Old 27th February 2014, 00:32   #1
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Album art not displaying properly

Hello everybody,

For a longer time now i have a problem with Winampp - not displaying Album art pictures properly. First I thought it is because an incompatible picture format - much to my surprise, when I searched my cover pictures and found out all of them have the same format (.jpeg), similar size (form 300x300 to 500x500).

Here´s a screenshot:
http://imgur.com/106HwhI

It looks like it will load up just a part of the picture instead of the whole one.

Maybe I am missing something obvious, so if anybody knows the correct answer, do wirte back.

Thank you.
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 08:16   #2
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
please attach a copy of one of the files as well as providing an info tool report of your Winamp setup.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 03:04   #3
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
please attach a copy of one of the files as well as providing an info tool report of your Winamp setup.
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp.zip (14.1 KB, 119 views)
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 10:07   #4
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
update to 5.666 and apply the updates from here (as you're on a 4+ year old version).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 16:45   #5
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
update to 5.666 and apply the updates from here (as you're on a 4+ year old version).
Okay, I did exactly as you said, it didn´t help.

Here´s a new Info Log with that picture again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinInfo.zip (14.7 KB, 115 views)
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 17:00   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,821
What file format are the music files? mp3 or other?

Have you checked to see if there's any embedded art in the actual files?

What does Winamp show in the Artwork tab when you go to view File Info (Alt+3) for one of the music files?
Does it say "origin: cover.* match" or something else, eg. "origin: embedded", "origin: album name match", or "origin: folder.* match" etc?
Does the specified "origin" match with what you are expecting?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 18:22   #7
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
What file format are the music files? mp3 or other?

Have you checked to see if there's any embedded art in the actual files?

What does Winamp show in the Artwork tab when you go to view File Info (Alt+3) for one of the music files?
Does it say "origin: cover.* match" or something else, eg. "origin: embedded", "origin: album name match", or "origin: folder.* match" etc?
Does the specified "origin" match with what you are expecting?
This is what is shown in the soundtrack itself (see attachment).
Yes, it is .mp3 and artwork is the one that supposed to be there, but is not loaded completely, 2/3rds are greyed out, even though there is nothing wrong with the original picture.

Funny thing is, when I hit the "Load Artwork" button, it will open in the folder with the artwork, but there is nothing to be seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artwork info.PNG
Views:	178
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	51045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Load Artwork.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	51046  
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 22:20   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,821
Hmmm....

Re: "When I hit the "Load Artwork" button, it will open in the folder with the artwork, but there is nothing to be seen"...

This would seem to be a bug.
The "Load Artwork" dialog is not seeing image files with the .jpeg extension.
Try renaming it from cover.jpeg to cover.jpg

As for the image not loading, or only being partially visible....
First let us know if changing the filename to cover.jpg makes any difference.
If not, we'll take things from there...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 04:47   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
also, what id3 is being used? id3v2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:05   #10
OlexijL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 101
Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Please reedit the files. Use MP3Tag (http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html) to edit the files and merge the Cover Art into MP3.

After that, it will do.
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:20   #11
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Hmmm....

Re: "When I hit the "Load Artwork" button, it will open in the folder with the artwork, but there is nothing to be seen"...

This would seem to be a bug.
The "Load Artwork" dialog is not seeing image files with the .jpeg extension.
Try renaming it from cover.jpeg to cover.jpg

As for the image not loading, or only being partially visible....
First let us know if changing the filename to cover.jpg makes any difference.
If not, we'll take things from there...
Thanks! That helped. Now the picture is visible when I try to load it on each song one by one, on some it works, on some it don´t.
Seems like a move in the right direction.
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:27   #12
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
also, what id3 is being used? id3v2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4?
Eeeh.... id3v1 and v2, if that is what you are asking, but artwork is on a standalone bar.

If that is not something you can see in "Rmouse button on song/ View file info," where can you check it?
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:28   #13
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlexijL View Post
Please reedit the files. Use MP3Tag (http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html) to edit the files and merge the Cover Art into MP3.

After that, it will do.
Thanks OlexijL, but if there is possibility how to do this without installing additional program I´d rather go for that option, no matter how clunky.

If all else fails, I´ll try yours.
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 15:10   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,821
Any chance of getting a sample mp3 to us?
Zip up and attach one of the problem mp3's to your next post in this thread.
The zip attachment filesize limit is 15mb
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:24   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Masturbanti View Post
Eeeh.... id3v1 and v2, if that is what you are asking, but artwork is on a standalone bar.

If that is not something you can see in "Rmouse button on song/ View file info," where can you check it?
I don't think winamp reports id3 sub ver type. mp3tag does. mp3tag is really good for fixing these kinds of issues.

id3v2.2, id3v2.3, and id3v2.4 are the main v2 types.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

another app, mp3val, can also spot and fix problems.

I'd also be interested in seeing an example file. it sounds like your images are embedded in the file, not just standing alone in the folder, is this correct? (image files can sometimes be hidden in folders, and/or marked as system files)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 21:06   #16
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Any chance of getting a sample mp3 to us?
Zip up and attach one of the problem mp3's to your next post in this thread.
The zip attachment filesize limit is 15mb
All right then, first song from the album.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01. Above Earth.zip (1.11 MB, 102 views)
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 21:16   #17
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
reproduced with the file which has the image embedded (which takes priority over external files).

when checking with mp4tag, it reports the ID3v2.x tag as being bad i.e.the tag is somehow corrupted and that would explain why it displays like it does. i've not looked further to determine why the ID3v2.x tag is bad, though i think your best option is to use mp3tag to rebuild the tags (using the cut+paste action it provides) and then re-embed the image (if you want to) or allow Winamp to try to use the external file.


and related to the external file handling, Winamp currently can only look for *.jpg files and a change for the next release will be made to allow for *.jpeg to be recognised as well as *.jpg as is the case at the moment (at times i really don't like the dual handling that JPEG files tend to require with regards to their file extension).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:00   #18
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Looking at the file with "MP3 Diags" (link below), it confirms what DrO reports. It says the tags are ID3v2.4 and that the embedded image is not tagged as cover art. It further reports that some of the 2.4 tags are wrong, either invalid or deprecated. This app and the others mentioned are able to remove the bad data or replace the 2.4 version tags with 2.3 (and 2.1 if needed) version tags.

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Also, as DrO stated, you must remove all embedded images from your files if you want to use independent folder art images.

Winamp supports different image formats and currently uses the following rules when selecting artwork to display.

The lookup order criteria/precedence is as follows:

1. Embedded art in the tags of the files

2. %album%.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder (where %album% is the exact name of the Album tag in the file)

3. An .nfo file with the exact same filename as an image file in the containing folder

4. cover.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder

5. folder.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder

6. front.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder

7. albumart.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:25   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,821
Yup, as stated by DrO and Aminifu, the embedded album art is corrupted.
For me, in Winamp 5.666, it showed "origin:embedded" in the File Info > Artwork tab.
I was able to hit the Delete button to remove the embedded art
and then Winamp automatically saw/used the external cover.jpg file instead.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:38   #20
Dr. Masturbanti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Yup, as stated by DrO and Aminifu, the embedded album art is corrupted.
For me, in Winamp 5.666, it showed "origin:embedded" in the File Info > Artwork tab.
I was able to hit the Delete button to remove the embedded art
and then Winamp automatically saw/used the external cover.jpg file instead.
Oh, goodness, so solution was so simple? Hitting "Delete" button and letting Winamp figuring the rest by itself?

Well, I shouldn´t be surprised; these are computers (and related software): sometimes, solutions are easy and sometimes they´re an ordeal.

Thanks guys, for your time and help, Dj Egg´s solution fixes my problem.
But I at least learned a bit about tags and their role in files + discovered new applications.
Dr. Masturbanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:48   #21
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Masturbanti View Post
Thanks guys, for your time and help, Dj Egg´s solution fixes my problem.
But I at least learned a bit about tags and their role in files + discovered new applications.
If you want to use embedded images instead of independent artwork, there is a plug-in (link below) that works with the Winamp tag editor DJ Egg mentioned.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357457

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 16:21   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,622
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Masturbanti View Post
Oh, goodness, so solution was so simple? Hitting "Delete" button and letting Winamp figuring the rest by itself?

Well, I shouldn´t be surprised; these are computers (and related software): sometimes, solutions are easy and sometimes they´re an ordeal.

Thanks guys, for your time and help, Dj Egg´s solution fixes my problem.
But I at least learned a bit about tags and their role in files + discovered new applications.
it should be noted that Eggs solution only works IF winamp can delete the embed, and IF the right artwork is already externally in the folder.

imo, at the very least you should let mp3tag scan all your files, and then "resave" the tags to all of them, to fix any corrupted tags. u don't have to cut and paste, a simple resave should do it. I would also set mp3tag to remove all tags other than id3v2.3 and save as id3v2.3 and UTF-16 but that's just me, (although that is likely the most mainstream choices)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 07:44   #23
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Yup, as stated by DrO and Aminifu, the embedded album art is corrupted.
To be accurate, "MP3 Diags" did not report the embedded image in "01.Above Earth.mp3" as being corrupt. It only said the image was not tagged as the cover. Allowing the app to re-tag the image as the cover, then allowed Winamp to display the image without any problems.

The MP3 standard allows for multiple images to be embedded in a file, but Winamp (and other apps) appears to want 1 of the images tagged as the cover (if there are 1 or more embedded images).

Anyway when using Winamp, if the use of external images is desired, then all embedded images must be removed.

For variety (instead of 1 image for all the songs of a particular album), I embedded a single image (tagged as the cover) in each of my songs. I use the album cover image, various images of the artist, and various images related to the mood of the music.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 13:32   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,821
Thanks for the clarification, Aminifu.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump