Old 24th February 2013, 00:29   #3652
sgtfuzzbubble011

Not the last thing I've bought, but these are recent purchases. Since my old glasses were at least 6 to 7 years old, I figured it was time for new ones. The top two pairs in this picture are the same model frames with different colors (black/brown on left and black/blue on right). Got those from VisionWorks (Eyemasters) a month or so ago. With discounts from my insurance, the total for those two pairs was $252.

THEN... I found out about Zenni Optical (go figure). Since it's always a good idea to have backup sets of things just in case something breaks, I went ahead and ordered two different pairs from Zenni (the bottom two pairs). Total cost for that order after shipping was less than $53. Can't beat that with a stick. I think I'm going to use that last pair as my new work glasses.

I apologize for the picture. The CFL bulbs in our apartment make everything orange-ish in my phone camera's pics. And I've been lazy today, so I haven't shaved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_000668.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	50254  
Old 24th February 2013, 01:15   #3653
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

For a second there I thought this was the 'post yer picture" thread. I'm having trouble telling the difference between the glasses, but they all look pretty good. The orange is actually a nice effect if you ask me.

Old 24th February 2013, 02:14   #3654
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yeah, I can't find any pictures of the top two pairs online because Tempo's website sucks, and doesn't even have them listed.

These are the bottom two pairs:
http://www.zennioptical.com/?nav_cat_id=2&q=439521
http://www.zennioptical.com/?nav_cat_id=2&q=228721

I'll take some good close-up pictures of all of them together soon when I can get some better light for them.
Old 24th February 2013, 07:01   #3655
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

OMG they all look exactly the same.

Sharon gets pissed when I quite happily buy $6 sunglasses instead of the branded ones she pushes to the suckers who frequent her workplace (an optometrist's practice).

I've only ever had one pair of prescription glasses, bought back in the States. I'm supposed to wear them while driving, or all the time, or something, but I only ever wear them when I'm driving and it's raining buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Today I ordered two Kogan-branded dual SIM Android 4.0 5.0" phones for $149 each plus shipping (total $336). Once they're up and running, we'll be free from iOS and iTunes, hooray!
This purchase seems to have worked out well. They work properly (does what it says on the box) and given our limited previous experience with Android, we're not let down or annoyed by ICS's supposed sluggishness.

They are PRETTY FUCKING BIG, but that's just something we'll get used to over time.

Old 27th February 2013, 10:31   #3656
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Sharon gets pissed when I quite happily buy $6 sunglasses instead of the branded ones she pushes to the suckers who frequent her workplace (an optometrist's practice).
You know, I could happily smack you upside the head right now.

I DO NOT PUSH SALES ONTO SUCKERS. I REALLY HATE THAT YOU SAID THAT.

That was a reason that I did not go back into optical retail for a long time, because of the tactics of some places to make a buck.

I finally find a practice that places more emphasis on customer satisfaction and education and have quality products, only to have you go around saying shit like that.

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:46   #3657
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

... Awkward.

Old 1st March 2013, 09:31   #3658
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

/thread

Old 1st March 2013, 10:06   #3659
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

You're such a shit.

Can we go book shopping tomorrow?
Old 1st March 2013, 18:45   #3660
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I'd buy some flowers too, jaz.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 1st March 2013, 21:39   #3661
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Nah, flowers are a waste of money, would rather have books
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:44   #3662
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ARGH!!! Flowies are not a waste. You can't eat books...
.What?

Oh, nice "Kicks", allthatjaz!
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:02   #3663
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I DO NOT PUSH SALES ONTO SUCKERS. I REALLY HATE THAT YOU SAID THAT.
You should. It is our economy. If you don't sell it, nobody makes it. If nobody makes it, nobody has a job. SELL. SELL. SELL! It's patriotic. The main reason our economy is in the dumper is that people aren't buying and selling enough. This is the fire in which we burn.

You could smoke some weed and bemoan our capitalist consumer society, but so far it's the only system that doesn't involve concentration camps, forced labor and mass executions.

If I was gonna have something hanging on my nose for most of my waking life, I'd probably want top of the line. I bought my girlfriend a $400 pair of reading glasses a few years ago. I thought "What a sucker", but hell... it's what she wanted.. When I did my bathroom remodel I bought a toilet that would flush a cantaloupe.

Takes all kinds.
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:48   #3664
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yes, but informing and offering are on a different level than pushing.

I don't mind buying "good stuff" for certain things, but when I do, it generally goes against sell, sell, sell because it's bought once and then kept damn near forever.]

