• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ariszlo
    Major Dude
    • Jun 2015

Customize.org: reported unwanted software page

Customize.org is the best site to power browse Classic or Modern skins: sorting skins by date, views or downloads is functional unlike at DeviantArt where selecting Popular All Time just does not order the skins by popularity.

But!

When you try to download a skin, you get this:
    Last edited by ariszlo; 16 May 2023, 21:48. Reason: Removed old screenshot because of possible quota issues.
    Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt
  • Sabine Klare
    Forum Queen
    • Nov 2010

Until December 2014 / January 2015 I myself had downloaded Winamp Skins from Customize.org without getting such a message.

Since when does this problem appear? Maybe something had happened to this website, and You should wait a few days and then try it again.

Of course we should ask also some other Winamp Users, if they had got the same problem recently...
    Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
    Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
    AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

• Aminifu
      Forum King
      • Aug 2011

Hi ariszlo,

What anti-virus and/or anti-malware apps are you running?

I just downloaded a classic skin (Cool Stuff) and a modern skin (WA 300) from Customize.org without any problems or pop-up messages. I'm using the real time scanning provided by ESET NOD32 Antivirus and Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit. I'm also using the latest beta version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Ransomware.
      Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
      Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• ariszlo
        Major Dude
        • Jun 2015

The warning only appears in browsers such as Firefox or Chrome that rely on Google Safe Browsing based on StopBadware.org's blacklist:
        Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• ryerman
          Major Dude
          • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
          What anti-virus and/or anti-malware apps are you running?
          It's a Firefox warning.
          It might be better to ask: "What browser is being used?"

I get the warning with Firefox but not with Opera.
          And IE blocks the download with SmartScreen Filter, whatever that is.
          Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• Aminifu
            Forum King
            • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
            It's a Firefox warning.
            It might be better to ask: "What browser is being used?"

Ok, that explains things. Downloading from Customize.org may be dangerous. Extra care is advised.

I'm using the Pale Moon (x64) browser. It started as an off-shoot of Firefox, but it's code base is now almost completely different.

SmartScreen Filter is a blacklist maintained by Microsoft. I'm using a blacklist maintained by SpywareBlaster and a few more that are mainly for blocking advertisers. I also use OpenDNS (to provide internet addresses faster than my ISP's DNS server) and take advantage of some of the filtering it provides.

My multiple layers of protection are probably 'over-kill'. But it has been several years since something potentially bad has managed to get thru my defenses undetected.
            Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
            Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
            X