Old 3rd November 2018, 20:36   #1
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
128k limit?

So I don't seem to be able to connect to relays or my source at anything over 128k. What's the deal?

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:37   #2
NurLutix

Is this perhaps up to the new Premium feature?
If you bought the Premium subscription, otherwise only 128 will go if you are on the latest version.
NurLutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 23:06   #3
MegaRock
Forum King

That is what it looks like to me and that's just not gonna float. I'm not paying someone else 9 bucks a month so I can use my bandwidth. I already have an Icecast server up and running going to link a few up on my server boxes. Guess if it works as I want I'll just dump Shoutcast after 20 years because limiting my bandwidth unless I pony up the cash is where I draw the line. Uhh.... NOPE.

Tune In Now!
Old 3rd November 2018, 23:57   #4
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

amen @MegaRock
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 01:03   #5
MegaRock
Forum King

It's not as if they are leaving me a choice. I'm sure for now I can just keep running 2.5. Eventually I suspect they force everyone to 2.6 at the YP level. My hosted server will run anyway it just won't connect to the YP. Now if that affects my relays connecting to each other the right way (since they cluster using the station ID at the YP) then I have to delete it and go with Icecast. I sat down tonight and set up icecast on all six of my servers and configured them to match ports, IP and connection info. I can switch all servers in about 15 minutes.

Just gonna prepare because this looks like it's going to go the same way Live365 did before they all but imploded. These broadcasters aren't making any money and this ad program hasn't made me a single penny yet. Offer some useful features and I might be coaxed out of some money but trying to control MY bandwidth usage... unless I pay you?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHell no.

Tune In Now!
Old 4th November 2018, 15:25   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Versions 2.4.7 to 2.5.5 are still supported / listed.

The main issue is that the RMO now only generates v2.6-compatible Authhash.....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 01:57   #7
MegaRock
Forum King

I suspect it won't be long before the old authhash won't work and a forced upgrade happens.

I just don't get their logic in forcing me to either lower my bitrate to something wholly unacceptable by me unless I give them money. They don't pay for my servers or bandwidth - I do. The rest of the changes I like but trying to extort money from me like this I can't do. And I refuse to lower my audio quality to remain part of Shoutcast.While the software will apparently work for now who knows how much longer before they start locking you out further.

I have all but two servers converted to Icecast already. Purring right along. And I am still streaming at 320k. Without being gouged. Sorry but I am not changing my bitrate and the software known as Shoutcast refuses to work for me.

Open source rules.

Tune In Now!
Old 11th February 2019, 05:56   #8
PARALAX

That's how you forget your community...

I've read through the Shoutcast 2.6.0 thread in great detail and fully support the opinion of most disgruntled users, including myself. Therefore: Thanks for the clear words, MegaRock!

In addition, I find it extremely unfair that users who have created their station before the conversion by Radionomy, will continue to be listed, while new users are now asked to pay. Either all or none - that's how I see it! Why should I have a reason to buy a Premium Packet when older users can simply continue to use the service with Shoutcast 2.5.5 or older for free and without any restrictions? I think that - and I hope so - Radionomy and Shoutcast 2.6+ will dig their own grave pretty quickly.

As a Shoutcast 1 user since mid-2000, I hesitated a long time before I decided to switch to Shoutcast 2. The reasons for me were mainly the use of Centova Cast and cost savings through the elimination of an external and chargeable AAC+ transcoder service, which can now be taken over by us, simply by setting up a mount point. The decision to change took place at a very unfavorable time, where I already had to realize that the website of Radionomy was completely changed and old Hashkeys no longer work. Now I regret that I did not register a few weeks earlier, after Radionomy already kicked all users with Shoutcast 1 in the past and these were suddenly no longer listed. As an operator of a nonprofit web radio with non-profit and free music, which like many others do not and do not want to earn a penny and only pay their own traffic costs, that's like a slap in the face.

Due to the use of Winamp and Shoutcast DSP for live shows on a Windows PC, I will probably stay with Shoutcast 2.5.5 and accept the inconvenience, especially since many people I've talked to consider the Shoutcast directory to be completely overrated. A limitation to 128 kpbs is for me under no circumstances in question, especially since we have been sending only in 192 kbps for some time. Fortunately, there are still enough portals like TuneIn, Onlineradiobox or radio.de, where we are listed independently of the Shoutcast directory. Customer-friendliness looks different to me.
PARALAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 00:09   #9
MegaRock
Forum King

I switched to Shoutcast after spending my beginnings at the old Live365 and was doing 'podcast' radio shows before that. But most of it was with Shoutcast and to be honest once Nullsoft started falling apart that was the last real improvements SC saw since except for SC2 which really featured no huge changes. Truth is I've seen no operational changes in SC - everything since 1.9.2 seems geared towards central control all in their hands and revenue programs but nothing on the streaming side. All the problems I had I chalked up to it just being streaming and that was it.

When they basically ran me off because they would not allow me to stream over 128k and to Icecast...NEVER BEEN HAPPIER. All the time the software sat dormant here people were working on and improving it there. My streams NEVER go down anymore. No weird hiccups and belches. No more having a relay lose connection then refuse to reconnect. It can even upgrade in place while running without dumping listeners.

I leave one single 64k AAC stream on Shoutcast just to keep a toe in the water and see if the streaming end is ever improved upon because at this point the revenue program will never generate much of any money and the YP sends little to nothing in the way of listeners even if we were one of the top 20 stations in the genre. And I can EXCEED 320k on Icecast.. I actually pushed a 1400k stream just to play around...STUNNING sound.

128k ain't happening. I didn't spend thousands on processing equipment to push a 128k stream.

Tune In Now!
Old 21st February 2019, 06:51   #10
John147
Banned

I think it works only on premium version.If u upgrade to premium or else 128 will go only to the upgraded version.Regards
John147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 06:40   #11
ram130

Send a message via AIM to ram130 Send a message via Yahoo to ram130
Same here, I just switch over to Icecast after a few days test, and wow, the fact I could upgrade my free icecast plan to paid and keep the server up. Totally nice. I'm already gaining more listeners lately, finally I can grow again. No weird issues here either. I also have a back up Shoutcast stream for play history on the site, but the server is not getting listed in the directory and aac isn't working. All 2.6 bugs for months. Add the lack of replies from support, they can go away. Wake me up when they finally take themselves seriously.

Ramon
ram130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 05:30   #12
mitchel64

That is what it looks like to me and that's just not gonna float. I'm not paying someone else 9 bucks a month so I can use my bandwidth. I already have an Icecast server up and running going to link a few up on my server boxes. Guess if it works as I want I'll just dump Shoutcast after 20 years because limiting my bandwidth unless I pony up the cash is where I draw the line.
mitchel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 03:01   #13
MegaRock
Forum King

I tried three times to drop a new server online solely for AAC. Had nothing but issues. Bug fixes, errors, problems.. all the streams I flipped have become all but maintenance free. Always up. Never crash. Relays always reconnect. No listener dumps. Full tilt 320k and absolutely rock solid. I don't know if I would ever fully switch back now.

Tune In Now!
Old 4th August 2019, 06:35   #14
ram130

Send a message via AIM to ram130 Send a message via Yahoo to ram130
I agree, same here. Smooth sailing and stress free. Which is how it should have been with Shoutcast. Oh the irony.

Ramon
ram130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions