Old 30th January 2004, 00:39   #1
<~Laser~>

MMD3 and Winamp5

Hey all, first post so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I use the MMD3 skin and recently downloaded winamp5.
Anyway, I have run into one problem really which is kind of annoying. I always have MMD in shade mode, with the dropdown playlist. The problem arises in that I can no longer right click and enqueue in Winamp5 (in terms of the drop down play list - I have the plug-in for the normal playlist, however I prefer using the dropdown rather than "jump to").
Old 10th February 2004, 19:26   #2
jjbehren

Laser, I too am having the same problem. I no longer can rearrange my current playlist by simply dragging up/down. I cannot right click within the playlist at all (can't remove from playlist, etc.) Also, I can't just drag a song into the playlist and have it queue up. Any help with this problem is appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
Old 12th February 2004, 00:58   #3
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
It's Winamp2, not 3... what else can I say?

DrO's Plex plugin should help alleviate this problem.

sfx
Old 12th February 2004, 04:48   #4
jjbehren

I appreciate your suggestion. However, I can't seem to find "DrO's Plex Plugin." Sorry, I'm kind of new to this winamp thing. Again, thanks.
Old 13th February 2004, 21:18   #5
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
Oh, sorry.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....postid=1273263

It's not done yet, unfortunately.

sfx
Old 16th February 2004, 11:14   #6
crazy_dj

it's good!!
can some one please can tell me how can i do a skin of my own.
thanks!
Old 1st March 2004, 02:40   #7
eye_onus

I've fixed that problem, as well as most of the problems w/ MMD3 that have come up thanks to Winamp5. The only problem I have left is fixing the REALLY ANNOYING font colors in the playlist: the 'highlight bar' and the 'currently playing item' are the EXACT SAME color, so if you click on the song that's playing, you get a gray bar where you can't see what the hell it says in the Playlist.

Working on it... Maybe Bart will return from the dead to help me out here.

All I need to know is the names of the color id for the two things, all I can find is this one:
<color id="studio.list.text" value="255,255,255"/>
And that's for the color of the items in the playlist that are NOT playing.

Argh.
/link removed

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko klama le bende pe denpa bu
Old 1st March 2004, 04:52   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I know Bart is quit easy giving permission to use his projects, as we all might have seen in the past. It seems to me he has not turned anybody down.

So where the hell do you get of making this update to his skin available without his permission?

It seems to me there are a lot, and I mean a lot of people here who think they can do anything anytime they want. I have news for you, it is the intelectual property of someone else, and until you have the written permission of that someone else, keep your hands of.

There used to be a time someone else's skins were sacred on these forums, I am sorry to find out that with this new generation of registrants that no longer holds true
Old 1st March 2004, 18:50   #9
eye_onus

>So where the hell do you get of making this update to his >skin available without his permission?

I have sent him an email telling him what I've done and asking him for assistance in fixing the one remaining problem of his skin. He has yet to respond.

>it is the intelectual property of someone else....
Naw, really? I know it is the property of Sven Kistner. I do not in any way claim it to be mine. I do not wish to steal his work- I wish to FIX it, because if I don't, it won't get fixed. Sven no longer works on MMD3, so if it has any problems, too bad, unless you fix them yourself. I love MMD3, it is both my favourite and ONLY skin, but it had a myriad of problems that arose when W5 came out, which I decided to fix, rather than deal with, which happen to be my only options. When I came to the forums, I noticed that a LOT of people also have the same problems I did, which is why I put my version- which is STILL Sven Kistner's work- onto the forums, in order to alleviate the problems others have had with MMD3. I call it MMD3-for-5 not because I claim it as my own, but to distiguish it from the W5 INCOMPATIBLE version of MMD3 that is the last release of MMD3 Sven has- or will- put out.

If you have a problem with me fixing someone else's work because it has serious problems due to version incompatibility and the AUTHOR will not be fixing them, fine. That's your problem. As far as I'm concerned, MMD3 NEEDED to be fixed, so I fixed it. I have sent Sven the .wal containing what I have done, and I will continue working on MMD3 until I have fixed the one remaining problem- that of the text color in the Playlist. I will send all my edits to Sven, so that if he ever checks his freakin' email he will know what I have done, and if I receive permission to- which I will not be asking for until the MMD3-for-5 edit is finished (i.e. all the problems are fixed)- I will submit it to Winamp for posting just like MMD3 v2.2 is now.

