Old 30th January 2005, 16:39   #1
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Why I might have been cold

Well I found this the last night:

cunningly covered with a piece of blue tacked on paper.

On closer inspection we see that

yes that's outside you can see, the place where it's been unbelievably cold the past few months.

So I have made a half assed attempt to fix the problem

with an unused towel

and some tape to seal the hole better

And the moral of the story is 1) Never use Keylet EVER AGAIN. and 2) Always look behind every piece of furniture in a shared place - it may be hiding deamons.

My bed is usually flush infront of the speakers so I can't see it. But my luck wasn't all that great, I used the last of the tape before I could seal all the edges.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 17:10   #2
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yeah this house was apparently all double-glazed last year, and the landlord had cunningly put furniture in front of the places where they'd neglected to re-plaster the walls.

And then there was a picture on the wall in my housemate's room - the only picture in the house - at about waist height, which was odd. So he took it off and there was this vast hole in the wall hiding behind it.

Nice speakers.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 18:01   #3
yenerich
Banned

lol
yenerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 20:25   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Ghetto lyfestylez

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 20:33   #5
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

The deposit money might be going down the drain if you're not careful

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 23:21   #6
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

Yeah, look at that big hole you put in the wall. And then you tried to HIDE it.
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 23:36   #7
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

What is this Prison?
You don't have to burrow your way out!
Use the Door!

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 00:08   #8
RaceGT

I would cut the hole a little bigger and make a little escape hatch out of it.
RaceGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 01:09   #9
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
What is this Prison?
You don't have to burrow your way out!
Use the Door!
I was just thinking the same thing! The first thing I thought of when I saw the hole was a prison breakout
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 18:17   #10
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

emm just one question? Have you got a gas fire or any thing similar in that room? If so at least leave some of the vent open.
It looks like a vent from your second piccy. If you have no gas fire or appliance then I'd suspect it's to stop condensation.

Looking at the pics I'd say thats a hmm maybe post war circa late 40's early 50's building and unless the gas appliances are present the vent is for condensation/damp problems. Houses of that period are notorious for it especially around bay windows similar to that.

My only concern is if you've blocked the vent and you have gas appliances. If so you run the risk of 'Carbon Monoxide' build up witch is extremely dangerous! (I.E. Lethally So!!).

Just thought I would mention, I understand your reason as your cold or your room is but vents are generally there for a reason usally because of gas appliances in the room.
Those houses (I'm English originally remember so I reconised the style immediately) generally did have a gas fire in the front room/s.

If you it have covered like that and you do have gas appliance/s in there please ensure you have left adequate ventalation in some other way.

~

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 22:29   #11
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

It's more Victorian I think

There was a gas fire I think but it's been disconnected. There's also a fireplace that isn't used now either. So I think I'm safe.

Old 31st January 2005, 23:02   #12
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
It's more Victorian I think
[Image]

There was a gas fire I think but it's been disconnected. There's also a fireplace that isn't used now either. So I think I'm safe.
Ah yeah thats a better picture. Definately pre-war Georgian. You can tell this by the high steep peaks of the dormers at the top of the bay window. Also the arched archatrave gives it away. If it was Victorian you would probably find bricked up windows due to the then 'window tax' during the late victorian/early georgian period. I can't see any of those houses with that so it's more than likely mid-georgian.

Anyway, pleased to hear the fire isn't used and theres no gas. Would hate myself if I didn't offer the advice and summit bad happened ...

Hope your nice and warm now but if I remember where you come from right(Consett) then you got a hard job - 'specially this time of year! ^_^

Used to go sledding up them parts when I was a kid at the resovoir
Awesome!! lol

Still seems your safe which was my main point

Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

Old 31st January 2005, 23:46   #13
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
Anyway, pleased to hear the fire isn't used and theres no gas. Would hate myself if I didn't offer the advice and summit bad happened ...

Hope your nice and warm now but if I remember where you come from right(Consett) then you got a hard job - 'specially this time of year! ^_^ [/B]
Thanks

I was only in Consett for a year doing an industrial placement for uni. I spent the past year back in Nottingham doing my final year. The past 4 months I've been living in Cardiff, working.

Old 1st February 2005, 00:34   #14
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
I was only in Consett for a year doing an industrial placement for uni.
oh! I thought thats where your from - My mistake sorry (See what assumptions do lol)..

I probably wouldn't have thought of it if it hadn't been for the fact that a guy called Duncan Stewart wasn't doing an ad about problems in this area. i.e. the carbon monoxide gas thing and the dangers of blocking vents. Then when I reconised the house style it twigged you just may have a gas fire...other wise I would have missed it.

I'm just a safety freak is all, but you know what they say 'est to be safe than sorry' ^_^

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions