Old 17th April 2003, 09:22   #1
OzBoz

WA 2/3 Can't manage huge library?

I'm almost completed a project of giving all my MP3's right ID3 tags and reserve one harddrive in my second PC as a kind of jukebox.

The number of songs is about 14000, quite a lot. With Winamp2.90 Final I got a "oops - cooperative request out of range" when I try to delete some library items. Also Winamp 3 can't manage such al library. It suddenly changed the fonts etc before it gets totally stuck. The only program which behaves nicely is Windows Media Player (hope that won't be censored over here ).

While WinAmp 2.90 uses 41MB ram, WinAmp 3 uses 35MB and Windows MediaPlayer uses about 10MB of ram.

I don't like the WMP at all, but will there be a future Winamp that can handle my MediaLibrary? I like the function very much but it's not very usefull when WinAmp can't handle it.

I got a XP2100+ with 1gB of Ram in my main system and got the MP3's at a second PC, a Athlon 800Mhz with 512MB. That shouldn't be the problem.

Anyone with suggestions?
OzBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 01:09   #2
GoldenSphynx
Forum King

Use RealPlayer. No, just kidding. But what you can do is organize your mp3's into smaller playlists, I guess.
GoldenSphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 08:46   #3
OzBoz

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenSphynx
Use RealPlayer. No, just kidding. But what you can do is organize your mp3's into smaller playlists, I guess.
Well it hasn't really to do with playlists. But with the library-function. Newly introduced in 2.90 and already implemented in Winamp 3. The library is a perfect way to get an overview of all the music you have and if tagged nicely, searching a certain song, artist or album is a piece of cake.

But it seems the implemented library can't handle a lot of songs. Since the more and more people got a huge collection I guess this will be a problem for more people who like to use the library.
Old 19th April 2003, 09:29   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've got over 8000 entries in my 2.91 library, and it works a treat.
Over 6000 of the entries are all in subfolders in one dir, and they were all added in one by adding the parent dir to the library... so I'm not sure why you're having problems.

How are the two pc's connected?
Networked (lan/nic/ethernet), direct serial cable, router, other?
What's the Windows OS on these two pc's?

For me (Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDR RAM, WinXP), winamp.exe uses ~500k ram when idle, ~8mb ram when playing mp3's, ~10-15mb when playing vids, and ~20-25mb when avs is running.
Can't understand why yours is using over 40mb ram when just playing mp3's. That's definitely not normal my friend. Something is amiss . . .
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 09:39   #5
OzBoz

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
[B]I've got over 8000 entries in my 2.91 library, and it works a treat.
Over 6000 of the entries are all in subfolders in one dir, and they were all added in one by adding the parent dir to the library... so I'm not sure why you're having problems.

How are the two pc's connected?
Networked (nic), direct serial cable, router, other?
What's the Windows OS on these two pc's?
I got one HD specially for MP3's in my second PC. There are some subfolders in the root (by genre) and in each folder the albums and some mp3 files. The two PC's are connected by a switch (100mbit). Both PC's run WindowsXP Professional.

The problems started around 10.000 files. And I think it makes a big difference for the memory usage if all files contain tags. I don't think it has something to do with the setup since WMP does it without any problem and also monitors the folder for additions and keeps track if I moved a file from one folder to another.

I got now 10666 files in my library from Winamp 2.91 but I can't add files or delete any files without the error message mentioned above.
Old 20th April 2003, 08:07   #6
vynegar

i have 30000 files loaded into my ML and theres no trouble. .so it must be something at ur end
vynegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2003, 09:56   #7
OzBoz

Quote:
Originally posted by vynegar
i have 30000 files loaded into my ML and theres no trouble. .so it must be something at ur end
Do you have ID3-1/2 tags on all files? I would be rather happy if it's a problem at my side. Since both WA2 and WA3 give problems and WMP doesn't I don't know what it can be.

Any suggestions maybe?
Old 20th April 2003, 23:37   #8
OzBoz

For your information. I deleted main.dat from the plugins\ml directory. And added my MP3-dir again. All 15456 files are now correctly in the library. Maybe my problem is solved.. I hope..
Old 27th April 2003, 03:55   #9
FatherG

Send a message via AIM to FatherG
All hail the forum search. I was having the same problem as OzBoz with my ML not being able to handle a large amount of files. I was also (thankfully) able to fix the problem the same way, by deleting the main.dat file from plugins\ml.
I'm not quite sure what caused it, but I was moving around alot of files when it happend so that might have something to do with it.
-edit-
Almost forgot. I'm also running XP Pro (everything patched) with another HD set aside for music, but the files that were moved were all on the same HD, just within subfolders by artist name.
FatherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2003, 09:26   #10
OzBoz

Quote:
Originally posted by FatherG
Almost forgot. I'm also running XP Pro (everything patched) with another HD set aside for music, but the files that were moved were all on the same HD, just within subfolders by artist name.
Well I'm glad I also posted the solution which worked for me. I have about the same setup. After clearing the main.dat, the problem never occured. The strange thing was that the main.dat I deleted was about 35MB (with 10666 files). Now with 16250 files in the library it's 15.5 MB.
Old 27th April 2003, 21:46   #11
OzBoz

Have to make another comment. It seems Winamp 2.91 doesn't clean the library after removing all files from the library. After I empty the library it still was 15MB. After deleting the main.dat and reindexing the files it's about 5MB. That seems like a bug.
Old 28th April 2003, 00:04   #12
FatherG

Send a message via AIM to FatherG
It does seem like a bug. I didn't think to check the size of main.dat before I deleted it, but right now with 2509 tracks the main.dat file is only 785k in size.
Maybe we just need to start weeding out songs we don't listen to, lol.
-edit-
My Winamp only uses 5megs of ram while playing mp3s (even with all of them loaded), which makes me think there might be a mem leak in the ML somewhere. Your computer is worlds better than mine (p3 450, 128 megs of ram, 32meg card) and yours is taking more resources to run winamp? Something is amiss.
FatherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2003, 16:22   #13
nhyatt

Hit the same error -- it's mentined in a bunch of different forums with 2-3 messages each.. they should probably be consolidated.

In any case, I'm doing the delete main.dat right now - I imagine that will fix it. Probably something about that file getting corrupted but not sure how.

For the record I also had ~14,000 MP3s, virtually all with ID3v2 tags, arranged on another drive in subdirectories by genre, artist, and album.
nhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2003, 09:48   #14
vynegar

hmm sorry for taking so long to reply.. yes all my files have tags
vynegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2003, 19:37   #15
svenni t

I get the error messege to. but my libary is not that big, only about 1000 files. so whats wrong?
svenni t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 22:35   #16
tekorei

if you have playlists in your library back them up (save them in a file) before doing this, then import them from file when done
open your Programs folder.
open "Winamp" folder
open "plugins" folder
delete "ml"
restart winamp. add folders/files to Media Library again.
the error will not appear again, thanks JanM
tekorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support