Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 12th February 2015, 05:02   #1
opqpop

Where can I find the default Sound Font used by Winamp to play midi files?

I've used winamp for 5+ years to play video game music in the form of midi files, and I'd like to convert all of them to mp3. I've downloaded SynthFont, which lets me choose sound fonts to use for converting the midi files. I'd like to use the same one winamp uses as that's the one I'm most familiar with. Anything that sounds different feels strange to me.

Where can I find the default Sound Font used by Winamp to play midi files? If this is not possible, is there a recommendation on a sound font that works well for video game music, similar to winamp's default sound font?

I'm also curious if there are any VST that are particularly good for video game music.

Thanks
opqpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 02:09   #2
opqpop

bump
opqpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 17:23   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

The official input plug-in uses the soundfont that is being used by the midi output device selected in the plug-in's configuration options, afaict. This is usually the soundfont selected by the OS for the default MIDI Out device (MIDI Mapper). By default, Windows uses a file called "gm.dls" (which you can find in your Windows/System32/drivers directory).

Windows dropped built-in support for changing it's default soundfont with Vista. But, it is easy (using tools provided by soundcard/soundchip vendors and others) to add other soundfonts and have Windows use them, so it depends on how your system is setup as to what is being used in your case.

See the article linked below for further info.
http://www.informatics-tech.com/how-...nd-better.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion