Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 8th August 2014, 11:53   #1
pirithous

Problems with Song Titles and Brackets Using SHOUTcast Transcoder

I just realized that none of the songs in our playlist are playing that have brackets in them, such as this: "[ ]". We're using the latest version of the SHOUTcast Transcoder, so I'm thinking that it may have problems with brackets, as upon reviewing our playlist file, all the songs that have brackets in them are there.
pirithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 11:56   #2
DrO

that issue was noted in the release thread and documentation provided with sc_trans. other than escaping them (as per the documentation), it's known it won't work right when there are brackets in the data. and as sc_trans is no longer supported, there's little to do as this was inherent to how the feature was implemented.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:06   #3
pirithous

Does the metadata in a FLAC/.mp3 file have to be escaped along with the filename? In the .pls file, I escaped the brackets for one file path (one song) and did a test, and sc_trans wouldn't play it after moving all files to another directory besides that one file.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:14   #4
DrO

i really cannot remember what was needed to get things working and can only refer you to the documentation provided about the issue (is all i would be doing if i had a copy to hand). the feature was buggy and is just another reason to seriously consider not using the defunct sc_trans.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:29   #5
pirithous

Alright, thanks for the info. What would you recommend then? Liquidsoap was one option that somebody recommended, but I remember it didn't support SHOUTcast 2.x. I want to avoid dealing with struggling to get something to work on Linux or BSD with it being built for a distro I'm not using and deal with libraries that it needs that I don't have, and having to finagle with something for two days to get it to work. For instance, I tried Airtime and didn't really put much time into it but I couldn't get it to run. I do have a test machine though, so I can play with it for as long as I need to (the test machine).
Old 9th August 2014, 01:17   #6
dgcurtis

Yeah, I ran into the same thing with liquidsoap. I need to look at it again but I couldn't find a nice rpm or repo that had a binary already with the libraries.

I know sc_trans is no longer supported but I really like how easy it is to get up and running. I'm still using it until I can find something a bit better for linux or until I'm forced to stop using it.
dgcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 12:52   #7
pirithous

That's just it; there's no real drop-in replacement at this time for sc_trans that I've found. Since our Linux test server is not running Ubuntu or Debian, we have to build Liquidsoap from source, and the documentation for it is scattered all over the place on their site and poorly written; especially for someone who's never used the software. I'm in the process of trying to get it to build which is going poorly. It looks like for the time being, sc_trans is what we'll use until someone either decides to write some decent documentation for Liquidsoap, or we find another solution.
Old 9th August 2014, 16:06   #8
pirithous

Below is the section in "sc_trans.txt" which talks about escaping brackets. I tried doing exactly what the directions specify and then reloaded the playlist, yet sc_trans still doesn't play songs which have brackets in the filepath. There still is a demand for sc_trans, as it was a simple binary and it ran when you clicked on it. There aren't very many good Linux solutions for stream generators; a lot of the projects are underwater or deprecated. With Liquidsoap, building it from source against all of its dependencies along with installing needed development packages is something that's going to prevent most people from even touching it. And why the documentation is so terrible, is probably because it was written by the developers. I still have not been able to get Liquidsoap to compile on a non-Crapbuntu platform, and am not confident either way that I will get it to or not to compile anytime soon.

In other words, getting Liquidsoap to compile is a science project.

Quote:
7) If there are [ or ] in the filepath then for them to appear instead of being used as a filter, you will need to escape them normally as \[ and \] else it is often likely that the files will fail to load. This is more of an issue on non-Windows versions due to how the shell and expansion works.
Old 10th August 2014, 00:12   #9
DrO

yet too many complained sc_trans was not simple to setup (and for a number of aspects that was true oncecyou ruled out issues from bugs in config handling) and I quote "is an utter bitch pos to setup".

if the escaping is not working then sorry but then its most likely another bug and other than ensuring your filecdont contain those characters there is little to solve it. this is why it was always marked as a beta product.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support