Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd December 2013, 08:31   #121
djpete
Major Dude

Yep fully agree.
It's info not everyone would know about so a sticky would be good.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 08:46   #122
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The different complexities of the different types of "free" software verses the most evil things on this planet - the lawyers. Where common sense breaks down and lawyers want their legal fees. Chasing the creators of VLC is tricky when you don't know where they live. But AOL? Easy... they have a postal address.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:20   #123
djpete
Major Dude

yes understand.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 3rd January 2014, 05:42   #124
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
Not sure why you think I may not like your answer DrO
Things are what they are, whether people like it or not.
(and yes I did only pick 1 point)

All issues have been covered nicely over a few well explained posts
Though personally I would have suggested that VLC be the example of why not to use FFMpeg. What a F*mess !
Using FFMpeg would seriously bloat Winamp.

I would suggest though that Winamp can easily do the same as WMP, and use the MP3 CoDec installed in the OS.
Winamp is capable of using DS CoDecs.
The MP3 licence for that has already been paid for. Why pay a second time ?
Shipping without an MP3 CoDec does not mean no MP3 playback, just not the 1 you want.

I already have the RareWares 32 and 64bit versions of Lame_enc.dll, ACM and DirectShow installed in Windows for other programs such as "Exact Audio Copy"
Surely the free Winamp could take advantage of previously installed CoDecs without it being a problem ?
Paying for Winamp can install/enable the missing MP4 and MP3 CoDecs if you don't have it. Business as normal.

Currently (or at any time) if I add a file extension for an already paid-for proprietary licensed format, to the Winamp DirectShow decoder, do I or Winamp then have to pay again for that privilege?

How does Apple deal with Quicktime and iTunes ?
2 sets of licences or 1 ?
Quicktime is the CoDec pack for iTunes. iTunes does not include extra CoDecs.

For me, this is all conjecture as already mentioned I use EAC for transcoding my CDs, and there is nothing I would gain from using the pro Winamp, or at least nothing I would use.
I use the Nero ASPI layer with EAC, never rip CDs above 4x, and find that using EXEs rather than the DLLs gives me better results with VBR files.

As I commonly use CLI tools, I did not think about the lack of a DLL for the Nero AAC CoDec, and as it is free but not Open Source there is no option to build one. Shame.
Although it is actually possible to use the DLLs installed with Nero, Winamp would probably need a bridge plugin.
Interesting note about tambourines. Mostly I have used it for rock and metal, but I'll have to check if I used it for any folk. I always use VBR and generally give enough headroom to capture everything, so I doubt it has been an issue.

I am familiar with the grey nature of the licensing nazis, but I am also familiar with the fact that buying and installing 1 DVD program (e.g. Nero or Roxio) and it's MPEG-2 CoDec, allows me to use it in other software without extra licensing, as it is after-all the CoDec that is licensed not the wrapper or utilization.
Though as pointed out it is not that straight-forward when you are actually paying to end-up with your chosen file in the licensed format, not the method with which it is converted.
Grey as a bucket of grey.

As the manager of a mashup label for free music, I have to look for the loop-holes while staying as legal as possible. This is why I look at all the options (good and bad).
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 10:04   #125
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Mmm.. I think I will ditch this thread soon, it doesn't make sense to keep it since the outcome of it all. And it's only wasting space & bits (since all of it is also in the archive.org records..), like the other RIP winamp, the petition one, etc..

PS: I was right when I left some space for doubts in the Shoutcast part (though I took it back later..)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 14:03   #126
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Why should this thread be ditched? It's a part of a history, the story about, that Winamp was in danger to die. I think, this thread should stay, although maybe other members wouldn't reply anymore. It will eventually disappear into oblivion.

Winamp has been saved. Maybe someone wants to read the whole story about that in a few years.

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 04:28   #127
benjay757

MusicIP

Hey all,

I use winamp religiously - for listening to music but also for editing thousands upon thousands mp3 tags for my profession. I would be lost without it!

One service that has been lost which is such a shame was the 'musicip' plugin that would analyze your music collection and generate playlists according to your mood. That seems to have gone now and so I'm trying to find an alternative or a work around.

Any ideas? I notice moodagent is also no longer available.

Thanks

Ben
benjay757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 04:32   #128
djpete
Major Dude

agree with Sabine.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 16th June 2014, 05:12   #129
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjay757 View Post
Any ideas? I notice moodagent is also no longer available.
The stand-alone MusicIP app v1.8.1b is still available (link below) and it works! It has been abandoned and it's on-line features no longer work, but it will still analyze your files and suggest a playlist based on a 'seed' file and the selected options. The analysis takes a long, long time without access to the former on-line database.

http://www.amplifindmusicservices.co.../downloads.php

Moodagent and a few other things can be added back manually (see link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=375338

PS.
Winamp's Gracenote supported tagging feature is also no longer working and a search for a new info provider is underway.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 11:36   #130
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
agree with Sabine.
Forgot to do it before, now I edited the first post (with a warning message for the entries from the search engines).
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion