Old 20th October 2013, 03:47   #1
efarr

Preferred location for Playlists

There seems to be a preferred location where I should save my playlist *.m3u files. I need to find out where that is.

Right now, I create a play list and save it somewhere, but that play list does not appear on the left side of the media library. Where should I be saving it so it shows up where it needs to?

I'm running Windows 8.

Thanks.
efarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 13:47   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi efarr,

There isn't a preferred location for saving playlists. When you use the button (or it's right-click context menu) at the bottom right-hand side of the playlist editor to save a playlist, a dialog opens showing the folder that was last used for any folder related Winamp feature. You can save in this folder or select another one.

If you don't remember which folder(s) was(were) used, you can use the Windows search feature to find all the *.m3u files on your computer.

To add a saved playlist (or folder of saved playlists, or the current active playlist) to the media library, right-click on the heading for playlists (on the left-hand side) and select the appropriate context menu command. A copy of the original saved playlist(s) is(are) stored in a sub-folder of your Winamp user data folder. Directly adding playlists to this folder will not work without using the necessary syntax.

If you make a change to the original saved playlist(s), you need to delete the old copy in the media library and add the new one (if you want to keep the original and media library copy in sync, Winamp does not do this for you).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 17:44   #3
DrO

with v5.65 (can't remember if it made it into v5.64), you can import playlists into Winamp's library playlists but have it use the original playlist instead of a Winamp maintained copy. is an option on the import dialog to allow for using the original playlist(s) instead of making a copy.

and playlists will only show in the library list if specified to be a library playlist (imported or created as one) and just general saving of a playlist will not find it (as i think Aminifu has described more completely than my reply now).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 19:02   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
with v5.65 (can't remember if it made it into v5.64), you can import playlists into Winamp's library playlists but have it use the original playlist instead of a Winamp maintained copy. is an option on the import dialog to allow for using the original playlist(s) instead of making a copy.
Great addition, now we don't have to deal with the awkward syncing process. I didn't notice it in v5.64 and have not made a new playlist since v5.65 was released. It is not listed in the change logs for either version, but that is forgiven.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 19:45   #5
DrO

not sure why it didn't make it onto the changelog (i think it was in one of the interim changelogs) so might just retrospectively add it to the 5.66 changelog (seeing as it needed some fixing anyway for some of the older language packs).

well the Winamp maintained copy made sense when the feature was added (and still does) but as it keeps coming up as a complaint, that was why the option was added for imported playlists (anything made in-Winamp will remain as-is) though there's nothing stopping editing the relevant files, etc so make them work with external copies.

only issue with using the external copies is that there's no backup for when using the delete action in Winamp.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 21:44   #6
efarr

Thanks

Thanks very much DrO and Aminifu. That did the trick.
efarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support