Old 4th September 2013, 22:46   #1
brooklynsteve

Streaming Winamp

I would like to stream Winamp locally in my home. I looked at AjaxAMP software (http://www.ajaxamp.com/index) while it looks like it could do the job, its last revision was over 3 years ago. They don't include support for FLAC, my encode format of choice.

Is there another software package you would recommend. Please keep in mind that I have little networking experience so ease of setup is a consideration.

Great forum. I really appreciate all the help. You all make Winamp shine...
Steve
brooklynsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 10:17   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
describe precisely the scenario / usage case you envision, as "stream winamp" could mean many things.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 12:40   #3
brooklynsteve

Scenario

In my office I have Winamp and my music on a external hard drive. I would like to, via WI-fi, be able to remotely control basic Winamp functions, e.g. select play list, play, stop, pause, etc. from a laptop in our family room. Feeding the Winamp decoded audio from the laptop in our family room to our stereo.

My tracks are all FLAC encoded.
Thanks again.
Steve
Old 6th September 2013, 13:45   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

sorry, but you are unclear.

somewhere you have a stereo, yes? and this stereo has a laptop hardwired to it? yes or no?

assuming yes, you could fire up winamp on that laptop, and then use an android device to control it via wifi. I use aWAR for that.

if u have two laptops, u could setup windows remote desktop, or vnc, or logmein, or whatever u feel suits u to allow one computer to control the second.

if u want to send the music to the stereo over wifi without a laptop connected, u will need to provide more info, and what stereo gear u have, & some idea of how u plan to do it.

--
Old 6th September 2013, 16:06   #5
brooklynsteve

Clarifications

My apologizes for being unclear.

somewhere you have a stereo, yes? and this stereo has a laptop hardwired to it? yes or no?

I have an extra laptop that I will wire to my stereo in the family room.

assuming yes, you could fire up winamp on that laptop, and then use an android device to control it via wifi. I use aWAR for that.

After I get music playing I fully intend to remote the player (laptop) with an android device, thanks for the tip re aWAR.

if u have two laptops, u could setup windows remote desktop, or vnc, or logmein, or whatever u feel suits u to allow one computer to control the second.

Yes, that is a consideration, the question how to get (stream?) the music to the second computer (laptop) - is AjaxAMP software (http://www.ajaxamp.com/index) not a good idea?

My goal with this post is to send the music from the computer in my office to the laptop in the family room via Wi-fi. If this is not practical at this time Plan B would be to move the portable drive with Winamp and my music on it to the family room.
Thanks
Steve
Old 6th September 2013, 16:44   #6
kennetandersson

I am having the same situation here :S please tell me if you have any solution, thanks!
kennetandersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 16:55   #7
brooklynsteve

Will do Ken, that's what "community" is all about
Steve
Old 6th September 2013, 23:22   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

maybe I don't understand...

but if you have a laptop hardwired to your stereo (good idea imo) and the music connected to that laptop, all you have to do is share the music folders on the network. i.e. make the music files available to anyone on your network / workgroup.

then, once available, map the network resource (the files) to a drive letter on the 2nd laptop, and have winamp point its "watch folders" pref to that drive letter.

I think if you do it that way, it would be best to hardwire the stereo laptop to the router as well (via Ethernet), so you only have one wifi hop.

is this not possible for you?

btw, I recently got a ASUS AC66r router that, like many higher end routers these days, has USB ports to enable printer and file sharing. what kind of router do you have?

--
Old 7th September 2013, 17:12   #9
brooklynsteve

Thank You MrSinatra For A Solution

I considered setting up the hard drive with my music on the network (too hard for my wife to use) but something you wrote earlier sparked a simple but elegant solution.

You wrote "use an android device to control it via wifi. I use aWAR for that." So, I just setup aWAR-Pro on my Android and it works great. For the solution on how to get the audio to the family room I just ordered over ebay an AV Wireless Transmitter Receiver (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40).

I'll let you all know how well it works when it arrives.

Thanks again MrSinatra
Steve
Old 11th September 2013, 04:48   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynsteve View Post
I considered setting up the hard drive with my music on the network (too hard for my wife to use) but something you wrote earlier sparked a simple but elegant solution.
how so? if you map a drive letter to the network location and point winamp watch folders to it, the effect is transparent to her. or do you mean in some other way?

Quote:
You wrote "use an android device to control it via wifi. I use aWAR for that." So, I just setup aWAR-Pro on my Android and it works great.
yeah, aWAR is fantastic. but it is only a remote control to a winamp install, it doesn't appear to me to really address the issue:

Quote:
For the solution on how to get the audio to the family room I just ordered over ebay an AV Wireless Transmitter Receiver (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40).

I'll let you all know how well it works when it arrives.

Thanks again MrSinatra
Steve
np.

i'll be curious to hear this, b/c several things occur to me.

the first is that what you got looks to me to be an outboard sound card with RF capability. I hope its fully digital, but that issue aside, it seems to be a second sound card.

if true, you will have to constantly tell the winamp on the laptop by the stereo which sound card to use, the internal hardwired to the stereo, or the RF one. maybe a plugin will make that easy, allow you to remote control it, but idk.

also, even if you can figure out how to send (and keep sync'd) the audio simultaneously to the stereo and the remote location, (assuming that's a goal), you won't have the ability to have different music playing in each location. so whatever is on in one, has to be on in the other.

if I wanted my music on different devices, i'd try to put it in a network location that allowed individual and separate access. the sync issue is a tricky one then if that matters to you, but there are ways to adjust for that. it is possible your item allows for multiple receivers with one xmtr for instance, although sync'ing digitally is harder than via analog.

--
Old 16th September 2013, 15:44   #11
brooklynsteve

Really Works Well!

I put in my wireless Winamp music distribution system online for the first time yesterday. Couldn't be happier the way it works. I just ordered more receivers to put the system in to more areas in the house. The secret is the aWAR-Pro app for my android that controls the whole system (thank you MrSinatra). When the system is complete (components are coming from China) I will write a post of what I did and the components I used.
Steve
Old 27th September 2013, 06:32   #12
MarkRH

I use AjaxAMP to play my music at my parent's house over the internet. But, yeah, you're right, it can't handle FLAC files. I just tried it out. It doesn't stream those across...bummer. If all you were trying to do is control the Winamp interface on the other PC, then it would work.

Probably a bit more secure than using something that can control your whole PC.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion