Old 22nd November 2013, 22:02   #1
Nexussfire

Sell to Valve

If there is a company that would take good care of Winamp and could make good use of the resource, I think Valve (the game company/masters of Steam) would make good use of the software/source code.

The obvious potential draw back of that would be that future versions of Winamp might be plugged directly into Steam. For any PC gamer, not a bad thing in the slightest. However I think it's better than letting it rot in the dark nether of the internet or letting some other big corporation get their grubby hands on it.

Pitch it to them and I guarantee not only would they give you a good deal, but their "politics" wont get in the way of making good developments for winamp (Valveamp? SteamAmp?Half-Lamp?)

Plus, maybe a plus for them and their new OS coming that might need a media player?

I love winamp, been using it since I got my first computer back in.. 2001. Don't use anything else for music, if I can help it. Windows Media Player and other "alternatives" are far to clunky with library/playlist management IMO. If winamp had a better way to play movies without blowing the player window up to a ridiculous size, I'd use it for movies too.

Anyway.. anyone else thing that a Valve acquisition would be a good thing?
Nexussfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:37   #2
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:18   #3
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

How about being sold off to Microsoft? http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/sou...namp-from-aol/
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 11:43   #4
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanboy89 View Post
How about being sold off to Microsoft? http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/sou...namp-from-aol/

I think I'd rather see the old girl taken out back and put down gracefully than let Microsoft whore her out.

Well done whoever started that rumour, you just made Winamp shutting down the second worst option.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:25   #5
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Hah. Valve would be great. Launch Winamp from Steam.

And Microsoft isn't great but I don't see how they'd be worse than AOL

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:54   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

Winamp always existed on the edge of legality and sensibility. It is a sign of the times that creative people...
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 11:14   #7
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie View Post

I think I'd rather see the old girl taken out back and put down gracefully than let Microsoft whore her out.

Well done whoever started that rumour, you just made Winamp shutting down the second worst option.
That would be the end of the payer ... all they will want or use is the shoutcast resource and plug that into that god awful mess of a windows media player...

the best option I feel would be for Google to purchase it and wrap it into Chrome along with leaving the stand alone stuff we have at the moment (And the somewhat small community we have left) alone..

It's the only way i see that winamp would have a future and still retain it's autonomy to some degree.... It is the only real way to save winamp imho....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions