Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd November 2013, 12:28   #41
rvrbnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
DrO and a Winamp user have already started a replacement forum (in case one will be needed). Check the 5th bullet in the 1st post above under "What is lost" and in joebloggscity's post #37.
I've seen that. Thanks. We currently run a large and active forum for our software. You could see more by searching jriver + forum. (I'm not sure I can or should post a link).

We would leave it up to the Winamp community whether to keep a forum completely separate or as a board under our forum. I registered ampwin.com for this purpose. It isn't live yet.

This may all be history if Microsoft is truly interested. I'm still trying to find out whether AOL has any interest in preserving the Winamp community.
rvrbnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:35   #42
siebe83
Forum King

Nice summary, sticky?

I'm curious to see how things go from here, fixes and plugin development, Winamp lives on!!
The greatest loss will probably be the forums... winampforum.com is a nice replacement, but to migrate an entire community? Will be hard.. :S

Anyway, keep up the good work, Darren and others!

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 08:04   #43
mjbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
This has just been dealt with. I have dumped all 2971 skins (1600mb) and 1049 Plugins (512mb) on my harddrive (Files, HTML doc and Pictures).
Hmm...when browsing by Just Added or Recently Modified, I only get listings for 2943 skins and 966 plugins. Where did your additional ones come from?

What about visualizations? Looks like there are 2779 of them. Have you archived those?

Did you save the complete comments (or any comments) for each plugin page? The comments on each plugin/visualization page are paginated, dynamically loaded 5 at a time via JavaScript.

To anyone else archiving... you may have noticed you can change the value of the "winamp_cookie_addon_page_limit" cookie to set the number of skins/plugins/visualizations shown on each page when browsing. 3000 is too high, but 500 works...much better than the linked limit of 36.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 09:35   #44
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Well,

At least it is a bad idea for anyone to keep the store offline. After 20th December the site will be completely offline, but until then people would need license keys. There is no way to get them except you buy them (from the store which is offline?)...
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 09:44   #45
azerty2005

+ Pro features (unlocked in final version!)

Thanks you guys for this!
azerty2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 12:08   #46
xerax

I started to download plugins and skins from Winamp. Until now I have about 2600 plugins on my HDD and more than 17000 skins. (and I'm still working on it)
Any idea how to manage them after closing?
I can release a huge torrent file but I'm considering the developers and their rights.

Waiting for your ideas!
xerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 13:16   #47
Kaminari

You can beat a dead horse, but you can't kill the llama.
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 13:34   #48
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerax View Post
I started to download plugins and skins from Winamp. Until now I have about 2600 plugins on my HDD and more than 17000 skins. (and I'm still working on it)
I can release a huge torrent file but I'm considering the developers and their rights.

Waiting for your ideas!
@Xerax: Great to hear that! As for your question, just hold on, it is still early to say what should we be doing. One thing is certain; a lot of those plugins have been pointed out several times to be buggy and not always working, testing each of them would be ideal, but that is a long long long process.. right now it would be best to just download it all.

@azerty2005: I updated first post, sorry about that..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 13:42   #49
dj001

Windows Media Player has been completely deleted from Windows 8, and iTunes revamped to hype its Pandora knock-off.
dj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 16:42   #50
evil_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj001 View Post
Windows Media Player has been completely deleted from Windows 8, and iTunes revamped to hype its Pandora knock-off.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. It's still there.
Maybe you have an N version of the OS? Those don't contain multimedia features, but they can be installed manually. All you need to do is download and install the Media Feture Pack from Microsoft.
evil_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:02   #51
Xaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrown View Post
Hmm...when browsing by Just Added or Recently Modified, I only get listings for 2943 skins and 966 plugins. Where did your additional ones come from?

What about visualizations? Looks like there are 2779 of them. Have you archived those?

Did you save the complete comments (or any comments) for each plugin page? The comments on each plugin/visualization page are paginated, dynamically loaded 5 at a time via JavaScript.

To anyone else archiving... you may have noticed you can change the value of the "winamp_cookie_addon_page_limit" cookie to set the number of skins/plugins/visualizations shown on each page when browsing. 3000 is too high, but 500 works...much better than the linked limit of 36.
1. I don't know, its a bit weird... the file says the same numbers as you did, however i got more folders than that in the actual dump folder...