Sadly, with sunglasses, I can't afford to buy good stuff because I have a habit of damaging them beyond repair on a regular basis regardless of how much I try not to. Therefore I have to buy cheaper models when it comes to sunglasses. Otherwise I'd probably buy good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
^ARGH!!! Flowies are not a waste. You can't eat books...
.What?
Can't eat $4K Sacks Fifth Avenue gift cards or Lamborghinis either, but...

Old 2nd March 2013, 22:56   #3665
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
You need to push. You can't make a living not pushing and your vendors won't either. 20% of the retail price of any consumer product you buy is involved in selling it. Why? Because people won't buy it if you don't sell it.

This is how our economy works. Then we pay our taxes and you get paid.
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:23   #3666
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I don't need a lot to be paid. I'm in the lowest paid sector for mandated masters degree credentials. Statistically speaking, the average "some college" (less than a 2 year associates degree) person makes more per year than I do at my day job, which is only slightly more than the average high-school-diploma holding person.

I'll never believe that it should always be about money and sales anyway. This lack of "pushing" is why I never did well trying to sell those stupid Maintenance Agreements at Sears, while doing extremely well selling quality merchandise. The maintenance agreements were bullshit, and although I offered them with accurate information, people didn't buy them from me because I didn't try to make them out to be something they weren't the way other salespeople did.

Native Americans had quite a good set of communities without ever needing much of either sales or money before being introduced to it. Personally I feel there's a need for a balance between both schools of thought here.

A lot, maybe even most of what I do in my job is on unpaid time. I don't ask for more money for this; I ask for what I need to get by. Likewise, a lot of what I "get" is not what I pay for. A lot of people feed me. A lot of people do projects for me or donate their time and efforts to help me do them. A lot of people give me stuff, all because I do all this for them.

For example, if I DJ someone's daughter's wedding, I'll sometimes just do it as a favor. Free food/drinks/hotel there, but later, my family will be also repeatedly offered to take their timeshare as a vacation spot for free when they're not able to use it (this of course includes food, shuttle service, swim-up bar drinks, etc.).

I don't eat almost any food at work that I pay for. We have enough Julia Child types that provide the staff breakfast and lunch during the day and dinner during the after-school program, and all I have to do to earn it is stop by their place and change settings on their computers or move furniture every once in a while.

There's something to be said about that, and it gives a lot more satisfaction on everybody's part than sales and pushing. It doesn't all have to be capitalism.

Old 3rd March 2013, 00:49   #3667
rockouthippie
Banned

I'll bet I would have sold you a car and not pissed you off. I would have kept you moving along to get what you wanted. When we get done, both of us will be pretty sure that you got what you wanted or we'd still be talking. Sign here.

I go right up to salespeople and say "What is the good thing I want here" and then they get me what I wanted. I've been pissed a few times that they didn't try to upsell me on something I found out later I wanted. Most people are a little intimidated by sales people. I just go right up and ask em what the deal is. They don't bite. I don't ever remember using a half nelson.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:32   #3668
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Different to or different from, not different than. You're a teacher, aren't you?

Old 3rd March 2013, 05:12   #3669
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I go right up to salespeople and say "What is the good thing I want here" and then they get me what I wanted. I've been pissed a few times that they didn't try to upsell me on something I found out later I wanted. Most people are a little intimidated by sales people. I just go right up and ask em what the deal is. They don't bite. I don't ever remember using a half nelson.
That's just it, I do inform people of the best products out there, we purposely stock goods that we know that are good value for money and have great manufacturer warranties. We use our "budget" range as a last resort. With the lens upgrades, we only use premium products, no bargin basement stuff with us. If a person can't afford certain frames/upgrades, then on we move to what they can afford. We're not a high pressure place, my boss's mentality is that as long as the bills get paid and she can provide for her kids, it's all good.

It's a mindset that we've worked with since we opened 2 years ago, and we're now busier than ever.

"Pushy" to me is a salesperson that just disregards your wants/needs for the sake of their own $$. Like that bitch who would not shut up when I was buying shoes. EVEN when she acknowledged that I was having a rough day, she would not stop trying to get me to "try another pair". I just about had an anxiety attack right then and there.
Old 8th March 2013, 06:03   #3670
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

I bought a CD. "Nanobots" by They Might Be Giants.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:50   #3671
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Tmbg ftw

Old 9th March 2013, 03:03   #3672
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by tmbg:
You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
and now you're even older
and now you're even older
You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
and now you're older still...
I used to teach a lesson using that song when I was a music teacher to demonstrate monophonic, polyphonic, and homophonic texture. I of course use the standard Handel's Messiah too, as that's what the book uses, but the tmbg song helps keep the interest while demonstrating clear examples of each.

Old 7th April 2013, 01:06   #3673
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm sure some occasion will come up where I want these. Maybe with a tie and a coat. I think you should wear a pair of these to school Ted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fyeah.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	50406  
Old 7th April 2013, 05:50   #3674
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Rockout, those are some sweet shades.

