Old 30th April 2010, 01:45   #1
dave.haku

Visualization plugins fail with .m4a files

In a nutshell:

Any visualization plug-in will not react to the music if the file being played is .m4a:
  • The visualization comes up and renders idle animations, but does not move with the music or beats.
  • The problem happens with .m4a files (CD playback, .mp3 files and Line-in work fine, I didn't try with more sources).
  • All visualization plug-ins seem to fail (at least the three included with Winamp: AVS, MilkDrop and Tiny Fullscreen). The oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer in the skin work fine.

For a time I was noting that MilkDrop wouldn't react to the music, but only recently I got to narrow it down to .m4a/Visualization-Plugin. Is there hope in getting MilkDrop to work with my .m4a files? I already invested quite some time making .m4a files of my Music . I couldn't find references to this problem elsewhere.

I am using MilkDrop 2.2/Winamp 5.572/Win7-64bit/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670.
dave.haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 04:03   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, I think you might have found a bug...

Some Milkdrop presets just don't seem to do anything at all with m4a files (he-aac & lc-aac).
eg. Geiss - Cosmic Dust 2 (all 3 mixes), Inkblot, Liquid Beats, Motion Blur 2... and others, are just a blank screen,
but all presets work fine with mp3.
However, some MD presets do work ok with m4a, just not all.

We'll look into it and hopefully fix it for the next release.
Or if it's an easy fix and just requires an updated in_mp4.dll, then it might get posted here...

Thanks
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
m4a, milkdrop, mp4, visualization