Old 1st July 2011, 17:45   #1
phildogg82

The new Shoutcast radio listing layout is horrendous

Is it really going to stay like this, with no option to return to the classic version anymore? I didn't use the last layout either, but at least it had the option to revert back. I can't see anything better about this, while it takes away all the useful functions. But at least it caters to people who need eye candy. Why would you take away the tables and all the sorting? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is disappointed about this.
phildogg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 17:55   #2
ujay
Forum King

I've posted a bit on this in the 5.62 Release thread.

Although it will never entirely replace the old Classic view, a few small improvements could make a lot of difference to it's usefulness.

Remains to be seen if those improvements can be made.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 21:18   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

One of the disadvantages of the new view is the lack of the 'FAYT' (Find as you type) feature, which list stations on the fly when you start typing chars in the search field.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:08   #4
GeorgeCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildogg82 View Post
Is it really going to stay like this, with no option to return to the classic version anymore? I didn't use the last layout either, but at least it had the option to revert back. I can't see anything better about this, while it takes away all the useful functions. But at least it caters to people who need eye candy. Why would you take away the tables and all the sorting? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is disappointed about this.
Agreed...Why is there no option to "Show All" stations on one page...now you have 23 pages or more to flip through...DUMB!

Every time I load Winamp...I no longer get my genre of music (what I last viewed)...I'm brought to "Most Popular"...not cool or convenient.

It isn't "eye candy" at all it's hideous.

And the designers NEVER touch any other area like "Shoutcast TV" (that always stays in the same format.) ONLY Shoutcast gets this crap.

"Popular Tag" looks like freak'n ish...seriously guys that mess is down right wrong.

The whole thing is f@cked up looking and there is no functionality anymore...this just goes to show how AOL is hell bent on ruining everything they have a name on.
Why do you guys do this???
GeorgeCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:50   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I agree and disagree on some of the points made....

Sure, I loved the old classic listings and am sad to see it go.
But the new classic-style view isn't as bad as you're making out... is it?!

http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1309578030/sc-radio.png

You can set it to 100 per page, which means no more than 3-5 total pages per genre.
You can still sort by Station Name, Bitrate, or Listeners.
The Genre search drop-down is still there.
The main search is still there (but not SAYT)

Sure, the right-click menu (Play, Enqueue, Bookmark) is gone, and now it just obeys whatever the default setting is (Play or Enqueue, or 'Enqueue & Play' if you've got the ml_enqplay plugin from the EP).

I think the star on the right will eventually be used for bookmarking.

What else is missing?
Column resizing.
Theming!
And we could do with Ctrl-Num+ working for increasing text size.

And yes, the Popular Tags thing is a bit ugly, lol, though at least they work and the selected tag is highlighted.
Would be nice if they could be hidden by resizing the window, but they just proportionally resize along with the rest.
Or maybe stick them at the bottom, out of the way, heh.

With a few tweaks, I guess I could eventually get used to this...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:45   #6
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildogg82 View Post
More like ass candy. I'm pissed too.

WE WANT OUR CLASSIC VERSION BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Pbirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:20   #7
Pbirv

If we can get enough people behind this, maybe we can induce them to re-install the Classic Shoutcast option.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:39   #8
Pbirv

Just started a Facebook page for those who want the classic view back.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Wan...35753356504548
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:55   #9
DrO

[all following comments are my own opinion]

the new large listing maybe is a bit too big, but like Egg shows, the new 'classic' style isn't that bad at all (and personally it seems to respond better than the old views did).

yes having it follow the Winamp theming, some of the menu actions and SAYT would be good to have back but it is otherwise usable (and isn't much different from the main site which is usable as well).

yes some of the layout isn't as great as it can be but i can understand why certain aspects have been placed / done as they have been (as it's not ideal when using a smaller view) but having all of the results shown on a single page doesn't help things (which any of the original classic and even going back to the non-web based versions did which made it a pig to find things).

hopefully things will be smoothed out to improve the integration / screen usage but otherwise i'm struggling to see how it's the 'spawn of the devil' as seems to be the impression coming out - something which was said about the previous changes by a lot more people in a far shorter time with earlier releases so either few people have noticed / care / can be bothered to post about it compared to last time.

[edit]
and now i've seen the post about a facebook page to get it back - ergh, that stuff just never really works and irks me like a lot of the online social media gumpfh. am guessing next we'll be seeing a class-action or something inane like that.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:20   #10
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeCT View Post
Agreed...Why is there no option to "Show All" stations on one page...now you have 23 pages or more to flip through...DUMB!

Every time I load Winamp...I no longer get my genre of music (what I last viewed)...I'm brought to "Most Popular"...not cool or convenient.

It isn't "eye candy" at all it's hideous.

And the designers NEVER touch any other area like "Shoutcast TV" (that always stays in the same format.) ONLY Shoutcast gets this crap.

"Popular Tag" looks like freak'n ish...seriously guys that mess is down right wrong.

The whole thing is f@cked up looking and there is no functionality anymore...this just goes to show how AOL is hell bent on ruining everything they have a name on.
Why do you guys do this???
That's what happens when Big Business gets a hold of anything. They turn it to crap.

AOL just joined with Slacker, so it sounds like they may be dumping Winamp. Maybe then Winamp can bring back the REAL classic Shoutcast option and the genre memory. Like a very wise person once said, "if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it".
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:43   #11
frank rabbit

i may be in the minority, but i way prefer the new look.
frank rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 05:36   #12
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank rabbit View Post
i may be in the minority
Like the Liechtenstein Army.
Old 4th July 2011, 06:33   #13
DrO

Pbirv: have a go at the features by all means but NOT other users!

-daz
Old 4th July 2011, 09:04   #14
Pbirv

I didn't mean anything personal, but from what I've seen, the number of people who actually approve the new setup looks pretty small. That's the point I was making. Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:17   #15
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
I've posted a bit on this in the 5.62 Release thread.

Although it will never entirely replace the old Classic view, a few small improvements could make a lot of difference to it's usefulness.

Remains to be seen if those improvements can be made.

UJ
The "New Classic View" reminds me a bit of the "New Classic Coke" that Coca-Cola came out with back around 1986. As I recall, that didn't pan out too well either.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:04   #16
lowrider007

Thanks DrO for pointing me to the more condensed listing option under 'Most popular' not perfect but still alot better than the default setting, I think I can live with it like that.
lowrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 15:15   #17
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

I think it looks a whole lot better than the old one.

Being a minority here just my 2cts about this.

as with all that has been changed over the years it will turn out for the better.

I still recall all who were against the winamp 5 version.

It's never created in a way everybody likes it.
Going by this thread it seems to me only one user has an issue with this version.

my advice , wait it out..........

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 16:10   #18
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
I think it looks a whole lot better than the old one.

Being a minority here just my 2cts about this.

as with all that has been changed over the years it will turn out for the better.

I still recall all who were against the winamp 5 version.

It's never created in a way everybody likes it.
Going by this thread it seems to me only one user has an issue with this version.

my advice , wait it out..........
Quite a few of us prefer being able to see all the station offerings on one page. Flipping pages over is a major pain in the butt. Nor does it help that the page numbers aren't listed above so that one can go from say, page 1 to page 4 without having to flip thru pages 2 and 3.

And as GeorgeCT pointed out, we can't get our genre of music (what we last viewed). Instead we get brought to "Most Popular". And the "Find as you type" is gone. Not cool or convenient.
Old 6th July 2011, 16:20   #19
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbirv View Post
Flipping pages over is a major pain in the butt.
not if you're running on a small screen where scrolling is then a pain in the butt (as you put it).

Quote:
Nor does it help that the page numbers aren't listed above so that one can go from say, page 1 to page 4 without having to flip thru pages 2 and 3.
Finally a sensible suggestion on how to improve the view - probably best placed to the right of the 'recently played' item i'd have thought.

-daz
Old 6th July 2011, 17:01   #20
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... Finally a sensible suggestion on how to improve the view - probably best placed to the right of the 'recently played' item i'd have thought ...
-daz
To be fair, Pbirv has mentioned this idea already in the 5.62 Release thread, which pre-dates this one.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=332010

Starts around post #10 and onward.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 20:47   #21
Pbirv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
not if you're running on a small screen where scrolling is then a pain in the butt (as you put it).
Even on my 7 x 5 screen netbook, scrolling is preferable to flipping pages. You and a couple others may not mind flipping pages, but I find it time consuming and quite inconvenient.
Old 7th July 2011, 01:51   #22
Pbirv

Quote:
Even on my 7 x 5 screen netbook, scrolling is preferable to flipping pages. You and a couple others may not mind flipping pages, but I find it time consuming and quite inconvenient.
One thing I've always liked about Winamp over the other players is that all the stations within a genre were listed on one page, and no other player that I know of has had anywhere near the number of stations available, nor the memory function that remembers your genre. It's been my media player of choice ever since I first got a computer nearly 8 years ago, and while I've had my share of technical or installation issues, I've never really had cause to complain about the layout or setup until now.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:04   #23
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Suggestions for improvment

Here are my thoughts, for whatever it's worth:

1) When you have more than one page of results; place another copy of the < Page 1 of XX > at the *TOP* of the list as well. When you have 100 listings per page; having to scroll to the bottom to turn the page is, well, silly.

2) Since you have a 'settings' sprocket, new options for :
a) 'Preferred View' ( detailed / list )
b) 'Preferred Views per Page' ( 5,10,20,30,50,100 , ALL )
c) 'Popular Tags' ( enable / disable ) 'with it disabled increase the page width'

3) Return the functionality of 'last view' on Winamp restart or 'Tab return'. Switching off from Online Services -> Shoutcast Radio and Switching back in the same session should not require a re-search, my last view should be there.

4) Since it's clear that all pages are loaded into Client Memory, a 'show all' button would be nice as well. (it doesn't need to be default, but it sure would be nice). An example is any Wired.com story provides 'pages' and 'view as single page' options.

5) When you 'clear' the search bar and hit return, a nasty dialog pops up and locks up the view with a '() Loading' status. Should a search of nothing default to the 'Most Popular' view? Or better yet, do nothing?

6) The ability to 'Un-bookmark' an item.

7) The view should check bookmarks and set the 'bookmark star' for items already bookmarked. (If you bookmark an item that is already bookmarked, it's now duplicated.)

8) How do I sort/filter by Codec? I prefer to listen to AAC+ streams at a lower bitrate because the quality is better and I can save bandwidth.

9) How does a station qualify for/asked to be 'Featured' ?