2. I haven't saved the visualization so far, but I can easily do that.

3. No comments saved, too much effort, I don't think they are worth it.

4. Yup the cookie trick works, however it doesn't really matter to the program how many pages it has to process.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:50   #52
hkdio

Can we collect all winamp plug-ins / skins / old version / sdk / etc....
index and distribute them on BT as a mega pack
hkdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:53   #53
sheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
The winamp sites are now being harvested, and at this moment can be viewed being captured
http://archivebot.at.ninjawedding.org:4567/

The forums and wiki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
Well it looks like the Web Archive has finished harvesting. "No jobs pending"
What's the "Web Archive"? I'm guessing not web.archive.org.
sheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:57   #54
sheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdio View Post
Can we collect all winamp plug-ins / skins / old version / sdk / etc....
index and distribute them on BT as a mega pack
Why not? Old versions are also available on oldversion.com and oldapps.com.
sheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:57   #55
dj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_pro View Post
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. It's still there.
Maybe you have an N version of the OS? Those don't contain multimedia features, but they can be installed manually. All you need to do is download and install the Media Feture Pack from Microsoft.
I tried both 64 and 86 versions. Both "not applicable on this computer."
Old 25th November 2013, 08:50   #56
mjbrown

Quote:
No comments saved, too much effort, I don't think they are worth it.
Well, it's good thing other people are working on it, then. The comments tell me if something's buggy or worth a try; I find them valuable.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 09:26   #57
dj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj001 View Post
What I meant to say about Windows 8 is that Microsoft has deleted the Media Guide entirely from the Windows Media Player.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:21   #58
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggscity View Post
come on all, start registering and helping out:

http://winampforum.com/index.php
can't due to php issues. I can not finish my registration because the Verification images doesn't appear.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 10:55   #59
hkdio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheh View Post
Why not? Old versions are also available on oldversion.com and oldapps.com.
oldversion.com does have any plug-in

I've tried using HTTrack to backup Winamp plugin, seems that plug-ins executable downloading are hindered by javascript.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:17   #60
hkdio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
@Xerax: Great to hear that! As for your question, just hold on, it is still early to say what should we be doing. One thing is certain; a lot of those plugins have been pointed out several times to be buggy and not always working, testing each of them would be ideal, but that is a long long long process.. right now it would be best to just download it all.

@azerty2005: I updated first post, sorry about that..
@Xerax: Thanks, I also wanna do this but I have no time (I will take CCIE lab exam after xmas) , please include all plugin description too.

@ Victhor: May be we can create a list based on version and create a compatible list for every plugin. Winamp owns a lot of legacy 8-bit music plugins (atari, NES , SNES, SEGA etc.) which made itself impossible replaced by other players.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:21   #61
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon snowflake View Post
can't due to php issues. I can not finish my registration because the Verification images doesn't appear.
Yeah, djpete1959 started tinkering with stuff (rearranging some things per user requests). He should have things straightened out in a few hours.

Some people are also having problems receiving their verification emails. Sometimes it goes to their spam bucket or doesn't arrive at all. If you don't receive yours, PM djpete1959 on this forum.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:21   #62
Xaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerax View Post

Waiting for your ideas!

Are you sure your dumping program is working correctly? It's quite unlikely that you got nearly 10x as many skins and 4x as many plugins as i have.

there are 327 x 9 = 2943 skins on the download page, that coresponds better to my number.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:59   #63
hkdio

Quote:
Are you sure your dumping program is working correctly? It's quite unlikely that you got nearly 10x as many skins and 4x as many plugins as i have.

there are 327 x 9 = 2943 skins on the download page, that coresponds better to my number.
A lot of v2 skin has been deleted by nullsoft eariler, although they can used on v5.

Such my favourite Love-hina and Kimagure Orange road skin.
I downloaded them on 2000 and no longer downloading them nor search them now.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Lp...REemV5NEk/edit
Old 25th November 2013, 13:11   #64
hkdio

Quote:

I hope the dumping program can also retrieve the old skin too.

A lot of pre v4 skin has been disappear from Winamp site long ago.

Such as my favourite love-hina and Kimagore Orange Road skins
url: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2L...xyUTREemV5NEk/

I download it from Winamp site at y2k, but no longer able to download them now.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:49   #65
OlexijL

@site admins:

-offtopic question: Why don't you keep the winamp pro store online until december 20th? I actually need for a friend a key. I don't have it, and do you really suggest to use any nonlegal sources?

As i said on the forum before, taking the store offline BEFORE the site goes offline is stupid. People who did not buy winamp before, could need a key now.
If you took the site's store offline, please make it possible to buy the key until the 20th december in another way.

Sorry for offtop.

Now will there be any corrected winamp 5.66 version with fixed russian unicode bug?
Old 25th November 2013, 16:56   #66
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlexijL View Post
-offtopic question: Why don't you keep the winamp pro store online until december 20th? I actually need for a friend a key. I don't have it, and do you really suggest to use any nonlegal sources?
see (and specifically my last sentance in) http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....33#post2977233
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 17:06   #67
OlexijL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
see (and specifically my last sentance in) http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....33#post2977233
Ok. If this is the case, please answer me how can i retrieve the valid key right now to unlock that features...?
Old 25th November 2013, 17:12   #68
DrO

you cannot, sorry. there is no official way to purchase the pro key anymore.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:02   #69
MadJack

In creating an online service, could this be done for Shoutcast as well? IOW can there be another service for SCTV and radio as well?
MadJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 22:21   #70
DrO

it can be done for anything you want (well within reason of taste and decency i'd say). it's more about having it do what's needed to integrate with Winamp (as was always the issue with getting people to do online services).

thought someone had already tried to do an SCTV replacement. as for SC Radio, it's handled separately of the other Online Services, i don't see there being a need for a clone version other than to have a native ui plug-in created instead to replicate the old 2.x / early 5.x style that was present.
Old 26th November 2013, 01:01   #71
fFrankNva

Maybe we should ask Mozilla if they will host WinAmp as an open source project. They too are an AOL orphan and have the chops to handle this small project.
fFrankNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 01:10   #72
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

They cannot host it as open source project, if no source code was released.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 05:13   #73
MadJack

Dr. No: Great. Thanks. I'm looking at creating one, a first attempt.
MadJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 05:19   #74
turgenjev1

Sad to hear.
turgenjev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 20:41   #75
Monochrome Sean

My concerns over what is about to be lost made me register here.
What I wanted to say initially, was that someone should kindly create a mirror with all the skins and plugins, so that they are not lost forever. All the effort of the numerous people who made all that content is worth saving.
Maybe a torrent?
Losing plugins especially might lead to a faster decline in Winamp's use. Shouldn't let that happen.

Huge thanks to Nullsoft for making Winamp and keeping it awesome all these years!
Monochrome Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 20:46   #76
DrO

that's already been done by all of the site scraping such as what archive.org now has for example.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:41   #77
Monochrome Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that's already been done by all of the site scraping such as what archive.org now has for example.
As far as i know, archive.org just copies the pages "externally". It doesn't copy scripts, the server-side sctructure like databases, and doesn't host any files, so you cannot perform searches or download anything from there. Therefore, it's not a convenient nor actually a usable example.
Monochrome Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 13:30   #78
DrO

i've been able to get downloads off there previously so assume that the same will be the case. also i said that others have done the same thing as well (as referenced earlier in this this thread as well mentioning how most of the plug-ins are broken with recent Windows and Winamp releases). so it's out there already if people want to get things in a less friendly manner.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:59   #79
Agorima

I have subscribed to this forum to say just "thanks" to all the people which developed this marvellous piece of art.

Now, I have seen this thread, and I have noticed that you were talking about saving skins and plugins.

But what about visualizations?

They must be saved as well as skins and plugins.
Agorima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 15:54   #80
Kigen

I'll miss Winamp. I always grew up using it.

p.s., Ya, I know its not going to stop working on Dec 20. But being unsupported will likely make me look elsewhere.
Kigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion