Old 21st July 2002, 05:33   #1
coffie

SomaFM

A few moments ago i realized how much the people of the united states really have no say in politics... Senators are now chosen by large corporations who have the ability to twist the politicans arms and get anything that they want... Thousands of letters were sent... but in the end they matterd not... we all received a letter in the mail telling us that the "Issue is important". Yah... i hear ya... so how fat is your poketbook now senator?? where have all of the good politicans gone... maybe there never were any...

plato said that the best politicans are the ones chosen by the people...
plato also said that the downfall of democracy is the corruption of the leaders...

i want to believe in the system... and i will keep trying... but maybe i am kicking a dead horse on this issue...

tell me if you think we can make a difference for soma... i miss them... they made my day pleasurable...

coffie
coffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2002, 09:22   #2
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Soma FM was the best ambient stream on the web. I used to listen to it all day long until Shoutcast streams were forbidden by our firewall ( ). Anyway, I just saw recently they had to shut down. I really hope they'll get back on air, I discovered lots of cool artists and music thanks to them.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2002, 22:32   #3
Runeflame

RIAA

Thanks to the RIAA using stamping its paw of oppression on to the innocent, SomaFM has little hope of returning.

SomaFM provided a great service to new musicans by giving them exposure, as did other webcasts soon to go down becasue of new RIAA regulations. The RIAA's repeated claims of "CD sales goign down" only fuels their fanatic fevor for stagnating the music industry.

Appearently now (or at least as the RIAA would have me believe,) the reason I didn't buy the new Hobostank CD is becasue I was already listening to on a webcast from my laptop while I drove to work...
Runeflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2002, 12:11   #4
spanky

Send a message via ICQ to spanky
I can't believe the number of new artists I've discovered because of SomaFM and Monkey Radio (Brennan's station) Now they're both gone.
Good job, RIAA. Without the influence and knowledge of other artists I have no reason to fork over more of my money at the record stores. I went from spending $100/month to $0/month (not because I'm mad but because I don't know what to freaking buy. ha, stupid record industry..)

Maybe we should look around for people willing to multicast SomaFM from a country other than the US.

For now I can only dream about the "good old days". pooey.

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2002, 21:54   #5
Runeflame

Non-US web casters I believe would be a good idea, (Until the RIAA finds how to slaughter them as well,) But not in Latin America; As the Monroe Doctrine is still in effect, the RIAA has a better chance to screw the Latin Americans too.

Somehow a thought entered my brain today:

"Since web casts are basically radio stations with a different transmission medium, they should be treated similarly. And since Radio stations are licensed, that should be the only fees (if any) that should be applied to web casters. Not fees for every listener and every song played."

In my mind it doesn't follow logically to have the web casters pay more simply because they know how many people are listening to them. The other option then is "Should Web casters seek sponsors to pay for the RIAA's stupidity?"
Runeflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2002, 22:13   #6
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by spanky
Maybe we should look around for people willing to multicast SomaFM from a country other than the US.
Nice thought...but that wouldn't help.
It's not where the server is located,
it's where the owner of the files is located.
In order for someone here in the US to get away from
these rediculous royalty fees...
they'd have to physically move out of the US.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 10:11   #7
quantumflux

SomaFM

Just got my broadband. One of the first radio's I found, was SomaFM and I could'n listen .
Now I have posted a question to the Danish IAAF. What is the price for webcast in Denmark.
I return with the price if I get one.
Anybody else around the world can do the same .
quantumflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News