I just bought another car. 1999 Chevy Malibu with 160 000 km's on it. (too lazy to convert to miles) either way thats pretty low for such an old car.

Got it for two grand, it's nice to have my license back.

Soon I'll be moving out to wildrose's area to find some decent work. So wild if you're up for it I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer with ya. I'll pay. :P

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:03   #3675
rockouthippie
Banned

160,000.... it's just broke in. Get the maintenance up to snuff and clean it up. Nobody will know you're driving a $2000 car.
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:30   #3676
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Rockout, those are some sweet shades.

I just bought another car. 1999 Chevy Malibu with 160 000 km's on it. (too lazy to convert to miles) either way thats pretty low for such an old car.

Got it for two grand, it's nice to have my license back.

Soon I'll be moving out to wildrose's area to find some decent work. So wild if you're up for it I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer with ya. I'll pay. :P
160 000 km = 100 000 miles

So, eh, when are you coming down?
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:03   #3677
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Back in the 80's and early '90s your odometer reading was the magic number for selling, because it was the mileage where the vehicle has given you a lot but is still sellable for someone who's either by force or by choice a scavenger. Any later and no one would buy it, any earlier and you'd be throwing away too good a car.

Now, 100,000 miles (or 160,000 km) is a different story. An average owner with no more than average upkeep can and will keep a car much longer without having to sink any serious money or significant work into it. The "magic number" is probably more like 260,000 km or more these days.

Fortunately, people in general haven't really let this change sink into their heads. They sell cars at your mileage for low prices because they are still stuck thinking they're hitting the "beginning of the end". This is why your purchase was such a good one. You have a lot more trouble-free life in your car than the seller realizes, and because of that you're getting a lot of comfortable, trouble free miles/kilometers at a very low cost, when compared to almost any other odometer reading purchase.

Old 14th May 2013, 04:16   #3678
rockouthippie
Banned

Old guy got tired of being flipped over the handlebars, bending the cranks off the bike with his shins and having his arm ripped out of the socket by his faithful pooch.

So.. I let BB tow me down to the auto parts store on our walk today. BB cannot crash me except for that instant impact force she can exert which is like hooking a 45 lb Beagle to a 50 foot rope and dropping it off a cliff. Our recent encounter with the gang dog wasn't unique... only unique in that it was a vicious dog that wasn't just screwing around.

So anyway.. necessity is the mother of invention.

I took a 9" bungie cord. I replaced the hooks with a couple carabiners. We just hook that between BB's harness and her leash and bingo.... Dog shock absorber.

How effective? Very. I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it does. Just a little give is enough to buffer that kinetic energy from a dog taking a 90 degree angle, deciding to walk on the wrong side of the lamp post or deciding a squirrel was reason enough to send you flying over the handlebars.

She could pull on my arm all day. That would get annoying but it wouldn't hurt me. It's that first 5 milliseconds that pulls your arm out of the socket flips you over handlebars or sends your shins through the cranks. I bent that crank an inch when BB and I ran into that gang dog. I am still bruised from ankle to knee. I'm glad the bastard was aluminum or I'd have broke my leg.

This should work pretty well for walkies too. I train them to walk nice, but always out of the blue... something will spook them... a squirrel will be just too tempting...

I will save me from that trip to the massage guy in town here.... Dropped BB dog off a cliff while she was hooked to me again Tom!

Anyhow if you've got an athletic dog that will disembowel you if it has brain failure or get's jumped. Daisy used to hurt me once in a while.... I think all of my dogs have injured me this way.

Use ROH's dog-sorber. $4.38 in parts at your NAPA auto store.

So we got that stuff and then we went down to the gun store and bought some industrial strength capsicum spray which we're gonna velcro to the seat post. This stuff should be strong enough to make the fur fall out of a dogs face on contact.

This should keep me from having any chance of a repeat of the highly disturbing events of last week.

Quote:
The "magic number" is probably more like 260,000 km or more these days
If you look at the KBB web, they keep track of how long your average passenger car goes before it goes to the boneyard. With the wonderful way most people take care of their cars *cough* they still all go around 230,000 miles before they end up in the boneyard. Including wrecks. That's average.

Bargain cars: It should have 90,000 miles, not been wrecked, not been owned by a kid. Get the maintenance up to snuff and you're probably gold for 100,000. I have not been bit yet.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 14th May 2013 at 05:17.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:11   #3679
fc*uk

^ why, yes you are good kind sir.

Hey, at least I entertain myself...
Old 14th May 2013, 15:30   #3680
rockouthippie
Banned

And so came the time; whence the wiper bottle was empty, the ash tray had been used once, the jack had been taken from the package...
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions