Old 8th October 2013, 00:05   #1
conradg

How do you play songs in album order?

This seems like an incredibly obvious problem, but I can't seem to make my albums play their songs in track order. They play in seemingly random order, no matter how I try to play them. And no, I don't have them on "shuffle". Not sure why something this simple and obvious should be so difficult to figure out.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
conradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 06:30   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do they have track numbers and were they sorted by track number and added to the playlist in track number order?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 08:21   #3
conradg

They have track numbers, but I didn't add them to a playlist. I'm just playing them from the album listings. Regardless of how I play them, either by double-clicking on the album title, the first song, or using the play button, Winamp just randomly starts playing songs from the album in no order at all, and not even in the same order if I start from scratch. I would of course like to play them in track order, first to last, and don't see how one specifies that. Or even, why one would have to. Shouldn't it just play in track order by default?

They were added to the library simply by using "Add Media to Library" from the My Music directory.
Old 8th October 2013, 22:16   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradg View Post
Shouldn't it just play in track order by default?
That would seem reasonable, but how is Winamp to tell what the track order should be, and from which album, when songs are added to the playlist editor? All songs selected for playback are added to the playlist editor. Even when songs are selected in order in Windows Explorer, Windows may not submit their names to Winamp in the same order. The particular way files are listed usually has nothing to do with how they are actually stored on the computer. Machines don't care about a particular order that may be helpful to a human. Files are transferred in the order they are found when the machine is looking for them.

Apps can rearrange the display order based on rules. One way for Winamp to know how to display a particular order is with tagging and a rule for how to use the tags. Most, but not all, file formats support tagging, but the album and track tags would still need to contain the correct info (entered in a consistent manner, not track 2 in one file and 2/10 in another, for example). Since there is no solution that will work for all cases, this type of ordering is left up to the user to do manually in Winamp.

There is some help for those songs that have the required tags. You can use advanced title formatting (ATF) to change the default way song info is displayed in the playlist. Instead of 'artist - title' (or however they are described now), you can use 'album - track # - artist - title'. Then right click on the "Misc" button at the bottom of the playlist editor window and select the 'sort by title' context menu command. This will reorder the listing alpha-numerically by album, and tracks within each album. Look in the General Preferences - Titles options for where to enter the ATF string and for help on how to construct it. This kind of titling may not be suitable for other purposes.

Alternatively (for songs with tags), when selecting songs from the tracks panel in the media library, the top to bottom order of the selection is maintained when transferred and added to the end of the list of songs already listed in the playlist editor. So when selecting the songs (1 album at a time), sort by the track # column before selecting and transferring the songs. Add this column, if necessary, by right clicking on any existing column heading and selecting "Customize columns...". Then select it from the pop-up list that appears.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 10:27   #5
conradg

"That would seem reasonable, but how is Winamp to tell what the track order should be, and from which album, when songs are added to the playlist editor?"

Maybe because each song in each album already has a track# assigned to it, Winamp could use that number to order the songs it plays when you ask it to play that album? I mean, how hard could that be to program?

I appreciate your answers, and I grasp that somehow when I add an album to the Media Library, the computer doesn't necessarily copy and add each song in order, but it seems like they really could play them according to track# (since almost every album seems to have that). The solution of having to manually re-enter every single song in every single album I own (that's thousands of them) into a new playlist, seems completely insane. Isn't there a reason we have computers to do these things for us automatically? Shouldn't a program that is designed to load albums and sort by album also play those songs in the order they occur in the album? Especially when they already have a track# assigned to them by the database? I mean, I can display the songs in track# order, and I can manually play each one in order, one at a time, if I really feel like it. But it would seem pretty easy for Winamp to do that for me, since, you know, it's a goddamn computer program and that's exactly the sort of thing a computer program can do really well.

I really don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. When I download ebooks for my Kindle, I don't have to manually arrange each page in order. Somehow, the Kindle knows to display them by page number! How amazing that someone thought to do that! Why can't the Winamp people do something similar for their users? You know, by playing the songs on an album in track# order. Is it really that bizarre a request?

Sorry for ranting. I really thought that maybe there was just some simple button I had to toggle, that I couldn't find. I didn't realize there's really just no way to do this, without manually re-creating whole new album playlists. That really sucks.

Are you listening, Winamp?
Old 9th October 2013, 10:46   #6
DrO

if you add things to the playlist editor from the library then they are added in the order shown / selected.

as for why it doesn't play things in the manner you are asking for / expecting, the simple answer is the playlsit editor is still that of Winamp 2.x and has no knowledge of playlist item metadata - it just plays things based on how they are added and how Winamp is told to play.

so overall, it's all pretty crap but then other people like it like that. and there's nothing stopping it being done via an extra plug-in but Winamp is a very small team and sadly a lot of what is wanted / needing to be changed cannot be done due to resource issues (i.e. everyone expects everything to do with it to be free which just doesn't work) and no one wants to (or has the time to) make plug-ins for it it anymore which would be able to deal with the request (so that option isn't viable either sadly).

and from my usage, files with track# in their tags, as long as the library view is set to sort by 'album' then when i enqueue the album to the playlist editor, it adds them in track-order. so maybe the sorting in the library view isn't correct, but then you've a fair point that Winamp's playback should be more intelligent (along with all of the other requests / complaints about it's shuffle support) - am almost surprised anyone uses it based on all of the complaints that keep on coming through.

so it's not that Winamp isn't listening (far from it) but time and resources just mean that a lot of what should be done cannot be done (which as one of those devs is frustrating to say the least).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:35   #7
AusPanda

Yep, they play in order for me ... so if I am in Local Library > Audio, and select an album in the top panels, then all the tracks in the album are listed in the bottom panel that fills the width.

I click on Track column header to sort by track number. I then double click the first track, and it adds all the songs to the playlist in top right, in track order.

What is yours doing differently?
AusPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 13:38   #8
AusPanda

Check in Preferences > Playlist > Advanced Playback settings > When loading multiple files, sort files by name.

My checkbox is unchecked.
AusPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 15:58   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPanda View Post
Check in Preferences > Playlist > Advanced Playback settings > When loading multiple files, sort files by name.

My checkbox is unchecked.
Thanx for adding that important piece of info.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 12th October 2013, 20:57   #10
conradg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPanda View Post
Yep, they play in order for me ... so if I am in Local Library > Audio, and select an album in the top panels, then all the tracks in the album are listed in the bottom panel that fills the width.

I click on Track column header to sort by track number. I then double click the first track, and it adds all the songs to the playlist in top right, in track order.

What is yours doing differently?
Okay, I get everything you've typed, up until the last sentence. When I double click the first track of the album after arranging it by track#, it just starts playing that song. It doesn't generate any "playlist" that I can see. (Unless by "playlist", you just mean the songs in the box below the top two). And when that first song is done playing, it doesn't move on to #2 on the album, it moves to some seemingly random song on the album.

For example, I'm playing Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions" album. I have all the songs arranged by track #. I double click on the first song on the list, "My Favorite Mistake", and it plays. But when that song ends, it plays the #!0 song nect, not the #2 song. And after that, it jumps around again. It does this every time. I can't see any way to make it play the songs in order.
Old 13th October 2013, 00:44   #11
lostinsound

Quote:
Okay, I get everything you've typed, up until the last sentence. When I double click the first track of the album after arranging it by track#, it just starts playing that song. It doesn't generate any "playlist" that I can see. (Unless by "playlist", you just mean the songs in the box below the top two). And when that first song is done playing, it doesn't move on to #2 on the album, it moves to some seemingly random song on the album.

For example, I'm playing Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions" album. I have all the songs arranged by track #. I double click on the first song on the list, "My Favorite Mistake", and it plays. But when that song ends, it plays the #!0 song nect, not the #2 song. And after that, it jumps around again. It does this every time. I can't see any way to make it play the songs in order.
Are you not seeing the Playlist Editor? Winamp has a separate playlist that the songs get queued up in when you double click that is completely separate from the Media Library (how it should be in my opinion). If it isn't visible you need to go to the View menu and select 'Playlist Editor', or press Alt+E. As far as why they're playing in the wrong order, I'm not sure, but seeing the Playlist Editor might give you a better idea of what's going on. What skin are you using?
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 02:07   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
it sounds like the shuffle / random button is on.

you should prob also provide an info tool report.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 00:28   #13
conradg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
Are you not seeing the Playlist Editor? Winamp has a separate playlist that the songs get queued up in when you double click that is completely separate from the Media Library (how it should be in my opinion). If it isn't visible you need to go to the View menu and select 'Playlist Editor', or press Alt+E. As far as why they're playing in the wrong order, I'm not sure, but seeing the Playlist Editor might give you a better idea of what's going on. What skin are you using?
No, I'm not seeing any playlist editor. That never popped up anytime I played any albums or songs. But by going into the menu at the top, I see that I can select that. So that helps.

I don't have shuffle checked or anything, but in the options menu, I found that repeat and shuffle were both checked. I unchecked them, and now, at last, things seem to be working.

How bizarre that not checking the repeat or shuffle buttons on the main player won't actually stop it from randomly shuffling the songs on the playlist, but requires you to go inside the menus to stop that shit. What a strange set of defaults.

Thanks everyone for all your help. Maybe Winamp might address these issues in future releases.
Old 17th October 2013, 00:34   #14
DrO

Quote:
I don't have shuffle checked or anything, but in the options menu, I found that repeat and shuffle were both checked. I unchecked them, and now, at last, things seem to be working.

How bizarre that not checking the repeat or shuffle buttons on the main player won't actually stop it from randomly shuffling the songs on the playlist, but requires you to go inside the menus to stop that shit. What a strange set of defaults.
what you're describing doesn't make much sense - the UI will reflect what the menus show and vice-versa especially for the repeat and shuffle options. i think you need to provide some screenshots or something to be able to show what you're describing as reading the text isn't making sense with how Winamp does work normally.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 00:25   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi conradg,

If you didn't activate those options by accident (it can happen), does anyone else have access to your computer? Maybe someone played a joke on you (or activated those options by accident).

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support