To reiterate and summarize: I have NEVER suggested, implied, or considered that MMD3 belonged to anyone other than Sven Kistner, nor will I ever. I claim credit for the minor EDITING work I have done to it to fix W5 incompatibilities, and that is ALL.

-Eye/Onus

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 2nd March 2004, 00:32   #10
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

You should have waited with publishing it until such a time as you got permission, that's all.
You did not have the right to publish it without, even if it just was on this forum.

And I can tell you right now, submissions to winamp.com will be rejected, not only because it is NOT your skin, but also because we have the habit of only having one version of a skin published, and we will not unpublish the version of the real author just because someone else decides it is not good enough.

In other words, keep it to yourself.

If you have problems with that, that's just too bad, but you will not change my mind on that.
Old 15th March 2004, 23:30   #11
eye_onus

I have been told the link to the MMD3-for-5 edit is broken. I would hope this fixes it:

/link removed

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 27th March 2004, 03:03   #12
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
*joygasm* that works SOOOO much better!!!! thanks for the MMD3.4.5 update!!!!
Old 27th March 2004, 03:08   #13
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
doesnt work with WA5.03 ctrl+right_click menu thing though - but i think thats cuz its not officially out 100% fixed - probably not the skin's fault

seems to work fine for me no problems with the text

and as for the 'its not ur skin' deal - im sure the original creator isnt gonna get pissy about someone liking his skin so much that they updated it for WA5 and shared it with a few other people who also happened to love it

if you dont support this skin being released without the owner releasing it then down download it?
Old 17th April 2004, 22:49   #14
eye_onus

Due to the suggestions of NyNe, I have continued working on Sven's skin and have updated/changed a few things on the horizontal winshade:

The mini-playlist now has the playlist buttons rather than just being a list of the songs you have.

The horizontal shade is now resizable, and (fake) dockable. The large buttons on the left hides the shade, right-click on it to enable/disable auto-hide (When button is pressed in, auto-hide is enabled). To resize the shade, either go to the far left/right of the shade, or to the bevels next to the mini-playlist button.

The drawers will close when the shade hides, but they return when the shade unhides- open drawers stay open, closed drawers stay closed.

Also, I have tried once again to get ahold of the author of this skin in hopes that he will release this version officially, considering all the problems MMD3 v2.2 STILL has, and because this skin fixes those problems.

For all those who are against my work, such as wildrose-wally, I have this to say: You find Sven and tell him all the problems that MMD3 v2.2 has, and get him to fix them. Because until he does, I'll not stop working on this skin. As far as I'm concerned, this skin deserves to be kept up to date with Winamp, and no-else offered to do it.

For the rest of you, enjoy the newest release.
Download here: /link removed

Eye/Onus
Old 17th April 2004, 23:35   #15
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Broken link... fix it please! fix it!
Old 18th April 2004, 00:41   #16
RetardMan

Send a message via AIM to RetardMan
YES I can finnaly use MMD3 again!
Old 19th April 2004, 21:54   #17
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

fixed.. thanks... now i will try it..
Old 20th April 2004, 22:42   #18
shins

really appreciate what you're doing with this. Thanks.

For people having probs with broken links. Try copy/pasting link into a new browser window. Geocities doesn't link well sometimes.
Old 20th April 2004, 23:16   #19
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
i cant say for sure but if u keep posting these updates despite a STAFF member (IE: Wally) saying not to it may bring you problems i would advice waiting for Sven to contact u before listing any more updates on the forums.

now on another note im not sure but if u posted ONLY the changed files and instructions on how to use them instead of modifying the skin for people and having the whole thing on ur site and posting info on it here you might be in the clear but again im not sure on that BUT i am sure what your doing now is not right.
Old 21st April 2004, 11:21   #20
NyNe

no offense meant to either wally or krynis, but skins, and pretty much all of winamp (given the SDKs) are all open source. so eye_onus may open and edit them as he pleases.

i dont believe he had any intent to submit the skin to winamp.com, nor do i believe he had any intent to steal the skin and take credit for it. as fas as i am concerned, if Sven came back and told eye_onus to stop, i am sure he would, without question.

but its not your skin to tell him to stop

and weather or not you like, or approve of the skin wasnt taken into consideration because we werent aiming to please you in doing this. it seems like there are other users on the forum who actually appreciate and like the updates made to the skin

as for eye_onus updating skins once or twice and then dropping them, i dont think that will be the case with this skin. the more winamp updates the modern skin engine the more eye_onus will find things to do with this skin, and the more updates there will be

at the very least if you decide to remove his posts or mine from the forum just because he is editing a skin, we can still put links to the download page (and the site when i make it) in our signatures, and around the forums, in the very least just to say we are displaying a website to the forum (well... when posted in the appropriate place anyways)

so honestly i dont think that you're being very mature about this, even though i understand your idea to protect other peoples hard work, we arent STEALING it, Sven will still be given credit, and as soon as we can come in contact with him we will immidiately ask where he stands with us updating his skin, and if he would like to use the update we made for his own future updates or if he would like to use the ideas we used to create his own update of a similar nature.

the main idea is, you complaining about eye_onus editing a skin and posting here about it is just childish, and anyone who agrees with you is also childish. eye_onus just wanted to make the skin capable of doing all the cool new things WA5 allows skins to do since the last WA3 update.

sorry to bore you
going to school now
-eric
Old 21st April 2004, 11:29   #21
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
no offense meant to either wally or krynis, but skins, and pretty much all of winamp (given the SDKs) are all open source. so eye_onus may open and edit them as he pleases.
You are wrong, skins are copyrighted and as such NOBODY may do with them as they wish, especially if no permission has been obtained from the original author.
Old 21st April 2004, 12:35   #22
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

OK, here we go again. You are not allowed to DISTRIBUTE someone elses copyrighted work, modified or not, unless permission is given. Open Source or not, that is still the way it works. If a piece of code is released, it will be either in the public domain if the author places it there(and as such gives up ALL rights to it), OR it will be accompanied by a license, such as the GPL, that describes what someone may or may not do with it. Skins follow the same rules. Unless you've already obtained permission from sven, or the skin contains a license somewhere within it that gives permission to modify and redistribute, you must stop distributing it. You are free to work on it in private, for your own use only, and to talk about changes you make to it, but you don't have the right to distribute it.

I'm on my way out the door, but I'll check back in on this thread later today. Please remove the skin from any online locations until you obtain permission to distribute it.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 21st April 2004, 23:54   #23
shins

Does anyone have an official statement on whether sven will update this or not?

You'd think nullsoft would have him continue to update the most popular freeform skin they have...
Old 22nd April 2004, 05:47   #24
bjorksdebut

Send a message via AIM to bjorksdebut
great frikkin work... i doubt sven would have a problem with it...

for those of you with geocities problems:
geocities members have a stupid file-transfer limit, and if the file transfer goes over something like 2 mbytes the whole site shuts down for like an hour... I encountered this problem when i tried to upload mp3s to my humble little site and folks wanted to download the music and couldn't.
Old 22nd April 2004, 11:32   #25
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I tried his metrix.de address. If I can, I'll try other channels of contacting him. I agree, he would *probably* agree. But until he confirms that, it's only speculation. I want to see this version allowed to exist, but I don't want a repeat of some of the other copyright/patent/ripping dispute episodes we've had here. Just ask bizzeh or geotone what I mean.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 22nd April 2004, 18:57   #26
NyNe

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
I tried his metrix.de address. If I can, I'll try other channels of contacting him. I agree, he would *probably* agree. But until he confirms that, it's only speculation. I want to see this version allowed to exist, but I don't want a repeat of some of the other copyright/patent/ripping dispute episodes we've had here. Just ask bizzeh or geotone what I mean.
im glad you 'want to see this version allowed to exist' thanks for that, good to know some people are reasonable

just for refrence i have composed a letter to Sven and found a way to contact him (well i think i have, donno if he will reply) eye_onus has been sent a copy and i am waiting for him to overlook it and make whatever changes he sees nececary before i send it to sven

we had full intentions from the start to ask sven for his support with this project, but getting a hold of him isnt exactly easy

anyways im off to take another nap - and wait around for eye_onus to pm me back
Old 23rd April 2004, 19:03   #27
gissepee

I downloaded and installed the updated skin, but when im using it the Playlist Editor will not open.

Im using Winamp 5.03a
Old 23rd April 2004, 20:00   #28
UNIQHORN911

help...downloaded mmd for 5.03 looks coool 1 snag
opened playlist editor ok but when i moved its display box
it left the text section in the old place (undocked?) so i now have a blank playlist box in on area and its text in the original place. if i close the playlist editor and then reopen it it moves both panes to the same place but the text is behind the display unit rather than embedded in it.
Old 24th April 2004, 14:16   #29
R_Humbucker

I just wanted to say thanks for making MMD3 available for WA 5.03! I fully understand the moderator's concerns and I hope everything can be worked out so that we may continue to enjoy this skin with future Winamp releases.
Old 24th April 2004, 16:04   #30
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by eye_onus
I have sent him an email telling him what I've done and asking him for assistance in fixing the one remaining problem of his skin. He has yet to respond.
I e-mailed you about wether or not it would be ok if I ask the mods for your IP and trace your location down and murder not just you, but your siblings, neighbors, and your parents and/or children. I assume by your lack of responce you are OK with this. Mods, feel free to PM me his IP.

You have been asked by two mods/staff members to seice what you are doing. Modify it all you want, but DO NOT DISTRIBUTE! In the past, beleive it or not, there have been lawsuits filed over the distribution of modified skins, and I doubt you want this.
Old 24th April 2004, 21:39   #31
JeBu

Quote:
Originally posted by NyNe
*joygasm* that works SOOOO much better!!!! thanks for the MMD3.4.5 update!!!!
hmm in this mmd3 which u sharing is one problem those shuffle, repeat and fade is like fat so cant read them. btw what is that skin in ur sig?
Old 25th April 2004, 08:27   #32
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by JeBu
btw what is that skin in ur sig?
Looks like the Winamp Modern skin in winshade mode.
Old 26th April 2004, 01:42   #33
eye_onus

Quote:
I e-mailed you about wether or not it would be ok if I ask the mods for your IP and trace your location down and murder not just you, but your siblings, neighbors, and your parents and/or children. I assume by your lack of responce you are OK with this. Mods, feel free to PM me his IP.

You have been asked by two mods/staff members to seice what you are doing. Modify it all you want, but DO NOT DISTRIBUTE! In the past, beleive it or not, there have been lawsuits filed over the distribution of modified skins, and I doubt you want this.
My IP address is 132.178.214.169 if you really want it. I don't care what you do with it. Also, because the ONLY license I can find for any portion of Winamp other than the distribution license for the Winamp player (-that thing you DL at http://www.winamp.com/player/ -) is the GPL, which explicitly states that anyone may change anything they want to the material and distribute it as long as they give credit to the original author and distribute it for free- which is exactly what I'm doing- and also because the only person that can bring legal repercussions is Sven- considering that Sven is the copywrite-holder, and no-one else- I am continuing to modify and distribute my work until I get an explicit no from Sven. If he doesn't respond, that's his problem, I've tried contacting him in regards to this 3x, and NyNe is now attempting a fourth. I seriously don't care what any of you think of my distributing MMD3-for-5.03, any more than I care what you think about the color of my hair. There are two groups of people whose opinions matter to me regarding the work I've done to Sven's skin: Sven, and the people who appreciate the work I've done.

Speaking of which, I'm currently trying to figure out how to make the repeat button have the following modes: repeat all, repeat one, no repeat, play one. Also, NyNE has suggested that I auto-enable always on top when the hor-shade's auto-hide is enabled; and that I enable auto-hiding for other docking areas- as in it hiding into the bottom when it's docked to that, etc. The first two I plan on doing, the third only if there is actual demand for it, but I am also posing this question to everyone who appreciates my work: What do you want MMD3 to be able to do that it doesn't yet? I've fixed it's v2.2 problems and added some things for 5.03 (btw, everything I've done to MMD3 is still W3.0 compatible- including the auto-hide), but I want to know what you think needs to be done to MMD3. What do you want to see on it that'll make it better than every other skin that anyone will ever make? As far as I'm concerned, Sven already made it that- but I want to make sure it stays that way- what do you guys want it to have?

Eye/Onus

p.s. MMD3-for-5.03 is now officially distributed under the GPL- anyone who DL's it henceforth will have a copy of the GPL included in the .zip archive, as well as within the .wal file.

Last edited by eye_onus; 26th April 2004 at 02:17.
Old 26th April 2004, 01:49   #34
eye_onus

Oh, and for you two with the Playlist problem, I think it may be a hardware problem- I don't have either of the problems you mentioned- I could be wrong, of course, but I would see if it's a Winamp problem- if not, I'll see if I can fix it. BTW, is it the mini-PL in the horizontal winshade (the one that drops down when you push the button with three lines) or the PL window (the one you open in the other two modes through the thinger)? That would help me find the problem faster. (And if it is the PL window, I don't know what to do- I didn't change any of Sven's code in that area, since I didn't have any problems with it and no-one else thought there was anything wrong, either.)

Eye/Onus

Sorry for the delay in replying, I come the forums about once a week, sometimes twice if I'm bored.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 26th April 2004, 01:51   #35
eye_onus

Quote:
hmm in this mmd3 which u sharing is one problem those shuffle, repeat and fade is like fat so cant read them. btw what is that skin in ur sig?
What do you mean 'is like fat so cant read them'? I can't fix it if I can't understand you.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 26th April 2004, 02:00   #36
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

What you are doing is highly illegal, you have to stop now and remove all the links to this illigal download.

And I mean NOW.
Old 26th April 2004, 02:15   #37
eye_onus

Show me the license that says that and WHERE it says that.

And I mean NO. Wait, I mean NOW.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 26th April 2004, 02:42   #38
eye_onus

The following was sent to Sven Kistner at info@metrix.de at 8:40p MST on 4/25/2004:

I have contacted you numerous times in regards to your MMD3 skin for Winamp and my work on said skin- this will be the final time. This letter is not to ask you permission for me to work on and distribute your skin with the work I've do it, but to tell you that a lack of response within 1 month's time from the date this is sent will be taken as an implicit 'Yes'- which means that unless you respond to this or any previous letter explicitly stating that I do NOT have your permission to distribute the modified material and that I am NOT allowed to do further work on it, it will be taken as your agreement that I AM allowed to continue with the aforementioned actions and that you give up any copyrights regarding said actions or any occurence directly related to those actions.

(That means you'd best tell me no now, if you plan on doing so. In 31 days from today, April 25, 2004, which is May 26, 2004, you will lose any right to cause me to cease my work or sue me for the work I do. I'm not threatening you with this, I'm covering my ass. As far as I'm concerned, it's a damn good skin made by a damn good artist- that being you- that could stand to be worked on to continue improving it and to keep it a damn good skin. That's what I'm doing. I doubt you care about this skin anymore, considering you explicity stated that you would no longer work on it after you released v2.2, but I do care- that's why I'm making it better while doing my best to preserve the vision you had for it when you made it.)

I'll be posting this verbatim in the Winamp forums.

With all due respect;
Jonathan Jones
AKA Eye/Onus

For anyone who wishes to comment on this post, please e-mail me at eye_onus@yahoo.com rather than posting here- I'll get the message faster, for one, and it won't clog up the thread, for two.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Old 26th April 2004, 02:43   #39
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
http://www.deviantart.com/view/772598/

Quote:
Copyright © 2002-2004 ~bartibartman
or...

Quote:
Copyright arises automatically once an original effort has been started and some aspect of it has been fixed in a tangible medium (including those for use with computers).
from the larger quote

Quote:
Copyright encourages the creative efforts of authors, artists, and others by securing the exclusive right to reproduce works and derive income from them.

Copyright arises automatically once an original effort has been started and some aspect of it has been fixed in a tangible medium (including those for use with computers). One need not even have notice on published copies. Registration is required only if legal action is warranted. However, giving notice and promptly registering works provide important remedial advantages in the U.S.

Those advantages are explained below, along with basic limits to copyright protection, issues to be considered in transferring copyright interests, and the fundamental distinction between works that are and are not "for hire."
from http://www.piercelaw.edu/tfield/copyVis.htm

or even...

Quote:
Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including “pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works.” The owner of copyright in a work has the exclusive right to make copies, to prepare derivative works, to sell or distribute copies, and to display the work publicly. Anyone else wishing to use the work in these ways must have the permission of the author or someone who has derived rights through the author.

Copyright Protection Is Automatic

Under the present copyright law, which became effective Jan. 1, 1978, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A work is created when it is “fixed” in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor publication is required for copyright protection under the present law.
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.html#general
Old 26th April 2004, 02:44   #40
eye_onus

That's not a license, that's a copyright notification. Try again.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins