Old 22nd July 2012, 07:05   #1
sloweddi

Howdy and a problem CPU @100%

Howdy,

Due to my "fixing" a problem I fried my MoBo and decided to upgrade.

I now have an AMD A8-3850 Quad core processor with 4 Gig of memory. I am running win 7 x64. Winamp is ver 5.63. I am using it only for audio. I am using a gadget to monitor my CPU. Whenever I play music my second core goes to 100% and stays there until I shut down Winamp. Everything was a clean install on a new drive

Any suggestions?
sloweddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:43   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sloweddi,

Use another utility, like "Core Temp", to confirm what your gadget is showing you. Use Windows task manager to check the priority Winamp is running at. What 3rd party plug-ins are you using with Winamp?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:51   #3
sloweddi

Thanks I will try those. As far as I know I am using no 3rd party plug-ins. It was a straight install so unless it came with the basic program...

I just tried Winamp again this afternoon before I got online and it was a solid 74% of one of the cores and dropped to 4% when I stopped winamp
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:59   #4
sloweddi

Core Temp said that one of the core went to 100% and the temp stayed at 10C. Perfmon has Winamp right at the top of the list.

The problem might be that I am playing "London Calling" by the Clash
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:21   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Perfmon does not show what priority WA is running at. It should be set for normal (use task manager to check). Does 'Core Temp' show that all 4 cores are working (each one > 0% at some point) and running at the right speeds?

Not familiar with "London Calling", but no song should cause persistent core use of 100%.

Posting a "One for Nunz" report will allow your WA configuration to be checked.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/14nunz.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:01   #6
sloweddi

Core temp showed 3 cores between 1% and 4% and one core at 100%

"London Calling" reference was a joke. Yet when WA is not playing anything the core is a happy 5%. As soon as I start playing anything... through the roof in core use. This is after I went into the playback control in preferences and moved the thread priority from highest to mid-range. I am beginning to think that there might be a problem with the hard drive the music files are on. I will switch to another drive and see what happens
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:28   #7
sloweddi

And... it looks like it is the Hard Drive.

Just played a half hour of music (same stuff I was playing before) and the core stayed very low the highest any of then got to was 20%

So now I have to invest in a new HD but at least the problem appears to have been solved
Now I just have to figure out why this would cause the core to go to 100%
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:05   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Glad you found the problem.

I have not heard of any hard drive issues those only symptom is excessive cpu use. That and your first post got me thinking. I also like to tinker with my system to try to get the maximum performance out of it. But I often find that the gains are not worth the risk of burning something out prematurely, so I usually return most 'optimizations' I've tried to what was in place before. It almost never pays to 'fix' something that is not broken

If you have done something along these lines, maybe returning things to normal will save you the expense of a new drive. There are utilities you can use to check the health of your drives. "CrystalDiskInfo" is a good generic one and your drive's vendor should offer free test apps for their products.

Running WA at more than normal priority does not really gain you anything. That option is mostly a leftover from the early days (WA is over 15 years old) when computers were a lot less powerful.

Good luck.

Old 23rd July 2012, 08:27   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a 6 core Phenom II. Winamp seems to spread the threads pretty evenly with nothing going more than 5% even when playing the Clash.

Uh.. when Winamp screws up and it does once in a while. Uninstall Winamp.. delete the folder in Program Files and re-install. Winamp doesn't uninstall clean. Hint. Hint.... dev team?

I think it's highly unlikely that you have a hard drive issue. Run a S.M.A.R.T utility to check. Most bioses will warn you if you have a S.M.A.R.T failure at boot. It's not impossible that you have a hard disk failure that S.M.A.R.T didn't detect. It's just so unlikely that you could consider it impossible for practical purposes.

Winamp taking a dump... Not impossible at all. It's a very complex program and it seems to me that a lot of it is spit and bailing wire. I still love it, warts and all.

How many times since Winamp 0.9 have I had to fix it in this way? Dozens over the years. It seems to be an issue with about any update.

If you don't erase the whole folder after you uninstall, you seem to retain buggered up config files that will chase you through a re-install. I'd call your complaint a known issue.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:06   #10
sloweddi

And... playing everything from a different hard drive worked for about 3 hrs. Then the same problem came back. Using a bunch of recommended HDD checkers and everything drive wise is great. So back to the drawing board. I will try the uninstall reinstall solution next just to make sure all my bases are covered before going to human sacrifice
Old 25th July 2012, 21:11   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sloweddi,

A few 'wags', if a clean uninstall and reinstall does not help.

Run "msconfig.exe" and click on the "Advanced options..." button on the "Boot" tab. Make sure the "Number of processors:", "Maximum memory:", "PCI Lock", and "Debug" options are all unchecked. They probably are, but it can't hurt to check.

Sometimes a bend pin or two, inadvertently occurring while installing a processor, can cause higher than normal core usage. But that usually shows up for more than one app.

Even less likely, but possible, is a faulty processor (if it's always the same core going to 100%). In this case, return it for a replacement if you still can.

Old 26th August 2013, 20:35   #12
sloweddi

I have found no resolution to the CPU problem other than to stop the song and start it a few seconds later.
It appears to happen on songs with a lot of "energy" or with a lot of sound in the frequency range of 350-600 Hz.

I am thinking it has something to do with the way the digital is converted in mp3 as it does not happen in FLAC.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support