Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 27th July 2002, 17:22   #1
Drazi1

Send a message via AIM to Drazi1
Record Companyies to be allow to crack file sharing netwroks with immunity

Hi, have recieved an email saying the that record companys are to be allow to hack in to file sharing networks and possibly individuall computers , let me know wot u think about it
Drazi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 17:52   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Noooooooooo

/me runs and rips the power cord out of my modem...

I seriously doubt it, they seem more interested in shutting them down in court. And i dont remember hearing that its legal to hack peoples computers for any reason at all, let alone for sharing a few mp3's...
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 18:19   #3
Drazi1

yeah but , the us congress has a bill ready to allow this to happen, I reckon its the record companies fault for charging us to much in th e first place, u can say the genie is out of the bottle. They are also putting some fake files in the networks in the hope that users will get bored and give up,
Old 27th July 2002, 18:36   #4
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
it hasn't passed. 9 out of 10 bills do not pass. also strong opposition from both sides of the aisle remain, much like support from the bill comes from both sides.

the thing that disturbs me is that the RIAA/MPAA can access peoples' HDs according to the bill, and cause up to $250 of damage without any possible lawsuit from the victim. basically they can trash your HD legally which almost always cost far under the $250 mark.
to compound that problem, they can access people's personal files without a warrant. not even the Government can do that. does anyone Really believe they will just look for copyrighted material? they can purposely trash computers and get away with it.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 18:51   #5
Drazi1

yeah, but if u have a firewall installed can they still access ur hd,
they maybe allowed to infect ur comps with virus's , scary huh, hopefully some1 will do sumthing to stop this
Old 28th July 2002, 00:47   #6
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Firewalls are not 100% guranteed to work.

The only way to stop file sharing is to turn off the internet.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 01:05   #7
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

If a good hacker has your IP he can get into your PC whatever filesharing protocol you are using, unless you have a hardware firewall. The real problem is that with current filesharing programs, record companies can find out the amount of files a user is sharing, and therefore take action against people who share lots of files. The wait is for a good protocol that hides this information successfully from its users.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 21:46   #8
DavieD

Sounds like the record companies want their cake and eat it. Whilst quite a few bands wanted Napster to remain free to all, it was the record companies that closed it down with their lawsuits.
Looks to me that we have to vote with our feet and decide if we are to pay the record companies over inflated prices for music or just tell them to F##k Off by not buying it. They are only worried about the dividends that they can pay their shareholders, not about us the music listening masses.
I am not happy about the idea that they can infiltrate and start messing about with my putter, when governments need a warrant to do that. Are they now becoming above the law??
DavieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 22:11   #9
deadrabbit
Major Dude

well, if it did pass, i'm sure we'd see a lot of hackers fucking up the RIAA's computers, web sites and all that
deadrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 22:17   #10
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I really hope if that bill passes that the riaa cant touch people outside the us' pc's...
Old 28th July 2002, 23:58   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I might be being naieve here, but would it be possible for someone to do all the record sharing (in theory) from an offshore location, or even in space?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2002, 00:18   #12
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
...or even in space?
Would give a new meaning to AudioGalaxy Satellite.

I'd have to have to reinstall the OS on a server thats out there....
Old 29th July 2002, 04:20   #13
slacker52

Send a message via AIM to slacker52
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
I really hope if that bill passes that the riaa cant touch people outside the us' pc's...
if its a us law i dont see how they can legaly hack a pc in quebec[god i hope i spelled that right]
slacker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 00:32   #14
drag0nz

use the other guys linux then :)

just use linux and run a loop back ip for over 100ip plus and they will never get in and if they do manage to pass the 100ip firewall set a welcome virus to crash there systems just remember they can only get as far as you let them get
drag0nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 05:07   #15
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

softwarefirewall plus hardware router?
i agree with everyones comments for once. i actually have a fear for my privacy and security here. i have family pics video recordings of friends graphics files and school projects. trashing my hard drive would mean the loss of a 50 dollar drive but priceless memories ive colleted for 6 years now. what then?

time to back everything up on cd rom's...

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 06:29   #16
rm'
Banned

My fucking God... I cannot believe all the rumor and supposition that abounds on the 'Net...

All this anxiety stemming from an anonymous message from a user no one has ever heard of before, based on an email of which we have no verification of authenticity? FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE. Immediately, fingers point at some vague legislation on whose details few are actually clear about. Presumably, this omnipotent, evil legislation crafted by those evil dastards at the RIAA is the DMCA. Before any of you start some scare-mongering, I highly suggest you read the act in full.

Fucking unbelieveable...
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 06:36   #17
henry3k56
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Become a Billionaire.
Secede from the Union.
Become a country of your own.
Have an OC192 connection with several backup servers.
Share music.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 16:28   #18
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
if the ACLU wants to have the DMCA reappealed then i suppose it's worthy of speculation?

anywho this is about the Berman Bill. something a bit different.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,58786,00.html

"Under the bill, companies would not be required to warn users in advance of their actions. A user wrongly attacked could sue only if he suffered more than $250 in economic losses and obtained permission to file a lawsuit from the U.S. attorney general."
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 16:34   #19
Drazi1

i have the email here ,

Subj: THE WEEK IN REVIEW: PCs under attack

CNET | NEWS.COM WEEK IN REVIEW
The Entire Tech Week in a Single Email
Saturday, July 27, 2002
Imagine trying to boot up your computer and finding that a hacker had disabled it or destroyed your data, and then imagine that you had no legal recourse because the U.S. government sanctioned it.
That nightmare could become a reality if Hollywood executives get their way. A bill introduced into the House of Representatives would allow copyright owners to legally hack into peer-to-peer networks and disable PCs used for illicit file trading.
The measure would dramatically rewrite federal law to permit nearly unchecked electronic disruptions if a copyright holder has a "reasonable basis" to believe that piracy is occurring. The bill would immunize groups such as the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America from all state and federal laws if they disable, block or otherwise impair a "publicly accessible peer-to-peer file-trading network."
The bill doesn't specify what techniques, such as viruses, worms, denial-of-service attacks and domain name hijacking, would be permissible. It does say that a copyright hacker should not delete files, but it limits the right of anyone subject to an intrusion to sue if files are accidentally erased.
That's just the tip of the entertainment industry's anti-piracy push. A lawyer for the MPAA said we could also expect a new bill soon to curtail the piracy of digital TV broadcasts. Other proposals likely will seek to limit piracy by outlawing future components that receive digital TV broadcasts unless they follow anti-copying standards.
Future hardware and software would treat digital television differently if it were designated as copy-protected, preventing people from saving multiple copies or uploading them. Another standard would, in industry jargon, "plug the analog hole" by embedding watermarks in broadcasts and limiting the redistribution of broadcasts with those hidden watermarks.
In a related battle, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit in an attempt to overturn key portions of a controversial 1998 copyright law. The suit asks a federal judge to rule that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is so sweeping it unconstitutionally interferes with researchers' ability to evaluate the effectiveness of Internet-filtering software.
By suing on behalf of a 22-year-old programmer who is researching the oft-buggy products, the civil liberties group hopes to prompt the first ruling that would curtail the DMCA's wide reach.

Search

Bottom of Form

Live tech help NOW!
April's tech award
1 million open jobs
News.com: Top CIOs
ZDNet: PeopleSoft
Old 30th July 2002, 22:28   #20
freakybun99

But how??

But how exactly are they going to prove you have a copied file. Download each one?? Bandwidth problems anyone??

Think about the number of duped files on the sharing networks.

If I have zip file called "doom3.zip". How are they going to prove I have an illegal copy of the (unreleased) game unless they download it.

If I have an MP3 called, "U2 - with or without u". That file will most likely contain the music, but what if i am trying to fool the investigators???

The bill cannot succeed simply because there is no absolute way (in law) of proving that just because I have a file called "Ray of light", that it actually contains the real music hinted at within.

Its a daft proposition in practise.
freakybun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2002, 15:17   #21
KC8SHP

Re: But how??

Quote:
Originally posted by freakybun99
If I have an MP3 called, "U2 - with or without u". That file will most likely contain the music, but what if i am trying to fool the investigators???

The bill cannot succeed simply because there is no absolute way (in law) of proving that just because I have a file called "Ray of light", that it actually contains the real music hinted at within.

Its a daft proposition in practise. [/B]

How can they prove I don't OWN the CD for the mp3's I have. I have little kids. It has just become habit to copy my CD's to mp3 as backups. They tend to get expensive when I have to replace what my kids wreck.

If this bill really is true, whether it's passed or not, people need to write their reps and tell them they don't want their right to privacy violated.
KC8SHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2002, 23:06   #22
darrenforster99

Send a message via ICQ to darrenforster99 Send a message via AIM to darrenforster99
I'd like to see them destroy my mp3 collection ;)

Most of my MP3s are stored on CD-R and shared through CD-R inside either my DVD drive or my CD-R drive (that doesn't have RW capability). So for them to destroy my MP3 collection anyway they'd have to do some serious modifications to my CD-R!

Anyway I'd probably sue them anyway as I'm in England not US!

darrenforster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2002, 08:00   #23
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

solution? old computer with small HD and support for multiple cd rom drives (mother boards that support more than 4 ide devices). if you want make it a new computer with big HD just link it to a network some where like a basement. turn on some power saving features and wake on lan and you got yourself a party. your own personal CD server.

if you have more mp3's than CD's can hold than just burn a DVD and use multiple DVD rom drives. geeze i gotta make this dream server. its gonna be cool.

I'm Back?
Old 8th August 2002, 01:49   #24
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

I suggest finding a harddrive that cost $251 and back up your files on that. That way if they break it you can sue them cause it was over $250. Thank god I got a firewall in my router and firewall software. If they break our computers lets all get together to make a giant virus as a thankyou present for them. Is there a way to have it make their computer explode?

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2002, 03:39   #25
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

hacking their lan would be nice. defacing or DOL on their server is one thing. shutting down the internal operation of their networks is a better thing.

I'm Back?
Old 8th August 2002, 09:23   #26
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

I still wanna know if we could blow up their computers

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2002, 17:09   #27
slacker52

Send a message via AIM to slacker52
good luck on that with a virus
slacker52 is offline   Reply With Quote