Old 30th January 2018, 15:06   #1
sqgl

Failover Router for Steady Source

"FailOver" routers are strictly a shoutcast topic but very relevant for many station owners. I will add to this as I learn more but hopefully someone already has experience to add.

I just bought a TP-Link MR3420 router which I connect my ADSL modem to as well as a USB 4G modem which gets "dialed" whenever the ADSL fails. This is known as "failover". But it takes 30-120 seconds for the switch-over and half my listener connections get dropped despite the backup mp3 (depends on the agent).

The next possibility is to buy a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter "X". Then I can plug my ADSL router into it and also the TP-Link router which can now be dedicated to 4G (no need to dial up each time). My source would go into the Ubiqiti and then either the ADSL or 4G (with preference given to the much cheaper ADSL).

The only problem is that it seems the failover is triggered by pinging 8.8.8.8 or (better yet) my ISP's DNS every ten seconds and switching over when there are three fails in a row. I don't know if I can reduce this to three pings of one second each. Not seamless but three seconds is better than my current "solution" of 30-120 seconds.

Remixing listener requests of ambient tracks live http://RePlayScape.com
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:44   #2
sqgl

Have spent hours researching and mikrotik routers are recommended too but both with Ubiquiti and Micktotik users are sharing variations of scripts to whittle down the swap time but there is no sure-fire way to make it below 15 seconds. Anyhow, my ADSL has one second glitches which do not warrant failover.

Have decided to stream my radio station via a 4G modem since I live in Australia.

This is the embarrassing situation Australia is in after the conservative government sabotaged fibre-to-the home roll-out initiated by the previous governing party. Firstly they could not stand the opposition party taking historic credit for nation building, and secondly they are doing Rupert Murdoch Foxtel a big favour (their cable being integrated into the now partial fibre network with the added benefit of delaying competition from startup media companies who cannot afford $100k for "personal" optic fibre connection). Google #Fraudband.

Remixing listener requests of ambient tracks live http://RePlayScape.com
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support