Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 00:51   #121
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
its not in the changelog, but u fixed the rating not updating in the top center pane when rating an m4a in the ML! kudos to DrO who I suspect did it, and won't appreciate my thx.

I am seeing some strange business in the cloud section however, notice in the screenshot the weird code. I had this before in previous versions as well, but after a while it seemingly went away on its own. I suspect this might as well given time. whats going on?

also, please see the discussion regarding the icons in the cloud column under the "Library" section of the nav tree, (what used to be Media Library)

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....54#post2924354

looking forward to testing this out, and now that ALAC is included by default for playback, I hope someone feels motivated to get the encoder in there as well.

EDIT:

forgot the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cloud2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	50410  

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 9th April 2013, 05:53   #122
lostinsound

I installed the new build and all of my playlists disappeared from the left pane of the Media Library. The playlists were still in AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml but it looks like the playlist location read by Winamp has been moved to their own directory in AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists. I dragged the playlists.xml file as well as all the playlists into that directory and it seems to be working ok.

Is it going to be like this for good now? Just wondering since with aWARemote for android the playlists don't show up within the app anymore. If it's going to be a permanent change I'll send a message to the developer.
Old 9th April 2013, 06:05   #123
MrSinatra
Forum King

I suspect it will remain that way, for the cloud, but its just a guess. awars dev is good, i'm sure he'll fix. personally, I like things well organized to specific folders.

--
Old 9th April 2013, 07:56   #124
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
About to install this new beta build this afternoon when I come home. Anyway, I already read the whole changelog and, as nearly always, some questions have come up:

- [in_wave] MIME Type support for WAV (audio/wav)

If you now support this MIME Type, wouldn't it be more consequent to support all well-known MIME-Types for .WAV? Apart from audio/wav there are also audio/x-wav, audio/vnd.wave and audio/wave floating around there...

- [cloud] Changed cloud streams to use http instead of https

Why? This sounds as if cloud is not so secure any more? If I upload my media files (which is a pretty "private" thing, as for the selection of music etc.), I would really prefer to do this over a secure connection... am I the only one? (Apart from that, I'm not going to use cloud at all, but that thought came into my mind as I read this line in the changelog...)

- [ml_playlists] migrate playlists.xml and relevant plf***.m3u8 playlists from Plugins\ml to Plugins\ml\playlists

That's sad, as it eventually breaks backward-forward-moving compability to some of my old Winamp 5.56 installations. I synced the ml folder between 5.56 and 5.63 installations on different PCs without problems, which is now over... okay. Nothing to complain about, I guess, I'll have to go to 5.7 on all machines you'll say... And you're right

Anyway, well done and I'm glad to see so many fixes on the list, can't wait to try it out.

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 9th April 2013, 11:58   #125
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
I installed the new build and all of my playlists disappeared from the left pane of the Media Library. The playlists were still in AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml but it looks like the playlist location read by Winamp has been moved to their own directory in AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists. I dragged the playlists.xml file as well as all the playlists into that directory and it seems to be working ok.
may need a copy of your playlists.xml as it should have migrated from the old location to the new location. had a Plugins\ml\playlists folder been created before you manually moved things ?

Quote:
Is it going to be like this for good now? Just wondering since with aWARemote for android the playlists don't show up within the app anymore. If it's going to be a permanent change I'll send a message to the developer.
the location and format of how and where things are stored in the settings folder has _always_ been subject to change. this would be the 4th alteration to ml playlists and how and where it saves things since the introduction of the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
- [in_wave] MIME Type support for WAV (audio/wav)

If you now support this MIME Type, wouldn't it be more consequent to support all well-known MIME-Types for .WAV? Apart from audio/wav there are also audio/x-wav, audio/vnd.wave and audio/wave floating around there...
not possible with how in_wave is currently implemented so unfortunately the generic mime is used. and really this is just for some internal aspects so like with the playlists stuff, it can and will change over time and also with what and how it is used internally. as such i wouldn't worry about it or anything do with it.

Quote:
- [cloud] Changed cloud streams to use http instead of https

Why? This sounds as if cloud is not so secure any more? If I upload my media files (which is a pretty "private" thing, as for the selection of music etc.), I would really prefer to do this over a secure connection... am I the only one? (Apart from that, I'm not going to use cloud at all, but that thought came into my mind as I read this line in the changelog...)
sometimes i think we just need to put less in the interim changelogs as again this is an implementation detail. it does not mean your media is any less secure as this is just for streaming uploaded files to a client which you basically need to authorised on the Cloud to be to access the url needed anyway. maybe it'll change again later on, but for streaming from the cloud server, https does not add any benefit, just extra overhead on the server when it's not really needed. everything else done on the server is via https so personal details, etc are secure.

Quote:
- [ml_playlists] migrate playlists.xml and relevant plf***.m3u8 playlists from Plugins\ml to Plugins\ml\playlists

That's sad, as it eventually breaks backward-forward-moving compability to some of my old Winamp 5.56 installations. I synced the ml folder between 5.56 and 5.63 installations on different PCs without problems, which is now over... okay. Nothing to complain about, I guess, I'll have to go to 5.7 on all machines you'll say... And you're right
i've already covered most of this above in reply to lostinsound. additionally moving it all into a single folder is so it is easier to backup and move around as needed (and is something that should have been done when we moved from settings in gen_ml.ini to playlists.xml but alas that's hindsight for you). I believe koopa's backup tool will be made to deal with this, though really if you're using old Winamp versions once 5.7 goes final, then like it's always been there won't be support for those old versions and you would be on your own.

irrespective of the dis-like people actually posting have towards the cloud aspect, we're trying to ensure that there are a decent set of fixes and improvements (including stability improvements) for non-cloud users (though i'm still waiting for the 2.x zealots to come out and bitch about things).
Old 9th April 2013, 12:07   #126
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO
it does not mean your media is any less secure as this is just for streaming uploaded files to a client which you basically need to authorised on the Cloud to be to access the url needed anyway.
Okay, thanks for clarification! It was not so clear from the changelog, but in this case it's clear that https wouldn't add any benefit there...

Regarding the playlist issue, it's not such a big problem, I'll move on to 5.7 when it's out on all clients, I think. Just makes sense, as the video tearing bug (apparently) has been fixed and moreover, I also use VLC on those older PCs now for video.

The gen_ml.ini -> playlists.xml migration has long been done for me, and was a big advantage

Thanks very much for all the information! Will test soon.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:20   #127
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Playlists: I have been slinging the Beta on top of my main ancient install of Winamp Pro. In this case there is all kinds of trash in the Winamp folders. So I like the idea of moving the playlists to one tidy location.

For me most of the playlists have been migrated - but there are three that got missed.

No idea why these three were treated different. If the files were moved as a wildcard of *.m3u8 then I would have expected these three to also have moved with all the rest.

Or were the only ones moved those found in the left hand panel? Therefore implying that these three "lost" playlists were not actually part of Winamp?

If the latter option, then this makes sense and not an issue. Just shows how much mess in my %appdata%\winamp folder
Old 9th April 2013, 12:45   #128
DrO

anything which is left in the main folder would likely be orphaned playlists i.e. not known in playlists.xml. this is usually from the playlists.xml file not being correctly written on exit or from a Winamp crash at some point in the past so it couldn't be correctly stored.

as the migration only moves what can be recognised as current from the playlists.xml (and is not known to be external of the current Winamp settings folder) so it should match with what is known in playlists.xml less any manually added / external playlist files.

there's a number of other settings files which should be moved around to clean up things (e.g. the Plugins\ml\*.vmd files into Plugins\ml\views would be more sensible) but that just complicates updates more than i'd like to do at the moment.

not that it really matters to most users as it's just an implementation detail and in 99.9% of cases, there should be no reason to have to go into the settings folder. and with a larger version number bump, it's about the most applicable time to break things is needed (and if it breaks plug-ins / external tools then so be it as i've been through it myself too many times by assuming things about the implementation which is not ever guaranteed to stay the same).
Old 9th April 2013, 13:04   #129
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

That makes sense then. I recognise one of these playlists as really old and don't think I have seen it in Winamp for a while. Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 13:11   #130
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Keep on your good cleanup work, daz. I'll update all of my tools.

And I'm one of these guys, who visit their settings folder very often, hehe.

for the implementation of the gen_wolfgang hotkey.

-Chris
Old 9th April 2013, 13:41   #131
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
may need a copy of your playlists.xml as it should have migrated from the old location to the new location. had a Plugins\ml\playlists folder been created before you manually moved things ?
Yes the playlists folder as well as a playlists.xml file were created, but nothing was moved to the directory. I did uncheck the Cloud in the installer since I don't have time to test things with it right now and didn't want to bother with it. Not sure if that may be the issue. I've attached my playlists.xml file, but from what I can tell it looks fine.
Attached Files
File Type: xml playlists.xml (3.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 9th April 2013, 13:49   #132
DrO

the playlists.xml looks ok. will have to re-check the migration handling though there's checking in place to deal with funky paths, etc to ensure that things will be moved across ok as needed.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:02   #133
lostinsound

Quote:
the playlists.xml looks ok. will have to re-check the migration handling though there's checking in place to deal with funky paths, etc to ensure that things will be moved across ok as needed.
It looks like for me, if the Plugins/ml/playlists directory already exists and is completely empty everything migrates fine.

If the directory exists and already has a playlists.xml file in it, it doesn't move anything into it.

If the directory doesn't exist, it creates the directory but doesn't move anything into it.

This is the case for every start up too, not just on installation. Is no one else having this problem?
Old 9th April 2013, 15:21   #134
DrO

Quote:
It looks like for me, if the Plugins/ml/playlists directory already exists and is completely empty everything migrates fine.
the check is based on the existence of the playlists.xml file instead of the folder (but that might be causing some of the issue).

Quote:
If the directory exists and already has a playlists.xml file in it, it doesn't move anything into it.
that is intended so it doesn't mess up things - as once there's a plugins\ml\playlists\playlists.xml then that is the main instance so the other one should not be used (irrespective of the issue at hand here).

Quote:
If the directory doesn't exist, it creates the directory but doesn't move anything into it.
i have now been able to replicate the issue but only when using the Bento skin.

so much for this being a silent change. will get it fixed and a new build pushed out once i've got a solution later today.

[edit]
koopa has confirmed a fix to the issue (was a quirk from load order differences) so will have a newer build out soon.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:59   #135
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
i have now been able to replicate the issue but only when using the Bento skin.

so much for this being a silent change. will get it fixed and a new build pushed out once i've got a solution later today.

[edit]
koopa has confirmed a fix to the issue (was a quirk from load order differences) so will have a newer build out soon.
That's good news. I was about to report the same problem (creates new directory but doesn't move existing files to it) for the cPro modern skin.

When the fix is released, can I test it by moving my playlist and playlist.xml files back to their old location and deleting the new directory before installing the update.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 9th April 2013, 16:07   #136
DrO

yes as long as you're not overwriting a good playlists.xml first.
Old 9th April 2013, 16:52   #137
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Build 3364 is now up, with the playlists migration fix included

(3363 removed from server)

Thanks!!!
Old 9th April 2013, 17:18   #138
lostinsound

Just tested it and it works great. And sorry, I should have specified right away that I was using Bento skin.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:26   #139
Aminifu
Forum King

Build 3364 migrates the playlist files just fine for the cPro skins too.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 9th April 2013, 17:41   #140
MrSinatra
Forum King

I am having some crash issues, which seem to be getting reported.

most, but not all of my music is on a USB drive. I have tried to highlight files in the tracks pane, that are on the internal drive, and on SOME files, when I do a right click, "read metadata on selected files" it crashes winamp seemingly everytime. on some others, it doesn't. normal mp3s, no idea whats going on there.

in addition, if you don't have the USB drive connected, when you click on "local library" under "cloud sources" it takes a long time and uses a lot of cpu power! it may do the same when the USB is connected as well, i'll test.

EDIT: I had to fix the above to make it clearer. also, if you try to read metadata on files not currently available to winamp, the error goes by so quick you can't see it, and winamp eventually crashes. whats really odd to me though, is it crashes even on some files that ARE there.

EDIT 2: actually, my error reports aren't getting sent. I think I need you to let me be able to set the port to use what google wants for smtp. also, even with the USB drive connected, I am getting crashes reading metadata. and it doesn't improve load time for clicking local library under cloud sources either.

--
Old 9th April 2013, 18:25   #141
MrSinatra
Forum King

it seems to be the act of selecting multiple files in the tracks pane winamp doesn't like. I did that, but this time tried to upload to the cloud, and got a crash.

can anyone reproduce any of this?

--
Old 9th April 2013, 20:32   #142
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

MrS: On the crash - does your Read Metadata crash only happen on your clouded files? Or non-cloud files as well?

I took a sample set of files. In my case they are sitting on my server. Read the metadata of those files with no trouble. MP3s and FLACs.

Selected them as a CTRL+A. Also did a multi-select with CTRL and SHIFT modifiers in different combos. No crashes or lockups.

Then repeated the above after I pulled the network lead from the server. This is therefore putting those same files "offline" in the same way your USB drive is offline when powered off. Reading metadata now hung for a few seconds on the "1 of 43" dialog. After a timeout, it the shot through the rest and knew to not wait on the other..

I have zero cloud here though. No Facebook so no cloud testing yet.

I am assuming that your whole collection is just about perfect on tagging. So narrowing down which of those files were crashing would be an interesting result. All of my test files in this sample were ripped and tagged with Winamp.

I also assume that you have used Get Metadata from Selected many times before without crashes on these same files.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:38   #143
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Essentials Pack v5.7 Beta2 is now available, changes since last Beta:

Quote:
* Removed obsolete 'Apple Lossless Playback' (now part of Winamp)
* Updated: 'Lite-n Winamp Preferences' to v1.71
* Misc: Increased Minimal Required Winamp version to v5.7.0.3364
-Chris
Old 9th April 2013, 20:41   #144
MrSinatra
Forum King

cloud or not doesn't seem to matter but my testing is on my local files not on the cloud. if I do "read metadata on selected files" on files that are internal or usb, I am very likely to get a crash. however, some don't crash it, while others do.

they should all be pristine. some are older, some newer. some don't cause a crash, but MOST do.

if I do just one file from a bad batch, some work, some don't. not sure how consistent.

something is def up. I have never had winamp crash from a simple reading of metadata before.

try doing a mass read of say 1000 files?

EDIT: or, maybe b/c you DON'T do the cloud stuff u aren't seeing the issue?

--
Old 9th April 2013, 21:27   #145
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Lets look for differences in Metadata options maybe? A key one in my head is the ratings. I don't use them. So hardly have any rated files, and those are only rated in the database. (With a few rated via Windows and the odd files from friends of random source)

This code has changed, so could it being upset at the different way it is reading the ratings?

Just read a random 3200 files without bugging out.
Old 9th April 2013, 21:41   #146
MrSinatra
Forum King

u posted just as I did an edit, see above.

the crash happens to me on rated or unrated files.

--
Old 9th April 2013, 21:50   #147
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

There is a possibility that the cloud side tries to update. Are you logged into the cloud at the time (Or does Winamp always stay logged in?)

Can't think of anything else to throw in as a suggestion as I can't repeat it with my music collection on the ground in my front room.
Old 9th April 2013, 21:54   #148
MrSinatra
Forum King

yeah, once in the cloud u seem to always be connected to it. it does a pull like once a minute, which i'm not really comfortable with, as that seems too frequent and i'm not sure what all it does.

i'm not sure to what degree the cloud can be stopped, logged out of, once established, or if that would reverse the bug vs never having been in the cloud, (assuming the cloud has anything to do with it to begin with)

--
Old 9th April 2013, 23:13   #149
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
After installing 3364 on top of 3363 I found that Always-On-Top had been mysteriously activated without my knowledge when I switched from Winamp Classic to Winamp Modern. I unchecked it but it still stayed top-most.

After restarting, Always-On-Top didn't work at all after switching between classic and modern skins.

After a third restart, everything started working normally even after a ton of skin switches.

Odd.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_09.04.2013.html.zip (18.6 KB, 154 views)
Old 9th April 2013, 23:27   #150
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
I have a two monitor set up and I keep winamp on the second monitor using Windows 7.
when I open the preferences, it opens on the first monitor. I slide the preferences window over to the second monitor and then close it.
Then when I open the preferences again, it will open on the first monitor again. I am not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but I thought that I would mention it.

Thanks
Juanus
Old 9th April 2013, 23:36   #151
DrO

Juanus: that's not intended behaviour. it's mean to open over the main window with respect to the top left corner of the main window. could be something to do with a video card driver messing with things (as the placement is left to the OS to do). i assume this is not something new that you've been experiencing ?

thinktink: cannot see anything jumping out. and there's nothing in the code changes between 3363 and 3364 (was a one line change in playlist.w5s) which could even start to explain the behaviour. sunspots is my only answer.
Old 9th April 2013, 23:37   #152
MrSinatra
Forum King

I think it is intended, b/c what if the next time u use winamp u have no 2nd monitor?

it would be good if winamp could sense it, but this way is fail proof, assuming i'm right.

EDIT: did not see DrO's post, ignore me.

--
Old 9th April 2013, 23:48   #153
djpete
Major Dude

I get the following error message when upgrading to latest version. Had to do clean install. Updated again today and same thing again.

I dont install any of the new features when I install.
Maybe this is why?

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 9th April 2013, 23:58   #154
DrO

djpete1959: can you send me a copy of your install.ini (in the Winamp install folder) and also an Info Report (from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins). is likely we've not gotten one of the dll dependencies working correctly in the install process.
Old 10th April 2013, 00:02   #155
djpete
Major Dude

bugger I just went back to earlier version and all good.
I can redo it all again if needed. It was just a straight upgrade though and did it twice so should not be hard to find.

Let me know if you want me to reproduce scenario again and send files

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 00:03   #156
DrO

please do.
Old 10th April 2013, 00:04   #157
djpete
Major Dude

ok

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 00:07   #158
djpete
Major Dude

damn. sorry it didnt do it this third time. all went well

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 00:11   #159
DrO

rightio. do you now have a nxlite.dll present in the root of the Winamp folder ? as that's the most likely cause of the failure (based against dll dependency changes between 5.63 and 5.7).
Old 10th April 2013, 00:14   #160
djpete
Major Dude

hang on I got it.
When I re installed I accidentally left cloud checked ON so thats why no probs.
Reinstalled without cloud and issue reproduced.

So the issue is simple.
To reproduce just install without cloud and it should do it.

I know the whole idea is to test it WITH cloud but just thought I would mention that if it's unchecked it causes the error. I'm sure this will be fixed before release. It did upgrade a few betas back ok though without cloud.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion