Old 19th August 2012, 23:47   #1
Paescari

Smart View Track Order for Compilation Albums

I'm new to using Smart Views and have been having a variety of issues with getting them to function how I'd like. I have gradually reduced my problems down to one main one through playing around with settings and testing by trial and error. In doing so I have fiddled with every setting I can think of.

At this point all my albums show up correctly in the Smart View; they're all listed and have the correct number of tracks etc. When I click on an album to play it however, Winamp enqueues the tracks in order of Artist > Track Number. This has no significance until I try to play a compilation album where every track has a different artist. Instead of playing the tracks in the order of the album, Winamp plays the tracks in alphabetical artist order (see below for illustration). Understandably this is not the behaviour I expect.

My initial reaction to this issue was that I must be missing something obvious. There must be some setting somewhere, or some sort function that I have overlooked. After a few days of fiddling (and Googling) I have yet to come up with a solution, which I find perplexing. Surely Winamp has the ability to do what I want - to play albums in order using Smart Views - but so far I'm stumped as to how to get it to do so.

All my albums are correctly tagged and for testing purposes I have changed my Media Library directory to a temporary folder which contains both compilation and non-compilation albums, in both FLAC and MP3. Both formats behave the same way.

I am hoping there is an easy answer to this post, and I would greatly appreciate any help given, even if it proves I've missed something obvious!

Paescari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 04:07   #2
lostinsound

If you hover the mouse over the grey bar at the bottom in the middle you'll see a double arrow appear, and then you can click and drag up so you can see the tracks pane. My guess is that in the tracks pane you have them sorted by artist so that's how they queue when you send an album to the playlist. If you click on the column header that says 'Album', it will sort by album, which will put the tracks in the correct order. If it's not that, I'm not sure what it could be.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 04:22   #3
Paescari

A hidden pane! Who would have thunk it? Well, obviously you did. You are a genius, thank you very, very, very much for your help! I award you over 9000 cookies.

I spent days, literally, looking for that.
Paescari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 16:09   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
the tracks pane should always be available. also, there is a similar bar for the playlist to show art there, if configured to do so.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
compilation album, order, smart view, track order, various artists