Old 1st December 2010, 07:23   #1
webthing
Forum King

Blood red moon

December 21, 2010 is a total eclipse of the moon. (The Blood Red Moon) (Northern Hemisphere) Starting at 1:30 a.m. just a few hours before the winter solstice.

Revelation 6:12 I saw when he opened the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake.

The sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became as blood.

The total part of the eclipse, is when the moon is completely engulfed in our shadow, will start at 2:41 a.m. and end at 3:53 a.m. The entire eclipse will not be over until 5 a.m. This means the moon will be nearly directly overhead when it plunges into the earth's shadow.

Every lunar eclipse is always different in character and tells you a lot about the nature of our atmosphere at the time. They range from almost completely black, with the full moon melting into our sky and disappearing from sight, which happened in 1982 and 1991 after major volcanic eruptions, to being bright and coppery like a new penny when the atmosphere is clear.

They are usually somewhere in between, glowing with a wonderful deep orange or reddish light that makes the moon look alive and three-dimensional, as if you could just reach up and touch it. The moon is only 1 1/2 seconds away at the speed of light, but that is still nearly a quarter of a million miles out in space.

As you carefully watch this lunar eclipse, you will become aware of many dynamic yet subtle changes occurring. Picture yourself above the plane of our solar system and you would see that the earth and the moon always have a shadow extending behind them as each continually spins on its axis and revolves around the sun. The lunar shadow cone is about a quarter of a million miles long and the earth's is about 4 times that long.

We are physically standing in the moon's shadow during a total solar eclipse. For this lunar eclipse, you witness our shadow slowly crawling across the face of the moon and giving us proof not only that the earth is round but also that it is four times bigger than our moon.

As the moon slowly dims, nearby stars become visible as the rest of the sky becomes darker and reveals more of its treasures.
Try looking at the moon with binoculars or a telescope to appreciate the second-by-second motion of our shadow across the moon and take a close look at its alien terrain.
Our life-giving atmosphere acts like a lens and bends the sunlight so that it can illuminate the moon even when it is in the deepest part of our shadow.

Remember that the reddish light you will see on the moon is actually the combined effect of all the sunrises and sunsets on Earth simultaneously projected onto the moon. An astronaut on the moon would see the sun covered up by a dark Earth ringed all around with a brilliant band of reddish light, as if illuminated from within.

http://www.youtube.com/wHxcWSiD_4E
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 09:25   #2
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Amazing choice of photos and things and you scared the catnip outta' me!!!! >.<
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 18:50   #3
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I'm stoked, cannot wait.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:45   #4
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

It'll only be 11:30 here when this starts.

Awesome. I've never witnessed a total eclipse before.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:14   #5
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
cool, i think there was a blue full moon too last month on the 21st wasn't it?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:00   #6
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
It'll only be 11:30 here when this starts.

Awesome. I've never witnessed a total eclipse before.
Just so you know, it's a total LUNAR eclipse, not a SOLAR eclipse. All that will happen is the moon will turn a bit dark with a reddish tint to it.
The next total SOLAR eclipse in the US will be on August 21st, 2017. I will probably take a road trip down south a bit to see it.

The next total solar eclipse, however, is November 13th 2012. You'll have to go a couple hundred miles off the coast of Chili to see it, or two small bits of land in the Northern part of Australia.

Also, the full moon last month was a blue moon. A blue moon is the 3rd full moon in a season with 4. While December 21st is the first day of winter, winter doesn't begin until 6:30 or so in the afternoon. The moon will reach "full" in the early hours of the day, making it the 4th full moon of the Fall season.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 22:44   #7
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

dude. No CCR 'Bad moon rising'???

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 02:27   #8
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Just so you know, it's a total LUNAR eclipse, not a SOLAR eclipse. All that will happen is the moon will turn a bit dark with a reddish tint to it.
I did read the topic title, you know.

Old 6th December 2010, 04:21   #9
webthing
Forum King

Old 6th December 2010, 10:37   #10
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
I did read the topic title, you know.
You seemed to be quite happy to witness something that is widely viewable twice a year. To witness a total solar eclipse, one usually needs to travel a good distance. Your comment on having never seen one before lead me to believe that you had confused solar and lunar eclipses.

Old 6th December 2010, 13:43   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Red Moons aren't super uncommon. I think the last one I saw was in 2008. The next one will be Dec 10, 2011.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH20...l#LE2011Jun15T
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 02:08   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
It'll be 2:17 a.m. here when it happens. I might stay up and drive out to the middle of nowhere to see it. Since I live in rural Iowa, I can get great views of the sky if there's no cloud cover. It'll likely be below zero Fahrenheit though (it was this morning and December is just starting).

If I'm lucky I might be able to get a picture of two of it, but my camera shutter can only open for a maximum of 15 seconds (will bring the tripod for that of course) without some sort of firmware hack that I'm not willing to take on. It's a Canon S5-IS - kind of an overbloated point-and-shoot, almost but not quite a DSLR. What other settings should I use for taking this kind of picture? I'll probably need some help with settings if I want it to turn out well.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:33   #13
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
What other settings should I use for taking this kind of picture? I'll probably need some help with settings if I want it to turn out well.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=428255

Old 8th December 2010, 16:29   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

The moon is pretty bright. I doubt you'd need all of 15 seconds, even in an eclipse. Your camera light meter would probably overexpose. I'd start at half a second and see where you are at for exposure. Your f-stop will be pretty high because I would assume you'd want to be at the extreme of your optical telephoto. That means focus shouldn't be a big issue. I'd just bump the exposure around a little and see what gives the best contrast.

Hmm... if you did end up having to do 15 seconds, it might blur.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:37   #15
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

webthing: Impressive posting! Love CCR and the white wolf with red river I thought was way cool.
Old 8th December 2010, 21:38   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

This camera makes it to 12x optical; if I had waited a year for the sx-20 to come out, it would have been 20x zoom for the same price, but yes, I'll probably have the zoom maxed out. Keep reminding me when the day comes closer. Plus, webthing, yes, those were some amazing posts.

Old 9th December 2010, 02:22   #17
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
You seemed to be quite happy to witness something that is widely viewable twice a year. To witness a total solar eclipse, one usually needs to travel a good distance. Your comment on having never seen one before lead me to believe that you had confused solar and lunar eclipses.
TBH I don't ever remember seeing a red moon in the past. Maybe I just don't pay attention.

Old 9th December 2010, 03:41   #18
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Around here, during harvest season, there is very little (usually no) rain, and the moon gets to be really odd colors, mostly because of all the shit in the air from all the combines and other heavy equipment working in the fields and dirt roads.

Old 9th December 2010, 03:50   #19
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

From way back in 2005, this is the photo I took of the harvest moon we had then:

Photo is from a crappy 2 megapixel camera I had back then.

Old 9th December 2010, 08:51   #20
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ That's an awesome photo! Great pictures (and tuneage) in this thread.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:14   #21
polyphasic

Will miss this opportunity.
polyphasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 15:10   #22
careygold

Wow amazing !!! just love it!!
careygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 15:17   #23
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Looks like it's gonna be overcast early Tuesday morning. Oh well, was going to photograph it.

Old 19th December 2010, 15:54   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My forecast says "mostly cloudy" for the 21st at 4am at this point. I'll keep an eye on the reports though - might get lucky.

Old 19th December 2010, 18:23   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

I might be able to see it. The seeing won't be astronomically great, but we aren't supposed to have much cloud cover. A few clouds might make a more interesting picture.

Quote:
Around here, during harvest season, there is very little (usually no) rain, and the moon gets to be really odd colors, mostly because of all the shit in the air from all the combines and other heavy equipment working in the fields and dirt roads.
I remember Mt. St. Helens. The moon was blue for a couple months. Your lens is about 600mm effective. You could probably take a handheld picture at ISO 800. I think the moon should be about 15-20% of the frame at that focal length. Guessing on the shutter speed at 800 ISO. I'd figure 1/30th or 1/60th of a second should do the job. Handheld speed if you don't wiggle a lot.

At ISO 100. I would try an exposure of 1 second on a tripod. Use your self-timer so you don't wiggle it. I could be wrong, but I am making an educated guess should I get the opportunity to get a picture.

I think your camera is 12 megapixel. If that's right, you should be able to get some pretty good detail. It might be interesting to do exposures pointing at the terrain and either take (if your camera will) or photoshop multiple exposures together as the moon rises.

Something like this:

Old 20th December 2010, 01:12   #26
webthing
Forum King

Thanks for the comments you guys and cool cats.

Will be very cool if someone gets some pics. I'm going to try. Even though my camera is not made for this kind of photography. Looks like my weather will be partly cloudy and 21F at 3:00 am est.

Couple more lunar eclipse facts.

The lunar eclipse of Dec. 21st falls on the same date as the northern winter solstice. According to Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory, who inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is Dec. 21, 1638," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on Dec. 21, 2094."

The celestial eccentricity holds special significance for spiritualities that tap into the energy of the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and a time that is associated with the rebirth of the sun.

"It's a ritual of transformation from darkness into light," says Nicole Cooper, a high priestess at Toronto's Wiccan Church of Canada. "It's the idea that when things seem really bleak, it is often our biggest opportunity for personal transformation.

"The idea that the sun and the moon are almost at their darkest at this point in time really only further goes to hammer that home."
Cooper said Wiccans also see great significance in the unique coupling of the masculine energy of the sun and the feminine energy of the moon.

You can also watch it live on your computer. There are several sites that will have streaming video.

http://www.ccssc.org/webcast.html

http://www.ustream*****channel/live-eclipse1

http://breakingnews-and-views.blogsp...mber-2010.html

http://miami.backpage.com/Events/wpb...lipse/12254603

More lunar eclipse facts

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Lunar_eclipse

You guys and gals stay safe and warm . (watch out for the wolves when the moon turns red)
And have a Very Merry Christmas.
Old 20th December 2010, 02:24   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My camera is sadly limited to 8 megapixels. For a camera this size it should be higher, and had I waited just a bit for the sx 20, it would have been far better (in terms of optical zoom and megapixels) at the same price. Either way, I will try my best. Just keep reminding me by posting here so that I remember to set the alarm or stay up. I'll be using the tripod with the 2s timer for all the shots, even if handheld is possible, just to make sure. If there are too many clouds, then... that will suck. I'll have to take pics of something else.

Old 20th December 2010, 17:46   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Mine is only 7.1, but I still get pretty reasonable results for 20X30 enlargements.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:07   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I don't generally enlarge bigger than 11x17 (that's the biggest my photo printer will print), but I do crop quite a lot, so it would be good if I were to get a better camera eventually. I just need someone to buy this one first.

I always think about what it would be like to have a dSLR, since I used to do a lot of SLR work in the film days (Minolta X-700 and a pretty good bag of glass from my family), but I like the convenience of a one-object-does-all camera. The reality of it is that any time I have good opportunity to work on a great shot, everyone with me gets impatient and I therefore end up having to do something a lot more quickly. That's why I try and get the best point-and-shoot available.

So far, heavy clouds

Old 21st December 2010, 04:26   #30
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Clouds everywhere here too but the moon's still somewhat visible behind them.

/Total eclipse is supposed to be happening but unlike my face right now, the MOON ISN'T RED. It just disappeared behind earth's shadow.

I want my money back.

Last edited by Psythik; 21st December 2010 at 06:48.
Old 21st December 2010, 06:57   #31
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Not only do we have heavy cloud cover, but we have very dense fog right now. I can't see a damn thing out there. I took a drive to the middle of nowhere to make sure I didn't have light pollution blocking anything, hoping that would make me aware of the moon was, but...

edit - here's the sky I see, with a 15s shutter:

Nothing but cloud cover, and dark.

Old 28th December 2010, 05:41   #32
webthing
Forum King

Old 28th December 2010, 10:35   #33
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Christ, this thread is now worse than a 12 year olds MySpace page. Took several minutes to load and made FireFox use a GIG of RAM.

75 or so YouTube videos may have something to do with it.

Good grief.

Old 28th December 2010, 21:32   #34
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I LOVE Wolves♥
And I like the video from Apocalypto with CCR's Run Through The Jungle.
Of course, I'm fond of excessive.
Old 16th December 2013, 02:59   #35
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Wolves are so natural, and I love also the Northamerican Indians and the Skandinavian Sami...

Last Yoik in Saami Forests (part 1 of 6)

The wolves and the moon... They are so mystic...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 23:15   #36
webthing
Forum King

Old 22nd December 2013, 02:29   #37
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Webthing, that... wall of pictures and YouTube videos... rendered really really well! WTF?

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:11   #38
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

werd. brb. reseting firefox

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 09:37   #39
webthing
Forum King

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 there will be a total lunar eclipse that will turn the moon a coppery red.
Old 12th April 2014, 09:43   #40
webthing
Forum King

Within a year and a half, North America will be able to see a blood moon a total of four times. The moon takes on this color during the eclipse as it passes through the Earth's shadow, which is the color of a desert sunset.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions