Old 18th August 2004, 04:09   #1
0xdeadc0de

Winamp ON the iPod

Heya,

I haven't thought this through entirely -- a sure sign I'm about to say something stupid... but, I was thinking, It'd be handy to actually keep Winamp on my iPod. That way, I'd have an easy way to fiddle with the iPod contents no matter where I am.

If I'm at a friends house, he's got no iPod and no iPod software, I'd be able to plug mine in, fire up Winamp and be able to parse the iPod contents by playlist, and even transfer files on & off.

I've found sharepod, which does part of what I want (getting files off the iPod), but if I could have Winamp with the ml_ipod plugin, my current skin and settings and everything on the iPod, that would rock!

I'm gonna experiment with it and see if it'll work, but if anyone out there knows already whether this is possble or not, let me know. I just wonder if Winamp depends on registry settings or other things. I see it keeps most things inside INI files... that's a good sign.

Z.S.
0xdeadc0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 04:16   #2
Reaper
Forum King

Most settings are kept in winamp.ini and studio.xnf. Just drop the Winamp folder onto the iPod and it should work.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 04:46   #3
0xdeadc0de

What about paths to things like my ML contents on my local hard drive, I should probably flush references to those for the portable Winamp copy. And it looks like ml_ipod keeps things like "ipodpath" in winamp.ini. Guess those settings will have to be re-adjusted for the particular environment i plug into (ipod's drive letter could be different there than here).

But overall, very cool, it looks like it's workable.
0xdeadc0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 07:45   #4
astro-g

Send a message via ICQ to astro-g
you will probably have issues with the drive letter of the ipod changing from computer to computer
astro-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 09:11   #5
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Not nessicarrially. By default, with the iPod plugin installed, it does an autodetect on startup. So it should find it every time.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 09:41   #6
amazonpit

Winamp stores all information in one folder like Opera?
amazonpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2004, 17:14   #7
DivinoAG

I tried that here, and works nicely. The only thing that you should be aware is that, if you are using Winamp on the iPod, you won't be able to use the Eject function on the Media Library, because Windows won't let you eject a device that has a active program.

So you'll have to close Winamp, and eject the iPod by right clicking it on the Windows Explorer and chossing Eject (be careful with the Format option just above it).

Other than that, I had no problems with Winamp on the iPod. Thanks a lot for the good idea.
DivinoAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion