Old 13th July 2003, 20:31   #281
BullGawD
Cool Guy.
(Forum King)

metemike, err, Mike

I didn't review your skin, so I can't be sure of your situation, but please read this:

Quote:
quoted from the Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Skin Submission thread.

What happend to the sports skins?

AOL owns Nullsoft, the company that publishes Winamp and upkeep's the Winamp.com web site. Recently (August 31ish, 2001) AOL corporate notified the Webmaster of Winamp.com that they were very displeased by the fact that Winamp.com allowed major league sport skins to be published on their website. A list of skins to be deleted was sent along with this message, as well as the instructions not to publish any more 'NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL or college team skins' on the site. We of the Skin Review Squad apologise to the authors of such skins, and suggest that you try DeviantArt,1001 Winamp Skins, or any other of the numerous sites that publish Winamp 2.xx skins.
Now, obviously, if your skin involves a high school or some other non-professional/non-collegiate team, it technically should have been allowed, assuming all the skinning requirements were met and no objectional material was in the skin.

This could simply have been a case of a European reviewer not familiar with the teams in question erring on the side of safety.

I repeat though, without a CID #, nothing can be done.

...a blatant person.
Old 13th July 2003, 20:51   #282
DianaTrees

Quote:
Originally posted by BullGawD
[B]OK - I'll try to do these one at a time.
Diana Trees for someone who doesn't care, you sure have been hittin' that refresh button an awful lot today. Here's your situation: You made your skins (at least from what I can see by what's left in the database) with a skinning program that "spits out" a skin from an image. There is a beef with these type of skins to begin with, because they require no effort, and they clog the database with nice pictures turned into ugly skins. This is not just the opinion of "elitist" skinners, but most people who have difficulty navigating the database bacause of the sheer number of such skins.
It isn't that the skin was removed that bothers, BullGawD ... it's that Winamp called me a thief:
Quote:
Your component 'Diana Vampire Goddess' is now gone forever. The component is a duplicate of another component. If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your case. Thank you. - Winamp Skin Review Team
I've read the explanation that it would be too time-consuming to tell everyone the real reason their skins were removed. And that's what I find offensive. I've gone through databases "one-by-one", so I know it's a lot of trouble. Vicous, mind-breaking stuff.

And I've also written quick programs to send out auto-e-mail when necessary. Not hard at all.

That the Winamp Team chose a generic "you're a thief" message to send out to all of us who were removed -- no matter whether it was true -- engenders shock, rage and the Refresh button (as you noted above).

I've yet to see a "Damn, you're right. We shouldn't have sent a blanket message accussing people of wrong-doing when we knew the blanket wouldn't cover everyone."

A better message would have been: "Your skin no longer meets the criteria of Winamp. Should you choose to appeal this decision, click here."

But no. A brainless, arrogant, offensive, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging approach.

As I said before. Search the database for my name, and remove all of my skins.
Old 13th July 2003, 20:59   #283
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

go to your skin submission page and do it yourself. You voluntarily submitted your skins to the database. The datebase belongs to AOL to do with what they wish. If you don't like it, remove your own skins, I have already enough to do than to babysit you.
Old 13th July 2003, 21:00   #284
DianaTrees

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
go to your skin submission page and do it yourself. You voluntarily submitted your skins to the database. The datebase belongs to AOL to do with what they wish. If you don't like it, remove your own skins, I have already enough to do than to babysit you.
Yep. Arrogant.

I love it when someone else makes my point.
Old 13th July 2003, 21:12   #285
BullGawD
Cool Guy.
(Forum King)

I believe Wally's point was that if you seriously wanted your skins taken down - rather than to simply make a scene - and since you have not mentioned any inability to login to your account, you would have removed your skins yourself and stopped posting after your initial few posts. Rather than be sorry, you appear to revel in wasting your time on Winamp. The simple fact is that we have no power to fix what your major complaint seems to be.

I was simply trying to illustrate that the people you are expressing your anger to cannot fix your major complaint, and that in fact, (as there are people with similar complaints involving the rip, duplicate and incompatible messages) it is likely that none of the options available to us would have caused you to feel any differently.

If you seriously would like to see this changed, you'll need to attempt to contact admin, or to start a thread in bitchlist or wherever else you deem fit, with a topic such as "Add "Your skin no longer meets the requirements for submission" to the reviewers reasons for removal interface."

Please stop posting in this thread unless you want something specific done about the skin that was deleted.

...a blatant person.
Old 13th July 2003, 21:35   #286
DianaTrees

It's been more than four years, BullGawD. I can't login in anymore. Can't remember user/pass. But I thank you for the kind and thoughtful reply. I take back the "knuckle-dragging" comment. There is at least one Cool Guy, Major Dude in this thread.

I appreciate the information.
Old 13th July 2003, 22:01   #287
Skins

Send a message via AIM to Skins Send a message via Yahoo to Skins
Ok look up man....CID..........ill re post though

Name PYRUS
Old 13th July 2003, 23:47   #288
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

In preparation for a new winamp site and database, the current database is undergoing a major overhaul. That means all skins that do not pass current publishing requirements are being removed and when the new site is ready the rest will be ported over.

Now this database is old and finicky, and as a result the e-mail you will be getting informing you of your skin removal might say it was a rip, it was not. It was most likely incomplete. These are the requirements for a complete skin:

Main Window
Equalizer
Playlist
Minibrowser
Buttons and Sliders should be visible

Studio (Library and AVS Windows using gen.bmp and genex.bmp) and/or Video Windows are not required for publication at this time, but their absence will affect the Completeness/Functionality and Aesthetics ratings, up to the particular reviewer).

If your skin does not live up to these standards it could be removed.

There are also some content requirements regarding nudity, drugs, major league and college sports, and any skin that by its nature creates controversy and hate, i.e. Israeli and Palestinian skins. We do not take sides on these issues, neither will be allowed.

These rules will also be applied to all skins ported to the new site.

So in short, I would like to apologize to all the people who will get the wrong message over the next few weeks (months), Admin is aware of these problems and they are working hard to fix it by providing a whole new site. That does means problems on the old site are not likely to be fixed anymore. Please bear with us.

For the Skin Review Squad,

wildrose-wally
Old 14th July 2003, 00:39   #289
ghost 41

Unhappy clean out skins

OK...i would just like to say i love winamp. Now I just want to express my opinion about this skin ripping ordeal.

I got an e-mail saying my DAVE MATTHEWS AMP [Component ID: 16822] is a rip. I made this thing like 4 years ago and now you are throwing it out? You guys are indian giving and besides..there are plenty of way crappier skins on this website than that. You approve it and then you boot it. Yes, this skin is simple. NO, I did not steal it. Yes, I did use a skinner program. Yes I used a picture from the internet. Yes, I used photoshop.

As you can see by my other work, Dave Matthews Band [Component ID: 56767], I skinned it fully. The only program i used was photoshop. Maybe in the beginning you should judge people's work more closely before approving it and that would have solved your space problem.

I just read that you are clearing out all amps that are not fully skinned. My e-mail said nothing about that. It just says YOUR SKING IS A RIP. I have read that you have no other option to choose from. That is obsurd. You should make the INCOMPLETE SKIN topic an option. You can't just go around "accusing" people and making them mad. You should have taken a different approach as well and not posting a crazy threaded message board post. You probably should have posted a large message on the main page. One that people can see easily read and see.

ok...boot it if you have to. I like it....and the user rating is high. I don't understand why you would delete something that people like
Old 14th July 2003, 01:03   #290
bugdog

I just got a SECOND email about another skin I did a couple of years ago.
I'm with Diana. I have no problem being told it's incomplete, doesn't work with Winamp3 or whatever, but being told it's a rip annoys the crap out of me.
I appreciate the whole "sorry for the generic letter" thing but it's not a generic letter. I'd be fine with a freaking generic letter.

For those of you who say we're just complaining, how would you feel if you got an email saying that you stole something when you know you hadn't? The tone of the email is really crappy, too. Kind of like "nyah nyah, you stole this from someone else and now it's gone! Got a problem with that, bitch?"

I figure I'll get about four or five more of these. One of them has a british camo theme that I worked damn hard on and that email will really piss me off.
Old 14th July 2003, 01:56   #291
metemike

CID#

How can I get a CID # when the thing has been deleted and they did not reference the CID#. U had already cleared this thing up over a year ago and here we are again. Should I just repost with comments so our euro-buds can understand the realm here???

Zappa's Ghost.....

Metemike
Old 14th July 2003, 02:04   #292
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

If your skin has nothing to do with major league or college sports in the USA, re-submit. A mention in the comment section would be a great help.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:08   #293
Skins

ok.....wally......can you supply a template for the Studio......That would really help.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:46   #294
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

These two skinning tools will have everything you need.
http://classic.winamp.com/skins/deta...ponentId=71571
http://classic.winamp.com/skins/deta...onentId=126738
Old 14th July 2003, 02:52   #295
Skins

(thanks man)

Is anyone going to help with my appeal.....or am i jsut going to sit here......onve agin teh CID# is 134579
Old 14th July 2003, 03:21   #296
Skins

k man....... thanks for the template skin man....
Old 14th July 2003, 13:16   #297
schwoby

Send a message via Yahoo to schwoby
RIP???

if you think that winamp is full of $#!%, then your not the only one. they clame that you have ripped off someone else and they delete your skin, and then say "...Oh, it wasn't a rip, we just don't like your skin and want to make more room on our server" I am now done with winamp and everything to do with it, and i encourage others to do the same. FORGET YOU WINAMP!!!
Old 14th July 2003, 13:20   #298
Zudnic

Hi,

Three of my skins were deleted, EagleAmp 3.0, 3.3 and 2.0. From what I gather it was because it included a copyrighted logo for a sports team.

Yet as I browse skins today, I still see several up there that include copyrighted information (even ones including the very same logos I used in my skin).

If you are going to clobber my work from your site, please consistently apply the rules.
Old 14th July 2003, 13:39   #299
schwoby

Lightbulb one more thing

if skins are tuly incompleate, so according to winamp, they should have never been accepted in the first place!!! winamp just shows their own arrogance and abbuse of polices by doing this. It would also be nice to know what actually was missing, if it truly is missing pieces. if a skin showes up and works the way it is supposed to, doesn't it contain all needed pieces???? FORGET YOU WINAMP and your mother too, AOL!!!
Old 14th July 2003, 14:29   #300
Skins

Smile Mods Are Our Freinds!

(ok to save somt time for the mods) [Correct me if im wrong mods]

Umm......They deleate Incompleate Skins.......That means
Main Window
Playlist
And Gods Greatest Tool The Equalizer
(with visible buttons and sliders)

Skins get deleated if all of these are not there

And like Judge Edo In the OJ simpson Trials.....I assume that the judges must be impartial to wheterh they like it.....til the whole voting begins.... If theres somthing "Similer" (My Skin Frameless v1.0 is a "Similer skin to the DOS Amp "Style" so thats why it was a rip").... or the skin i s incompleast...then its there Judicil Duty to decline the skin. I qoute "Theres no option to submit an incompleate skin." And who wants a skin that has only the Mainwindow anyway.......

As For You......Names Dont Matter To The Mods....you need your CID# .... if they were deleated ill tell you a little trick. Re submit them and open them with the edit option. Then The last numbers in the URL window is the CID#...... its really the easyest way i know how to get it....... another thing......i think since winamp 5 is coming there cleaning out like older versins of skins......check to see if a skin like your skins is still there...... if it is then they just want the most recent version...(i guess anyway).... (note to the nice guys at winamp: it would be easy to include the CID# in the "Rip" emails )

And as for the accepting thing.......they cant really filter for compleastness with teh whole sumbiting skins thing......The file is just sent to them and they check it out..... But i agree that they should use adiffernt E-mail for incompleast skind.....not the "Rip" email.

Well im done actin like a mod.........hope i didnt piss any of you mods off.....its jsut ive basicly been told this hundreds of time.....so i figred help someone out.

As for you wally....while im waiting for you to appeal PYRUS .... about Pimptastic.

Pimptastic is a compleatly original idea.....

But i have decided to change it like you had asked....

And ive gotten Pimptastic 2.0......it should be headed your way shortly........ (alas i got anew computer and im transfering files......so it might take while)

Another Question for Anyone who knows waht to do Out there.........
What do i do if a skin is too big.......is there any way you guys at winamp will accept it? or do i need to make it smaller? or should i just not bother and put it on my independent site? ....... I bring this up because my newest skin (Metallica Amp) is redy for submission but its 926KB and it says it woulnt accept it. just wondering what to do.......

PS.
I ask this question becauseof the whole copywright issue...... Would a Winamp Skin That looks or emulates DiviX Player be a issue.....there is no mention of DiviX, but it looks similer to DiviX...i dont have a Screenshot now.....but i will post one in my next post, any information about weather there is an issue would be appreacated....so if there is anything i need to change i can change it....or if it isnt acceptable......just to not bother submitting.

Well Thanks for all the help......

Winamp 5
Sill waiting.................

Last edited by Skins; 14th July 2003 at 14:52.
Old 14th July 2003, 17:02   #301
gorhkor

I've received an email saying that my skin "Love Hina 4ever" is a rip ! Bullshit ! I've made this skin 3 years ago !!
Old 14th July 2003, 17:41   #302
StealthRT

Send a message via ICQ to StealthRT
Cool My appeal!

To the Appeals representatives.

I received this today.
Your component 'Unreal Fortress' is now gone forever.

The component is a rip of another component

If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your case.

Thank you.

- Winamp Skin Review Team

My Unreal Fortress skin was done totally by me and my art programs and no one elses influence for sure. This even won an award. So, you see I am quite upset by this notice. Please explain and review my winamp skin Unreal Fortress.

Thank you,
Kris
Old 14th July 2003, 21:53   #303
marceldy

hi,

i have just received an email saying one of the skins i made was deleted cause there are "problems during installation".
no offense, but this pre-formatted mail is s***. i know my skins are not complete and are not the best ones (i made them couple o' years ago...).
you could just say "the skin you submitted is not complete and will be deleted for this reason", if that's the true reason why most of the skins are currently beeing removed. but ok, it's _your_ decision...

to be honest, i don't use winamp that much anymore, cause winamp2 is quite limited and wa3... let's say it's a resource killer

GO, foobar2000!!

regards, marcel.

EDIT: i am now going to delete my other skins as well... --> Done.

Last edited by marceldy; 14th July 2003 at 22:13.
Old 15th July 2003, 02:37   #304
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

In preparation for a new winamp site and database, the current database is undergoing a major overhaul. That means all skins that do not pass current publishing requirements are being removed and when the new site is ready the rest will be ported over.

Now this database is old and finicky, and as a result the e-mail you will be getting informing you of your skin removal might say there were problems during installation or it was a rip, it was not. It was most likely incomplete. These are the requirements for a complete skin:

Main Window
Equalizer
Playlist
Minibrowser

Studio (Library and AVS Windows using gen.bmp and genex.bmp) and/or Video Windows are not required for publication at this time, but their absence will affect the Completeness/Functionality and Aesthetics ratings, up to the particular reviewer).

If your skin does not live up to these standards it could be removed.

There are also some content requirements regarding nudity, drugs, major league and college sports, and any skin that by its nature creates controversy and hate, i.e. Israeli and Palestinian skins. We do not take sides on these issues, neither will be allowed.

These rules will also be applied to all skins ported to the new site.

So in short, I would like to apologize to all the people who will get the wrong message over the next few weeks (months), Admin is aware of these problems and they are working hard to fix it by providing a whole new site. That does means problems on the old site are not likely to be fixed anymore. Please bear with us.

For the Skin Review Squad,

wildrose-wally
Old 15th July 2003, 11:50   #305
bugdog

How hard would it be for them to add a few reasons into the email that's being sent out BESIDES 'rip'?

Not hard at all if they know what they're doing.
Old 15th July 2003, 13:13   #306
schwoby

if you want to get rid of skins and such, to make room for your new site, just put on the web site that anything under a sertain ratting will be deleated automatically, and then when you send us your $#!% mail you can put a link to that and avoide all of the "rip" and other crap e-mail complaints!!!

FORGET YOU WINAMP
Old 15th July 2003, 16:18   #307
ghost 41

They can program a mp3 player...but they cannot communicate with people or program an e-mail program that says something other than RIP.

Ironic
Old 16th July 2003, 05:44   #308
sz1

Send a message via ICQ to sz1
Hi,

My skin was unpublished. Reason:
"Component preview images are too dark. Please fix component bitmaps. Change the 16 bit BMPs to 24 bit BMPs."

All bitmaps in my skin are 16 color (4 bit). Should I convert them to 24bit?

Yes, I think I have to. Just that makes the whole skins not as optimized as it is now.

Last edited by sz1; 16th July 2003 at 06:01.
Old 16th July 2003, 22:40   #309
archerlink

Send a message via AIM to archerlink Send a message via Yahoo to archerlink
Unhappy major league/collegiate sports skins not allowed!?

I recently got an email saying that my Georgia Tech skin has been deleted because of "objectionable material". I was at first very angry thinking that some University of Georgia fan had found a way to get my skin deleted, but after reading the appeal thread, I have come to find out that somebody at AOL doesn't want to have major league/collegiate sports team skins in the database. From a legal standpoint, I understand their position. They don't want to be sued for infringing on copywrited material. However, the skinners themselves are not making any money off of these skins (at least I'm not!) I suppose that since NullSoft is a for-profit organization, it could be construed that they are in a way profitting from the use of these images. I just think it's unfortunate that the skins can't be published on the winamp site. I'll have to upload them to deviantart i guess. It would be nice if we didn't have to jump through hoops just to show our support for our favorite teams. I don't see any "official merchandise" skins out there for Georgia Tech and many other teams! Uggh!
Old 18th July 2003, 09:51   #310
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Appeals from original thread merged in here, I can't even begin to work out what post belongs to which reply so the whole damd lot is merged in here.

Bleh
Old 19th July 2003, 23:14   #311
Shadowfax3000

You removed my "Windows XP Platinum 2" skin. It isn't a duplicate of another one on there by me, called "WinXP Amp Platinum." It's an updated version.
Old 19th July 2003, 23:31   #312
Mykaella

Now I'm confused. I posted here, received an e-mail that said 'flatmatt' posted, and now I see neither. What gives?
Old 20th July 2003, 00:06   #313
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Your post as well as all others before July 18 were moved to the history thread, as mentioned in the post above by Mr Jones.
Old 20th July 2003, 00:26   #314
Mykaella

I submitted my post *after* the one (from 'Mr Jones') that says everything was moved. And I can't find mine in the history thread either.
Old 20th July 2003, 00:46   #315
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Your post seems to have disappeared from the system. Says you've only posted twice. Hmmm.
Old 20th July 2003, 00:49   #316
Mykaella

Well, you may or may not have replyed to my original post, since I got notification that you posted after I did. Any chance you remember seeing it?
Old 21st July 2003, 18:39   #317
souhjiro

I wanna know why my alone in the dark skin is not published what's wrong with it and why hasn't my Silent Hill 2 (Green) skin been published either?
Old 21st July 2003, 18:49   #318
Daishy

I've posted a Winamp Plugin (does this belong to this thread, too? I hope so).
Now i've got an email: Your component 'Phat Bass' is now unpublished.
Because of missing picture. My prob is, i've never heard of this 'Phat Bass' component. i didn't mention it in my descritptions etc. Just a wrong email, or what?
Thx, for help
Old 21st July 2003, 19:58   #319
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by souhjiro
I wanna know why my alone in the dark skin is not published what's wrong with it and why hasn't my Silent Hill 2 (Green) skin been published either?
They will not be published because they are not complete.

Minimum requirements:
Main Window
Equalizer
Playlist
Minibrowser

Old 22nd July 2003, 02:03   #320
T.D.10

Hi um....I made a skin awhile back. called TDskin.

And just submitted like ....4 new skins today, all related more or less to the first one.

Um. I just wanna know how come my skins seemed to have vanished from my Resources page?

I havent really gotten an email regarding them either .
User name is Tdblitz.

Are they gone? are they deleted? what happened?

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Skin and Plug-in Rip Reporting for Removal