Old 9th October 2013, 12:33   #1
Bellzemos

How can I change the timing in Winamp display

Hello!

When I change the volume in Winamp the information on voulme % setting stays displayed there for about 2 seconds. How can I change that to 1 one or preferably even 0 seconds? In the old versions of Winamp that was the default setting.

Thanx!
Bellzemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 12:41   #2
DrO

that's not possible to disable and i assume (based on the comment) that you're using a classic skin and v5.65 ? as it was changed in that to be more like the modern skins as it was something i personally like and missed not being in classic skins (hence why i added it for my own benefit).

if you're using of the official 'modern' skins, you could always try to find the part that handles that and then disable it, but for classic skins, it's baked into the core (and call me selfish, but as mentioned above, i made that change for my benefit).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 14:35   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as it was changed in that to be more like the modern skins as it was something i personally like and missed not being in classic skins (hence why i added it for my own benefit).
I use the Windows overall volume control instead of the Winamp volume control, therefore I was not aware of this behavior.

Will you please state the benefit to you (other than you like it, if it's more than that) of, not displaying the percentage of change of the Winamp volume control as quickly (and accurately) as possible.

Are there other displays of Winamp controls change results that are deliberately delayed, that you are aware of?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 14:51   #4
Bellzemos

I use the classic skin and will continue to do so even if this means that there will be a 2 second delay every time I change the volume setting. But if there is a way to disable that delay - as it was not present in the older (5.54) Winamp version I was using before - I would be grateful to know how to do it. If not, I'll learn to live with it. Thank you in advance!
Bellzemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 15:58   #5
DrO

it's basically to make sure that it's set to the volume i want it to be - the old way meant if i wasn't paying full attention and changing it say via the mouse wheel scrolling, it was possible i'd missed where i wanted to set it to if i scrolled a bit too fast (and wheel acceleration kicked in).

the process of the change had also led on from allowing the 'repeat' and 'shuffle' states to be reported as well (since that was only if you clicked the buttons) but not if using the shortcuts (and the same applied with volume in some cases). which had been based on user feedback so i obliged (as it made sense and was simple enough to implement).

my aim was to make skins a bit more consistent between the different types as all to often people complain that things aren't functionally the same and this was one of those areas where it could be done. and only one other person commented on it to my knowledge and they liked the change.

now makes me wonder if i should continue looking into other changes based on user feedback as consolidating the play/enqueue buttons for the library views is one that came up recently (though that would have to be an option but is then whether to make it default as joined (as per screenshot) or default separate (as-is)).

Old 9th October 2013, 17:01   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

DrO,

Thanx for the further explanation.

I don't understand how slowing the display of the result of a volume change makes it easier to make the desired change. Seems to me it would have the opposite effect, but so be it (I control Winamp's volume as previously stated, leaving Winamp's volume control at 100%).

The other change mentioned, to allow the selection of the most used action to be assigned to the button, sounds like a beneficial one to me.

But what do I know in either case, I'm no ergonomic UI expert.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 9th October 2013, 17:26   #7
DrO

its primarily that it can be seen without the songticker almost instantly removing it from view. as only holding down the mouse would keep showing it on changing until the button was released. whereas using the keyboard either showed nothing or didn't show it long enough and sometimes its good to know its correctly set. maybe its me but I've found it useful (especially with the coming command line changes).
Old 9th October 2013, 19:44   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, now it is perfectly clear. Going forward, I shall try to not comment on things I have no direct experience with. As we all know details make the difference and I didn't have all the relevant facts (nobody's fault but mine).

Old 9th October 2013, 21:15   #9
DrO

i'm more surprised that 2 people even noticed the changes (be it with opposite views on the matter). and i probably didn't explain things too well to start with (mind racing faster than typing is often not a good scenario).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support